PDA

View Full Version : What inspired you to grow your hair long?

LadieRyrie
May 15th, 2011, 01:57 PM
For me, it was a picture. Last year, I was considering either hacking my hair into something short and choppy or growing my hair to my knees. Either extreme was good--anything in between was boring. XP

While googling pictures of hair, I found a fantasy picture on DeviantArt of a girl in a medieval dress with her head buried in the neck of a unicorn. Her hair rippled down past her knees, and it was OH SO GORGEOUS! Although it was a somewhat cartooney picture, I was converted.

Long hair for the win. I haven’t been able to find that picture again. I wanted to see it one...last...time. *sob*

Also, Tangled contributed. I saw Rapunzel’s hair and I was like “Pretty! I want 70 feet of hair too!” But she was sorta a double-edged sword. SPOILER--> At the end when Flynn has cut her hair, she looks really cute and less inhibited with her piecey brown bob. (My friend wanted short hair. I told her to get it done with a jagged piece of mirror.)

So what was your inspiration?

Annibelle
May 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM
My DH is my inspiration! He's had hip-length for as long as I've known him, and he has me cut his hair monthly-- two inches each time! My hair grows very slowly and isn't nearly as pretty as his, but I really want some of that length for myself!

Oh, he also rips combs through his hair and doesn't do any special oil treatments or anything... and his hair is perfect. UGH!

KayBee
May 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Prior to deciding to grow my hair long I kept it about shoulder length. I had TBL hair up until I was about 14 and cut it short..then grew it out and kept it shoulder length for about 12 years.

It was coming up to my 30th birthday and was looking forward to my party so I thought I'd get my hair trimmed. I went to a salon that I had been to before and was happy with. It was a walk-in place, but a different hairdresser was on that day.

I asked her to cut just a little bit off the ends---and instead she hacked it in layers up to my jawbones. I felt like crying, I probably did when I got home. I never went to a salon again or had a haircut after that. I had a friend trim the ends a little 3 years ago just before my wedding and that was it. So I began my journey about 7 years ago and I'm going to keep on growin'. I realized that I took my long hair for granted as a kid and wanted to see if I could grow it really long again. I think my hair is probably at the length it was when I was a kid but I'm not stopping there. I want my hair to touch the floor, lol.

racrane
May 15th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I think there always is tons of inspiration wherever I look, but the one that reached me the most is Sarah Brightman. I love her hair, even though now she uses wigs and extensions. Anyway, I still want hair like hers.

long&blonde
May 15th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I think my first inspiration when young, was wanting to look like Julie(Peggy Lipton), on the old Mod Squad TV series. More recently, in my 30s I recall seeing a lady in her 50s with beautiful golden brown/strawberry blonde classic length hair. Glasses, stretch pants, she entered the hair salon I tanned at: a Goddess. I was stunned:she was there for a major Cut! Sensing how much she'd gone thru to arrive at the "Cut" Decision: I kept my Stunned mouth shut. (Probably a good thing too;I was tanning at that Hair Salon twice a week!) She entered the salon a Goddess: she left the salon a middle age lady in glasses, with an above the shoulders page boy. The memory is Burnt Into my mind to this day.

boudica
May 15th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Was thinking about this just the other day. LHC has given me so much, and the beginning really was when I got here and found out that so many things I'd been told had been outright lies!

Suddenly I was able to give myself permission to grow my hair longer. I'd always wanted long hair, but I'd been told that:

a) fairy-tale ends were damage,
b) the wispies that create a halo around my head were damage (and not new growth). I have fine hair that's got some curl, they're not splits like I'd been told they were,
c) cutting makes it grow faster,
d) that my hair was 'bad'! really? ...really!

etc. etc. etc. . .

So many people seemed to want to be involved in my hair, or my hair decisions! There have always been power politics around any kind of identity marker, and hair, because it's such a strong piece of identity, is no exception. Perhaps it's because it broadcasts the choices we make so clearly.

Whatever the reason, when I came to LHC and started reading...and learning, I felt suddenly free to grow my hair to the length I'd always wanted to have.

