PDA

View Full Version : Twisting for a Figure 8 or Infinity

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Sometimes when I am doing these even if I am gentle I feel like I am hurting my hair. Anyone else feel this way? What is your solution? I wear these styles a lot and am concerned that the twisting to achieve them may be damaging. Does anyone NOT twirl the hair to make the buns before folding over to make the style? Or maybe twirl less or more gently? Am I making sense?

spidermom
June 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Yes. I continue to find wadded-up-looking, split ends, and I think that part of my problem may be twisting for up-dos. I have been struggling to find ways to put my hair up without twisting, but it's been rather difficult.

Gumball
June 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I've noticed it gets a little annoying since when I start wrapping the hair and especially when I start flipping the loop up to complete the style that my hair starts to pull and gets uncomfortable. Ways I combat this are either to twist a little more gently to eliminate the initial tug or when I pull up the loop work it so it's a small bit looser.

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I've noticed it gets a little annoying since when I start wrapping the hair and especially when I start flipping the loop up to complete the style that my hair starts to pull and gets uncomfortable. Ways I combat this are either to twist a little more gently to eliminate the initial tug or when I pull up the loop work it so it's a small bit looser.

I don't have a problem with comfort really, it's probably the most comfy hairstyle I know next to a braid. It's just when I twist all of the hair to form the bun for it even though I don't do it tightly it seem like it might not be good for my hair.

shrimp
June 18th, 2008, 09:23 AM
You could try not twisting? I never twist my hair for buns, just wrap it without the twisting. this is probably eaiser for curlies to manage too due to the natural grabiness factor.

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM
You could try not twisting? I never twist my hair for buns, just wrap it without the twisting. this is probably eaiser for curlies to manage too due to the natural grabiness factor.

I've tried that but even though my hair is one length it ends up with curls boinging out and not very neat. Also it's BIG and hard to hold it all with a fork that way. Maybe I need to practice. I guess I could also try to use a few pins. I like using just one hairtoy.

frizzinator
June 18th, 2008, 10:49 AM
A fork seems to hold it more securely for me when it is not twisted tightly. A two prong fork inserted through the holes using the twists like a slide or I use a two or three prong fork if I catch twist hairs to secure.

coppercurls
June 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I don't always twist very tight either. Yes, it causes "huge buns".:eyebrows:
To keep ends in, I do twist & tuck rather firmly.

PatGear
June 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I often wear my inifinity buns untwisted. I can sometimes get it to hold with a fork if I don't detangle first, but I can always get it to hold with a slide, like a Flexi-8. Here' (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=452&pictureid=11490)s a picture from my album of one such bun.

Untwisted works really well with an inside-out bun. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=452&pictureid=4511)and here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=452&pictureid=4520)are both untwisted inside-outs.

Untwisted figure-8s don't work as well for me though. I suspect not enough scalp hair to hold it vertically or something. But orchid buns, which are similar, work well, especially if I hold it diagonally instead of making it dead-on vertical.

Anje
June 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I think I get breakage from twisting, and I definitely get funny kinks, so I've been avoiding tightly twisted styles for a while now. There are quite a few knotted buns that don't require twists (Karenlynn knot, double-look knot, celtic knot), and orchid buns are seriously comfortable and secure.

Not twisting for cinnamon buns doesn't work for me (hazard of having hair without curls, I suspect), but I can sometimes get them with just a little twist per wrap, just enough to get the hair to stay in a bundle. I can't comment on figure-8s, though. Vertical sticks tend to pull and don't stay well on me, either.

FrannyG
June 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I used to share your concern about twisting. Now I am much more gentle and deliberate when twisting my hair. Some people twirl it around really quickly and tightly. I see it in hairstyle videos sometimes

I think if you're just slow and gentle with the twisting and don't twist too tightly, it's not damaging.

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the links! One problem is with my hair being thick I can't do a lot of the buns you mentioned. Twisting helps compact it enough to make some of them work but I still need a bit more length to do a lot of them. GROW HAIR GROW!!!

Franny, that is a good point. I am going to be conscious more of how aggresive I am when I twist. I need to remember to take my rings off too :eek:

Shorty89
June 18th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I have to twist mine otherwise they fall out. I actually find that my hair tangles more if I don't twist - thus causing more breakage. But, that's just my hair. I think if you twist loosely there isn't a problem. Your hair is looking awesome by the way :flower:

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I have to twist mine otherwise they fall out. I actually find that my hair tangles more if I don't twist - thus causing more breakage. But, that's just my hair. I think if you twist loosely there isn't a problem. Your hair is looking awesome by the way :flower:

Thank you so much!!! :crush:

joyful373
June 19th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the reminder about this. I realized that I do tend to throw my hair up in a hurry, and I should be more gentle with the twisting. Good points, and thanks for the links too. I think I can't get away without twisting since my hair is so fine, but it might be worth a try :)

Curlsgirl
June 19th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I didn't twist this morning and it was very messy but stayed about 3 hours. I redid it and just twisted gently and it is staying much better and feels good too. I think that might be the answer, not being rough with it when you do twist and not twisting too tight.