PDA

View Full Version : Leg Hair Help

dazeydayze
May 16th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Hey everyone! I believe in the power of LHC to help me with this problem that I've been having for years. It's really embarrassing and has hindered me from reaching my potential self confidence.

So here's the deal: the hair on my calves is, for some reason, ridiculously thick. When I shave, my legs will feel smooth to the touch, but you can see black 'dots' where the hair follicles (I think that's what it's called?) are. It's so embarrassing! I'm really ashamed of my legs :undecided

My doctor says it can mean I have unbalanced hormones, aka too much testosterone. So he prescribed birth control to help balance them out, which helped a bit. But the problem remains.

So, my question is:
has anyone else experienced this?
if so, what helped you?
if not, do you have any tips that you think may help?
Any knowledge about hair thickness to share?

Things I've tried:
Exfoliating before shaving
Using shaving cream, of course
Soaking my legs in hot water prior to shaving
Using really expensive razors
Lotioning up my legs every night..

Nothing has helped as much as the birth control prescription has.

bettylibertine
May 16th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Do you only have a problem with the hair on your legs? And have you had any problems with your ovaries?

Just curious (and don't worry I doubt this is what's up with you, just thought I'd chuck it out there) because when I was having problems with my ovaries, the excess hormones caused a wee bit of extra growth on my arms and legs etc.

Mind you, I'm Greek so that didn't help much in the first place lol. :p

Sorry I can't be of more help :o

dazeydayze
May 16th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Do you only have a problem with the hair on your legs? And have you had any problems with your ovaries?

Just curious (and don't worry I doubt this is what's up with you, just thought I'd chuck it out there) because when I was having problems with my ovaries, the excess hormones caused a wee bit of extra growth on my arms and legs etc.

Mind you, I'm Greek so that didn't help much in the first place lol. :p

Sorry I can't be of more help :o

Yes, It's only on my legs. It's so weird because the hair on my thighs are perfectly normal in thickness! And no, I haven't had any problems with my ovaries. At least not that I'm aware of (knock on wood!) lol

No need to apologize! help is help :)

HintOfMint
May 16th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Try waxing, your hair grows back finer each time. Just make sure to do it in the fall and winter and do it regularly. I say this because waxing requires growing your hair out a little bit each time to give the wax something to grab onto. It's not exactly easy to do this in the summer when we wear shorts, but easy to do in the winter.

Other than that, I feel ya. I have dark hair and even though I have dark skin, it still stands out.

Aud200
May 16th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I don't have this problem (sorry!!) but have you ever tried a depilatory cream (like Nair)? I have, and the results were fairly good but I do not have very thick hair and it was a little too much peeling of my skin for my taste.

Please don't be ashamed!!! You are certainly not the only one who this happens to, it is understood that it's not your fault!! People can tell the difference between not shaving and having thick hair and the "black dots" so to speak.

dazeydayze
May 16th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Try waxing, your hair grows back finer each time. Just make sure to do it in the fall and winter and do it regularly. I say this because waxing requires growing your hair out a little bit each time to give the wax something to grab onto. It's not exactly easy to do this in the summer when we wear shorts, but easy to do in the winter.

Other than that, I feel ya. I have dark hair and even though I have dark skin, it still stands out.

Great advice! thank you
I think I'll give waxing a go if I can't find a cheaper solution. Do you think I'll have to keep waxing to keep the hair fine? Or will the results last?

Flossy
May 16th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I use an epilator, and once you get used to the initial discomfort, it's the best thing ever. It keeps the hairs away as long as waxing, but they don't have to be as long as they do when waxing for the epilator to 'grab' them. I even use it on my 'pits now (when I can be bothered). The hairs get finer the longer you use it, and after 9 years of constant use I have maybe 3 hairs per square centimetre on my legs, and my armpits are super fine (like you can only see them close up).

