PDA

View Full Version : Dry ends, but no splits

maborosi
May 15th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I did a trim today, because I haven't done one in probably close to two months. I didn't find any split ends, but my ends are quite dry, and tend to tangle up. Why is this, and what can I do about it? I'd really rather not have to hack off almost an inch of hair if I can avoid it, but my ends do look kind of limp compared to the rest of my hair- maybe I over-condition it? If anyone else has found a solution to this, I'd love to hear, because it's really annoying

~maborosi~

krissykins
May 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Is it possible that your ends need to be clarified? It could be some type of buildup. It's worth a shot :flower:

maborosi
May 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Is it possible that your ends need to be clarified? It could be some type of buildup. It's worth a shot :flower:

I've never used a clarifying shampoo before, and so I don't really know which one is good, or how/how often to use it, lol. My biggest worry is that it'll strip the color out of my hair, because someone once told me it would do that...is that true or were they wrong?

Thanks!

~maborosi~

gthlvrmx
May 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
You could do a strand test after it's wet and see if it's over moisturized or too much protein. Just take a shed hair and see, it might be build up. That's how it was with me, i had no splits and the ends were "dry". They felt hard. I clarified and conditioned and it solved everything :D

When you pull the strand, if it breaks without stretching, too much protein. If it stretches and stretches before going back and breaking, too much moisture. If it stretches and bounces back before breaking, it's fine.
Build up usually causes these types of ends, all "dry" and tangly even with all the stuff you use to try and help it.
If you use too much conditioner, it leads up to build up (moisture).

gthlvrmx
May 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I agree with her! She helped me with this same problem last time i asked!
I used Suave Clarifier, cheap and efficient.

Jean Stuart
May 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Do you dye your hair? If not then you have nothing to worry about. If yes I am sure there is a color safe way to clarify.

maborosi
May 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM
@gthlvrmx:

I actually tested this on a shed hair and it broke without much pulling on it. So I guess it's too much protein? How odd...what usually causes something like that?

@Jean Stuart:

Yes, I dye my hair.

~maborosi~

gthlvrmx
May 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
@gthlvrmx:

I actually tested this on a shed hair and it broke without much pulling on it. So I guess it's too much protein? How odd...what usually causes something like that?

@Jean Stuart:

Yes, I dye my hair.

~maborosi~

I suppose so. What ingredients are in your conditioner? Any with amino, silk, soy, hydrolyzed something is all protein. Have you been doing any treatments that have protein in it? I'm not really sure what it is, i'm just trying to see if maybe it's build-up.

maborosi
May 15th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I suppose so. What ingredients are in your conditioner? Any with amino, silk, soy, hydrolyzed something is all protein. Have you been doing any treatments that have protein in it? I'm not really sure what it is, i'm just trying to see if maybe it's build-up.

I use a lot of 'cone conditioners/shampoos, and most people say that they can cause buildup, which I definitely believe. I want to say that they definitely contain silk/amino acids, because I've seen those on the ingredient list.

~maborosi~

krissykins
May 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo is a cheap and efficient clarifier. Unfortunately, it probably will strip your hair of a little bit of color (not all of it). Another alternative is to use properly diluted baking soda wash. Some people use baking soda to lighten too-dark hair dye, but they use pretty strong solutions. Just make sure not to use too much baking soda and your color show be intact! :)

I agree with her! She helped me with this same problem last time i asked!
I used Suave Clarifier, cheap and efficient.

:cloud9: Aww yay!

racrane
May 15th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I had this same problem when I joined. I realized I needed to clarify first. My ends were still dry, without the buildup, though. Then I used a leave in and my hair turned out amazing. So clarify first would be my suggestion. Then you can go from there.

Honestwitness
May 15th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I found that I had buildup that was causing the same dry tangliness you describe. I used lemon juice after shampooing and before conditioning and it made my hair shiny and smooth again. Of course, lemon juice could lighten the color, which wouldn't bother me at all, because mine is silver anyway. For darker hair, vinegar would do the same thing.

I have moderately hard water and the calcium deposits build up on my shower curtain, my pots and pans, and my hair. This past winter, I used a large stainless steel pot to simmer water on the stove to put humidity in the air. The pot became horrible-looking with calcium buildup. My husband was about to throw it away. Then I got the idea to put a few dribbles of Realemon juice in the water as it was simmering. I came back a few hour later and had the biggest surprise of my life. The pot was smooth and shiny, just like new!

