PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out a routine

TheBluffs
May 15th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Looking around the Mane Fourm, I noticed that many peopel had routines, that led to healthyier hair. I've tried most things on here: ( oils, ACV rinse, honey ect..) But I have never had a proper routine. So, I decided to start one! :D Could anyone post there routine (What they use, how often, for what). I'm willing to try anything. :D That would be a great help!
My hair: Around 36 inches. 1a/1b. M. ii.

skyblue
May 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I wash my hair once a week after an overnight caster oil soak
the next morning I'll wash, CWC with two different
no cone conditioners first C is VO5 sun kissed raspberry
second C is GF triple nutrition, then a ACV rinse
Once a month the shampoo is with suave clarifyng
the rest of the time it's just a dab on scalp of suave coconut
or sometimes I'll just not use a shampoo it depends on how greasy my head might be
oh and sometimes if my ends were dryish I'll finish with a little bit of olive oil
so far so good with this routine I do like to try other conditioners once in a while
just for a change up but mostly I stick with my routine ;)

growingpains
May 15th, 2011, 04:44 PM
My routine:

-Wash hair every three to four days ( cone free CO 2 of 3 times and 1/3 times CWC, also cone free). I rinse with ACV.
-I stay away from sulfates unless experiencing major buildup.
-I don't touch hair until dry except for to smooth a tiny bit of argan oil on ends
-when dry I widetooth comb then sometimes boar bristle if I want a different look.
-on day three I normally spritz the length with water and use a tiny bit of EVOO
-I wear hair down at least 75% of time, the other times I bun
-the last day before a wash I do any updo to disguise greasies and that I have oil in my hair. A sleep bun or french braid(s).
-If I want sleeker hair I mist with water and bun for a few hours to get bouncy waves.

The key to my routine is being cone free, adding lotsa moisture to hair via CO or CWC, oiling and avoiding touching while drying.

celebriangel
May 15th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I wash once a week. I mix castor oil and nightblooming's triple moon oil for a scalp oiling, cover and let sit for however long (I have not yet tried an overnight soak, mostly because I don't want to get oil on my pillow or DBF. I then do a CWC, first C with superdrug essentials peach conditioner, shampoo is the body shop rainforest radiance sulphate free, and my final C is superdrug's intensive coconut and sweet almond conditioner. I used to use coconut oil as a leave in on damp hair post wash, with topups on dry hair to keep the ends soft between washes, but I have switched to using nightblooming's panacea hair salve and the results are even better. I am cone and sulphate free, as my hair dislikes buildup and harsh cleansing

I am finding I need less and less shampoo these days - I started washing once a week due to illness and my hair has gradually stopped getting greasy between washes. Now I can hardly remember when wash day is because my hair is not greasy (i used to wash every day). Now I skip the poo sometimes. I always skip the poo if I'm doing an SMT as I find it very cleansing. I am doing lots of SMTs at the moment becausr I noticed I rinsed out a buttload of old red dye when I did one, and I'm hoping to remove as much as possible before I henna.

So yeah. Not hard. I almost always wear updos, especially out of the house, and braid for sleep.

Simples. I have one minute morning hair :D.

neesalena
May 15th, 2011, 05:32 PM
My routine is short since I'm still learning a lot and haven't decided what direction to go next.

I CWC every 4 - 6 days. I use Suave coconut shampoo and conditioner. Every so often I use Paul Mitchell clarifying, whenever my hair and scalp seem extra ick. I also havea Nexxus Therappe conditioner that I love and use when I feel like pampering, or if I know I'll be braiding. I air dry for a while then put it in a bun, which helps my wurls play nice.

I usually wear it up or half up, I'm still getting used to the idea of how it looks when it is all down. My hair is something else!

Good luck getting some good ideas!

Kibeth
May 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Mine is really simple.
I wash with shampoo bars every other to every two days. I use a white vinegar rinse. I wrap it up in a towel long enough that it's not dripping and then I let it air dry. I do not handle it at all until it's dry. (I used to comb it when it was wet and it broke all over the place.) Once it's dry, I comb it with a horn comb. I never brush it. Even boar bristle brushes don't treat my hair well.

I don't oil anymore because I have found it's almost impossible to wash out. I braid it every night and I wear it up 99% of the time.

torrilin
May 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
A routine is something that is going to vary a lot from person to person. (Just look at all the responses you've gotten so far!) The big factors are going to be hair type, skin type, your personal tolerance for fuss, and what products are available to you.

My skin is pretty dry. I tend to stretch washes. My usual routine right now is a scalp wash with a diluted clarifying shampoo, an apple cider vinegar rinse after because our water is very hard, and a bit of conditioner used as a leave in. I'm noticing that (as usual for me) my skin does better with products that have less fragrance added.

Dark Queen
May 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
What's the condition of your hair like now? Is it on the drier side? Oily? Do you ever get flakes? Are the ends dry? These things will tell you a lot.

Personally I wash every 3 or 4 days, sometimes more frequently, and occasionally do an ACV rinse if I notice any light flakes. I haven't had a problem with this at all since starting Monistat though. I apply a few hours or so before washing and massage into the scalp. When I wash, I do a CWC (with sulfate free shampoo), and while it's still damp, I oil from the neck down (as my hair may get dry from then on). That's about it :)

Jimothea
May 16th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Quick info: I have fairly oily skin, extremely hard water, serious-ish scalp issues, am always running "hot," and have half a head of hair that's wonderfully healthy and another half that's been bleached to high heaven...errrmm..lol...This is what I do to deal with all of that; still tweaking myself. Have fun finding what works!

CO-ACV-CO with a diluted cone-free conditioner (both the first and the last). I coat all my [wet] hair with the first CO and let it set, do my shower thing, pour some ACV mix on my scalp, scrub all over with the pads of my fingers, sometimes adding a little more conditioner so I can do a scalp massage without tangling up, then rinse with the rest of my ACV mix. Continue rinsing. Then condition as usual. Finish with cold water. Drip dry, completely untouched.

Wash about every 3 or 4 days, but when it's gross hot out I end up washing at least every other day, at least. Gently clarify about once a month with brown sugar, or a diluted sls-free shampoo if my scalp is really grimy or I've used cones/etc hair products recently. Do deep treatments about every two weeks. Heavy oilings with EVOO every two weeks, ears down, before bed. Braid. Wrap hair with silk. Shower in morning as usual. Sleep in a braid unless pincurling.

ACV Dilution: 3/4 inch of ACV in an almost full water bottle. Conditioner: Maybe a 1:1 ratio? I just go by feel.

Good luck. Hope you post when you get one figured out

CrystalStar
May 16th, 2011, 12:15 AM
My routine:

Wash every two days with CO. Conditioner used is Asda brand, or inecto pure coconut.
Lightly oil after with coconut oil.
Apply Daktarin/Monistat to roots and do a coconut oil soak on length the nigth before wash.
Weekly SMT.

Ishje
May 16th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I wash my hair once a week, usually in the weekend so I can take my time.
before washing I add oil for a night, coconut oil, jojoba oil or amla oil.
I have 5 different shampoos and 2 different conditioners, I use a different one every time.
the shampoo's/ conditioners with cones I use every other washing.
when washing and conditioner is done I rinse with cold water.
once a month I clarify.

when I am done I let my hair airdry, sometimes I use some nightblooming pancea, and sometimes I use some coconut oil in the ends.

Loreley
May 16th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I wash my hair every 2 or 3 days. I use a very mild, sulfate-free shampoo and usually no conditioner. If I'm using conditioner, I use GF Triple Nutrition. I oil my hair when it's wet. Coconut oil is my favourite.