PDA

View Full Version : Rats in my hair? yes, I mean REAL rats

Blackfire
May 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
so my two girls, Pandora and Ophealia, who just happen to be a pair of domestic rats often like to chillax on my shoulder....and while they are there they show affection the way rats do: by grooming me! lol, they basically just scritch around my hair and try to straighten out my locks with their little paws.... I think its kinda cute but some people probably find it really gross, lol.

Just thought that their grooming was a funny hair story.... even though some people think its nasty! what do you guys think? cute or gross??

kwaniesiam
May 16th, 2011, 06:45 PM
When I first buzzed my hair one of my cats liked to rub his face against my head and would try to groom me. I think it's cute :D

sherigayle
May 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I think it's cute. One of my friend's in high school had a pet rat that loved to play in our hair. She wasn't gross or nasty. She was very clean and cute.

owlathena
May 16th, 2011, 06:50 PM
My rats (rufus and mod) sit on my shoulders or in my scarf/hood all the time and sometimes get really tangled in my hair. I have to work them out while they squirm around. Sometimes I hear noises and wonder if they're chewing on my hair :/

tigr
May 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Aww. Ratties are so sweet :crush:

Let me clarify: invited rats. Uninvited rats are not welcome in my home.

I do have to admit that when I saw this thread title, I thought you were talking about uninvited rats.

Have fun with your little girls!

leslissocool
May 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I don't like rats, but I don't think it's gross. I actually think they are so cute trying to groom you, it shows how much they love you :).

TheMechaGinger
May 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I used to have a bird that liked to sit on my shoulder and he did the same thing to my hair. He'd even climb on top of my head and just preen it haha it was adorable.

silverjen
May 16th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Aww, they sound adorable! I would love a chance to hold and play with a pet rat.

Deelight
May 16th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Another vote for cute!!! :)

wavykisses
May 16th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Awwww it think is the cutest thing you should totally take a picture

ellen732
May 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I think that is really cute too. My little boy cat licks my hair and hands, except his tongue feels like sandpaper.

wavykisses
May 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM
My rats (rufus and mod) sit on my shoulders or in my scarf/hood all the time and sometimes get really tangled in my hair. I have to work them out while they squirm around. Sometimes I hear noises and wonder if they're chewing on my hair :/

This is sooo cute too, how lovely pets you have:cheese:

islandboo
May 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I think it's really cute. Rats are often very misunderstood but they are curious, smart, sweet, social creatures.

Ermine
May 16th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Too cute! Just so long as they don't tangle your hair too much. Pics please? I kind of wish I could get a rat, but I live in an apartment that doesn't allow pets...

Mesmerise
May 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I think it's cute! My cats sometimes like to wash my hair for me... even when I insist that it's not dirty and really doesn't need it!

And yeah, I vote for pictures too :D.

owlathena
May 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Too cute! Just so long as they don't tangle your hair too much. Pics please? I kind of wish I could get a rat, but I live in an apartment that doesn't allow pets...

Shhh...me too ;)

HintOfMint
May 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Oh that's precious!!

zirena
May 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I think it's cute!
I love (pet) rats, always wanted one but my mother is terrified of their tails... besides, I don't think my cats would be too happy

FarmGirl
May 16th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Just make sure they don't start snipping bits off! O.o
Lol.

Dragon
May 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I think it's cute.

Wanderer09
May 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Rats are so intelligent and sweet. :) I totally agree you should post pictures if you can, this sounds adorable.

jaine
May 16th, 2011, 10:02 PM
OK I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit skeeved out!

Annie Fulton
May 16th, 2011, 10:23 PM
My cat does that to me. I think it's cute with your rats, but it's kind of annoying for me just because she tends to chew.

rena
May 16th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I've just died from the immense cuteness of that image...

Wouldn't it be cool if you could train them to S&D? :D

shawty
May 16th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Defo cute!

sweetestpoison
May 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM
i let snakes in mine ;)

MissManda
May 16th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I think that is so adorable! :crush: My SIL used to have the sweetest little rat who loved to perch on one's shoulder. I miss her (the rat) so much!

I actually used to own a cat who would groom my hair. She would sit on my shoulder and try to lick my hair down while simultaneously kneading my scalp. It was very sweet kitty-intent, but oh boy was it annoying when I woke up in the wee hours of the morning with a cat kneading your head with very pointy claws. lol :bigeyes:

CrystalStar
May 17th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Awww, you're rats sound like they love you! :D Pet rats have a bad reputation but they're sweethearts really!

My old bearded dragon used to try burrow into my hair and nibble at it.. I wasn't having any of that! :laugh:

darklion
May 17th, 2011, 01:04 AM
sounds cute to me!

Yosha
May 17th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Lol, I was hoping for pictures:cool:
Just be careful they don't chew on your hair!

