PDA

View Full Version : I can't take my hair anymore...

bella77
May 16th, 2011, 01:00 PM
It just looks horrible no matter what I do to it. It always looks frizzy, like the hair shafts will not lay flat anymore. I heat styled for the last 2 years quite often and colored, I fear I have damaged beyond help and my hair will not grow anymore due to looking horrible. I have trimmed off some, but I think I may make quite a big chop, probably 4 inches or so. Then I might try to do a demi or semi color to even it out close to my natural ash blonde, then maybe let it grow from there. This stinks as I just bought myself a medium ficcarissimo, oh well, I could always sell it:D. I know my hair looks ok in pics, but in person it looks horrid- IMO.

DreamDance
May 16th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Don't give up on your hair. And make sure you consider any big cuts for at least two weeks before chopping!

As for the frizz, have you tried ACV rinses? They helped me considerably.

bella77
May 16th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Don't give up on your hair. And make sure you consider any big cuts for at least two weeks before chopping!

As for the frizz, have you tried ACV rinses? They helped me considerably.
oh yeah, been there done that! I have literally tried it all!!

PolarCathy
May 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Look..

Showing Picture Comments 1 to 4 of 4 April 8th, 2011 04:55 PM
Rocket22
What beautiful shiny hair you have!

SwordWomanRiona May 14th, 2011 06:17 PM
Thank you Your golden hair's gorgeous!

We are always our own worst critics... Maybe you don't need to chop 4" just 1"...

There is always another day when you'll see things brighter. I hope.

I like your color. And your waves. Even if only in a photo.

:blossom:

squiggyflop
May 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
if you saw how bad my hair looked when it was shorter you would laugh.. i would weight down my hair in pictures with lots of gunk (hair product) to hide that it turned into farrah hair (thats my natural wave/curl pattern, perfectly set farrah hair without trying).. it was huge.. poof poof..

the only thing that stopped the frizz was letting it grow, the length weighted down the hair.. dont let my awful siggy fool you, thats brushed out braid waves..
here is what happened to my frizzy farrah hair when i grew it out http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/mayfifth2011length4crop.jpg

so maybe, its just that your hair needs to grow out the frizz like mine..

if not, wait 2-3 weeks then chop it into whatever haircut you desire.. but dont expect a new cut to get rid of the frizz..

BLove
May 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I agree in trying an inch first. You can always go back and take more.

islandboo
May 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I chopped off 4" a few months ago and then came here afterwards to try to prevent damage like I had just cut off (if I had come here before I might not have done anything so drastic :rolleyes:). If you think it is really necessary, it does grow back, but have you tried getting really aggressive with your treatments? Deep oiling and S&D raids on the splits and SMTs and such? It might be worth trying those sorts of things before giving up altogether.

As for the Ficcare, they don't go bad sitting in a drawer somewhere so rather than getting rid of it, I'd just hold on to it as an incentive to keep moving toward your length goal.

KatiSasha
May 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Why don't you try Jemoiselle's twist'n'trim (that's how I call it to myself) here's a video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cipgwKqX7UM

I just finished doing it myself and as I was trimming I was thinking how I could already see it helping with frizz issues. Plus, no length loss!! If you do a trim on the bottom, it still means that the frizz you have along the length will stay :( This way - you can combat it. Hope this helps!

Rocket22
May 16th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Well from your pictures your hair is beautiful!!! and I really mean that. Maybe just trim a tiny bit but you might just be having a bad hair month or something... (I have them all the time) just when I think my hair will never look good again it does???? so hang in there and no chopping!!!!!!

