PDA

View Full Version : Aloe Vera Gel- what are the benefits?

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM
So I finally got around to trying AVG without by itself and not just in SMT's. I have to say, after a couple uses, so far my hair seems to really like it.

Is moisture the only benefit of AVG? Are there any cons? Can it be used too much?

Anyone with my hair type have experiences to share?

I am not really sure how to use it. For now I am just putting it in like I would oil. It doesn't leave any residue on my hair at all (it seems) like oil does, or like some other leave-in products do.

Can this be used instead of oil?

Can it be used by itself as a DCT?

Anything else anyone wants to share about AVG?

I like it quite a lot so far but have only used it twice. My hair seems much softer after one use. I used it the second time because my water softener wasn't working and I had a horrible hair state after a wash. The aloe really seemed to "fix" it that day and it has been soft ever since.

spidermom
May 16th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Don't use aloe vera gel when the climate is dry. It's one of those substances that pulls moisture toward whatever is dry (humectant). If your hair is dry and the climate is moist - good. But if it's the other way around - not good.

For me, aloe vera gel adds definition to my waves/curls instead of letting them go BUSH! Plus it adds moisture to my hair since the climate around here is downright wet most of the year.

myotislucifugus
May 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I know it can be used in place of hair gel, and had moisturizing products, but don't know much else, so really I'm just bumping this thread...

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
So only use it is my hair is dryer than the climate otherwise it will wick the moisture in my hair into the air?

Firefly
May 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Spidermom, how much AVG do you use? I've tried it as a sort of setting gel in the past and found it left my waves feeling a little crunchy. I didn't think I was using a lot (a good size squirt in the palm), but maybe I was..?

curlsgalore
May 16th, 2011, 10:51 AM
My daughter has tailbone length fine, but thick straight hair. She loves aloe vera gel. She uses it all year round with no problems whatsoever, everytime she washes her hair. It keeps her hair from frizzing and makes it soft. It never flakes on her at all. As a matter of fact if she's running low, she goes into a panic ;). It's definitely a staple for her. This (http://www.vitacost.com/Lily-of-the-Desert-Organics-Skin-Soothing-Aloe-Gel) is the one she likes best. It's a reasonably price as long as I'm ordering other stuff from there. We've tried a couple of other brands and this is the one that works the best for her. Hope this helps you. :)

CAPA7
May 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
If you use AVG first and then a little coconut oil, would it work better then? I'm thinking maybe the oil would seal the AVG's moisture in?

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
So now I am confused. does AVG have moisture or does it just suck the moisture from the air into your hair?

Phalaenopsis
May 16th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Spidermom, how much AVG do you use? I've tried it as a sort of setting gel in the past and found it left my waves feeling a little crunchy. I didn't think I was using a lot (a good size squirt in the palm), but maybe I was..?

I'm curious too, I would love to find something to hold braidwaves or sock bun curls better.

Scarlet_Heart
May 16th, 2011, 12:07 PM
My hair doesn't love it. It's ok for styling (as much as regular hair gel). But it makes my hair crunchy.

However, my face has never tolerated any kind of lotion (I get breakouts). But my dermatologist told me I need to moisturize my face. AVG is a God-send in this situation because I can use it in place of the lotion and it doesn't make me break-out.

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 12:12 PM
However, my face has never tolerated any kind of lotion (I get breakouts). But my dermatologist told me I need to moisturize my face. AVG is a God-send in this situation because I can use it in place of the lotion and it doesn't make me break-out.

AHH!!!! Me too!! Oh yeah I cannot wait to try it out as a moisturizer for my face!! I was told by my dermatologist to use fragrance free stuff but it still breaks me out. They never suggested AVG! I am excited! lol

Scarlet_Heart
May 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM
AHH!!!! Me too!! Oh yeah I cannot wait to try it out as a moisturizer for my face!! I was told by my dermatologist to use fragrance free stuff but it still breaks me out. They never suggested AVG! I am excited! lol

:disco:Glad to help! Yea, it was such a fluke. I had just bought some for my hair and I wasn't happy with the results. And I'm like, "what am I going to do with all this?" But it worked out great! Good luck, I hope you have similar results!

Just a note though, I haven't slathered it on my face or anything. I just dab it in the areas where my skin tends to get really dry.

Jenn of Pence
May 16th, 2011, 01:24 PM
So now I am confused. does AVG have moisture or does it just suck the moisture from the air into your hair?

Seriously, I've been trying to get an answer to this recently, too; I never got a definitive answer on the main forum. But from what I've researched, I would say in a very basic sense the humectants draw the moisture from a more saturated environment into a less saturated environment. Ergo, if you have moist hair in a dry environment it might suck the water out of your hair (I'm assuming the only "moisture" in the hair shaft is water, but I can't get a firm answer on that either ;)). That's what I've pieced together, at least, but I'm still "researching" the subject.

HairStickler
May 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I haven't used it on my hair yet (I am in a dry environment, so I'm a little scared) but I have it because a Hawaiian friend told me that it is great for sunburns. It works really well for that, and of course other burns, too. Sorry, I know that's not exactly what you're asking, but as long as you have some, you might as well know about *all* its uses. :)

SwordWomanRiona
February 11th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I use aloe vera gel instead of oils, which make my hair too greasy (and I only applied it to the ends...My hair doesn't absorb oils easily). I put a dollop of the gel in my ends, and some in my length too, after shampooing (as a leave-in, I don't rinse it out). My hair seems to like it - it remains soft, it doesn't get crunchy or sticky. It even disregards Spidermom's advice about not using it when the climate's dry, because where I live the climate's pretty dry a lot of times, and my hair remains the same...:).

My ends aren't dry, so I use it because I've got the hope that it might help against splits (seeing as it helps to heal skin...). I'm not sure if aloe vera can actually heal splits or something, or if it just helps preventing more by moisturizing the hair. Anyway, no harm seems to be coming out of it.

ETA: No, it can't actually heal splits (nice dream, though!), because hair is not alive, like skin, so it cannot heal itself, help or no help...Aloe does prevent further damage by moisturizing.

Dorothy
February 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I use it to stick down the long bangs I'm growing out that stick out of my buns, works like gel for that, really well. I also sometimes use it for smoothing down the fuzzy hairs that stick out of my otherwise straight hair - after my hair is dry, and I part it in the middle for the day, I rub a little between my hands and smooth it over the top. It does get crunchy, but if you comb it later, the fuzzys mostly stay down and the crunchy goes away. My fuzzys are grey hairs, but they're henna'd so they're red.