PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair prefer just cheap S&C (Suave, etc.)? (Not CO)

Lilli
May 15th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I am beginning to suspect my hair prefers just some very basic shampoo and conditioner, once a day. Cones make me shiny, but build up too quickly and then my hair is dry and straw-like. Non-sulfate shampoos are nice for their health and environmental factors, but my hair quickly dulls. I don't really like any of the Suave or VO5 smells better than my Body Shop Rainforest Moisturizing honey smell, but I think that cheap SLS shampoo and basic fatty alcohol conditioner is best for me.

jujube
May 15th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Some of us thrive on cheap stuff, even if it's not for CO. Maybe my hair is still too short to really notice a difference, but I can use Suave as an after-shampoo conditioner and my hair is fine.

ladyfey
May 15th, 2011, 08:22 AM
my knee length hair does just fine with suave conditioner! I do like the Chagrin Valley shampoo bars for washing it though.

jaine
May 15th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Drugstore products leave me with itchy, red, irritated skin so it doesn't matter what my hair thinks, I still can't use them. I suspect my hair wouldn't be happy though, because inexpensive stuff usually has harsher detergents or less oil and my hair is easily dried out. Even among the more expensive brands that I use, I still notice differences in my hair depending on what I'm using. So far I haven't found anything that my hair likes better than John Masters and that's ridiculously expensive.

jojo
May 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM
we dont have suave here in the UK but I always get ole cheapo shampoo but my hair likes expensive conditioners, however Sally's coconut shampoo £10 for 5 litres is proving a big hit, so maybe not!

Anje
May 15th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Well, I do better with CO, but before my LHC days I ventured a time or two away from my usual Suave S&C. I generally ended up with unhappy hair and dandruff. My scalp definitely prefers the cheap stuff.

CoconutLover
May 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I usually buy Avalon Organics shampoo for when I need shampoo to clarify (not very often), which is around £6 so isn't as cheap as it could be.

However, for my CO my hair LOVES Inecto Coconut Conditioner (from the UK), its only around £1.50 and the smell is divine! The cheaper conditioners are often the ones without cones too, so that's a bonus.

KayBee
May 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM
My hair likes the cheap stuff. It seems like any time I buy more expensive products my hair is a tangly mess.

Jean Stuart
May 15th, 2011, 11:18 AM
My hair loves the Loreal sulphate free shampoo but hates the matching conditioners. It loves the vo5 or dollar tree conditioners.

vanillabones
May 15th, 2011, 11:18 AM
My hair loves the cheap stuff, I spent years buying more expensive S&Cs because my family made fun of me for loving the original herbal essences which was my favorite. I spent years buying salon brands after that and never loved any. When I was at a friends house she had a new herbal essences just last year and my hair felt so nice afterwards I was like wow I still love this stuff! :) I'm staying cheap for now on and never rebuying any expensive conditioners but I do like organic shampoos. My EO one lathers and is SLS free :)

emeraldshade
May 15th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I used to use sauve all the time, but a year ago it suddenly made my scalp itchy and my hair a wreck. Now I use Burt's Bees sugar beet and grapefruit and Trader Joe's refresh citrus shampoo's, and my hair LOVES it!

racrane
May 15th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I just started using VO5 products last month and my hair loves it. So much better - more shiny, soft and happy. Fine by me, because I can get deals at CVS where I live for 50 cents a bottle. :D

caiti42
May 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM
My hair is such a snob.

My shampoo and conditioner combined cost me about AU$40! Anything else gives me flaky scalp or makes me too greasy. I have been using the same bottle o conditioner every 2nd day since November so they do go a long way!

pepperminttea
May 15th, 2011, 03:28 PM
My hair's quite happy with dirt cheap SLS shampoo, and 'cone-free conditioner. That is, as long as I bribe it with some virgin organic coconut oil, Nightblooming panacea, 100% aloe vera gel, and regular deep treatments. :p

luthein
May 15th, 2011, 04:24 PM
My hair is definitely a cheap date. I never buy hair products at retail price. That way, I get to try new things and be thrifty about it!

Lilli
May 16th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Suave Mango Mandarin shampoo, matching conditioner on the bottom 2 inches, and 2 drops of pure argan oil on damp hair = beautiful hair. Well, that, and I blow-dried it. I hate the look of wavy nape and straight canopy.