Your legs are always soft too! No spikiness like when shaving. And cheaper in the long run. My epilator lasted for 9 years before I had to replace it just recently.

dazeydayze
May 16th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I don't have this problem (sorry!!) but have you ever tried a depilatory cream (like Nair)? I have, and the results were fairly good but I do not have very thick hair and it was a little too much peeling of my skin for my taste.

Please don't be ashamed!!! You are certainly not the only one who this happens to, it is understood that it's not your fault!! People can tell the difference between not shaving and having thick hair and the "black dots" so to speak.

Yes, I've tried Nair. I left it on for the maximum time of ten minutes. Regardless, I still had to shave to actually remove the hair. It did seem to help a bit, though. I'm just hoping for a more permanent solution, you know?

And thank you for your support! I just get so self conscious when I see every other girl with flawless legs >_<

dazeydayze
May 16th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Anyone have an estimate of how much laser treatments would cost?

dazeydayze
May 16th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I use an epilator, and once you get used to the initial discomfort, it's the best thing ever. It keeps the hairs away as long as waxing, but they don't have to be as long as they do when waxing for the epilator to 'grab' them. I even use it on my 'pits now (when I can be bothered). The hairs get finer the longer you use it, and after 9 years of constant use I have maybe 3 hairs per square centimetre on my legs, and my armpits are super fine (like you can only see them close up).

Your legs are always soft too! No spikiness like when shaving. And cheaper in the long run. My epilator lasted for 9 years before I had to replace it just recently.

Oh wow! I like the sound of that :) I'm definitely going to do some further research on epilators. Thank you!

aurorabridge
May 16th, 2011, 10:42 PM
ETA: Sorry I didn't see that you had replied.

Dark Queen
May 16th, 2011, 11:17 PM

Oh wow! I like the sound of that :) I'm definitely going to do some further research on epilators. Thank you!

I second the epilator. It may take some getting used to depending on your skin sensitivity (some people find it painful), but if you're able to use one, it will help in the long run. I find it much better than waxing. I've always had rather thick body hair, but I've been using an epilator nearly a year and it's made quite the difference. I'm able to go a few weeks without using it, whereas I previously had to shave every other day or so. Personally I didn't find it painful at all, but YMMV. I also wouldn't recommend getting a cheapy one because they tend to be more harsh and will be more likely to hurt. I'd recommend looking into the Braun line if you can; they're the best I've seen.

CrystalStar
May 17th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I would suggest any hair removal method that rips the hair out at the root like epilating or waxing, OR save up some money and have laser hair removal done on your legs. You supposedly need about 6 goes of it to pretty much annhilate any hair there!

julliams
May 17th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I use an epilator too but I just wanted to warn you that you will absolutely need to exfoliate often if you use one. What can happen is ingrowns which is only going to make your current issue worse. I have light hairs but I get ingrowns too and then I end up with a nasty red looking bump with a black dot in it and a hair that is trapped underneath. I believe it's because the hair grows back finer and can't get through the skin but keeps growing.

The best tip I got when using an epilator is to start with short hairs (like around 4 - 6mm long). Longer hairs will hurt more coming out. Also contrary to what might seem like the best thing to do, use the slow setting and move very slowly over the area. I've been using the fast setting and moving quickly and it seems that my hair was simply breaking off and therefore growing back in as fast as with shaving. My last time I went slow on the slow speed and the regrowth has been much slower so I must have actually taken out more hairs by the root.

Finally, always make sure you do this in the evening and two days before you are going out since you get red dots that take a whole day to go down.

Best of luck.

sycamoreboutiqu
May 17th, 2011, 12:37 AM
What about actually using tweezers on the really thick hairs ? If it is limited to a defined area - you could just do a section every other day or so and keep at it until they start to diminish.

Would be the same thing as the epiliator - just cheaper and take longer.

torrilin
May 17th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Did your doctor order tests for their hormone theory, or did they just throw pills at you?

Because if you haven't been tested... ugh. Hormone imbalances are pretty scary stuff, and it would be unusual for you to have only one symptom like this.