PinkyCat
May 16th, 2011, 02:35 PM
You probably have but - have you done a protein treatment? This usually makes my fluffy, ultra-fine Muppet hair a bit "heavier" if you will.

ravenreed
May 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
My hair was crazy when it was shorter too. Also using SLS shampoos brought out the frizz more. It is much better behaved longer.

if you saw how bad my hair looked when it was shorter you would laugh.. i would weight down my hair in pictures with lots of gunk (hair product) to hide that it turned into farrah hair (thats my natural wave/curl pattern, perfectly set farrah hair without trying).. it was huge.. poof poof..

the only thing that stopped the frizz was letting it grow, the length weighted down the hair.. dont let my awful siggy fool you, thats brushed out braid waves..
here is what happened to my frizzy farrah hair when i grew it out http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/mayfifth2011length4crop.jpg

so maybe, its just that your hair needs to grow out the frizz like mine..

if not, wait 2-3 weeks then chop it into whatever haircut you desire.. but dont expect a new cut to get rid of the frizz..

bella77
May 16th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I do use SLS free shampoo- mostly CV poo bars! OK, I give!!!!, hair guru's, maybe I should just try to stick it out a bit longer. I am a hair hater right now, sometimes I love it, I need to remember those times!!!
'

xoxophelia
May 16th, 2011, 02:49 PM
If your hair is as damaged as you suspect it will be a long term thing to grow it out and change how damaged your hair is. Basically, the major factors will be changing your habits and time.

I'm doing the same thing so I understand how frustrating it is but at this point it is probably best to keep your hair long enough to do updos. Instead of cutting out of frustration, start wearing it up every day out of frustration and try switching to CO in the meantime (no shampoo significantly helps reduce frizz but it might weigh down your hair). If you wear your hair up it doesn't matter so much if you have a bad hair day because up it goes.

If you want to go more or less virgin you will probably want to cut your hair along the way but I would suggest gradual trims so that you can still do buns.

It takes a long time to get there but that is what LHC is for. I was at the same place as you when I joined but now my hair is slowly recovering and it is very worth it to have hassle free hair :)

bella77
May 16th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I only shampoo once ot 2x a week, the rest of the time I co only. I only scalp was when I do use poo anyway. I think my hair is just frizzy- my daughter has not colore, curled, dried, anything- her hair is only shoulder length and virgin and it's frizzy too! Darn genetics!!!

I agree that maybe just some micro trims and updo's instead of a big chop!!

jujube
May 16th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Sometimes you think you need a big chop, when all you need is 1/2 inch taken off. Don't give up :D

teela1978
May 16th, 2011, 02:55 PM
About the frizz... could it be curlier than you think? My hair when dyed gets to 2c almost 3a. Awful if combed/brushed out. Gorgeous with some gel scrunched in while still wet.

SpinDance
May 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Lots of halo hairs curling all over the top often mean that you are really curlier than you think. I've got lots of weird combinations of wavy, some hairs being actually curly and some various combinations, they even change as they get longer, going from straight to wavey or wavey to curly to straight. Like others have done, I recommend trying some of the curly girl techniques to see what they do. If nothing else a completely untouched air drying to help decide type may give you more ideas.

Your picture definitely looks like you have lots of wave and motion, and now that it's getting longer the weight will affect it. Sometimes waves don't really show up until one hits mid-back length, but you look like you're getting lots of nice, big waves already.

I'll second (third, whatever) the recommendation to only trim off a bit, if you really think it needs it, or you want to freshen your ends, and wear it up for a while. It may just need to grow through the next part of the wave pattern to make it lay nicely again. If nothing else, wearing it up is a great way to let it grow without introducing any more damage. I find it easier to be patient with the growing process when I get to practice some new updo's now and again.

spidermom
May 16th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'm glad you decided against the big chop. That would severely limit your style options and the frizz would likely remain. My hair is a great big fat puff-ball at lengths shorter than about APL. Length has definitely helped.

I also think you may be working against natural wave, maybe even curl. Have you tried combing/brushing before washing it, then taking care not to mess it around much while washing, then letting it air dry? You might be surprised.

bella77
May 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I do have so many little hairs all over the top, I thought maybe some new growth??? I have noticed that the sides- just past where bangs would be- near my ears- there is definately some sort of curly pattern going on there, it does not want to be straight, but nor curly either- grrrrr!!!

Mesmerise
May 16th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I feel your pain! I have frizzy hair too...and it's awful :( I am sure the newer hair growing in is less frizzy (the bit that hasn't been chemically coloured or straightened with heat), although it's sort of hard to tell as that part is probably 2" long at max.

Still, I have decided not to cut my hair. I will regret it if I do, and at least I can always wear it up, which really does get rid of most of those horrible frizzies.