My hair being long was from my earliest concepts of identity. I think I was maybe two or three. I've wanted long hair ever since, and there's always ALWAYS been tension between the world around me and that state.

It's very fine. My ponytail isn't very big in diameter. I'll never have what some people have here. But I have a relationship with it that's very different than what it was six months ago when I was considering harsh toxic chemical straighteners that would have destroyed my hair.

My relationship with my hair is what I'd call healthy now. Perhaps I have a few too many hair toys. I'm learning more and more every day. I'm beyond grateful to this community for showing me the truth and what is possible.

Thank you!

growingpains
May 15th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Well, my obsession with hair started when I was 13 (now 27). I was out of town at a gymnastics meet sans parents and decided I wanted my friend to cut my then SL/APL hair to a pixie. It was HORRIBLE. Many tears, feeling ugly for ages and torturous growing out. Short hair did not suit me.

I remember just wanting it to be pony tail length again. Once I got back there I vacillated between SL+ and BSL for years, but was almost always closer to BSL. I didn't care much about my hair length then, was happy with BSL. Then in my early twenties I became obsessed with dying my hair all the time. This eventually fried my hair and forced me to cut back to an unhealthy SL. Since then I've pretty much consistently been fixated on longer hair, with the exception of one chop back to SL about two years ago to try and "rid" myself of the obsession.

I just feel better with longer hair. I feel sexier and I find it lower maintenance than medium hair which requires more styling to look good.

To me "long" used to be BSL or a little more. But now from being here I have grown to appreciate even longer lengths and want a minimum of at least WL. Hopefully hip. I want to be different.

Zesty
May 15th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I got to where I am (past BSL) from a VERY short boyish cut that I had around 3-4 years ago. I started dating my boyfriend soon after that, and he liked long hair, and I thought I'd grow it out and see how long it would get. At first it was a struggle and I wanted to cut it all the time, but knowing that he would be disappointed kept me from doing it... and now I'm doing it for me.

Finding LHC inspired me further... so much beautiful hair on here. And then there's wanting to prove people wrong. For example, earlier my mom commented that it's getting quite long and probably won't grow any longer, because hers never grew very long. Haha. We'll see.

Madora
May 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Judy Garland's beautiful braids in The Wizard of Oz! I thought there were grand. My hair wasn't as long as her wig was, but I managed to get 2 bumps braided..and got kidded at grade school for wanting to look like her. I didn't care. At least I had the thickess of her braids..and then some!

patienceneeded
May 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I read a lot of historical fiction (and historical non-fiction too) and I've always been obsessed with the long hair that the women wore throughout history. The idea that a womans hair was her crowning glory. Whether covered, worn up, or let loose, it didn't matter to me.

I've always wanted hair like that and now at age 33 I finally figured out that it wouldn't just "happen." I would need to stop trying to see if I liked short hair (I never do, but for some reason keep going in to get it cut short) as well as stop dying it. The dye was always the reason for the shorter hair.

So, on the journey now to LONG pretty hair!

neesalena
May 15th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I was inspired by the idea that I could learn how to take care of it. I always loved it long but it was a mess and I had no idea what to do with it. I was a sad icky mess.

So I kept cutting it off.

My last big chop was 2007, I had a Halle Berry thing going. Since then, I've learned that my hair doesn't need much from out of the 'ethnic section.' My dad always wanted me to use 'Blue Magic.' I recently wandered over and checked its ingredients - yeesh it's just petroleum and other muck oils! My hair also doesn't need to be ironed. It's pretty but not necessary.

Finding hair twins here helps me remember that I am not alone. I love all the support I get! It keeps me feeling up when normally I'd feel down.

I hope to make it to BSL or somewhere thereabouts. I have no idea what the limit is. The length I have now is about the longest I've had it ever in my adult life, SL.

