PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with short layers?

AnneAdeline
March 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM
My shortest layer, in the front, is not quite shoulder length. Meanwhile, the longest layer is almost at BSL.

This is highly annoying to me as the short layer can't make it to the back when I braid. Like when French braiding the front hairs are too short and stick out unless I stop the braid right against my head. And that just looks funny.:rolleyes:

Any tips on how to deal with the short layers and what hair-dos would work? Anyone else also going through this?

Thanks a bunch!
~Anne

feralnature
March 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I am going through this too but my layers are far shorter than yours. The longest layers are just below the collar and the shortest are my bangs and up around the crown of my head. Those are about 4-6 inches long. I have to pin the long bangs and layers back with butterfly clips and claw clips while I am working around the house. I don't want the hairs around my forehead to get caught in my glasses and tear off. I imagine I will be growing these layers out for a good long time.

AnneAdeline
March 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I wear glasses too and hate when they tear my hair by my ears. And it hurts, too.
My layers are long enough to fit in a pony, but the shorter hair works itself free by the end of the day. Maybe I'll start bobby-pinning to stop that.

Good luck growing out your layers~

florenonite
March 8th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I have layers, but they're a bit shorter than yours. I French braid my hair when it's damp and just ignore the fuzzy bits. I do a lot of ignoring when it comes to my layers, for that matter. Buns, braids, there's always fuzzy bits sticking out that I just pretend aren't there.

Kuchen
March 8th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I still have a four or five inch gap between shortest and longest layers (started with jaw length to shoulder length layers). No hints except treat that canopy gently – otherwise you get a ball of velcro ends halfway down your hair!

Liluri
March 8th, 2008, 04:56 AM
When I was growing out layers, ages ago headbands (cloth), and clips, pretty clips and combs were my friends. Those pretty little claws with lovely decorations would have been great too.

AnneAdeline
March 8th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the advice.

florenonite - Hmm, I haven't tried braiding my hair while it is damp. I'll try that next time I wash it.

Kuchen - Good advice, velcro ends would be bad.

Liluri - I have some headbands that I knit that I just love. It is kinda hard to find headbands that will fit my head, though. (Oh, the troubles of a big-noggined girl :rolleyes: )

Shermie Girl
March 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Ugh! Layers. :( I have them throughout my shoulder length hair. My shortest layers are just short of chin length. Luckily, I can get all but the ones at the nape of my neck into an updo or ponytail. I am coping with headbands, French twists and high ponytails, clips and hair pins. I am going to have those suckers for years to come.

Katze
March 9th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I've got lots of layers, from ear to shoulder length. My "length" then varies from shoulder to almost-BSL. This means severe taper and messy 'dos, and anything that relies on length (buns) looks terrible.

Deliberately messy 'dos are a hit for me, as it looks like I did that on purpose. Braids really only work if I can brush my hair sleek, oil it, and all that only works on dirty days.

If you have any wave at all, playing it up helps disguise the layers while they are growing out...

SchnauzerMom
March 9th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I'm growing out layers too. I've decided to pin them back the best that I can and generally just ignore them.

Blueneko
March 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Layers are evil!

My bangs are past my chin, and just now going into a lower ponytail. Took 9 months to get there.

My suggestion is headbands, elastic headbands and ignoring your hair for 6 months.

ReadingRenee
March 9th, 2008, 02:19 PM
yeah I've been growing out layers for a while now. My shortest layers were about collarbone length and my hair was mid shoulderblade. Now Im almost at BSL and the shortest layers are about 4 inches shorter than that.

Anyway I discovered a hairstyle from Eadwine that I really liked. It was making two french braids on either side of your head and then joining the rest into one braid going down. That was the only thing that contained my layers. I wore that a lot and i can just now wear a single french or dutch braid and contain my layers. I still have some bits sticking out but like Florenite said, I just igmore those.

The cool thing is the longer my layers grow, the more I can keep them contained in braids and buns are no problem anymore. Patience and Time, Patience and Time. :)

AnneAdeline
March 9th, 2008, 04:03 PM
ReadingRenee, I love the idea of two French braids joined into one. It sounds very elegant. Only thing, I can never seem to get two French braids to look the same. One is always much neater than the other. :rolleyes:

ReadingRenee
March 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM
ReadingRenee, I love the idea of two French braids joined into one. It sounds very elegant. Only thing, I can never seem to get two French braids to look the same. One is always much neater than the other.

Yes I have the same problem. Practice, practice. What I always do is make the braid Im working on every night before bed just to get the practice. no one sees it but I still get better until I can actually wear a braid out in public. :)

Here is a pic of my first attempt back in Oct/Nov of 07

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/meowmixxrr/Photo10-2-1-1-1.jpg

Doesn't that make you feel better? Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the later better attempts.

AnneAdeline
March 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Great idea! I often braid my hair while watching tv, since my hands have to be doing something. I'll just have to keep practicing, and hopefully my braids will be halfway-decent so I can wear them out soon.

Patrycja
March 10th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I have said this a million times,I am Queen of the Messy Buns.Yes,I crowned myself after I have stated it so much.My shortest layer are my bangs,then my chin.My longest is BSL.I love them when I can get them to lay right when my hair is down(very rarely)but I loathe them when I try updos.

I see shiny figure 8 buns and I want to cry :(

lora410
March 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Mine are about your length. My hair is parted off to the side not in the middle so I usually take that section and clip them on the side of my head.I don't do braids because of my layers so this works well if you are doing a bun or any up-do. it looks stylish as well :flower:

Artemisa
March 23rd, 2023, 08:43 PM
I feel you, sister! My shortest layer is just above my jaw liNe and my longest is BSL. French braids had been my besties the last year, to fight the crazy little hairs, putting a bit of oil on my fingertips before braiding help a lot, also I go for the loose, almost messy I live in the woods kinda vibe, so if any hair falls it adds to the concept LOL