PDA

View Full Version : ficcare chipped enamel ...help???

bella77
May 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I have an ficcare from a few years ago that has seen better days. Is it possible to remove the enamel and not damage the clip, maybe to paint over it or something once the enamel has been removed? It is chipped towards the end of the beak and frankly I have not worn it in so long because of this. Any help is appreciated.

Anje
May 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I'm sure someone who's done this will weigh in soon... But I know there are members here who have pried the entire piece of enamel off and painted their Ficcare with nailpolish or similar. I'm pretty sure some have even asked for chipped Ficcares for painting on the Swap board.

wendyg
May 15th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Personally, I'd email Ficcare first and ask if there was any chance they could repair it.

wg

bella77
May 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Personally, I'd email Ficcare first and ask if there was any chance they could repair it.

wg
would you believe I did this a month ago, and they never responded!!!

Carolyn
May 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM
would you believe I did this a month ago, and they never responded!!!Give them a call.

bella77
May 15th, 2011, 01:30 PM
well I sent them another quick email, so hopefully they will get back to me, if no response this time, I will call.

bella77
May 16th, 2011, 09:58 AM
so I did get a resonse this time and it was to NOT chip the enamel, but to apply clear polish over it to make sure the rest of the enamel does not chip away. Um, well, that's not gonna happen since it looks like crud! I am going to try to chip away at it with my nail and see if I can get most of it off, then cover it with a pretty paint of polish like I have seen some do here.

myotislucifugus
May 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM
You can paint over it with nail polish. Nail polish is enamel, and if you are feeling really ambitious, you can lightly sand the parts to be painted so there is more to "grip" for the nail polish.

It's the same stuff they use, and it's dirt cheap, especially if you use the on sale stuff from Wet n Wild or NYC (assuming you are from the US)

MandyBeth
May 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Acetone has gotten the enamel off without damage to the clip. However, if it's gold metal, acetone will make the silver show also.

bella77
May 16th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Acetone has gotten the enamel off without damage to the clip. However, if it's gold metal, acetone will make the silver show also.
it was a tortoise enamel over a gold clip, I don't have any acetone polish remover right now, but I might try to pick up a small bottle and then try dabbing it on a small section with a qtip to see if that helps, or did you mean acetone paint remover, like from a hardware store:confused:

kwaniesiam
May 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM
it was a tortoise enamel over a gold clip, I don't have any acetone polish remover right now, but I might try to pick up a small bottle and then try dabbing it on a small section with a qtip to see if that helps, or did you mean acetone paint remover, like from a hardware store:confused:

You can get pure acetone at a beauty supply store meant for removing acrylic nails. That'll do the trick and is no more expensive than nail polish remover. Some pharmacies might have it too.