I am inspired by seeing other people with wurly curly hair that is long and beautiful

Ermine
May 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Mainly curiosity. The longest my hair has ever been is BSL (if not shorter), and at the time I had hair that long, I was a bit of a tomboy and didn't give my hair the care it deserved. So it was a frizzy tangled broken mess. Since that time, my hair kept getting shorter and shorter since until I had a 3" pixie. I like my current hair (4" and a bit grown out since I joined here a month ago) but I want to know what my hair looks like when it's cared for. It could potentially be a beautiful soft golden rippled sheet of silk, so it's worth a shot. And I don't have to spend so much money on haircuts and products. Or at least not haircuts.

Another thing is that my previous roommates found some of my old facebook pictures when I had APL hair. They thought it was really pretty. :) This is a minor influence in my decision, but I may as well. :)

gthlvrmx
May 15th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I first originally wanted to grow it out long ( i now remember) in 4th grade, and had an urge to grow to floor but my parents said absolutely not so i settled on shoulders with them. It was sort of in rebellion, but also an act of trying to connect back to the native american roots i have. I even said i wanted to look like cousin It from the Adams Family. Why i didn't go through with it i regret now, but it was hard trying to go against what everyone said, being around so much family and friends who all said it was bad and ugly. Though they're jealous now :p
I forgot about that idea until recently and i just wanted to grow my hair out longer, i was so bored of shoulders. I realized i shouldn't listen to my insecurities and go with what i truly feel and want. I saw Pocahontas again and her long hair inspired me again and decided i was through thinking of comforting others fears of seeing a man go against the cultural norms. I made a mistake and got braids in, took them out, was horrified and my nightmare came true (giant handfuls of hair fell out, not shed hair anymore) and i was completely against ever mistreating my hair and to permanently growing my hair down to as far as it could go(hopefully floor!). I'm much happier doing what i originally really wanted.
So it's a bit of both, from the very first time i wanted to, and now when i felt that urge again but decided to "try something new" with that being braids. Oi. Good thing i didn't do dreads!

jojo
May 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I don't know really, ive always had around bsl hair; shoulder at shortest apart from when the demon hair dresser cut it to like cropped bob! I remember as a little girlwearing skirts on my hair line an pretending it was long hair and thinking one day I am going to have hair long enough to sit on! I was 6 at the time; now aged 42 I am still working to that goal!

kielrain
May 15th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I used to have hair that went to about classic length. For many years now I have kept it cut short, pixies, buzzcuts, really short. It's been fun, but now I want to see if I can grow my hair back out to a nice length again.

allmixedup88
May 15th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Everyone mentioning how long my hair use to be....
I had completely forgotten I use to have the most beautiful long hair

KayBee
May 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM
It's really funny now because old high school friends have connected with me on facebook..I was known for my crazy spiked hairdos and dyed it different colors. Now when they see what I look like now they're like "wow, I never pictured you with long hair" but I actually had long hair during my freshman year but I guess nobody remembered that about me because my weird punk rocker hairdos were far more memorable. That phase only lasted 2 years, by the time I was 16 I started growing it back out.

Here's one of me when I was 13 (going on 14). I had another picture I wanted to post but I can't find it..one where I'm not wearing goofy sunglasses and have a better braid, but oh well.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/KittyBass/scan0004.jpg

My crazy days, lulz!!!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/KittyBass/lame.jpg

The one is from a few months before the Hair Massacre of 2004.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/KittyBass/FinvolaCat042404.jpg

This one is from the hair massacre of 2004, or a couple of months after when it was starting to grow out, lol. THIS was the haircut that inspired me to grow my hair to the length in the first photo.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/KittyBass/scan0003.jpg

Geez my hair is nowhere near as healthy as that, haha. I need to get a new photo from the back, this one is almost a year old so my hair is a bit longer than this. Yup, dye growing out and fairy tailed, or whatever you call it :D
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t190/KittyBass/hair.jpg

zirena
May 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I've never in my life had hair past BSL, the longest it has ever been was when i was 12 and it sat on BSL until I hacked it all off! Long hair is just so beautiful to me and i've always envied girls with long, healthy hair.
Short hair suits me but every time i've cut my hair in the past I always regretted it and wanted to grow it out. My hair is currently the longest it has been in about 6 years! I've still got a while to go before I get waist length virgin hair, though :(

dazeydayze
May 15th, 2011, 10:16 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/5060484257_9519d2fb1c.jpg

