PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining shears?

alxardnax
May 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hi,
I just have a pair of Tweezerman hair shears and I don't know how to take care of them. How do I clean them and how often? How often do I sharpen them and with what, etc?
Could anyone help?
Thanks.

Anje
May 16th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I'd clean them by wiping them down with oil occasionally. Sharpening is something you should have done by a professional -- hair shears have different sorts of grinds from household scissors. Which one was used would have to be worked out and followed by the sharpener. Your household automated scissor sharpener is not something I'd trust for this.

alxardnax
May 16th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks! This may sounds stupid but what kind of oil should I use? lol.

Thanks again!

Zesty
May 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I was actually wondering the same thing. I just ordered a pair of Tweezerman scissors and I think on the website it says to wipe off with alcohol after use? Is there anything wrong with that? And I know Tweezerman does free sharpenings, but how do you know when you should send it in to get sharpened?

Anje
May 16th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Oil... I'm not sure. Mineral might be a good choice. Coconut might work. If you're using plant oils, I'd stick to the saturated fats like coconut to avoid any risk of building a film on the shears.

Joliebaby
May 16th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Okay why do you need to wipe them with alcohol or oil? If they are stainless steel, can you just rinse and dry them?

Zesty
May 17th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I imagine there's nothing wrong with it and that's probably what I'd end up doing out of laziness anyway. You are supposed to clean them well (alcohol, I guess) when you send them in for sharpening, though.

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I dont think ive ever cleaned mine. I do get mine sharpened at a local key cutting place though.