PDA

View Full Version : Trouble hair area?

PeonyGarden
May 16th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Hi. I have this area of my hair - right at the crown on the back, that does not behave or feel like the rest of my hair.
Generally the hair in this area is not as silky feeling. It's much rougher, brittle, snaps more easily, and tangles up quickly, even immediately after combing. It also doesn't curl as well as the rest of my hair.

Does anyone else have an area where their hair behaves like this? Is there any way I can condition my hair until it behaves as the rest does?

I'm thinking of trying oiling that spot in particular, especially right at the scalp. I don't normally oil my scalp, generally just the length as a conditioner every day, but I was thinking perhaps that area of the scalp does not produce enough oil naturally.

Any advise, stories or questions would be really appreciated!

Arya
May 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hi. I have this area of my hair - right at the crown on the back, that does not behave or feel like the rest of my hair.
Generally the hair in this area is not as silky feeling. It's much rougher, brittle, snaps more easily, and tangles up quickly, even immediately after combing. It also doesn't curl as well as the rest of my hair.

Does anyone else have an area where their hair behaves like this? Is there any way I can condition my hair until it behaves as the rest does?

I'm thinking of trying oiling that spot in particular, especially right at the scalp. I don't normally oil my scalp, generally just the length as a conditioner every day, but I was thinking perhaps that area of the scalp does not produce enough oil naturally.

Any advise, stories or questions would be really appreciated!
Is it that part that rubs on your pillow? Because the underside of my hair is like that, and I think it's from sleep damage...maybe satin pillowcases?

Firefox7275
May 16th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Is it a patch that is being pulled when you wear an up-do, getting too much attention when you shampoo, rubbing against the car headrest or sofa back? AFAIK oiling does not add moisture it just seals it in or out, maybe try a homemade detangling spray of diluted conditioner? :)

HintOfMint
May 16th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I don't know if this is what you mean, but I have a few sections of hair in which the hair is a completely different texture. It's wirey, coarse, bumpy, varying degrees of thickness, with no real curl pattern to speak of, just jagged. Some of the hairs are very fine and rough but most are thick wires. The only thing that really helped them stay tangle free is cones.

Anje
May 16th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Does that spot happen to support a lot of your updos? Do you do lots of ponytail-based styles with an elastic? I had a big broken section in that zone from daily ponytails, a few years back. A little TLC for the funny section sounds like a good idea, in any case.

I'd also suggest eliminating other possibilities of friction on that spot from headrests, pillows, etc. Satin or silk coverings on surfaces or your hair are awesome in that regard.