Hailes
May 17th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I have the same problem as you but I have iot on all of my leg up to the thigh! However the thigh hairs arnt as thick as my calf ones but still quite thick! I would love to get lazer treatment but it seems so costly and I can not afford it Lol think I may look into the epilator. I too have been to my DR's and they gave me Dianette (contraceptive pills with more estrogen) and I did notice a difference! But I have not had any tests either, and I have gone to my DR's really down about it before. I am kind of learning to deal and live with it but it is a pain I have to shave like every 2 days and I love to go swimming so I can't wax anymore unless I spend 2weeks not going swimming so I can grow them. In winter I tend to wax or when I am due for a holiday as in my experience so far this has gave me the best results, but I have not tried the epilator. I get ingrowing hairs too, they are annoying!

Chetanlaiho
May 17th, 2011, 06:10 AM
I can't help much but I have the same issue sadly, my leghair is crazy thick and really dark (which ironically is what I wish my fine brown hair on my head to be xD) and even if I've literally j&#250;st shaved you can still see dots and it still feels 'rough' :/ (makes me really self conscious too, I never wear skirts or shorts without tights or really high socks even though I really want to)

I've just started using shaving cream and honestly it mostly got me a whole lot of razor cuts :/ using the creams that dissolve the hair is my next step but after reading this thread I'm definitely gonna look into epilators (think my sister uses one as well). I've never heard of birth control pills for the issue, I'm a bit afraid of starting it due to effects it may have on my hair ^^;

mrs_coffee
May 17th, 2011, 06:11 AM
ITA with epilating or waxing. The hair on my legs and armpits is baby fine now and much more sparse since I started waxing.

Lilli
May 17th, 2011, 06:19 AM

Me, too. They are cheap, esp. compared with waxing. I have a Braun.

cygus
May 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I agree with trying waxing and even the epilator (though that always gave me more ingrowns). Both pull hair from the roots (which is what you're seeing - the 'dots') and should decrease the thickness of the hair and weaken the roots over time.

another option i've been doing recently is lasering, but its expensive. I happened to know someone who went to laser parties, where a bunch of women get together at someone's house and the technician would come over and charge wholesale prices. they don't have to worry about the cost of the salon, rent, etc. Might be an option in your area, look online to see if anything out there, or maybe you can create your own party by advertising on craig's list or something like that. usually the hostess gets and even more discounted rate because she's bringing in all this business for the technician.

Unbridled4
May 17th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Second the suggestion for the epilator. I got an Emjoi maybe four years ago, and it's the greatest thing ever. You can just run it up and down your legs every couple of days, and it doesn't hurt. Seriously. You might want to wax first to get the initial growth off, but epilators for maintenance are the best. With waxing you have to wait for enough hairs to grow back for the wax to "grab"; since the epilator is just fast-spinning tweezers, it doesn't care how much hair you have.

maborosi
May 17th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Just curious, even though I see your sig picture, I can't really tell lol. But do you have extremely fair/translucent skin? No matter how close I shave, I can see the 'black dots' underneath my skin because I'm so fair.

I don't know how/if waxing would help it, but I think it's worth a try! Just be sure if you're going to wax it to do kind of a patch test and wait 24 hours- I found out that I get really bad skin reactions from wax so I can't use it. :(

~maborosi~

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I don't have this problem; I have hardly any hair on my legs and what I do have is white blonde. However, when i was at uni a girl there had the same problem due to polycystic ovaries. she had excellent results with laser treatment.

tigereye
May 17th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I have the same problem, but more on my underarms, and a little on my lower legs. The hair on my upper legs and arms have really fine, light hairs so are not a problem. Shaving leaves dark roots, I don't like waxing and I was allergic to the Nair hair removal cream. (not fun) I have ordered an epilator, so we'll see how that goes.