Mesmerise
May 17th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I think it's cute!
I love (pet) rats, always wanted one but my mother is terrified of their tails... besides, I don't think my cats would be too happy

Ohhh I think my cats would be VERY happy if I got rats!! The rats...not so happy ;)

MonaMayfair
May 17th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Cute! I love rats; I used to have a lovely rat named Sappho.

kettle
May 17th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Cute! My girls used to do exactly the same. It actually feels quite nice :p
This almost makes me regret choosing guinea pigs over rats! My pigs don't get involved in any hair grooming... they do sit and lick my hands while I watch telly, though :inlove:

And yes: pictures please :D

Chetanlaiho
May 17th, 2011, 06:17 AM
That sounds really cute! But I agree it's only cute if they're pet rats, I prefer not to have uninvited rats in my house xD

Would love to see pictures as well ^^

Lilli
May 17th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Pictures! Rats are nice pets. We had a dog who would mother people's babies - she would curl her body around the baby to keep it warm, and would have loved to lick it, but the parents generally get upset. ;)

candlesandfish
May 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I miss my ratties, I had up to 6 at a time. I loved them, they were great company for me when I was sick but in the search for what was wrong with me I had to give them up :( They weren't the cause, but there was no convincing my doctor...

They used to snuggle in my hair and go to sleep :)

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I am soooo scared of rats like wild ones but I suppose its rather cute with pet ones, as long as there not in my hair!

Panth
May 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Definitely cute.

I can wait until October. DBF and I are moving to a new flat and then WE ARE GETTING RATTIES. No question about it. :p

I also call for pictures!

Intransigentia
May 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Pictures please! Nobody has rats as pets where I live, and I'm so envious.

candlesandfish
May 17th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I have pics from when I had rats, will that do?

Here's me at about 16 with Maikyn who was mostly golden brown with a white nose and feet:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/kyrieflutter/kyriemai.jpg

Jezebel (the sweetest natured rat, despite the name!) in the Christmas tree:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/kyrieflutter/rats/jezabel.jpg

Auryn contemplating nomming a shoe
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/kyrieflutter/rats/auryn.jpg

And my five all together - top level L->R are Sophia, Champers and Jezebel, bottom level are Maikyn and Auryn (both quite old at this point).
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/kyrieflutter/rats/P1010016.jpg

Intransigentia
May 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM
What a bunch of cuties!

invisiblebabe
May 17th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Very cute :) I like pet rats! Don't have any myself, but in high school I used to do gymnastics with a girl who had a pet rat that I got to hold sometimes :)

MaiCarInMtl
May 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I think that's really cute! I was once considering getting a pet rat but after the boyfriend (now husband) freaked a bit, I got a cat - he had bad experiences with large, uninvited rats in his home country.

I had a friend who worked with rats and he told me they made great pets and were very social. Maybe someday.

Safira
May 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM
My dog loves my hair. She puts her nose deep in my hair. I think itīs so cute.

Yozhik
May 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Aww! It sounds adorable. :crush:

I really want some pet rats -- hopefully within the next two years when I'm in a more stable living situation I can get some. :)

christine1989
May 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I think it's adorable...provided that they don't decide to "go" while they are in your hair ;).

gogirlanime
May 17th, 2011, 01:02 PM
That's sooooooooo cute, I don't find it gross (unless they accidentally poop of you of course) I had a parakeet that used to love to stick it's face in my hair and play with it. My friend's wiener dogs love to roll in my hair when I lye the length down on his carpet haha.

tigereye
May 17th, 2011, 01:50 PM
You should turn it into a poll. I vote cute!

kettle
May 17th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Oh they're gorgeous! Bless them! I want!
I'm loving the names too - especially Maikyn and Auryn. Very unusual.

Mrspuddinhead
May 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Personally I think its cute. A close family friend has a small bird who likes to sit on my shoulder and play with my almost BSL hair. Surprisingly the bird is quite gentle.

irishlady
May 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I love rats! Would love to have 2 someday.

That is so adorable and not gross at all :)

Qamar
May 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Super cute! I adore ratties and miss having them around.

spidermom
May 17th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Rats are snake food around here. Our ball python likes to go under my hair and come out through it. Cute or gross?

lora410
May 17th, 2011, 05:48 PM
so my two girls, Pandora and Ophealia, who just happen to be a pair of domestic rats often like to chillax on my shoulder....and while they are there they show affection the way rats do: by grooming me! lol, they basically just scritch around my hair and try to straighten out my locks with their little paws.... I think its kinda cute but some people probably find it really gross, lol.

Just thought that their grooming was a funny hair story.... even though some people think its nasty! what do you guys think? cute or gross??

