PDA

View Full Version : Should I Cut?

Annibelle
May 14th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I'm a little past waist, but my ends are super wispy... should I go ahead and cut them?

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P5143627.jpg

Here's my hair a little more spread out:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P5143630.jpg

I don't want to lose any length (of course!), but the ends look weird, right? It seems like it begins thinning quite a bit after APL, but I don't want to lose anywhere near that much length... but if it'll make my hair look healthier and prettier, I'll work up the nerve to do it. What do you guys think?

(Don't worry-- if you suggest something, I do it, and hate it, I won't blame you! Hahaha. I just really want some meaningful feedback!)

growingpains
May 14th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I think it would look much better at WL. I think it would look even better though at BSL, or perhaps an inch or two past BSL. In fact I think BSL/MBL would be ideal. I suggest you go to a hairdresser and get them to trim up to MBL. If you feel you need more than that after you see what it looks like then do more. I wouldn't go shorter than BSL though. Your hair looks pretty thick till around BSL actually.

christine1989
May 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Just looking at your length shot you can see a pretty definate line where the ends suddenly get thin. You don't seem to have a taiper- the ends just get really thin after about BSL. If you don't want to cut that far I think waist would look tons better then you could gradually get rid of the thin part with micro trims.

MonaLisa
May 14th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Im thinking BSL.. honestly I dont like those ends..i think your hair would look way better without them, and it should grow back soon enough, in better shape :)

I had my hair too..layered and thinned out...and had to cut above waist...twice, to get those ends nice, it did feel weird..i missed the length, but im happy i did it because of what I have now :)

MoonlightShadow
May 14th, 2011, 07:08 PM
hmm....i would say trim to BSL. i knw i wouldn't like to lose length either :( but then again, healthy hair is prettier and much healthier :) besides, it can always grow back and maybe even grow longer ^-^

jojo
May 14th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I am going to suggest cutting to bsl as it looks much thicker there. Have you gone a long while without a trim? My hair starts thinning at the ends when I dont trim; I am going for 3-4 month dustings to try and maintain a thicker hemline.

Eire
May 14th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I think a U shaped, unlayered hemline where the longest part reaches BSL would be the most flattering for your current hair.

redwoman
May 14th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I voted bsl. I think your ends would look much thicker and nicer at bsl. My opinion for what its worth...

christine1989
May 14th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I think a U shaped, unlayered hemline where the longest part reaches BSL would be the most flattering for your current hair.

That is exactly what I was thinking! As you can see from the pictures it is already naturally forming a U shape. I think if the thin ends were trimmed away in a U it would look really good without being a pain to grow out.

allmixedup88
May 14th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Maybe MBL just below BSL but above waist...

allmixedup88
May 14th, 2011, 07:18 PM
and then do micro trims as it grows out as others have stated if you really do not want to cut off a lot

elbow chic
May 14th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'd cut to waist, see how it looks from there, and maybe microtrim for a few months.

ashke50
May 14th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'd cut to waist, see how it looks from there, and maybe microtrim for a few months.
I say the same. Cut to waist, and see how it looks there. Then you can cut off more if you want to.

invisiblebabe
May 14th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I would either cut it in a blunt cut at APL, or cut it in a U-shaped cut with the shortest part at APL and the longest at just above BSL. The length past that isn't doing anything for your look or for your hair, IMO. :flower: I think at APL you will gain a lot of volume and bounce!

HintOfMint
May 14th, 2011, 07:52 PM

This would be ideal, I think.

alyanna
May 14th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Yes. Please do cut a little bit. I also don't think your ends look nearly as nice as they potentially could. They do not do justice to the rest of your hair. I would expect to see those ends on a thinnie like me, an i, definitely not an ii.

A little patience. If you can cut to BSL and dust every few months, I am sure you'll gain some great length and you'll be able to achieve the thickness at your ends that you have further up the length of your hair.

Congrats on getting this far and thanks for asking for everyone's honest opinion. That's very brave of you!

celebriangel
May 14th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Me being me, I would chop of all the thin ends, and u really mean all.

However. Whule your hair is in desparate need of two and a half or three inches off, and I think you should do that now,the ends start to thicken up there so you could then trim half to all of youe growth each month, depending on which option would try your patience least.

Good luck :)

Sylvanas
May 14th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I'd cut between waist and BSL, or right at BSL, depending on how thick you want your hemline to be. I agree with the people who suggest an U-shaped hemline, or maybe even a V :)

BeccaAngel
May 14th, 2011, 08:15 PM
BSL would be awesome! But whatever you do, just make sure your happy with it.:)

JamieLeigh
May 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM
If it were me, I'd just trim off the see-through ends. It looks like they start almost right at BSL, so that's what I chose in the poll.

