PDA

View Full Version : Real long hair on Broadway

DrkAngel
June 18th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I was catching up on this year's Tony performances and guess what caught my eye.... In the Heights, the great winner of the year features a woman with gorgeous tailbone length hair among its cast. I think it's great that she comes up on the stage each night and performs *with her hair down*, but I wonder how she maintains it in such good condition, considering there's a huge choreography factor going on in this show.

Anyway, thought you'd like to see the hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyobtoYARQM

Liluri
June 18th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Oh pretty hair :) Thanks for pointing to that.

peacecat3
June 18th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if she performs in a wig every day that is identical to her own hair, if only to protect her own hair and so that there's continuity from night to night and no one has to worry about doing her hair (except the wigmaster, of course.)

Phalaenopsis
June 18th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Wouldn't that be a bit far-fetched?
I don't think she'd use a wig. And sometimes, people just have strong hair and can do a lot with it :)

DrkAngel
June 18th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I'm positive she does NOT use any wigs. Her hair is probably very strong and she takes good care of it, that's all. But my point was that I liked seeing healthy long hair on a Broadway show, which a lot of people will get to see. I don't care about it being trendy or not at some point or another but I do like the idea of people getting used to it, if you know what I mean. You don't usually see hair that long on TV or mainstream entertainment for the matter.

Magdalene
June 18th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I use my own hair whenever possible, though it's difficult to get it to look exactly the same every night. I've started investing in a few curly pieces that match my own hair so I don't have to fry it with rollers. Costume designers always get great "ideas" that are usually not hair friendly.

DrkAngel
June 18th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I use my own hair whenever possible, though it's difficult to get it to look exactly the same every night. I've started investing in a few curly pieces that match my own hair so I don't have to fry it with rollers. Costume designers always get great "ideas" that are usually not hair friendly.

Your comment confused me, then I read it twice. Are you in theater? Like, professionally? That's soooo cool. If you dont mind my asking, do you often get told to put your hair up or hide the length in any way? I'm so curious now.

Magdalene
June 18th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Your comment confused me, then I read it twice. Are you in theater? Like, professionally? That's soooo cool. If you dont mind my asking, do you often get told to put your hair up or hide the length in any way? I'm so curious now.

It depends on the production and the era that it is set in. Anything 20th century tends to mean I have to get creative with my length. Sometimes I just wear a full wig- it's less comfortable but easier! (the audience always thinks the wig is my real hair, and my real hair, a wig!)