I love rats. I used to own some and even hand raised some :D people don't understand they are not like the nasty rats that can invade a home..lol

Latte Lady
May 17th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I understand the stigma on rats. My Grandmother grew up on a farm in a very old fashioned way. Outhouse, no plumbing or electricity. She is terrified of rats because when she was growing up they sometimes got in and would get into the babies cribs and bite their fingers and toes. That isn't a old wives tale! It has happened in her family. If that was all I knew of rats I might think them gross or scary.
My neighbor had two pet rats and from him I learned that they very different than wild ones. He bathed his rats and even went as far as to dye one of them powder blue. They were friendly and smart and house broken and most certainly weren't gross! I'm still wary of them till I get to know how friendly they are. Not all pets rats are used to handling and rodents in general have scary teeth! It's funny how pointy dog or cat teeth, which could actually do me harm, don't even phase me but show me a tiny hampster and all I see are those HUGE teeth! I have to laugh at myself.
I now think they make better first pets for children than hampsters because they are stronger and want your company. I was told that if you couldn't spend most of your time with a pet rat that you should get two, for they hate being alone.

candlesandfish
May 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Oh they're gorgeous! Bless them! I want!
I'm loving the names too - especially Maikyn and Auryn. Very unusual.

Thanks :) My friend who gave me them (my first pair) named Maikyn, apparently it means something in Elvish (although you need to change the spelling, I think) and Auryn is the symbol from the Neverending Story.

Jezebel and Sofia are normal enough names, Champers is short for Champagne since she was a pale golden colour, I didn't name her, I got her fully grown and very well trained when a biology teacher couldn't take her home for the summer.

I like unusual names for pets. My cat is Koukla - it's Greek for doll but also cutie/cute/sweetie etc

Quixotica
May 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Awww, sounds like my two babies that I used to have....Yersinia and Pestis ( The Black Plaque.... the nerd in me couldn't help it ).....they loved to nuzzle and groom my hair. Rats are so super cool!

MandyBeth
May 17th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Ours are die hard hair perchers for DH. For me, we have male rats, I have "pillows", they don't sit on my shoulders much.

Yosha
May 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I have pics from when I had rats, will that do?

Here's me at about 16 with Maikyn who was mostly golden brown with a white nose and feet:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/kyrieflutter/kyriemai.jpg

Jezebel (the sweetest natured rat, despite the name!) in the Christmas tree:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/kyrieflutter/rats/jezabel.jpg

Auryn contemplating nomming a shoe
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/kyrieflutter/rats/auryn.jpg

And my five all together - top level L->R are Sophia, Champers and Jezebel, bottom level are Maikyn and Auryn (both quite old at this point).
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/kyrieflutter/rats/P1010016.jpg
Aww, they're cute! And you look very loving in that picture, you can really tell how much you love your ratties:puppykisses:

Panth
May 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Awww, sounds like my two babies that I used to have....Yersinia and Pestis ( The Black Plaque.... the nerd in me couldn't help it ).....they loved to nuzzle and groom my hair. Rats are so super cool!

<thread hijack>

:D Those names are absolutely genius!

I want to name our ratties-to-be Coppernicus and Galileo but DBF has apparently vetoed those names. :(

</thread hijack>

Melanie Marie
May 18th, 2011, 12:24 PM
That's really cute!!! :D And I'm not even an animal person!

Sabriel
May 18th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I vote cute!!! :)

Peanutter
May 18th, 2011, 04:12 PM
My friend's cat, Jo steals her hairties and plays with them. One day we were sitting on the floor in front of the couch and Jo jumped up to sit behind friend in Jo's "spot" on the couch. A few minutes later I saw Jo batting at the hairtie holding friend's hair in a ponytail. lol. Friend's head was at eye level for Jo. Friend was startled, but when she settled back down, Jo sniffed then bit at the hair tie trying to pull it out of friends hair. :) Friend is asian and has gorgeous soft silky hair so hairties slide easily, and with a little help from us, Jo got her prize then ran off in a corner to poke at it :)

Intransigentia
May 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM
It's funny how pointy dog or cat teeth, which could actually do me harm, don't even phase me but show me a tiny hampster and all I see are those HUGE teeth! I have to laugh at myself.

The only animal that has ever bitten me and drawn blood was a hamster.

nena_shawty
May 19th, 2011, 09:14 AM
thatss so cutee!!

SpeakingEZ
May 19th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Aw, that's adorable. I know someone with a very social rat that I love to put on my shoulder. Her tickles so much with his little whiskers! Sometimes I wonder if he's chewing at my hair. . . .

My rabbit chewed my hair once. I've told that story once of twice around here. Thankfully, it was a fake braid, but he snipped it to pieces in a matter of seconds while I was looking the other way! Really scared me. Lol, he doesn't come near my hair anymore.

wvgemini
May 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Rats are snake food around here. Our ball python likes to go under my hair and come out through it. Cute or gross?

CUTE! Oh how I miss my boa baby swirling around my hair :(