My friend Jennifer's hair. She modeled for me one day, and while I was editing her pictures, I fell in love with her hair. Even though it's probably not as healthy as it could be.. My god you guys if you could see her hair on a day-to-day basis, you'd all be as green as I am. The texture.. the length.. the thickness.. the color.. Wow! She still remains my inspiration. :)

you can see more photos from this shoot here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46539222@N06/sets/72157625116803178/with/5060484257/

washurei
May 15th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I think I finally decided to grow my hair out about 2 years after my parents stopped trying to control what I did with my hair. I also read a lot of books, and reenact history. not to mention when I belly dance I always have more fun when my hair is down flowing around me.

nazzooyzo
May 16th, 2011, 02:57 AM
i got bored with my pixie and want to see what i look like with long hair as its been ages since its been past apl (like 9 or 10 years now)

Qadupae
May 16th, 2011, 03:19 AM
My first inspiration was as a child, I always wanted hair like Crystal Gale's. My family used to tease me about it all the time. Over time, I gave up that dream and went anywhere from BSL to shoulder for many years. About 5 years ago, I chopped my hair super short due to trauma, but once I got over the trauma I realized that my hair had nothing to do with what had happened and decided I should try for long hair again. I think the "aha" moment was between finding this site and also seeing a lot of long hair anime women at the time. I just thought "Ok, let's do this! (Leeeerooy Jeeeenkiiiins! Couldn't resist ^_^ ) DH thought I was just being silly for trying to grow it out because he had seen the fuss I make with short hair alone, but now after getting my hair to almost APL, he wants to join me ^_^

Dina L.
May 16th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Once a saw a picture of a woman in a meditation pose. She was wearing bikini and had her hair down to her breasts. I know it isn't long for LHC members, but it was long for me (being at APL most of the times in the last 6 years). So I decided to go till that length. Now, of course, I want waist or hip. :)
So actually it was a very feminine woman who inspired/touched me, even though I've seen long hair before.

CrystalStar
May 16th, 2011, 03:29 AM
My original inspiration was that I was bullied so badly at lower/middle school for having short hair. I got the idea in my head that I wouldn't be bullied if I had longer hair.. :rolleyes: So I grew my hair out, and while looking it up saw some amazing pictures of long hair. My best friends mum also had long strawberry blonde hair down to her tailbone. I admired people with really long hair so I wanted to give it a shot too!

longhairdntcare
May 16th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I grew up around a bunch of old hippies, even a lot of the men had braids down their back. I think long hair has always had a place in my heart because of that. I also saw a picture of my mom when she was my age (in the 70s) being a total goddess on the beach with light blonde hair down to her waist. That inspired me to let it grow even though mine probably won't look as great as hers!

tolly
May 16th, 2011, 04:16 AM
those beautiful pictures of floor length hair in princesses from fairy tales in nursery school had me, and I haven't gotten over it! lol I have never had long hair though, so with all this information I hope to see results, trying to be patient for the years I know it will take.

Ciridae
May 16th, 2011, 04:23 AM
This site, actually. I stumbled across it looking for ways to improve my health while trying to grow it - with no actual goal length in mind. Browsing this site and realising that I am not too old to have very long hair made me start my journey. Hopefully a few years from now I will also be able to show off long lustrous tresses like you lovely ladies. :)

Mesmerise
May 16th, 2011, 04:41 AM
I think for me I've always liked long hair, but have never had the patience to grow long, healthy hair myself. Yes, I've had "longish" hair... I mean, quite often I've had it BSL or so, but I haven't hit waist in a looong time (and the last time I did... it was damaged and fried and I had to cut it off soon after), and I think maybe...errm I may have had waist when I was 7 or so, but I'm not really sure.

Anyway, for me the epitome of long hair was always waist...until I came to LHC :p now I want hip at least!

This time, instead of getting frustrated with my hair and cutting it off, I'm persisting with it and gradually growing it out and well, eventually getting rid of all the chemical/heat damage.