I tried several different methods of dealing with thin ends - I tried cutting a small amount to see how I liked it, then I tried maintaining there with micro-trims until the thickness grew out - and I went for the 'cut them off' option after I was unsatisfied with having ends I could not be happy with for such a long time. It was almost a full year before I decided to just cut my losses and my thin ends. :flower:

Mesmerise
May 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I haven't seen all the other replies, but I voted "to waist". Why? Because I think it will make your ends look neater, and also because it's not so short that you'll feel like you're going a long way backwards.

If you were to cut to waist, and still not be happy and want more off...then that's fine, but I wouldn't cut to BSL all in one hit! You might really regret it and you will possibly miss that extra length.

For me, my goal is to get to waist and maintain at wasit to get rid of my thin ends, and then head on for hip. BUT I don't want to go shorter than waist to get rid of my ends (I mean if I cut to BSL now my ends would look thicker but I'd be really sad). So going by what I'd personally do in your situation, is I'd cut to waist and then do self trims monthly to maintain at waist until it's thickened up, and then I'd start growing again.

I have seen a couple of people thickening up their thin ends by regularly trimming the ends rather than losing length. Someone (can't remember who) drew a diagram that showed it was better to maintain the length and trim regularly, than to chop off a few inches (something to do with the taper, and how cutting back doesn't always benefit the thickness in the end). I can't actually explain it, and I can't remember where I saw the diagram!!

But I've seen people with worse ends than yours keep maintaining their length and having their length thicken up faster than you'd think it would, given the amount of taper.

dragonchickx
May 14th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Lovely!! Definately trim some of the ends, it doesnt have to be all of it, even just below BSL would look great with a few of the tapering ends. It would be nice either way though. Go for it youll be fine :D

share801
May 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I voted for BSL but I think you can go slightly below that - nearly waist but not quite. If you don't want to cut that much even a small trim to neaten up the hemline will help I think.

My hair is very much like this so its interesting to see the responses.

Nic's
May 14th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I would also vote BSL if you want thicker healthier hair. Those ends are looking far to thin.

Jean Stuart
May 14th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Honestly I would if it were me... but only because I like a blunt hemline. You can take it slow and trim a small amount at a time until you are happy with it.

owlathena
May 14th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I really really really don't think you need to go all the way up to BSL. I think just an inch or so would make a big difference. You'd still have beautiful wispy ends, but more "fairytale" and less "scraggly." I also think that a V or deep U shape would help to get rid of some of the thinning, but help keep length. I have a general rule with my own hair: only cut half of what I think I "need" to. I always find that thats enough to make me feel good about my hair again.

McFearless
May 14th, 2011, 10:45 PM
To improve thickness, minor trims every other month is your best bet.

chelseamichelle
May 14th, 2011, 11:10 PM
It's really your choice, if you prefer the look of a thicker hemline then go for it. In my experience I never regretted a trim as much as I thought I would, once I saw the results that I wanted, I forgot about the lost length.
And sometimes just a small trim can make a bigger difference than you anticipated, I usually self trim so I cut in half inch increments and see how it looks. Of course if you go to a salon then it's more of a one shot deal :P
As for my opinion on where you should cut, I think BSL would probably give you the results you're looking for right away.

principesse
May 15th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't chop, if I were you. I think you should get a trim and maintain at that length, as in getting regular trims every month or every other month at most. It will take longer to get thicker ends that way but you will still have long hair throughout the entire process and your hair will get better with every trim :)

Sophie.Bold
May 15th, 2011, 12:56 AM
IMHO, I voted for BSL but I would do it, 1-2 inches by trim so you get used to it, and perhaps realize a bit below BSL would be better....

Follow your gut, It also depends how often u let it out, right now Im bunning at all times so I dont worry about my ends :)

Happy trim!

jenhow
May 15th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I concur with everyone else - BSL would look best at this stage.