I'm also big in experimenting and looking for ways to tame the frizz without having to add commercial products filled with cones and alcohol and stuff, and yet without making it too oily or slick looking (which happens sometimes, even when I add a minimal amount of oil).

So yeah, get a small trim and keep persisting. Do CO as much as possible (that's what I'm doing, with just a clarifying shampoo once a month before I henna), and experiment with different things to find out what works for you. Cutting isn't the answer, as others have said, cause then you'll just end up with shorter frizzy hair!

bella77
May 16th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Why don't you try Jemoiselle's twist'n'trim (that's how I call it to myself) here's a video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cipgwKqX7UM

I just finished doing it myself and as I was trimming I was thinking how I could already see it helping with frizz issues. Plus, no length loss!! If you do a trim on the bottom, it still means that the frizz you have along the length will stay :( This way - you can combat it. Hope this helps!
I can definately do that!!! Will be trying it once my hair is dry!!:cheese:

spidermom
May 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'm a big fan of product. If I want a neat-looking up-do, I'll break out the styling wax to tame the last few frizzies into place. Generally a curl creme, aloe vera gel, or styling gel finger-combed through my hair and smoothed over the top tames it enough for every day wear. I've polled everybody around here, and they all prefer my hair naturally dried, kind of ropey looking, some strands spiral curly, others nearly straight. I think it kind of looks like a mop when it dries like that, but I've asked enough people (including on LHC) to now be convinced that it's pretty that way.

spidermom
May 16th, 2011, 03:59 PM
P.S., Just checked out the video link, and I'm not fond of the twist/cut method (tried it before), but I will make small braids around my head (maybe 8 ), and when they start getting fuzzy looking, I'll get under a strong light with a dark background and trim the obvious damage. I don't trim shorter hairs that stick out but look perfectly healthy.

bella77
May 16th, 2011, 04:28 PM
thanks SM_ I can try that too!!

Firefly
May 16th, 2011, 04:33 PM
:grouphug: I have SO been there! Trust me when I say it does get better. We have very similar hair types and I really hated my hair at that stage. Once I got to BSL I liked the way it hung much better; as others have said, the longer it gets (I'm at waist now), the more I like the way it looks. I wore my hair up a lot at the stage you're in now-- it really helped. One thing I wish I'd discovered earlier is CO. It keeps my frizz to a bare minimum, even in high humidity. I think I might have liked my hair a long time ago if I discovered that earlier!

Firefox7275
May 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM
About the frizz... could it be curlier than you think? My hair when dyed gets to 2c almost 3a. Awful if combed/brushed out. Gorgeous with some gel scrunched in while still wet.
This!

I do have so many little hairs all over the top, I thought maybe some new growth??? I have noticed that the sides- just past where bangs would be- near my ears- there is definately some sort of curly pattern going on there, it does not want to be straight, but nor curly either- grrrrr!!!
Many people's waves and wurls refuse to be curly proper whilst the owner treats their hair as if it were straight. Reading this thread (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html) was my lightbulb moment. :cool:

growingpains
May 16th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I only shampoo once ot 2x a week, the rest of the time I co only. I only scalp was when I do use poo anyway. I think my hair is just frizzy- my daughter has not colore, curled, dried, anything- her hair is only shoulder length and virgin and it's frizzy too! Darn genetics!!!

I agree that maybe just some micro trims and updo's instead of a big chop!!

Shampooing 1-2x per week is still alot. I only get my hair wet every 3-4 days and 2/3 or 3/4 of those times it's CO. Helps with the frizz. Also for me, the two biggest frizz reducers were: 1) going cone free; and 2) most importantly, not touching it AT ALL after showering until bone dry, no matter how frizzy and nasty it looks while half wet, once dry I am so grateful I could avoid touching.