Lildove
May 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM
My inspiration came from a pixie haircut that I had when I was six-years-old. I absolutely hated it but my mom loved it and thought it was the cutest haircut EVER. I begged and pleaded with her to let me grow it out and after many tears she said yes. I grew it out to about waist length and loved it until I reached 12 and then I cut it off to shoulder length because some girl in school kept teasing me about it. After that I grew it out again to about BSL and loved it until another person suggested that I cut it because "it was time for a change".

At almost 30 years of age I am confident that I will finally be able to achieve and keep my long hair. I'm not going to let anyone influence my decision with well meaning criticism or judgmental comments. It's my opinion about my hair that really matters anyway. :D

irishlady
May 16th, 2011, 07:51 AM
History and Myth, and because it's a glory for a woman to have her hair long according to the Bible :)

Long hair gives me that connection to the women (and men who had long hair!) of my past, and also in myth and legend. I am proud of the Irish and Celtic legends of my country :)

I just think it suits my personality as well, I love nature, and have a mysterious and romantic personality, I tend to be shy too, but I am not a doormat for people to walk all over either!

Of course pictures and films helped too, especially The Lord of the Rings!

NotInPortland
May 16th, 2011, 08:20 AM
History and Myth, and because it's a glory for a woman to have her hair long according to the Bible :)

Long hair gives me that connection to the women (and men who had long hair!) of my past, and also in myth and legend. I am proud of the Irish and Celtic legends of my country :)

I just think it suits my personality as well, I love nature, and have a mysterious and romantic personality, I tend to be shy too, but I am not a doormat for people to walk all over either!

Of course pictures and films helped too, especially The Lord of the Rings!

Another Irish person on the boards, hello!:)

I'm not sure what inspired me specifically, I think I've always just loved the look of long hair on women(and men :eyebrows: hehe). I think part of it is just because so few people have long hair around here it makes me want to grow mine out :) And stuff like lord of the rings with their gorgeous long hair makes me want it even more so I can run around and pretend I'm an elf or something haha :p

hs_atreides
May 16th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I have been a grower/cutter. MOstly I get to shoulder length then cut into a pixie cut of sorts, which I do wear well. SO the current goal of growing to BSL is because my DH would like my hair longer. I realize that BSL is still pretty short compared to the impressive lengths seen here, but I need mini-goals to feel like I am getting somewhere, lol.

Gwen
May 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM
My inspiration to grow my hair long was when I cut it in February into a 'long bob'. I saw the cut on Gwynth Paltrow and loved it. Unfortunetly, I hated the look on me. So that's when I decided to grow. Coincidently, around the same time I saw some photo's of myself from this past summer and my hair was at BSL and I loved the length (back then I never paid attention to the length and never really thought to grow it long). I decided that right then and there that I wanted my long hair back. I don't suit short hair at all!

Gwen

hs_atreides
May 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
My inspiration to grow my hair long was when I cut it in February into a 'long bob'. I saw the cut on Gwynth Paltrow and loved it. Unfortunetly, I hated the look on me. So that's when I decided to grow. Coincidently, around the same time I saw some photo's of myself from this past summer and my hair was at BSL and I loved the length (back then I never paid attention to the length and never really thought to grow it long). I decided that right then and there that I wanted my long hair back. I don't suit short hair at all!

Gwen

THe "long bob" only led me to shorter styles. SOmething about middle lengths drive me a little crazy, lol.

NouvelleNymphe2
May 16th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I have never really had long hair, and it's about time. I think I've changed/grown a lot in the past several years and being healthy and as natural as possible are both part of who I am now. I think well cared for long hair is just beautiful, and quite rare.

cowgirllong
May 16th, 2011, 09:53 AM
My first inspiration was a girl I was in school with who had waist length hair in junior high. But the real and true inspiration was Alanis Morrissette. At one time, she had very long hair. She was on the front of Rolling Stone Magazine sitting on the floor and her hair reached the floor. I was saddened when she cut it off. Her long hair was SO beautiful.

