PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo & frizzies question

shellwe
May 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I color my hair every 5 to 6 week with Clairol Natural Instincts, not ready to go gray yet. I've been washing my hair with Deva Curl shampoo & conditioner and it works well enough but I've been ending up with terrible frizzies after I blow dry my hair.

I don't use any other products in my hair.

I tried my DD Biolage Color shampoo & condish this morning and the shampoo made my hair feel like straw. The conditioner softened it but holy cow it felt aweful after shampooing. I'm finding that any shampoo I use besides the Deva Curl makes it feel like straw after it's rinsed.

I would appreciate any advice / recommendation on shampoo / conditioner that don't make my hair feel aweful and or other products that help control frizzies.

TIA

spidermom
May 16th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Try the cwc method (apply conditioner to length, shampoo scalp, condition again). Also, dilute your shampoo in some warm water. (I use an empty shampoo bottle for this.)

If you must blow dry, don't use the hot setting, and be sure to point the flowing air down the hair.

Firefly
May 16th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I only very recently discovered that my hair does not like shampoo. I'm alternating now between conditioner only washes and conditioner--diluted shampoo-conditioner. I find I have virtually no frizzies this way (and another added bonus-- no scalp flakes). Good luck!

Firefox7275
May 16th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I've been dying my hair for twenty years and long since given up on shampoos for colour-treated hair because they are so stripping, I think this is because they aim to remove anything that dulls the colour. :( Have you searched the Reviews section (clicky at top of page)?

You don't have your hair type completed on your profile, how curly are you? What product(s) are you using to define the curl, if any (leave-in conditioner, gel)? Have you tried any of the CurlyGirl techniques (CO-washes, scrunching products in soaking hair, plopping)? Do you have a diffuser on your hair dryer and have you tried air drying?

shellwe
May 16th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Thank you for the replies ~ I really appreciate them.

My hair is abit wavy not curly and it's shoulder length with layers that I'm trying to grow out. When I dry my hair it's just the top that I dry on medium heat so that I can get it to stay out of my face. I don't use any other products but shampoo and conditioner.

Firefox7275
May 16th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Thank you for the replies ~ I really appreciate them.

My hair is abit wavy not curly and it's shoulder length with layers that I'm trying to grow out. When I dry my hair it's just the top that I dry on medium heat so that I can get it to stay out of my face. I don't use any other products but shampoo and conditioner.

Could you maybe kirby grip (bobby pin) it back when wet so your hair air dries off your face or try wrapping (doobie)? I never found any way to stop my wavy hair being fluffy/ poofy, turns out it's curlier than I realised! :rolleyes: Currently getting calmer hair with CO-washing (Inecto coconut conditioner) and leave-in conditioner (Fructis Triple Nutrition). Not sure if it's quitting sulphates and cones or just more moisture that is working. :o Also combing instead of brushing really helps.

CrisDee
May 16th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Check to see if your shampoo or conditioner have silicones in them - 'cones make my hair frizz, don't know why. Oh, and I second trying the CO thing, my hair has been SO much happier since I quit the shampoo. :)

shellwe
May 16th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Check to see if your shampoo or conditioner have silicones in them - 'cones make my hair frizz, don't know why. Oh, and I second trying the CO thing, my hair has been SO much happier since I quit the shampoo. :)

I also forgot to mention that I wash my hair everyday. With CO washing do you have to clarify at some point? Off to read up on CO and CWC methods.

Anje
May 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Looking at the ingredients lists, I'm noticing that your Biolage shampoo has SLES, SLS, and a host of other cleansers, while the Deva Curl Low-Poo has only cocamidopropyl betaine, and that's pretty far down the ingredients list. So I'm pretty sure you have similar issues to me -- wash hair with something too cleansing and you get frizz.

So I'll third the suggestion to try CO washing. Or if your scalp won't do that, dilute your shampoo substantially and CWC. Yes, you'll have to clarify at some point, particularly with CO washing. However, if you chose a conditioner that doesn't build up much on you, you might be shampooing a few times a year, instead of every wash or two. That's a lot less frizz.