Ciridae
May 15th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Because I can understand the compulsion to hold on to the length, I voted WL. I'd start with that, and see if that improves your hemline. Then I'd dust to maintain WL, giving the remaining bits a chance to catch up. Even just an inch off would improve the look and feel of your hemline, and might encourage you to trim another inch. You could 'dip your toes' so to speak, before taking the plunge. :)

pepperminttea
May 15th, 2011, 03:23 AM
If it were me, I'd go to a long BSL, hovering around MBL length. Either that, or maintain the current length with frequent microtrims until the thickness had 'caught up'. :flower:

Fufu
May 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I would suggest trim to solid BSL :)

CrystalStar
May 15th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I would suggest between APL-BSL to get all crisp, thick ends on your hair. Or cut it to waist and maintain for a while. :)

scorpio_rising
May 15th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I'm so surprised at how many people are saying BSL! Gosh!
I think even a small trim would show improvement and give you a better idea what you're working with, so I would start there. To my eye there's no need at all for you to cut all the way back to BSL.
I would start with a small trim, to waist at most, and then take it from there. You could maintain at waist for a while with regular trims and have nice thick ends before you know it, but if you decided along the way you wanted to trim a little more off, that option would always be available to you. If you cut back to BSL, you are essentially chopping off all your options along with your hair.

Mesmerise
May 15th, 2011, 05:55 AM
I'm so surprised at how many people are saying BSL! Gosh!
I think even a small trim would show improvement and give you a better idea what you're working with, so I would start there. To my eye there's no need at all for you to cut all the way back to BSL.
I would start with a small trim, to waist at most, and then take it from there. You could maintain at waist for a while with regular trims and have nice thick ends before you know it, but if you decided along the way you wanted to trim a little more off, that option would always be available to you. If you cut back to BSL, you are essentially chopping off all your options along with your hair.

I agree!! I was surprised so many said BSL, especially as she doesn't want to lose her length. I think anything under waist will feel very short for her, especially given how long she's managed to grow it.

Pantha
May 15th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I can see why a lot of people have said BSL but I ticked waist simply because I think whilst BSL would make for a much thicker hem that is a lot of length to loose even if it is whispy. If you take it to waist then you can try to tackle the problem of the wispy ends whereas in the past when I have trimmed off a few inches and then tried to grow my hair back to the length I had it then I don't do micro trims and my ends end up almost as bad as before. Of course if you would feel more confident and happy with BSL then go ahead, however, if you are goign to be trying to get more length and healty ends then waist and frequent micro trims and S&D would in my opinion be better.

kyandii
May 15th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I ticked BSL, but I do think that Mid-back length would do the job just as well without loosing quite so much hair! First though I think you should trim to waist and see how it looks then?
x

torrilin
May 15th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Unless you really hate how your ends are behaving, I'd just maintain at your current length. It's probably easiest to manage if you work with a stylist and do 1/2" or 1" trims on a regular schedule. After a year or so, I doubt the ends will look wispy. There should still be a bit of fairytailing, but that's fine.

I'd also scrutinize your routine for things that might be causing breakage or split ends, especially if the longest hairs are also your thickest hairs.

lapushka
May 15th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I had some doubts at first, because I know that taking half an inch or an inch off your length can do a lot for your ends, but because your ends are quite see-through, I don't know if cutting to WL will do that much. That's why I voted BSL.

I would try to cut to WL first, though, just to see if it makes a difference to you. If so, then there's no need to cut more off. It might matter for updos. You could thicken up your ends gradually if length is what matters most to you.

Yozhik
May 15th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I voted for BSL, but I really suggest whatever makes you the most comfortable (or how much you are comfortable with cutting). :flower:

I was adamant against trimming for more than a year and a half, then finally one day I decided I couldn't stand my ends anymore, got 2+ inches cut off, and now feel much better about my hair, so another good technique might be to just trim off a little and see how you feel afterwards. :)

Nymphea
May 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Personally, if it were me, I would go for BSL. That's the longest length that would in the same time maintain a good looking hemline, Besides that "visual" part, I think that it would be the longest length where my hair would feel better (I mean, no wispy and thinning, breakable ends).

And what's more important, I would do it myself, so I could control the exact length that is going to be cut. I don't trust hairdressers much, I admit. Once I was in pretty same situation as you are now, and my hairdresser somehow managed to cut what she wanted to cut - so I went in with past classic, and went out with barely SL.

I say - go for the length that feels the most comfortable for you. Any trim would do good. I'd go for BSL, but if you feel more like a waist, cut to waist, or cut gradually - step by step.

Tell us what you've decided!

Sunsailing
May 15th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I didn't vote for cutting to a particular point....that doesn't make sense to me.

If it were me, I'd cut 2 inches off. If I wasn't satisfied, then I'd continue take off 1 inch at a time, until it was at a point I was satisfied with (I'd live with it for a couple of days between those trims).

If you are paying for those trims, it will be money well spent. Think of how much you spend on clothes. Your hair is the one thing you wear every day.