Kristamommyx3
May 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Yes, It's only on my legs. It's so weird because the hair on my thighs are perfectly normal in thickness! And no, I haven't had any problems with my ovaries. At least not that I'm aware of (knock on wood!) lol

No need to apologize! help is help :)

What you are describing is exactly what I have and I'm blonde! When I was in my teens, it was more noticeable, and it got lighter and lighter over the years. I'm now 31, and my thigh hair has gone totally blonde, and my calf hair is light brown. BUT, it was just like you said from about the ages of 13 through my early 20's. Time lightens body hair usually. Until then you could do what I did, shave every morning, again before going out if wearing a dress, and use tanning lotion regularly on my legs to minimize the contrast. Have you tried waxing? That would get rid of the whole hair for at least a week before a big trip or event? Nads works quite well in my opinion.

RecklessCharlie
May 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I have an imbalance of hormones as well, higher testosterone, but I declined the doctors prescribed 'solutions' because I don't feel any negative effects from it and it does make me stronger :) The hair on my arms is quite thick though, but not awfully dark so its not too noticeable.
I would agree with other responses and recommend waxing your legs, from everything I've seen and read it makes a huge difference when done consistently. Hope you can find a good solution :)

teela1978
May 17th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I use an epilator too, I think its probably your cheapest option here. I haven't noticed a huge decrease in the amount or thickness of hair on my legs from using it... but I'm not that hairy to start with. I love that I can just do it once a week-ish and be fine. Exfoliating is key though, as I'm pretty sure someone else mentioned. Ingrowns aren't pretty... mine don't tend to become big red bumps, but rather strange little loops of hair under the thinnest layer of skin that you can just see, like they're too fine to poke through or something. Regular loofah-ing eliminates the problem though.

Firefox7275
May 17th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Another vote for epilating, once you've been removing the hair at the roots for a while regrowth is patchy so it's as fast as shaving. Waxing meant ingrown hairs and I hated waiting for the hair to be long enough. I never found legs hurt; armpits were eye-watering the first time so I epilated in stages but - providing you keep up to it - there is less hair and thus less discomfort thereafter. Healthy eating and regular physical activity can help balance your hormones.

Anje
May 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Just a word of warning: Epilating hurts the first time, and if you go long periods without doing it. I get used to the pain pretty fast, even in my armpits, but some people do find it pretty intense.

Animae
May 17th, 2011, 12:47 PM
For those of you who epilate your legs, what do you use to exfolate your legs and how often to you do it? I've used one on my face for years, but for some reason it has never occurred to me to use it on my legs.

PeacenQuietGal
May 17th, 2011, 01:10 PM
There is a lotion that used daily is supposed to inhibit hair growth - I think it doubles as a self tanner/bronzer as well, which makes it a great product IMO!

Also consider that you may be more sensitive to testosterone, not necessarily that you have too much of it!

BLove
May 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Jergins use to make a lotion that would make the hair on your legs finer. I used it for a while and had good results. It is hard to find now but it cut down my need for saving.

teela1978
May 17th, 2011, 01:33 PM
For those of you who epilate your legs, what do you use to exfolate your legs and how often to you do it? I've used one on my face for years, but for some reason it has never occurred to me to use it on my legs.
I just keep a loofah in the shower and give my legs a quick scrub.

Animae
May 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I just keep a loofah in the shower and give my legs a quick scrub.

thank you!! I have some sugar scrubs that I use before I shave, and a poofy thingy that I use to wash with, so hopefully both of those will be enough exfolation.

ooo
May 17th, 2011, 07:39 PM

I have to exfoliate every day when I'm waxing or epilating :mad: Sometimes I still have ingrowth :mad:

Coming back to the original question. On tanned skin the black dots are going to be less visible. A little tanning already helps :)

ange1ito
May 17th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I agree with most people here, for you to try an epilator or waxing. Do take note with waxing if you are D.I.Ying at home be gentle when pulling the muslin cloth away from skin to avoid abrasions. If you do try it then invest in some ingrow hair lotion and don't forget to exfoliate too. I had a similiar issue when i was younger and after using the epilator i found it did decrease the thickness of the hair and in some areas it has totally gone. I think sometimes it does'nt help if you have dark hair, fair skin. Don't fret too much lots of girls experience this and puberty is such a pain. My daughter also experienced this issue and she feels much more confident since using the epilator. We both use:

http://www.braun.com/uk/female-grooming/silk-epil-epilators/silk-epil-3.html

You don't have to get something too pricey, just a basic one will do the same job. Plus you will make up for the purchase as you won't have to keep buying a shaver every so often. I personally don't recommend the wet and dry one's as I think they don't last as long. My last one lasted almost 8 years before the motor failed, but the blades that do the tweezing were a little blunt by then.

