PDA

View Full Version : Hair Glossy Only Underneath?!

Annibelle
May 16th, 2011, 10:11 AM
In the sunlight, my hair is rather shiny. Otherwise... it's pretty dull. But the underside of my hair is some of the shiniest hair I've ever seen on ANYONE. It's also much darker than my outer layer. Could my outer layer be dull because of damage from the sun? I don't go out a lot, but maybe years of exposure has built up to leave my hair dull? Or could there be some other reason my underside is so shiny while the part people actually SEE isn't? Is your hair like this, too?

Gwen
May 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM
My hair is like this too... The underneath always looks and feels healthier and softer than the top. I think it's because it's not as exposed as the top layers of your hair (from what I've been told).

Gwen

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Probably exposure to sun, wind, etc. Plus it would get rubbed more, it is the part that gets rubbed in ponytail holders. I think most people have more damage to their canopy than the underside. My hair is much lighter where the sun can bleach it out.

HintOfMint
May 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Welcome to my life. Part of it is because the outer layer of my hair is a different texture from the underlayers, even close to the roots, but another part is the exposure to the elements.
Damp bunning second day hair helps quite a bit although it's never really going to be as smooth and glossy as the underlayer. Such. is. life.

Annibelle
May 16th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Okay, well, now that I know I'm not alone... do you guys have any suggestions for making the top layer (or all of it) shinier? I've just begun using jojoba and coconut oil... do these help with shininess?

Anje
May 16th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Sunlight and lots of handling will both decrease the condition of hair and make it less shiny. Lighter colored hair also tends to look less shiny, simply because there's less contrast between the reflected light and the hair color.

Oil definitely can help. It adds some superficial shine, and it can also help improve hair's condition. Basically, anything you do to improve your hair's health will improve shine.

BLove
May 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I have started oiling the canapy hair more than the rest and it has seemed to help the luster and health of the hair that shows.

Firefox7275
May 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Okay, well, now that I know I'm not alone... do you guys have any suggestions for making the top layer (or all of it) shinier? I've just begun using jojoba and coconut oil... do these help with shininess?

It's well worth having a really thorough read of the forums, Articles and Reviews sections (linky at top of page), there is just so much information. :) Maybe protect your hair from future sun damage with a leave-in conditioner, maybe try a cold water and/ or diluted vinegar rinse, intensive treatments such as Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) or overnight hot oiling (microfibre towel turban), could try coconut oil shampoo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063) or conditioner-only washing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898). Depends what your current routine is really! ;)