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM
A picture of myself when I had longer hair when I was younger. Tho I have surpassed that now (it was waist lenbth), I am not sure what inspires me now...perhaps the uncharted territory and curiosity about if I can have longer healthy hair and at what point I think my hair is too long.

ScherzoDeLEON
May 16th, 2011, 11:34 AM
For me it was partly looking back on my classic hair when I was about 6-7, before I chopped it into a bob and partly my mother (who has waist length hair). :D

KatiSasha
May 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I've always wanted long hair, but I thought that it would be impossible for me b/c my hair had a short terminal lenght. Little did I know!

I came to this site by following a link on henna recipe and got hooked! Now not only do I want my hair to be long, but I also know that it is possible! Thank you LHC and LHCers!!

squiggyflop
May 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM
what mainly inspired me was how i got farrah hair when it was short.. i hated it.. i would have had such easy haircare had i lived in the 70's.. it just airdries into prefect flippy farrah hair when its short

hsdoodles
May 16th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I have always loved the look of a perfect sleek bun, for starters. I always wanted to get my hair to look like that.

I started watching mini series with my sister - Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, North and South - and I fell in LOVE with their hair and how long and pretty it was. That made me want to grow it out, but it wasn't until I found this place that I knew how long I wanted to go. :)

Simonsmama
May 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM
you know....I don't really know what inspired me to grow my hair long. I've always wanted long hair but my hair is so THICK and tangly that when it hits at the top of my bra strap, I can't take it anymore and I chop it.

That said, I plan to tough it out this time. I really want to have long beautiful healthy hair.

celebriangel
May 16th, 2011, 06:04 PM
My happiness with my hair has always been directly proportional to its length. However, I was told - and believed for a long time - that it wasn't possibly to grow your hair to your waist and have it all be healthy. So I'd sigh, and submit to my mum dragging me to the hairdresser.

Then I got a pixie for *complicated*, mostly un-hair-related reasons. It did its job, and I liked it.

But now I want to be long again. And, knowing that my hair will likely grow to TB at least, I am extremely excited. My hair, currently at BSL, feels horrendously short to me (I kept it about 2 inches above waist for years. I'm about 3 inches above that now, and it feels horrendously short. I can't wait for waist.

Jean Stuart
May 16th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I have always been fascinated with long hair. As a child my mother kept it short, like a boy. I loved Crystal Gayle. I kept it long as I became an adult. I did not get inspired to grow it right until I found LHC.

Joribear
May 16th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I had long hair up until I was 12 when my mom had it all chopped off. I cried myself to sleep that night - it was very traumatizing to me!

I did a couple layered hair cuts until I was 20, then started growing my hair out again. It hit waist length when I was 26 and had to get a job as a waitress to support myself and my kids. At the time, I didn't know how to braid or bun my hair, it was always just pony tail or out. My pony tail, however, was still too long to be waitressing. I worked one night as a waitress, then went and chopped my hair off to chin level. Even though it was my decision, it was still traumatizing!

I was doing good on growing my hair out again after that, until I got depressed and had my hairdresser chop it from about mid-back (past BSL) to APL - with the dreaded layers!

My inspiration for growing my hair out? This (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/66/b86ZH0J7xtE) video is what sinked it in for me to grow my hair out. I came to LHC after following google for a link about some hair toy, and clicked a link for a Nautilus Bun.... Enter Torrin and her beautiful hair. I was done for! :)

alyanna
May 16th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I've worn my hair somewhere between APL and just short of BSL, but I've always had layers, so never really felt like my hair was that look. I never looked at the back very much, just my face :o

After I had my two girls, I felt frumpy for some reason and got a chin length blondish bob. It was fun for a while, but now that my girls are a bit older and I feel like myself again, I want to go back to un-short. Except this time I want to try going much longer!

