PDA

View Full Version : Change of hair type? (pics)

Signe
May 16th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Hey all!
I was browsing through some old photos today and came across one from around this time last year:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5242/40326429682717397516492.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/40326429682717397516492.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

As you can see, my hair is quite curly in this photo. Unfortunately, it is no longer like that. I changed to WO from S&C in january this year, and I had heard that on WO, curly/wurly girls get a bit stretched out, but I didn't realise until now that my hair had changed SO much! (also, it is not that my hair is stretching out because of the weight of being longer, because I had some unfortunate stylist-disasters over the course of the year and have even shorter hair now than I did then!)

I really like when my curls come out in full force, but even if I go back to shampoo on the odd occasion and reset the sebum-levels in my hair, it still never gets like that anymore! Is this just the result of having less damaged hair overall?

Obviously, I don't want to go back to the dry, tangly mess that it was pre-lhc, but I miss those curls! I do sock buns quite frequently and love them, although those curls are very different than my natural ones, more polished and "princessy".

Anyone else have this happen to them?
Also, based on my album/siggy pic, would you say I still look like a 2a/2b, or have I moved to 1c/2a territory?
(I always do a combined-hairtype because my nape is much straighter than my canopy)

lapushka
May 16th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Maybe try switching from WO to CO, just to see what happens when you change routines for a while. CO is quite popular for wavies / (w)(c)urlies. It could be that WO is not the ideal routine for your hair.

buttercupmcgee
May 16th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Do you attribute the "dry, tangly mess" to your simply using shampoo? Or could there be another culprit---were you also coloring/using heat/washing often/etc?

I would suggest returning to the routine that made your hair look the way you like it to look. But, as lapushka said, maybe throw some CO in there.

Maybe shampoo once every 10 days and CO the rest? I think if you avoid heat, oil with some regularity, and wear hair up every now and then to prevent fraying/damage from the elements, the occasional shampoo won't cause too much damage.

I shampoo twice a week, I tried CO and my hair just felt waxy and flat after a few sessions. I just make sure to give it plenty of conditioner and don't heat style, and I haven't looked back!

If our hair doesn't look the way we want it to, what's the point? I am willing to suffer any microscopic damage that my twice weekly shampooing may bring, if it means I like the way my hair looks. It's all about balance IMO.

PolarCathy
May 16th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I had the same experience with WO, went from 2c/3a to ...meh...like 2b. Or even worse. (I don't want to have straight hair.) Yet it was way the best routine for my hair in terms of hair quality so as soon as I am done with my castor oil hair growth experiments I will be back to WO even if it means that I "have to" give up being curly. Until then, I am going to try amla powder. I hope it can bring back some of my curls. If it helps, I will keep using it even when back to WO.

cowgirllong
May 16th, 2011, 09:59 AM
My hair did just the opposite thing when I went to WO. It became more curly that it was before. In my case, I think the conditioner weighted down my hair. I agree with the poster who said maybe WO isn't the best for your hair. It seems odd that you would lose curl...

Firefox7275
May 16th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Maybe try switching from WO to CO, just to see what happens when you change routines for a while. CO is quite popular for wavies / (w)(c)urlies. It could be that WO is not the ideal routine for your hair.

I am pretty happy with conditioner-only at present, much less poofy/ fluffy than sulphate shampoo and coney conditioner. It took a few CO-washes with scrunching in conditioner before my curl settled where it is now. Perhaps it's sebum that is the problem or maybe conditioner helps bring out the curl? Maybe one shampoo wash is not able to clarify all the sebum out, nor one condition build up enough moisture to reactivate the curl. :shrug:

pepperminttea
May 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Did your previous S/C routine contain 'cones? A lot of people find that going 'cone-free changes their hairtype a bit - I found mine got wavier, but some have mentioned the opposite. :)

Signe
May 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks everyone for posting! After reading all your responses, I think I will try a good CO next time I want some curls, since that seems to be a popular idea so far. I have a bottle of "emergency" condish, for when WO just isn't enough. I am still going to stay mostly WO, because I like how it is low-impact and cheap, but those days where I want something a bit different, CO seems to be the method of choice.

Do you attribute the "dry, tangly mess" to your simply using shampoo? Or could there be another culprit---were you also coloring/using heat/washing often/etc?

Fortunately, I stopped colouring and heat styling way before I found LHC, and I have been stretching washes since highschool.
I think in my case it was cone build up, SLS shampoo (I never checked what was in my shampoo or condish, I just bought based on price/smell), and general rough treatment that caused my horrendous tangles.

I had the same experience with WO, went from 2c/3a to ...meh...like 2b. Or even worse. (I don't want to have straight hair.) Yet it was way the best routine for my hair in terms of hair quality so as soon as I am done with my castor oil hair growth experiments I will be back to WO even if it means that I "have to" give up being curly. Until then, I am going to try amla powder. I hope it can bring back some of my curls. If it helps, I will keep using it even when back to WO.

This is really helpful to me, polarcathy! I agree that this is a very good method for me in terms of hair health, as well as being an environmental concern for me, so I am reluctant to give it up.
I am going to run off now and read up on amla powder, though!

Did your previous S/C routine contain 'cones? A lot of people find that going 'cone-free changes their hairtype a bit - I found mine got wavier, but some have mentioned the opposite. :)

I used everything under the sun...didn't even know what cones were til i came here! My emergency condish is cone-free, though, so hopefully when I do my CO experiment I will get similar results as you. :p

PolarCathy
May 16th, 2011, 11:38 AM
(...)
I am going to run off now and read up on amla powder, though!

You can find lots of info about amla on henna forums. People who lost their curl because of henna try to regain it with amla (or they mix it into the henna mix itself to prevent loosening curls). When I tried henna just on a small section of my hair I want you to know that it stripped my WO hair completely and it took me a couple of days and a not very well cleaned hairbrush :) to get my hair back to its original (sebum-coated) state. Since then I henndigoed so at the moment I don't care about the fact that most of my sebum has been removed but I remember the shock with the strand test. IDK if the amla does the same but I would think it probably does. It may be drying. You may want to be uber careful with your gorgeous head of WO hair.

Shany
May 21st, 2011, 05:41 PM

I think everyone is different and needs to try different things to see which routine works best. Since I went back to cones, my hair is MUCH wavier.