PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else prefer layers in their hair?

buttercupmcgee
May 16th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I'm fairly new here so I'm not sure if there's a thread for this--my search came up empty, so please let me know if I'm missing it.

I was just wondering if there are any other LHC members who actually prefer layers in their hair. All-one-length hair does not flatter my face, and I find my hair has more movement, shape, bounce, and dimension with some subtle layers, too.

I'd love to find a place to discuss different layering techniques and styles, share pics, etc.

This is my dream hair:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-h4Fvq9fkqrc/TZ-QyprEFKI/AAAAAAAAAiA/OdXbtiB0r2o/s1600/miranda-kerr-015330.jpg

Thanks!

zirena
May 16th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Yep! I find that all one length makes me look too childish and boring. Layers just give me a huge lift and is MUCH more flattering on me.

*Sigh* Miranda Kerr is disgustingly gorgeous! :P

AuburnTresses
May 16th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I prefer layers. Not the choppy kind, but the blended. I'm very careful about getting layers though because of a bad haircut when I was young.

Miranda Kerr has pretty hair. I hope you make it to your dream hair. :)

BLove
May 16th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I have found that with my thick hair layers work better. I really think it depends on the hair as to what works.

KittyLost
May 16th, 2011, 10:13 AM
When my hair is longer (BSL and below) I love layers, they make my curls more defined whereas blunt cuts just make my hair strangely wavey. I hate layers on my shorter hair though as they are just uncontrolable.

HintOfMint
May 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I'm really torn on my layers. On one hand, updos and braids can be a bit wonky due to the ends sticking out and "premature" braid taper.

On the other hand, my hair looks really nice down. It looks kempt and deliberate.

On the other other hand, haha, one length hair would look so much more dramatic, imposing and wild on me. I have a small frame and thick wavy hair, so if the layers were longer the contrast between me and my frame would be even more stark. However, while this looks interesting I'm not sure if it looks good. It seems like it's a choice to look either interesting or decent but not both.

dulce
May 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I love layers on loose hair but it can be a problem with some hairstyles[tightly twisted buns] as the shorter ends pop out.Also ,now that my hair is getting near waist as it is not extremely thick,the layers make my hemline too thin so I am now growing my layers to one length for a thicker looking hairhemline and more versitility in hair styles.The girl in the picture looks great,it appears she has very thick hair.So it all depends on your goals and how thick your hair is.I loved my layers from shoulder length to mid back length.

FoxRain
May 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I don't mind layers. Just not in my own hair. It looks weird on me. Long layers like that look great though! Gives the hair more "flow" and life.

I have trouble standing really short layers though (above chin-length). It looks weird with long hair in my opinion.

annieangel149
May 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM
layers look better on me! i had a trim today and asked the hairdresser to put some layers in! layers suit me better :D i dont like to overdo it though as im growing my hair out at the moment :)

Joliebaby
May 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Ha ha, I tend to think layers make my thick, wavy hair look MORE unkempt and random :D On short hair they are really fun though.
Right now my layers are sh*tty because I trimmed them myself and ended lopsided and they are way too choppy and not blended well. Thankfully I had the good sense to stop there even though they don't look too hot. I think I'll have my stylist friend clean them up.. I'd much rather have all-one length...

WittyWordsmith
May 16th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I'm also a layer-lover! I'm interested to see how mine grow out and what I'll do. I may want to do a blunt hemline after it's really long, but it all depends on the styles I'll be doing etc.

annieangel149
May 16th, 2011, 11:04 AM
i like layers! they suit my face better!:D I kept my length and had a trim but got a few more layers put in today and the hairdresser did a great job! it looks better i think! :)

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I liked layers when that was how I had my hair cut. They are not ideal for doing braids but I think layers can be fun. I personally sported a "shag" haircut with a perm for a long time. Iliked it a lot, but I have just moved on.

Lilli
May 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Ha ha, I tend to think layers make my thick, wavy hair look MORE unkempt and random :D On short hair they are really fun though.
Right now my layers are sh*tty because I trimmed them myself and ended lopsided and they are way too choppy and not blended well. Thankfully I had the good sense to stop there even though they don't look too hot. I think I'll have my stylist friend clean them up.. I'd much rather have all-one length...