FarmGirl
May 16th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Apparently I was born with around 2 inches of hair already, so I guess you could say I've always had long hair :)
haha.

azhie
May 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Long hair is pretty. :)

I never thought I'd be able to grow nice long hair because it's thin, flat, and sheds a lot. But after leaving it alone for awhile it grew to waist length which made me happy. I wanted to take care of hair better and LHC helps inspire me to do this and continue on growing my hair.

theodora
May 17th, 2011, 08:37 AM
When I was a teenager, from literally the age of 12 (when I cut my gorgeous long flaxen locks into... a crew cut) to the age of 19, I thought that long hair was for girly girls and it didn't suit my personality. I wanted to look bad-ass, I sung in a hardcore band, and I really did not identify with long hair at all.
Then I had a really rough time when I was 19 and I sort of forgot about my hair. I had been feeling fat and depressed, my grandmother had died, I was fighting with my parents, had no friends at school etc
I changed school, focussed on my application to do a graduate degree at Oxford, and before you knew it bam my hair was long and pretty and I was thin again.
It was a complete revelation when I realised that having long blond hair and wearing pretty dresses didn't mean that I was a sell-out and a bad feminist.

Now I made the really stupid decision to cut my hair into a bob last year and dye it darker for a job interview so that I would look more professional.
Silly me. Now it's shoulder length and damaged from bleaching back to blond.

And of course watching movies like the other boleyn girl and tv shows like game of thrones is making me super jealous of the female characters' beautiful flowing locks...

<3OnHerSleeve
August 19th, 2011, 09:39 PM
My hair was shaved off when I was 12 so I wanted to grow it back. My hair at it's longest was Waist. Then I started getting inspired to do naughty terrible things to my hair which inhibited its growth. What inspired me to want very long hair was when I watched Aquamarine 5 years ago. Today I watched it and realised this was my ultimate inspiration: her waist-hip length hair always got to me :P Because of all the terrible things I've done to my hair, I've had to cut it short and start all over again but since I've done that my hair has been growing faster than it ever has before in my life :)

BlazingHeart
August 19th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Curiousity.

I've gone through grow-cut cycles since I was 12, and I decided I wanted to know just how far my hair would grow if I didn't cut it. The longest it has been is hip, and I cut it because I started suddenly having a lot more trouble with tangles at that length. I joined LHC because I needed to learn how to put up and deal with longer hair before I got there so I wouldn't whack it off again! So now I'm growing it out and waiting to see where terminal is on me. I'm enough of a clutz that I don't think it would be wise to let it go much past knee, so I may end up stopping there if terminal is beyond there. (my relatively low taper suggests that terminal would be very long on me)

~Blaze

Rusticular
August 19th, 2011, 11:13 PM
As a metalhead, drooling over long-haired metal men, I always figured I needed hair longer. They may have gorgeous long locks, but mine had to be better! There's just something about a head of long luscious hair that always got to me. Growing up watching Disney movies probably didn't help. xD

By the time I had hip-length hair, my father'd put in place two rules: No tattoos(purely because he knew I was going to get them anyway, and figured he may as well put it out there), and never cutting my hair. "You never really see hair like that any more." Now I've never been one to seek 'approval', but I've taken that as fuel to grow my hair healthier back to where it was. It's nice to know someone so close is just as adamant about the awesome that is 'ridiculously' long hair.

Impulsive
August 20th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I've been wanting to grow my hair long ever since I heard that length will pull curly hair down and it will stop going 'out'. After hanging around here my resolve was strengthened when I saw how beautiful long curly hair could be. It was further strengthened when I realized I would need more length to perform many of the up-dos I've been admiring.

Curly Hermione
August 20th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Well, my hair has never even been shoulder length (runs away sobbing). A combination of curls, frequent cuts and my mum mercilessly attacking it with a brush every morning. I just thought long hair was gorgeous. my mum keeps telling me that some peoples hair will just never grow long, and i am one of those people, (her hair is barely chin length). It's gotten to the point where my routine is pretty much perfect, so i look in the mirror and think "if my hair was like this, but to my waist, it would be perfect" Anyway, the more my mum tells me my hair will never grow, the more determined i am to prove her wrong. She thinks all my hair care stuff is nonsense, she should wait until i come home from uni one summer (i'm hopefull, but realistic, it''ll take a few years!) with hair to my waist, then we'll see who was wrong! (begin evil laugh)Mwahahahaha, hahaha haaaaaaaa! (end evil laugh)

Melon Collie
August 20th, 2011, 07:32 AM
The Lady of Shalot by John William Waterhouse has been my inspiration.