Here's the lotion. It's an Austalian company, I buy it in the larger stores of Boot's in UK but I know you can get it online, depends where has a good deal.

http://www.boots.com/en/Skin-Doctors-Ingrow-Go-Lotion-120ml_14578/

They also sell a product which inhibits the growth. I never tried this however the lady who usually deals with me recommended it as she stated her daughter had been using it for a few months and it was working.

http://www.boots.com/en/Skin-Doctors-Hair-No-More-System-Pack-2-x-100ml-cream-and-1-x-120ml-spray-_14580/

Well good luck.

PamelaViktoria
May 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I have a remington eppilator. I had one years ago and it broke off most off my leg hair. Now they have 2 speeds. The lower speed leaves my legs bare for 2 weeks or so. And the hair gets softer and weaker. I can pull some hairs out now just with my fingernails.

dazeydayze
May 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Wow, this is why I love LHC! You guys have all been such a huge help. :cheese:

I am very fair-skinned, so I'm definitely determined to get a nice tan going on this summer. Like they say, everyone could use a little color :p

As for being tested for hormone unbalance, I was never tested. My doctor did just throw the prescription at me after glancing at my legs. But I feel I have encountered a lot of benefits from BC apart from thinning out my leg hair.

Epilator, waxing-- Seems I've found my answer. :) I'm going to try both of these methods. I have high hopes, especially for the epilator! I'll most definitely go with a Braun one.

I'll be sure to exfoliate often, because I am VERY prone to ingrowns.

I thank you all so much for all of your help! I'm sorry I haven't the time to reply individually, but I do appreciate all the effort you guys put in to helping me find a solution. :) I'll report back here with results as often as I remember to!

Flossy
May 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM
The best tip I got when using an epilator is to start with short hairs (like around 4 - 6mm long). Longer hairs will hurt more coming out. Also contrary to what might seem like the best thing to do, use the slow setting and move very slowly over the area. I've been using the fast setting and moving quickly and it seems that my hair was simply breaking off and therefore growing back in as fast as with shaving. My last time I went slow on the slow speed and the regrowth has been much slower so I must have actually taken out more hairs by the root.

I'm going to try this.

Dark Queen
May 17th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I use an epilator too but I just wanted to warn you that you will absolutely need to exfoliate often if you use one.

What about actually using tweezers on the really thick hairs ? If it is limited to a defined area - you could just do a section every other day or so and keep at it until they start to diminish.

Just curious, even though I see your sig picture, I can't really tell lol. But do you have extremely fair/translucent skin? No matter how close I shave, I can see the 'black dots' underneath my skin because I'm so fair.

Wow, this is why I love LHC! You guys have all been such a huge help. :cheese:
I am very fair-skinned, so I'm definitely determined to get a nice tan going on this summer. Like they say, everyone could use a little color :p
Epilator, waxing-- Seems I've found my answer. :) I'm going to try both of these methods. I have high hopes, especially for the epilator! I'll most definitely go with a Braun one.

I'll be sure to exfoliate often, because I am VERY prone to ingrowns.

I thank you all so much for all of your help! I'm sorry I haven't the time to reply individually, but I do appreciate all the effort you guys put in to helping me find a solution. :) I'll report back here with results as often as I remember to!

Wow! This thread has really taken off :). There are lots of good topics here. I'd like to address the exfoliating thing, which is a really good point that I forgot about (oops :o). Exfoliating does make a huge difference as for making your skin soft when using an epilator. I usually use a body scrub from Bath and Body works in the shower and use the epilator after getting out of the water. I also exfoliate even on days I don't use the epilator to keep things clean.