I just have to say that you have the thickest hair I have ever seen. It is gorgeous. :D

Scarlet_Heart
May 16th, 2011, 11:51 AM
It depends; either way I'm unsatisfied with something.

My hair is thick and heavy. So I'm with you; when my hair is down, it looks a lot nicer with some wavy layers. It's bouncier and more interesting looking.

However, layers make a lot of styles impossible. I can't do a bun and have it look nice and neat. There are always pieces sticking out. Same goes for braids.

So I'm going to grow my length to TBL, then maintain and grow my layers to TBL and we'll see how I like it. But I may go back to layers if I'm not crazy about it. I haven't had all-one-length hair in years and years.

ETA: Check out UltraBella's profile. She is, like, the superstar of layered hair in my book. ;) Just gorgeous.

annieangel149
May 16th, 2011, 11:56 AM
i find that because my hair is sooooo straight it needs some layers! it just looks better!

Quezie
May 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Layers don't really work with the way my hair naturally moves, which I discovered years ago when I had pretty long hair and had layers cut in which were very unflattering and made my hair look thinner.

I love face framing layers though. :)

BrightEyes7
May 16th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I have had layers and now that my hair is hip-length it is all one length. (well... except for some shorter pieces that were once bangs)

I have to say I think I enjoyed my hair more with layers. Now it seems like my hair just lays there and does nothing. Sure they get a bit annoying with braids and up-dos, but I love wearing my hair down.

I've been thinking about getting layers cut back in my hair... I'll let everyone know how it goes if I decide to do it!

feb26
May 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Count me in as a layer-lover!! I love straight hair (no layers on me) but is too harsh as I'm 5'4
I really love my layers and actually have layers similair to what you depicted though tapered at ends. My hair moves more with layers

LadieRyrie
May 16th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Meh...not for me. When I got layers, they looked awesome for the first day. After that, they melded into my longer hairs, making it look like a curtain of split ends. I prefer not to use mousse and such to make my layers come out. The less I use on my hair, the better.

Lots of people look fantastic with layers. But my favorite look is always that shining one-layer blunt cut. XD

:D

ooo
May 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
For about two years I wanted a blunt hemline with no layers, now I start to want them again. I'm afraid of cutting layers, because I might change my mind later on.

squiggyflop
May 16th, 2011, 01:26 PM
lol lots of people like layers..
i dont like them on me, this is because we always want what we cant have.. my hair actually grows in layers.. so when my hair was shorter, i would cut my hair blunt and a couple months later it would be layered looking from the underside growing faster than my canopy. i cant have all one length hair so thats what i yearn for, just because i cant have it..

kitschy
May 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM
My name is Kitschy and I'm a layerholic.

sharicat
May 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I love layers too! I want to get to waist length and grow out my fringe, so I will just have some round the front and one long layer at the back to give it movement. My hair just hangs without them!

ravenreed
May 16th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I love layers in my hair. I agree that they can make braids a challenge, but I don't wear them that often.

Ashenputtel
May 16th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I like face framing layers and I want to keep them, but I'm getting rid of them everywhere else.

Kristin
May 16th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I like layers, too. Right now, my goal is to grow out my blunt bangs, get side-swept bangs and cut my hair like Yaya on YouTube.

That exact photo of Miranda Kerr was my inspiration when I started growing, too! And now it's longer than hers!

buttercupmcgee
May 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Wow, I had no idea there were so many of you lurking out there! :-) I'm glad I'm not alone. You all have such lovely hair, too. Can't wait to follow your progress!

buttercupmcgee
May 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I like layers, too. Right now, my goal is to grow out my blunt bangs, get side-swept bangs and cut my hair like Yaya on YouTube.

That exact photo of Miranda Kerr was my inspiration when I started growing, too! And now it's longer than hers!

Hooray! This gives me such hope! Feels like I've been in shoulderland forever! :p

Mesmerise
May 16th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I think my hair looked better with some long layers, but because of massive shedding I've got waaaaay too much taper as it is, and thus I'm not going to cut layers back in any time soon.

