PDA

View Full Version : Hem obsessed!

Kristamommyx3
May 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I was taught by my mother to closely watch my ends and trim as soon as it looks even slightly worn. This advice has served me very well for keeping my baby baby fine hair in top condition, but....now I want it to grow at least four more inches asap! I am used to trimming my own hair whenever I need it, as soon as I see any sign of "imperfection", but that will make four inches take a year! How do you keep yourself from trimming away your progress? I already wear it in a low bun most of the day, but the urge has been overwhelming today! Lol. My hair pics on my page are from this month, so maybe someone could tell me honestly if I should trim or hide the scissors? Hehe

owlathena
May 14th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Hide the scissors! Your hair is beautiful! Your hem is perfect right now, but IMHO slightly thin ends on longish hair is pretty and feminine--so don't obsess!

Jenn of Pence
May 14th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Well, I think your ends look wonderful! I certainly don't see a need to trim (at least as far as I'm able to discern from a photograph). Please step away from the scissors! ;)
:scissors::run:

MissManda
May 14th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I think your hemline looks lovely. :flower: Hide the scissors!

I have some questions, however. How often do you actually trim? How much do you take off? If you're not willing to put the scissors away, you could just make sure to do very tiny trims so that way your hair still gets longer but you don't have to worry about how your ends look.

invisiblebabe
May 14th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Your hemline looks great! Don't trim again!

shikara
May 14th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I like the advice you've been given here and follow suit!!! Maybe give yourself permission to hold off for a couple weeks and if it you are still 'obsessing' then consider a microtrim.

Kristamommyx3
May 14th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I think your hemline looks lovely. :flower: Hide the scissors!

I have some questions, however. How often do you actually trim? How much do you take off? If you're not willing to put the scissors away, you could just make sure to do very tiny trims so that way your hair still gets longer but you don't have to worry about how your ends look.

It usually is about half an inch when I feel I need it, maybe a quarter inch. I don't follow time closely as much as how healthy it looks. I would like to try to get to Christmas with only one trim halfway through of about half an inch at most.

Mesmerise
May 15th, 2011, 12:37 AM
If you're really obsessed, and desperately feel the need to trim...try doing a dusting or micro trim instead. Try and cut off say 1/16" (I'm metric but umm that's probably about 1.5mm or so??) so I mean, just an incy little amount.

Either that, or go through your hair for some S&D so you can cut off any emerging split ends that will hamper your growth progress.

Make it a goal to have a regular trim no more than once every 3-4 months, and when you do give it a trim don't cut off too much (if you're doing a dusting or microtrim you can probably do it once a month if you're only taking a teeny bit off). If you're cutting 1/4" to 1/2" don't do it more often than 3-4 months.

What I have done is worked out the date I'll next trim on (I'm doing it by the moon lol) so my next trim will be 9th July (about 3 months since my last trim), and I'm cutting off 1cm (bit less than 1/2"). I have it firmly fixed in my mind so I'm less tempted to do any trimming before that date (earlier this year I had a bit too much "fun" using Feye's self trim method and trimmed more than I initially planned). I will then set a date in October or November and probably do another trim of no more than 1cm.

If it's FIRMLY fixed in my mind when and how much I will trim, I'm less likely to go nuts and trim earlier!! This year I'm focussing mostly on getting length, so I really need to curb my desire for too many trims (next year I'm going to maintain to thicken my hemline, so I'll be trimming monthly, which will give me my scissor fix lol).

Kristamommyx3
May 15th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Mesmerize,
I like that idea. I will pick a date for a 1/4 " trim every three months. I hope I can stand it !

Nymphea
May 16th, 2011, 11:31 AM
You don't have to trim now, believe me! Your end looks so nice & neat!

I'm also considering myself a hem obsessed! That's why I'm frequently caught wandering between BSL and waist, then again to BSL, then to waist or hip, just to conclude that my hem could be better, so I trim it back etc.

Now I've decided to go again to TBL, and I'm determined not to trim that often. I'll try to focus on my length, not on the perfect hemline. I need to convince myself that nothing too bad can happen in three or four months without a trim.

So I'm in this no-trim challenge with you! :)

terpentyna
May 16th, 2011, 03:11 PM
The hemline is great, just dust if it makes you uneasy...