Glad you agree to wear up and not chop. I think that's best.

luthein
May 16th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Also, could your wave pattern be getting more defined as your hair grows longer, which is causing unexplained waviness and a bit of frizz? It depends on the head. Sometimes hair gets weighed down as it gets longer, other times, new waves and curls spring up. It might not apply to your head. Have you had this length of hair before?

spidermom
May 16th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Also, could your wave pattern be getting more defined as your hair grows longer, which is causing unexplained waviness and a bit of frizz? It depends on the head. Sometimes hair gets weighed down as it gets longer, other times, new waves and curls spring up. It might not apply to your head. Have you had this length of hair before?

This is so true. My hair looks bushy until about APL, then it begins forming spiral curls here and there. They're the loose kind, so I needed length before they could form.

summerjade
May 16th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Some hair is just the kind of hair that is on the frizzy side. If you cut four inches off, the hair you have may still be frizzy, but just shorter hair. I have done that before and regretted it terribly!! You are probably just going through a hair slump right now. Hair grows from the roots, so your hair will still grow, even if it is frizzy. You don't have to cut it for it to grow. I agree with getting an inch trim. That may be enough for you to feel better about it, and you might be thankful you only cut an inch.

Mesmerise
May 16th, 2011, 08:50 PM
:grouphug: I have SO been there! Trust me when I say it does get better. We have very similar hair types and I really hated my hair at that stage. Once I got to BSL I liked the way it hung much better; as others have said, the longer it gets (I'm at waist now), the more I like the way it looks. I wore my hair up a lot at the stage you're in now-- it really helped. One thing I wish I'd discovered earlier is CO. It keeps my frizz to a bare minimum, even in high humidity. I think I might have liked my hair a long time ago if I discovered that earlier!

Your hair seems quite a similar type to mine too. At the moment I think I've got a bit too much taper (due to hair loss) so it hasn't got much "weight" at the ends... but I am hoping that in time and with added length, my hair will hang better and look nicer.

bella77
May 16th, 2011, 09:17 PM
So I am reading all about the cg method, and I am so willing to try it after seeing all of those gorgeous heads of curly hair. My hair is more of a wave, but if I can get shine like that, I willtry anything once.

sanfen
May 16th, 2011, 09:37 PM
My hair was getting really funky over the last couple of months. I tried a few things including coconut oiling. Still very dry and brittle feeling at the ends.

I do color my hair - do the roots once a month.

I recently read the Extra Virgin Olive Oil thread and tried it the other day. I made a mix of coconut oil/megatek/castor oil for the scalp and oiled the rest of the hair with olive oil. Made a bun and left it all day while exercising and puttering.

Before I washed my hair, I applied conditioner to the length. Got in the shower and soaked my scalp while holding length out of the water. I diluted Trader Joe's Nourish shampoo with water in a coloring bottle and just applied the shampoo to the scalp, massaged the scalp and then let it run thru the hair.

Let it air dry and . . . I can't stop touching my hair! It is soft all the way to the ends and the waves look great and hardly any frizzies even with the drizzle we've been getting the last couple of days.

I am an olive oil convert! :cheese: Try it - you have nothing to lose . . . :)

Firefly
May 17th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Your hair seems quite a similar type to mine too. At the moment I think I've got a bit too much taper (due to hair loss) so it hasn't got much "weight" at the ends... but I am hoping that in time and with added length, my hair will hang better and look nicer.

I'm sure it will, Mesmerise! I've seen many growth progress pictures on this site where hair that was very similar to mine shorter looks fantastic at longer lengths. So I am hopeful!

Peanutter
May 17th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I really should have come to LHC 2 months ago, I did the same "I need a chop, my ends are icky!" Three and a half inches gone, and there is no way I needed it. But the Pollyanna in me says at least I now know how to take care of it better, so I'll have healthier length. :)

UltraBella
May 17th, 2011, 08:41 AM
So I am reading all about the cg method, and I am so willing to try it after seeing all of those gorgeous heads of curly hair. My hair is more of a wave, but if I can get shine like that, I willtry anything once.