I also get a wee bit worried getting them cut in in the first place, cause about 4 years ago I asked for LONG layers in my hair (which was BSL+) and I ended up with this THICK chin length layer right around my head. ARGH... I ended up chopping off several inches over the next few months because the lowest layers were so thin looking.

I'm not sure how someone would interpret "long" layers as a chin length layer... so next time if I do it I will have to be more specific and demonstrate what *I* mean by long layers!!

jojo
May 16th, 2011, 06:24 PM
lol lots of people like layers..
i dont like them on me, this is because we always want what we cant have.. my hair actually grows in layers.. so when my hair was shorter, i would cut my hair blunt and a couple months later it would be layered looking from the underside growing faster than my canopy. i cant have all one length hair so thats what i yearn for, just because i cant have it..

strictly speaking nobody's hair is one length, not really due to different hairs growing at different stages.

growingpains
May 16th, 2011, 07:30 PM

This is my dream hair:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-h4Fvq9fkqrc/TZ-QyprEFKI/AAAAAAAAAiA/OdXbtiB0r2o/s1600/miranda-kerr-015330.jpg

Nice hair; inspiring! I hope mine will look like that length and cut wise in a few months!

BUT, ultimately I do want more all one length hair, or I at least want to try to have *less* layers. I don't have very thick hair, so I feel like if I have less layers I will have a better hemline. That said, I really do like the body of layers and also the face framing aspect.

I personally think I will always keep very subtle layers in my hair, if not substantial layers, especially around the face. I've been trying to grow out my front layers for years and keep failing as I miss layers and hack into em time and time again.

maborosi
May 16th, 2011, 07:36 PM
As long as the layers aren't somewhere like chin-length (which my shortest ones are- FRUSTRATING.) then they're fine. For someone like me with fine hair, they can help give the hair an illusion of volume if done right.

~maborosi~

azhie
May 17th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I liked layers when I was growing out my hair. I wore my hair down more often then and it looked better. Now that it's longer (past waist) and I like to keep it up, I find myself wishing my hair wasn't layered.

UltraBella
May 17th, 2011, 08:38 AM
ETA: Check out UltraBella's profile. She is, like, the superstar of layered hair in my book. ;) Just gorgeous.

Awwww !!!! Thank you !!!! What a compliment ! I really do LOVE my layers and they are a must for my hair :)

My name is Kitschy and I'm a layerholic.

Someone who understands my obsession !!!! Let's start a club ! Or an addiction self-help group, lol ;)

Kathie
June 3rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
I’ve just spent some time adding to my face framing layers- I have a lot of hair so it was looking really boring and blunt around my face. I’m so happy I did it’s looking nice and wavy now. I don’t have any layers in the back- mainly because I’m not that keen to try and it’s only just above APL now. I’m might add layers once it reaches BSL if the hemline is still thick enough.
So, yup! I really like layers.

Avital88
June 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
I need layers on the front, else i look like a zombie imo :D

Kaelee
June 3rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
I have choppyish shaggy layers. I LOVE them, but anything other than down, half up or ponytail is out of the question even at almost- APL.

Mairéad
June 3rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
I like long, barely shorter layers when my hair is long and I also like face framing.

The problem though is people who cut my hair NEVER listen to me. I always ask for just one long layer that isn't much shorter and next thing I know I end up with week whacker hair layers as high as my chin.

Of course, I have short hair right now though. :c

RitaPG
June 3rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
My hair is not made for layers (fine and straight) if I did it, it would look scraggily and ratted. Even face framing layers (that you only get at the front) make me look like I have very little hair.

But I've seen a lot of people suit them beautifully. I cut my sister's hair, and hers is thick with a slight wave, and looks perfect with layers.

A lot of LHC folks prefer layered hair, you're not alone on that one :)

katsrevenge
June 3rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
My hair almost needs layers to keep it manageable and to avoid 'triangle hair'. It's not like I have heavy layering through my hair. I have roughly 4. The shortest one is roughly at shoulder level and on down.