Good luck.

lyria
May 16th, 2011, 09:07 AM
If it were me, I would go to BSL to get back to a thick heathy hemline and then rely on S+D to get back the length. But you should take it slow and do what makes you happy :)

spidermom
May 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM
To keep thicker ends, you will need to be on a regular schedule of trimming. Cutting back to thick ends and then growing them with only S&D will put you right back to where you are now.

If it were me, I'd cut back to BSL in a U-shape and plan on getting a very small trim every 3-4 months to keep the thickness while gaining length. Since you don't want to lose your length, I'd advise you to cut back approximately an inch every 2 months. Hopefully your slower-growing hairs will move down and you will gradually get a thicker hem.

ooo
May 16th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I thought I already wrote something in here. Hope I did not confuse threads and posted the comment for this thread in an other thread. :o

In my opinion micro trims would be the best choice.

hairspastic
May 16th, 2011, 09:31 AM
It depends on what is most important to you. Is it your length or is it the thickness? Figure out which one is the top priority before you do anything. I would go very slow in trimming; so you don't regret it. It is much easier to trim slowly; then grow it out again. That takes longer!
If you really want to trim a bit; I would say go to waist. I agree with those that say if you chop off a lot at once; then grow it back the hair tends to taper more than micro trims and trying to thicken up a hemline. My opinion is from observation of others only. O

I've grown my hair nearly uncut for the most part. (Since I'm from an Apostolic Pentecostal background) So take my advice on your cut with a grain of salt! One thing I've noticed about some people growing out there hair is this- some people can't make it to the longer lengths without wispyness. You're likely not one of those people, but keep in mind there are some people this true for them. So if you do cut it- it may grow back the same.
Or maybe it will grow back better. I have no idea. Since I don't have experience in that area. :-) Good luck to you!

Fadedbluedreams
May 16th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I voted Minor Trim because I think it would be a shame to lose the length you've already accomplished. In my opinion, your hair will catch up over time anyway, so you could just maintain the current length with regular microtrims. Then your hair will be thicker without the lost length.

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I voted for waist length. I think your ends may appear thicker at a longer length if you only cut but a little (instead of cutting them all out to BSL). I wodl hesitate to cut it all off at once. You can always go back and have more cut but you cannot put it back on. BSL would be a huge cut IMO.

Spidermom makes a good point. I, personally, think S&D is not a good idea. I know a lot of people here do it and I used to myself but I think regular microtrims are better.

Annibelle
May 16th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks so much for the honest feedback, guys! My head is telling me BSL, but my heart is saying "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Haha. Last night, I had DH cut about an inch off so I'm back to exactly waist. My ends are still quite wispy, and I might have him take another inch off tonight, but my ends already feel thicker.

I guess my ends are so uneven simply because I haven't had a cut in over four years and because I trim very rarely-- maybe three times per year. The rest of the time, I simply S&D. My ends, despite their thinness, aren't damaged, so I think I'm just going to gradually cut it and leave my hair at waist as long as it takes for the rest to catch up-- then I'll start growing to hip! (And beyond!)

Next time I start wondering about my hair... I'll return to this thread! You've all been so helpful! Thanks!

tolly
May 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
BSL would look best but MBL will be fine too then slowly trim the thin ends

FoxRain
May 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I say BSL. I know it's hard to cut that much, but you'll get a thick hairline then I think and it'll look a lot better!

Good luck!

tolly
May 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
oh I see you have already decided. I am very attached to length because I have never had long hair......hoping all the reading and research will get me there this time

Kherome
May 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I'm one of the APL votes. Your hair looks like it might be a bit dry and have some breakage damage. To arrest the damage and provide yourself with the best opportunity to have beautiful long hair, I'd go to APL and take really good care of it :)

share801
May 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
If that is how it looks after 4 years without a cut you have amazing hair. :) Mine grows very unevenly.

annieangel149
May 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
yep! BSL definetly! i had to go to the hairdressers today and have my damaged ends cut away! i was 2 inches from apl and now im back at shoulder length! im sad that my length is shorter but it just had to be done!!

Annibelle
May 16th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Okay, I've got some photos of what my hair looks like after the one-inch cut:

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P5163643.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P5163642.jpg

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P5163641.jpg

I think it looks better (besides the weird lump-- I haven't worn a ponytail in two weeks and I haven't worn my hair up at all in three days, yet I have weird lumps... *sigh*), but there are several factors at work here. Aside from the cut making these photos look better, my hair always looks dry and gnarled after a wash, and I had just washed my hair in my original photos I posted-- it's been two days since my wash in these photos in this post.

hime_daruma_88
May 16th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I would say BSL too, there's no doubt it will be worth it. :) It would grow back quickly but thicker and healtier.