To address sycamoreboutiqu, about the tweezers, I do this on occasion between epilating if I notice any hairs sticking out, but it takes an eternity, LOL :o

I do have VERY pale legs (and black hair) so I can relate to the 'black dots' underneath my skin especially when I used to shave, so to give an idea, the epilator with body scrub still made the best results.

One last thing I think I forgot to mention, for those who are concerned about pain, I've heard it can help to take a pain reliever pill around 30 minutes or so before epilating, of course YMMV. Personally I thought it tickled (LOL :D), but again I have a fairly nice model epilator and I'm sure that helps. It's already paid for itself in the long run. Hope that helps everyone :)

-simply Venus-
May 17th, 2011, 09:37 PM
That happens to me, especially on my thighs. The best way to get rid of it is to wax, since it gets rid of the hair under your skin. (Or you can use an epilator)

Unbridled4
May 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
One other thing, since so many people have talked about ingrown hairs. I use a product called Tend Skin, though I am sure there are many others.... not sure how it works since it seems to be mostly alcohol, but even without proper exfoliation it allows the fine pointy-point of the new hair to come up out of your skin rather than become ingrown. It's not very expensive, but it actually does work. YMMV. :)

teela1978
May 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
One other thing, since so many people have talked about ingrown hairs. I use a product called Tend Skin, though I am sure there are many others.... not sure how it works since it seems to be mostly alcohol, but even without proper exfoliation it allows the fine pointy-point of the new hair to come up out of your skin rather than become ingrown. It's not very expensive, but it actually does work. YMMV. :)
Someone around used to have a recipe for tend skin (or a reasonable facsimile). Mostly alcohol, some asprin added in (anti-inflammatory, somewhat exfoliating) if I recall correctly. Should be google-able.

Animae
May 31st, 2011, 04:27 PM
So, what do you do when you do get an in grown? I think I might have s few on my legs despite exfolating.

Sunshineliz
May 31st, 2011, 04:59 PM
Someone said they used epilator on the underarms? (Sorry, can't find where now.) And all of you are saying exfoliation is very important for avoiding ingrowns. So do you get ingrowns in the underarms too? How do you exfoliate that?

(Sorry if that is a hijack, just curious)

Animae
May 31st, 2011, 05:02 PM
I don't epilate my armpits but I do exfoltate them. I just take a blob of my scrub and rub it around in my armpit. I use the Lilypad sugarwhip scrub, that foams a little, so it cleans my pits too.

jaine
May 31st, 2011, 07:12 PM
I paid about $2400 for 6 laser hair removal treatments on my full legs a few years ago. It sounds like a lot but it was well worth it to me ...to never have to worry about stubble or ingrown hairs on my legs, ever again.

Dark Queen
May 31st, 2011, 07:43 PM
So, what do you do when you do get an in grown? I think I might have s few on my legs despite exfolating.

Someone said they used epilator on the underarms? (Sorry, can't find where now.) And all of you are saying exfoliation is very important for avoiding ingrowns. So do you get ingrowns in the underarms too? How do you exfoliate that?

(Sorry if that is a hijack, just curious)

That may have been me. I use it on my underarms and have not had any troubles at all with ingrowns there. If I were to, though, I'd just use a scrub to exfoliate and/or get it with my tweezers. It might sound painful, but it's not. Also, I find a warm wet washcloth is good for softening the skin if you have to tweeze.

Venefica
May 31st, 2011, 07:44 PM
I have hair everywhere, on my legs on my arms, on my thighs on my rear quarters everywhere. I try to shave it but I have to use allot of time on that if I am to keep it in check. I to have been told it is due to hormones. However most of the time I just leave it be. I shave if i am going to wear a dress and bare legs but for for most of the time I just accept that I was created this way. I have considered getting and epilator however and see how that works, or try one of those laser machines.

Roscata
June 5th, 2011, 11:03 AM
ITA with epilating or waxing. The hair on my legs and armpits is baby fine now and much more sparse since I started waxing.

I agree with this. :)