I realized I could do the same thing to my hair, so I did and am very happy with the results.

gthlvrmx
May 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo is a cheap and efficient clarifier. Unfortunately, it probably will strip your hair of a little bit of color (not all of it). Another alternative is to use properly diluted baking soda wash. Some people use baking soda to lighten too-dark hair dye, but they use pretty strong solutions. Just make sure not to use too much baking soda and your color show be intact! :)

:cloud9: Aww yay!
Yeah, i suggest the baking soda too. The shampoo will strip a little bit off.
It's the cone and too much of that protein! :p No worries, you'll be fine. Just try finding conditioners and shampoo's without them. I know Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner for sure has no cone and no protein stuff added in it. There is actually a huge list on the old LHC. I found it, i should have saved the link! If i find it, i'll post it up on my blog as a link and on here

jojo
May 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I agree with the others build up causes dry ends for me. Id never used a clarifying shampoo until joining here; id never heard of them.Tresemme deep clean shampoo is brilliant.

maborosi
May 15th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Yeah, i suggest the baking soda too. The shampoo will strip a little bit off.
It's the cone and too much of that protein! :p No worries, you'll be fine. Just try finding conditioners and shampoo's without them. I know Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner for sure has no cone and no protein stuff added in it. There is actually a huge list on the old LHC. I found it, i should have saved the link! If i find it, i'll post it up on my blog as a link and on here

I actually used the daily clarifying- and almost no color came out! I was happy!

As for cone-free, I have never really had luck with 'natural' shampoos without them. I used to use shampoo bars, and after my hair dried, even with a really good cone-free conditioner, my hair looked like it'd been torched with a blowdryer from hell. I figured after that, that my hair really prefered 'cones to no cones. I don't know how common that is, or if I've just used crappy cone-free products, but my hair is very manageable and soft when I use 'cone products versus when I try to use things like shampoo bars, etc.

I've never really had luck with Garnier's products, either...my hair did not like them, but that was a while ago. I suppose I could try again one of these days.

~maborosi~

gthlvrmx
May 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Someone decided to do it before actually
Cone free, some have protein free just need to check the ingredients
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2216

The suave naturals conditioners are cone and protein free, minus the coconut one. Ocean breeze and whild cherry bark are free of humectant as well

maborosi
May 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Someone decided to do it before actually
Cone free, some have protein free just need to check the ingredients
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2216

The suave naturals conditioners are cone and protein free, minus the coconut one. Ocean breeze and whild cherry bark are free of humectant as well

You know, I might actually consider trying the Suave ones again. I used them years and years ago and I remember I really liked them. I just can't remember why, or if my hair looked as nice/shiny/healthy as it does now. Plus, they're not as expensive as my current ones, lol.

~maborosi~

krissykins
May 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I actually used the daily clarifying- and almost no color came out! I was happy!

As for cone-free, I have never really had luck with 'natural' shampoos without them. I used to use shampoo bars, and after my hair dried, even with a really good cone-free conditioner, my hair looked like it'd been torched with a blowdryer from hell. I figured after that, that my hair really prefered 'cones to no cones. I don't know how common that is, or if I've just used crappy cone-free products, but my hair is very manageable and soft when I use 'cone products versus when I try to use things like shampoo bars, etc.

I've never really had luck with Garnier's products, either...my hair did not like them, but that was a while ago. I suppose I could try again one of these days.

~maborosi~

With cones, make sure you're clarifying quite frequently. Do you use a shampoo with SLS by chance? That may help with buildup.

gthlvrmx
May 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM
You know, I might actually consider trying the Suave ones again. I used them years and years ago and I remember I really liked them. I just can't remember why, or if my hair looked as nice/shiny/healthy as it does now. Plus, they're not as expensive as my current ones, lol.

~maborosi~
Worth a shot! :D Super cheap, something i'm really looking forwards to on experimenting with.
I've tried the coconut one and it sucked on my hair. It looked overly greasy, became tangly, and felt heavy.

maborosi
May 15th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Worth a shot! :D Super cheap, something i'm really looking forwards to on experimenting with.
I've tried the coconut one and it sucked on my hair. It looked overly greasy, became tangly, and felt heavy.

Yes! I was wondering if the strawberry-scented one was cone-free. I loved that one when I was younger, and it made my hair smell amazing (so did l'oreal kids lol. If I could find it in my store, I would totally go back to it just 'cause it made my hair smell wonderful!)

With cones, make sure you're clarifying quite frequently. Do you use a shampoo with SLS by chance? That may help with buildup.