The Lady of Shalot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_of_Shalott_&#37;28painting%29)

l0nd0nbr1dg3
August 20th, 2011, 09:56 AM
A picture of the guy I likes ex, she had long waist length hair and looked so beautiful. I was like I wish I had hair like that

BeckyAH
August 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Honestly? The fact that the shorter my hair is, the harder it is to deal with. My hair needs some weight and length to be 'easy'. I will never go past waist (been there, major pain in my rear) or shorter than collarbone. The length between, my hair is easy as heck to handle. Shorter or longer and it requires work. The only *Work* I'm interested in doing to my hair involves bright colors that make me happy. Everything else just irritates me.

neko_kawaii
August 20th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Laziness. Frugality.
My hair-life has been one of inspiration for short hair followed by not maintaining short hair due to the above. The last time I cut it short I realized that it was not as convenient short as long (harder to keep out of the face, off the neck, more style potential when long) and I was much more content once it could be put in a braid and forgotten. Finally I noticed it again at waist length and wondered, just how long will my hair get? Well, I suppose I should start taking care of it and I ended up here.

Lollipop
August 20th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Well, there are all sorts of awesome possibilities with long hair, and we have many threads with movies and inspirational pictures. While these are encouraging, on the most basic and lazy level, having long hair is a way for me to opt out of short hair. I mean, short hair is such a pain, and far more difficult to deal with. So while I look forward to all of the awesome hairstyles, if I ever stop caring about hair I would still keep it long because it is simply easier. Long hair is a way to transcend some of the aesthetic pressures that surround me in the media and not care about how everyone else thinks I'm supposed to look.

AngelDella
August 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM
1 Corinthians 11:15 inspired me to grow my hair long. :)

I've always had fairly long hair, but I cut it to shoulder length last year and just didn't feel like myself :( It was cute, one of those flippy bobs more fitting for a 50 year old woman, and everyone said they liked it, but I just didn't. I made the decision then that while "long" is a relative term, if I grew my hair as long as it will grow, I would definitely fit the description in 1 Cor 11:15 and I cannot wait to see what my terminal length actually is. This board is a big encouragement...thanks to everyone who contributes!

Slinks
August 20th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Judy Garland's beautiful braids in The Wizard of Oz! I thought there were grand. My hair wasn't as long as her wig was, but I managed to get 2 bumps braided..and got kidded at grade school for wanting to look like her. I didn't care. At least I had the thickess of her braids..and then some!
:lol: !!! did you want some red "click the heels" shoes too :-) :eyebrows:

Slinks
August 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM
what mainly inspired me was how i got farrah hair when it was short.. i hated it.. i would have had such easy haircare had i lived in the 70's.. it just airdries into prefect flippy farrah hair when its short

My hair did that too but I did it purposely .. Farrah was my idol :-) I was deeply saddened when I heard she was dying and in memory of her death I bought the 1st season of Charlies Angels, I go down memory lane often ..

Slinks
August 20th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Well, my hair has never even been shoulder length (runs away sobbing). A combination of curls, frequent cuts and my mum mercilessly attacking it with a brush every morning. I just thought long hair was gorgeous. my mum keeps telling me that some peoples hair will just never grow long, and i am one of those people, (her hair is barely chin length). It's gotten to the point where my routine is pretty much perfect, so i look in the mirror and think "if my hair was like this, but to my waist, it would be perfect" Anyway, the more my mum tells me my hair will never grow, the more determined i am to prove her wrong. She thinks all my hair care stuff is nonsense, she should wait until i come home from uni one summer (i'm hopefull, but realistic, it''ll take a few years!) with hair to my waist, then we'll see who was wrong! (begin evil laugh)Mwahahahaha, hahaha haaaaaaaa! (end evil laugh)

:D I wish you all the luck !!

Curly Hermione
August 21st, 2011, 04:36 AM
Thank you Slinks!