PDA

View Full Version : Lower layers of hair (at the neck) coarser?

Sara_1987
May 15th, 2011, 03:10 AM
I'm not sure whether this is a common issue....I've googled and couldn't really find anything.

My hair is BSL and quite straight, although I do blowdry to get it really straight and smooth.
This doesn't seem to be a major problem for my hair (I take really good care of it besides the use of heat). I do get split ends, but only in the lower layers of my hair. Those lower layers are also much coarser than the rest of my hair. The layer of hair at my neck has very wiry hair and it is much wavier than the rest of my strands. It's weird and it bugs me like crazy. Because of this I also use way more heat (sometimes a straightener) on those hairs to get them smooth and straight. As a result of that (and probably also because the lower part is always touching my back since I always have it loose) I get major split ends in that part of my hair.

In the rest of my hair (the upper layers) I get some split ends of course, but really not that many.

Anyone have the same problem?

весна
May 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I have a lot of shorter, curly hair at the neck and it looks like layers thought I've never cut layers on my hair. Because of that my longer hair looks so thin and weak. I wish I could even it out so all of my hair is the same length, but that would require cutting all of the length up to that curly layer. But, my hair would lose a lot in length. I think this answers you're question that you're not alone with that "problem" ;)

neesalena
May 15th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I have this too! I mostly bun dry and let my hair do what it will now, but it's obvious to me that those lower layers are not playing the same games that the other ones are. This is probably part of way straightening my hair by myself never worked out awesome.

You are definitely not alone, though I offer no solution either.

shikara
May 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Oh yeah - I've got this too:( They're the first to dry after a wash, and the first to get a bit of oil or some such thing. What I don't like about it is that my length doesn't all drape nicely together because of it - it separates in a couple places. When I wear an updo that sits higher, though, I do like the 'waves'.

LadieRyrie
May 15th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Yes! I have the same exact problem! I thought mine was damaged, although I don't use heat, because it had this burnt rough feel to it. The hairs are definitely curlier and wiry, I would get lots of frizz down the back of my head which centered in that one spot. Not very pretty. My only suggestion is to grow it out. I'm doing that with mine. Can't wait til I get to one length so it goes away. Blech.

LaceyNg
May 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
same problem for me too! almost feels damaged, although i didnt do anything differently to the underside layers that the top ones. i've been tryin to moisturize the crap out of it lately, and it HAS helped, but not as much as i'd like. :/

someone HELP us!!!!! :(

Shoga
May 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I have this too. If I don't brush it out, there are usually three frizzy crazy thick locks/spirals of curls back there and I have fairly straight hair otherwise. For the past month or so I've been SUPER careful when pulling my hair up because that lower part used to get run over by the brush the most. I have been oiling, no heat, snipping spilts and it's starting to look better.

So far so good. It's hard to see back there but so far that bit of new growth seems to be really healthy. All I can recommend is just baby it. :o Otherwise I'm afraid that's just how it grows in.

lyria
May 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I have this too. It is such a drag when the rest of my hair looks nice and smooth and then I try a half up and the lower layers are not as silky. Grrrrr.

zirena
May 15th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I've got the same problem...but opposite. The hairs at my neck/underneath are so lovely and soft but my top layer of hair is RIDDLED with these awful coarse hairs! It makes it look frizzy after washing, so I have to wash my hair at night and sleep on it dry and that tames them for me.

xoxophelia
May 15th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I have this as well basically except my hair is M/C so the thickness of the strands isn't a huge difference from most of my hair. On the underside towards my ears it does have a very frizzy wave though that never clumps right and also never splits (even if I straighten it every single day with a flat iron). The best thing I have found so far is also the most difficult solution: giving up all heat. Since doing so, the pattern of those hairs has become a bit more smooth for me. And really, pretty much no amount of heat ever tamed them. The only thing that did was Thermal Reconditioning which is the common hair straightening system in Japan. It is very expensive in the US though.

CrystalStar
May 16th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I have this! The top layer of my hair is a lot sleeker, but tends to split easier.. But my lower layer is so thick and coarse that split ends don't have a hope!

PrincessBob
May 16th, 2011, 01:21 AM
My hair is coarsest near the front of my head in the upper layers... very interesting.

Phexlyn
May 16th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Oh yeah, I hate my stupid, coarse neck hair. Actually it's more like medium texture, but in comparison to the other fine strands on my head it's pretty coarse. It's better if it's extra-moisturized and it can take up more oil than the rest of my hair.
Besides that, it's just annoying and simply refuses to grow as long as the other hairs on my head.

Busybee
August 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Well is there anything you ladies USE to tame and smooth out the tumbleweeds down under?

I have the same coarse, wiry, nape hair issue, and I cannot find a product or regimen to make it smooth.... or at least softer/smoother, without it getting GREASY (coconut oil, shea butter, etc)

So tired of having to grease it up in a bun. I need a office environment friendly solution to wearing the hair down, if anyone has a great product recommendation.

LaceyNg
October 21st, 2011, 08:41 AM
no one can help us...? :(

els23
October 21st, 2011, 02:58 PM
I have the same problem and actually found that when I started doing CO it got a lot better. I think in my case it's partially a matter of those hairs being drier for some reason and making sure to focus moisture treatments on that area has helped a lot, though that hair still has a tendency to look frizzier than the rest of my hair.

Yozhik
October 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM
I actually have extra fine hair at the nape of my neck which tangles really easily and also tends to split. I just make sure I baby it and catch it in my updos. Lately, I've had way fewer problems with this area than I had before, when I didn't know any better and didn't know how to treat my hair gently.

BlazingHeart
October 21st, 2011, 05:10 PM
I have coarser hair at my nape, but it isn't wavier than the rest. I have coarse hair scattered through most of my hair, just more of it at the nape than elsewhere. I just treat it like the rest of my hair.

blondie9912
October 22nd, 2011, 01:51 AM
I have a friend that has the thickest, longest, strongest hair you will ever see, and she complains of this. She says that the underside of her hair is even thicker than the rest of it (if that's possible :p) and is considerably more damaged.

Woosh
October 22nd, 2011, 04:38 AM
I have it the other way around, aka ****ty on top with nice lower layers.

I always used to think it would be so much better if it was the other way around, but with so many people here having it that way and not liking it I guess both versions can be pretty frustrating.

Woosh
October 22nd, 2011, 04:40 AM
Ah, apparently that's considered foul language, apologies!

I meant to say that the top layers do not behave very well and have a larger amount of coarser hairs that the lower layers.

Shesta
October 22nd, 2011, 11:13 AM
My under layers also cause me extra headaches. My overall hair is medium to coarse but at the nape of my neck goes something really scary. My hair there is super fine, prone to tangles and seems to have shorter terminal length, which makes it almost impossible to secure it in my updo. In a half-up it gets even more frizzy and awful. Hence I'm considering shaving this part of my head at some point.

Do you think doing it would get me coarser hair?

Galdr
October 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
i have that too, im curly. that hair would never grow past the nape of my neck. i once got so irritated i cut it off and had a small undercut. it's growing now.

Nocturnal
October 29th, 2011, 11:12 PM
My lower layers of hair are coarser, however I do not consider it a problem. They are different texture from the rest of the hair, and I like these strands of afro hair. They grow slower than the rest of the hair, so it doesn't make sense to cut the rest of the hair to match them, as these underlayers will never keep up with the growth (but they do grow). I think mine are now about between BSL and waist and the rest of the hair is between tailbone and classic.