Yes, my shampoo has SLS in it. I wonder if that's drying my ends out? And how often do most people who use 'cones clarify?

krissykins
May 15th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Yes, my shampoo has SLS in it. I wonder if that's drying my ends out? And how often do most people who use 'cones clarify?

SLS can be very drying for some folks. Do you shampoo your ends often? It could be that which is drying out the ends. Or your ends have been pretty damaged and aren't able to hold in moisture.

I'm not a cone user so I cannot answer that question for me. I'm a cone free COer and I normally shampoo with SLS about once a month just in case I've used too much protein.

And the strawberry Suave condish is cone free. It's the one that I use :crush:

gthlvrmx
May 15th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Yes! I was wondering if the strawberry-scented one was cone-free. I loved that one when I was younger, and it made my hair smell amazing (so did l'oreal kids lol. If I could find it in my store, I would totally go back to it just 'cause it made my hair smell wonderful!)

WATER (AQUA), CETYL ALCOHOL, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM), DISTEARLYDIMONIUM CHLORIDE, DISODIUM EDTA, 2-BROMO-2-NITROPROPANE-1,3-DIOL, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE (VITAMIN E ACETATE), PROPYLENE GLYCOL, METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, POLYSORBATE 20, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE, STRAWBERRY (FRAGARIA VESCA) JUICE, D&C RED 33, D&C ORANGE 4 (CL 15510).

I'm sure the methylchloroisothiazolinone is cone :p Check if it's the same kind i used this website

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/11713/Suave_Naturals_Conditioner,_Strawberry/

gthlvrmx
May 15th, 2011, 09:03 PM
SLS can be very drying for some folks. Do you shampoo your ends often? It could be that which is drying out the ends. Or your ends have been pretty damaged and aren't able to hold in moisture.

I'm not a cone user so I cannot answer that question for me. I'm a cone free COer and I normally shampoo with SLS about once a month just in case I've used too much protein.

Did i find the wrong conditioner? I had a feeling i did

maborosi
May 15th, 2011, 09:04 PM

I don't really shampoo my ends...I just kind of comb through my hair with my fingers while I shampoo the scalp. My hair actually used to be horribly damaged because, about 2 years ago, I often bleached it and heat styled it, so I wasn't very nice to it. I haven't heat styled in a long time, and my hair is not splitting, it's just dry at the bottom. Maybe it really is dried out by my shampooing?

Also yesss. The strawberry line smells awesome~~

~maborosi~

krissykins
May 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Did i find the wrong conditioner? I had a feeling i did

Lol. Those aren't cones; those are preservatives. Cones end with -cone or -xane, not -none :)

gthlvrmx
May 15th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Lol. Those aren't cones; those are preservatives. Cones end with -cone or -xane, not -none :)
Oh ok thank you! Jaja :)

krissykins
May 15th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I don't really shampoo my ends...I just kind of comb through my hair with my fingers while I shampoo the scalp. My hair actually used to be horribly damaged because, about 2 years ago, I often bleached it and heat styled it, so I wasn't very nice to it. I haven't heat styled in a long time, and my hair is not splitting, it's just dry at the bottom. Maybe it really is dried out by my shampooing?

Also yesss. The strawberry line smells awesome~~

~maborosi~

Heat damage can live long after you stop heat styling. The last time I flat ironed my hair was about two years ago and though most of the heat damage has been done away with, the last six inches have the hardest time staying moisturized. It is possible tbat the ends are drie from the shampooing, but I would bet that a bit part of it is heat damage.

maborosi
May 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Heat damage can live long after you stop heat styling. The last time I flat ironed my hair was about two years ago and though most of the heat damage has been done away with, the last six inches have the hardest time staying moisturized. It is possible tbat the ends are drie from the shampooing, but I would bet that a bit part of it is heat damage.

Well man, that's unfortunate. :<

Is there much I can do now to take care of the bottom parts of my hair that are probably still affected by the heat styling? Are there oils and such that I could use for my ends to help them stay a bit less dry and less tangly?

~maborosi~

krissykins
May 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I'd start off with reading this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79). It's full of some useful info!

Cones can help seal in moisture if you use a good moisturizing product, like a moisturizing coney conditioner. I'm sure you'll be able to find lots of coney product recommendations from others (I know a lot of people like L'Oreal Mega Moisture).

As for oils, that something you'll have to experiment with. I've found good luck with sunflower oil and olive oil (better than jojoba and coconut oil), but I have M/C hair, so I like heavier products. It's all about finding what your hair likes. This is always a good thread to refer to: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971

gogirlanime
May 15th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I'd say after you clarify do an acv rinse, that always helps my hair with build-up and it will make it softer too!