Good luck trying it, I hope it makes you feel better about your hair. I am considering trying it as well.
In pictures your hair looks beautiful...... but do I understand your frustration. Hang in there !

bella77
May 17th, 2011, 01:26 PM
thanks everyone for the support- whew!! I really needed it. So I downloaded the CG book to my Nook and read it while the baby was sleeping- well skimmed really, skipped the parts that did not pertain my my hair type. I then ventured to the store for CG gel and a good conditioner. I bought herbal essences gel and mousse for curly hair- or curl enhancing I should say, and Loreal sulphate, silicone free intense moisture conditioner since my hair tends to be dry, I also bought suave green apple condish since it smells yummy and a microfiber kitchen towel, what's the difference between one marketed for hair and one marketed for house, probably minimal, so I erred on the side of cheaper! Anyway- I washed my scalp with the green apple, rinsed, applied the more intense conditioner and combed with my mason pearson, left this on while I washed the rest of me, then I rinsed, rinsed some more with head upside down with cold water. I wtrapped myself in a towel and scrunched some of the water from my hair, added a little apple conditioner to my hair, scrunching it in, adding the gel to my hair, scrunch again- keep in mind my hair is still pretty wet at this point which is driving my crazy- I am so used to wrapping my head up turban style in a big ol terry cloth towel. I then took my 4 dollar microfiber towel and started scrunching my hair to remove moisture. I kept doing this until it was dry enough for me to dress- just threw on a big comfy tee and shorts since I am not leaving the house for the rest of the day. I kinda rearranged my hair a little so it would not dry all weird, but did not manipulate the wave. My understanding is that the hair is NOT to be touched during the drying process, I am to let the gel get hard and then scrunch again to break the cast for softer hair. I hope I can post pics once it's dry- keep your fingers crossed!!

Fethenwen
May 17th, 2011, 02:43 PM
^ Good luck!

I will also chime in to say that your hair looks awesome in your pics, I don't think it's possible to have hair looking that gorgeous in pictures if it were a disaster in real life ;)

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I posted some pictures in an album if anyone is interested in seeing my experiments, I do not know if this method is for me. I get the whole concept for curly hair, but I like being able to run a comb or brush through my hair. I did not notice too much difference with the frizz factor, I think it may just be how my hair is and maybe some new hairs too. I don't mind the use of products in my hair, but hate the feel of the tangles this is giving me. I would probably like it if I were a true curly girl, but with my wavyiness I like to be able to smooth it out.

SpinDance
May 18th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Your pictures show a lot of wave and are very pretty. I understand what you mean, though, about liking to be able to comb. I'm in your same wave range and it's quite a challenge learning how to deal with it!

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Your pictures show a lot of wave and are very pretty. I understand what you mean, though, about liking to be able to comb. I'm in your same wave range and it's quite a challenge learning how to deal with it! in order to get the waves in my album, I really have to scrunch it and encourage that. Naturally I think I only have a slight wave, but I really like to comb it out, with that much product in, I could not even get my fingers through it.

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I posted some pictures in an album if anyone is interested in seeing my experiments, I do not know if this method is for me. I get the whole concept for curly hair, but I like being able to run a comb or brush through my hair. I did not notice too much difference with the frizz factor, I think it may just be how my hair is and maybe some new hairs too. I don't mind the use of products in my hair, but hate the feel of the tangles this is giving me. I would probably like it if I were a true curly girl, but with my wavyiness I like to be able to smooth it out.

Yeah, I am the same as this. I feel with gel and product and stuff, the hair gets stiff, even if you kinda scrunch it to soften the gel, when you try and run your fingers through it, they get stuck and tangled and stuff...and that's sort of annoying.

I can't get rid of my frizz either, whether I try and encourage the curl or not! I guess there's still some experimenting that needs to be done.

Firefox7275
May 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Give CurlyGirl a shot, it takes time to get used to manipulating your hair and there are modifications you can make (see link below). The back of your hair is wavier than mine was when I started and I have full ringlets in some places now! :p

I was taking out too much water to begin with and still got fluff/ poof at the back. My hair is shorter than yours but I don't towel at all, just squeezing water out by hand - several times so it does not drip - then leave-in conditioner, then modified plop or plunk (backwards not upside down) then air dry. I just started the ice-queen method (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html)of applying conditioner which is helping distribute it; I don't use gel because I want softness over hold. If you saw the 'rainbow hair' thread that girl uses conditioner to define her curls too; some CGs use curl cream for the same reason.