Eden75
June 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
I need layers or my hair is way too heavy. My shortest layers are between apl and bsl. There are a few lengths, nothing major. They also help keep my curls looking nice and bouncy when I wear them. One length makes them look scraggy and pulled out.

elbow chic
June 3rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
I miss my layers. Had them for what, ten years? Sniff.

Except when I put my hair in braids. Then I'm glad they are all but gone. :D Sometimes my shortest layer will pop out at the very end of a braid and I'm like: :mad:

My shortest layer now is around APL, and my longest is a little past BSL, and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about this big fat bushy sort of hair that's grown in over the last couple years.

heidi.maryke
June 3rd, 2011, 09:05 PM
Another layers lover here! My hair needs them or else I do end up a triangle head, and my hair looks better down with some bounce and movement to it.... not like it is at present :P

Thinthondiel
June 3rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
I prefer layers, because it means less hair to deal with and because it makes the hair SO much easier to curl and makes the curls look nicer and last a lot longer.

McFearless
June 3rd, 2011, 11:19 PM
When my hair is styled, yes. Layers look really good. On curly hair it is a little more hard to tame. I think thick haired people benefit from layers the most, especially at shorter lengths.

hypersensitive
June 4th, 2011, 12:32 AM

Doesn't she look fantastic?! Short hair, long hair, doesn't matter; that girl can rock it! I'm sad that she hacked it all off though...

I’ve just spent some time adding to my face framing layers- I have a lot of hair so it was looking really boring and blunt around my face. I’m so happy I did it’s looking nice and wavy now.

I remember I used to have layers in my 1b APL hair. Does. Not. Work! It's not straight, it's not wavy. Argh! I was so annoyed at it. It didn't do what I wanted, I was very frustrated. When I got the cut, the hairdresser made it look really nice, but to achieve that same look, I would have to flatiron and style it. Way too much effort for me. Maybe it was also the instrument she used for the cut- namely, a razor (of death....) I got SO so many split ends, esp around my face and it didn't help my hair gets frizzy, ugh, bad memories. No layers for me!

longhairdntcare
June 4th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Yes but I have major horse face if I don't have layers. Also my hair is sooo fine yet heavy (like the worst combination for volume at the roots) so I really need them.

wandlimb
June 4th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I have layers just at the front, the shortest bit being at the bottom of my ear and then graduating down. It's from when I grew my fringe out. I like it like this - I think it gives it some shape, which I need to not have 'curtains'. It might sound a bit short but it looks good!

LovingLongHair
June 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I like layers in my hair. My hair is really really straight and it adds more life to it. Also if I don't have layers my hair feels really limp and flat. But I prefer the longer layers. :)

HappyMuser
June 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I like long layers :) They work great with my waves

curlymarcia
June 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I have layers, and used to hated them. But now that the shortest one is, finally, at AL I believed they look much better.

dmarie63
June 5th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I use blended layers. I find the blunt ends looks odd on me. The layers soften it up a bit. :)

|Xei
June 5th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I love layers. I think my hair looks many times more interesting with layers than no layers/very subtle layers. My hair naturally poofs out a little at the ends, so with the right layers, I can get a decent amount of natural volume by air-drying.

I wear my hair down most of the time as well, so layers give me a lot more options with styling.

Fufu
June 5th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I like layers too, I believe it adds flows to my hair

Ligeia_13
June 6th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Ooooh, layers :D I'd love to have a hairdresser actually give me the kind of layers I want for once. They make hair so light and flowy. Unfortunately I always get something that resembles layers instead :rolleyes:

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 12:38 PM
hate hate hate layers... They just seem to make my hair more "pouffy" and tangled.... :(

NouvelleNymphe2
June 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I, personally, prefer all one length hair. Now that I have evened up my hair it is so much thicker and looks very flattering this way. My sister, however, has hair a little longer than BSL that is all three textures (F, M, & C) and very thick and she really likes layers. They look great in her hair too. Her ponytail always looks really pretty too. My hair is very fine so the one length looks better, and my face is round so the one solid length makes it look like nice and symmetrical. I think whatever looks best really varies depending on the face, hair texture and thickness.