Frizz is just curls that are not clumped, did you get good clumps when you applied leave-in conditioner? Conversely using a brush or comb between washes/ wets will separate the curl and you will get frizz. :( My hair looks dry and frizzy now cos I combed before washing but it's actually soft. After combing you can try to damp with a water spray or a dunk in the sink, or just use an up-do. :)

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I am actually trying my own modified version right now, which is instead of scrunching- taking the gel and twisting small sections like a rope and leaving it to dry, then I will comb it out either with fingers are a seamless comb. Unfortunately I broke my camera today! So instead of really having to scruch in the waves, the twisting actually follows my own wave pattern. I also think most of my frizz in because I like to part my hair on the right, but I think my natural part is somehwere in the middle or to the left. When I part on the right the hair kinda sticks up and give it some volume because it is going against the natural way, if that makes sense and the new growth is actually sticking up. When I part on the left, it definately lays flatter and is less frizzy at the top. I am going to continue coloring but only with semi permanent. I really do not like the ash blonde that is my natural color. Oh well, always experimenting!!!

NouvelleNymphe2
May 18th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I have been feeling similar lately, although I don't heat style my hair is naturally dry. Anyway, I have started wrapping my hair with rag curls with a bit of coconut oil on each section, and wow my hair has started to look it's former shinier self again :). I also would suggest, if you don't already, buying SLS free shampoos and stretching your washes. That has really made a difference on my fine hair. Oh and one more thought: cassia treatment?? Just some ideas, I'm no expert :) HTH.

GRU
May 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I'm sorry, but I always have to chuckle at the folks with 1/2 type hair who complain about frizz.... you ain't seen NOTHING! :lol:

Here is curly hair brushed (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout.jpg?t=1305765353), and here is curly hair when short and layered (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/brillohead.jpg?t=1305765397). Neither is a very pretty sight!

I'm going to echo what the others have said... keep trucking along. Keep oiling / SMTing / CO-washing, etc., and just ride it out. I've gone from all "goat hair" to 70% smooth hair with goat hair ends since joining here. Keep experimenting with products and techniques, and when you find out what your hair likes, feed it that and just wait it out. Hang in there!

NouvelleNymphe2
May 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Here is curly hair brushed (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/b4-brushedout.jpg?t=1305765353), and here is curly hair when short and layered (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/hair/brillohead.jpg?t=1305765397). Neither is a very pretty sight!

I beg to differ that bob is TOO CUTE!!!

GRU
May 18th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I beg to differ that bob is TOO CUTE!!!

Thanks, but that "bob" is almost APL length hair! :blueeek:

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Haha GRU, yeah, that's some frizz ;) My frizz issue is more just a surface frizz... little hairs that for some odd reason just go every which way and won't sit and errm... well don't look so good ;) I suppose compared to that it doesn't look so frizzy? But they really appear no matter what I do... whether my hair is brushed or not. I don't know if it's previous damage from colour and straightening, or whether my hair is just LIKE that now! I guess I will have the answer in two or so years :D.

I always said I'd prefer either straight hair or curly hair...it's this inbetweeny hair that drives me nuts :p.

bella77
May 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM
But Gru- your hair only looks like that when u brush it, ifu don't brush it then it looks gorgeous as in your siggy pic.

GRU
May 18th, 2011, 09:39 PM
But Gru- your hair only looks like that when u brush it, ifu don't brush it then it looks gorgeous as in your siggy pic.

The second picture isn't brushed.... and my hair is as wide as my shoulders in that picture! :lol:

Katze
May 19th, 2011, 01:54 AM
It just looks horrible no matter what I do to it. ...I think I may make quite a big chop, probably 4 inches or so. Then I might try to do a demi or semi color to even it out close to my natural ash blonde, then maybe let it grow from there. This stinks as I just bought myself a medium ficcarissimo, oh well, I could always sell it:D. I know my hair looks ok in pics, but in person it looks horrid- IMO.

I feel your pain! And I wish I had such a thick hemline as you - I don't see why you need to cut, from the picture you posted, unless your ends are seriously damaged...?!?