WittyWordsmith
June 6th, 2011, 02:30 PM
I love layers. I love them in my hair now, and I also am looking forward to having long layers as it grows.

While I really enjoy the blunt hemline look with one solid length, for my own head I prefer it layered.

feb26
June 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I love layers in my hair!! they make my hair so bouncy, full of life & takes alot of the heaviness out. Layer-lover 4ever!

Silverdragn7385
June 7th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I have long, blended layers, and I love 'em! They make my hair feel lighter, go into updo's better without feeling so weighed down, and helps my hair to hold a good curl!

<3OnHerSleeve
September 22nd, 2011, 07:44 PM
I LOVE layers. I've had layers my entire life except when I was 14-15. I cut my own and have never really worried too much about putting my hair up in braids and buns. It helps when the layers are long and the overall length of hair is long, then it doesn't matter although under BSL means a lot of hair pins holding in the extra little ends poking out :)

SarahKayfa
September 22nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
I love layers when my hair is shorter, and I always assumed they made my fine hair look more voluminous, and that I'd keep them even as my hair grew long. But now that my hair is growing longer and the layers are growing out, my hair is sooo much thicker and heavier. It makes me wonder if the layers were as great an idea as I thought...

UltraBella
September 22nd, 2011, 09:19 PM
I am going to get me some more layers - mega layers, I like to call them - Oct 3rd !!!! YES !!!!!!!

Stephanie
September 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
Love layers. The ONLY way my fine, thin hair looks thick(er).

Flying Penguin
September 22nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
I have long layers - they only go up about an inch or so. I like how they look but they do make updos and braids harder... But then again I have a U-shape so it's already harder. I haven't decided the next time I get a trim, if I want to get a blunt U-shape or get long subtle layers (also in a U-shape) like what I have now... The problem with getting layers is I think it would be hard to do myself, and if I have someone else do it I'd be afraid they would layer it too much.

I think layers make hair that's worn down look better, but of course they make updos harder... darn tradeoff, lol.

Also, I have had layers for as long as I can remember, so I'm not sure how my hair would look without them.

longhairedlady
September 22nd, 2011, 11:09 PM
I think layers look very pretty but everytime I have had layers cut into my hair I have regretted it!

Alacris~
September 23rd, 2011, 12:01 AM
I love layers! I actually think they look great in updo's too! I like the messy kind of updo^^ It can be tricky sometimes, but I don't really find it a hassle. It's ok if it's not to tidy!:D
And I really like layers around my face. It looks better that way (especially when the rest of the hair is up). Plus it gives more volume:D. Win - win -situation right :D
I always like the look of layers, but on others I can find one lenght hair really pretty too!! It just depends on the person and what suits them best^^

teal
September 23rd, 2011, 01:37 AM
Yes... layers are the only way to keep myself from chopping my hair off. I don't understand it at all, but it's the truth. I'll keep them til they become fairytale ends. :)

kidari
September 23rd, 2011, 03:07 AM
I love layers. When cut right, it flatters my face and makes my hair much easier to style. It blends my coarse hairs with my finer hairs, gives movement to my not straight yet not wavy or curly hair, and makes it look thicker. The only problem is, I can't seem to have the layers that I love that work for me best when I reach waist length. My layers up top are too short and my hair is not thick enough. I'll either get a strange mullet-like effect or my ends will appear pathetic and thin. I'm so tempted to maintain at MBL but I really want waist length or longer. It's tough because it looks awesome down, but the layers make it a challenge to wear up in certain updos and especially in anything braided.

LuciousLox
September 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
Sometimes I think long, pin-straight hair, looks kind of "1970's"- without layers.
I like long layers, like what Miranda Kerr has :) It gives the hair sexy movement and body.

However, my layers are annoying. The stylist cut them into short layers, 1/2 way up my head! :(
They are a real pain when I'm braiding my hair.

Also, I could see if you had thin hair, layers would make your ends look even thinner!

So layers aren't for everyone...

Vanilla
September 23rd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I have a lovely stylist that cuts perfect long layers in my hair. It's enough that it gives my hair movement and makes my hair less heavy.