My hair looks OK in the mirror and terrible in pictures. I am always horrified when I see a picture of my hair. I have been coddling it for almost 6 years and have never had it longer than BSL.

May I suggest, as a former bleach-head, that you go cold turkey and stop the bleaching? If you want my opinion - and you didn't ask for it, so you can say, Katze, go stuff yourself :D - I think your color looks a touch brassy, even if, from that pic, your hair does not look damaged. Personally I find the cooler colors to work better on me, and often had a color similar to what you have. You say your hair is naturally ashy, so why not go to a color close to your natural one? Just my two cents, as someone who has been there!

I know all too well what it is like to hate your hair's lack of progress, hate that it is frizzy and messy, hate that it doesn't grow, etc.

Here are a few things that have helped me, besides cutting out bleach: SMTs with every wash. Leave-in from the ears down. 'Cones. Gel. Air-drying in a lazy wrap bun. Mousse. Blow-damping to style.

hth!

Debra83
May 19th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I know you said in your first post that you've tried it all, but have you tried the Garnier Fructis Triple oil Conditioner? It's cone free, and nothing shorter than a miracle for some people. cwc with it and use some as a leave in.

bella77
May 19th, 2011, 05:49 AM
I know you said in your first post that you've tried it all, but have you tried the Garnier Fructis Triple oil Conditioner? It's cone free, and nothing shorter than a miracle for some people. cwc with it and use some as a leave in.
yup, I tried that too!!

bella77
May 19th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I feel your pain! And I wish I had such a thick hemline as you - I don't see why you need to cut, from the picture you posted, unless your ends are seriously damaged...?!?

My hair looks OK in the mirror and terrible in pictures. I am always horrified when I see a picture of my hair. I have been coddling it for almost 6 years and have never had it longer than BSL.

May I suggest, as a former bleach-head, that you go cold turkey and stop the bleaching? If you want my opinion - and you didn't ask for it, so you can say, Katze, go stuff yourself :D - I think your color looks a touch brassy, even if, from that pic, your hair does not look damaged. Personally I find the cooler colors to work better on me, and often had a color similar to what you have. You say your hair is naturally ashy, so why not go to a color close to your natural one? Just my two cents, as someone who has been there!

I know all too well what it is like to hate your hair's lack of progress, hate that it is frizzy and messy, hate that it doesn't grow, etc.

Here are a few things that have helped me, besides cutting out bleach: SMTs with every wash. Leave-in from the ears down. 'Cones. Gel. Air-drying in a lazy wrap bun. Mousse. Blow-damping to style.

hth! I actually don't bleach my hair at all, I get the color from semi permanent which contains no ammonia or peroxide or bleach. I do not highlight my hair. I use cassia, which explains the brassy color as it does leave quite golden tones in my hair. I really dislike cool tones on me as my complexion is so ruddy- darn British skin! I look so washed out and pale, a more golden blonde suits me better. I have tried to get a color close to my natural color before, but it was a dark blonde with golden hues, I can never seem to get a natural, cool blonde color without my hair turning gray or having a greenish tint. I do not go to salons- ever! I have never walked out feeling good, I hate the way they cut my hair and last time I asked for color, I had lowlights put in and they were gray! I looked like a skunk.

bella77
May 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
so I oiled my hair really well with coconut oil, left it in a braid for a few hours and forgot about it. Took a nice hot bath, washed it with giovanni smooth as silk deep moisture shampoo followed by a mix of tresemme naturals condish mixed with a vo5 repair and strengthen condish and some honey- left this on while I shaved my legs and washed up, so about another 15 minutes or so, rinsed off, final step a acv and honey mixed with water poured over and left on. Towel dried, combed, a little coconut oil on the ends mixed with some water in my hands and OMG my hair is so soft and shiny and I can't stop touching it. I looked in my mirror because I was sure it was my imagination, but literally half the frizz is gone! I guess sometimes you just gotta change it up a bit!!!

spidermom
May 21st, 2011, 07:34 PM
I'm happy to read your latest success.

bella77
May 22nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
Thanks SM- the weird thing is my hair is so straight- like if I flat ironed it. The waves are almost gone. This is what I always thought of my hair, not wavy. It's so strange.