Nymphea
May 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Well, it looks better already! Now you can keep that length and do a micro trims from time to time to improve the look of your hemline, or you can keep the waist length for some shorter or longer period, and then go to BSL if you're still not satisfied.

Looks really, really better! You did a good job, for sure!

share801
May 17th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Looks nice!

growingpains
May 17th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Major improvement! It looks good now. If you are happy with thinner ends then maintain there. It certainly looks good enough down to stay where you are, but I'd still opt for regular trims to thicken the hemline as you grow. Also, I second the whole no S and D thing. For those of us with thinner ends we really can't afford to make them thinner, microtrimming is a much better idea. I'm staying away from S&D now after how uneven and thin my hemline was getting. I've decided to only S&D the SUPER bad splits I find (i.e. a single hair with many splits). Aside from that I think if there are many splits it's time for a trim!

julliams
May 17th, 2011, 02:07 AM

This would be perfect!

ETA: just realised you have already had a trim. It looks nice. Perhaps just have an inch cut every 3 months until the ends thicken up.

Mesmerise
May 17th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I have been thinking about this. My own hair would look much better if I cut off 6"... but instead of cutting 6" all at once and then grow grow growing... I'm better off cutting 1/2" a month... at the end of the year I've still lost 6", but my hair will look better than if I cut off 6" all at once and then regrew, and I won't have lost any length at all along the way.

Sure it would take a year, but at the end of the year, I'd be in a better position than I would be if I cut it off all at once!

That's why I think it's best to go to WL and then maintain... because in a few months it will have thickened up just as much as if trimmed to BSL, but without the large loss of length, and with ultimately better ends!

Barniie
May 17th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I vote BSL - It is still a comfortably long length but it will rid you of the wispy ends. :) Nice hair!

annieangel149
May 17th, 2011, 03:07 AM
i've just seen your pic and i think that looks much better! by the way i see a guitar in the background! is that yours! just curious cos i play the guitar :)

myotislucifugus
May 17th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I'm glad you went with a waist length cut, I think BSL would have been unnecessary, and it looks really good now, because I think what really needed to go were the broken see through ends

celebriangel
May 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Oh, that's so much better! It's amazing how much difference sometimes a small trim can make.

I think the last 2 inches are still a little thin, but above there your hair looks wonderful, and you can see that those thinner ends you have are just racer hairs rather than damage. Which means that if you maintain at waist for, say, 4 months, you hair will be just perfect. Then you can continue growing! Yay.

Though I myself recently cut to remove layers, split ends and damage from BSL to just below APL (I say recently, but it's mostly grown back now), if I were at waist I must admit I would probably maintain too, particularly since your ends seem in good condition but just thin, so there's no danger of damage travelling upwards :)

Good luck! Will you report back in a few months when you've done your maintenance? I would love to see it then...

Annibelle
May 17th, 2011, 04:46 PM
i've just seen your pic and i think that looks much better! by the way i see a guitar in the background! is that yours! just curious cos i play the guitar :)

Hehe, nope, not mine! DH is obsessed with guitars and has at least one in practically every room... (we live in a tiny apartment, but still!) I've definitely considered learning how to play, but I'm much more interested in piano or violin... but I'd have to pay for those. :p

Annibelle
May 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Good luck! Will you report back in a few months when you've done your maintenance? I would love to see it then...

Thanks so much! I plan on maintaining at waist until the hemline thickens, and THEN I'll travel further toward hip. I might have to wait a while, but I think I'd wait for a year if that's what it took! And my hair grows slowly, so maybe that IS what it'll take... :( But it'll definitely be worth it! And I'll keep you guys updated! :D

celebriangel
May 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks so much! I plan on maintaining at waist until the hemline thickens, and THEN I'll travel further toward hip. I might have to wait a while, but I think I'd wait for a year if that's what it took! And my hair grows slowly, so maybe that IS what it'll take... :( But it'll definitely be worth it! And I'll keep you guys updated! :D

I don't think it will be too long...it looks like only about 2 inches. At a half inch per month that would only take four months, so I think you might find you're moving on in about 6 at most :)

Also, with more hair at your hemline you are likely to find it appears to grow a little faster. I often get a post-trim growth spurt if I haven't trimmed in ages. :cheese:

Annibelle
May 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Also, with more hair at your hemline you are likely to find it appears to grow a little faster. I often get a post-trim growth spurt if I haven't trimmed in ages. :cheese:

Ohhh, I hope that happens for me, too! My hair has been stuck around waist for, I dunno, two years? I hope it's not my terminal length. :{ My hairs really don't break off or anything, and they rarely split, so I'm starting to think my hair just won't grow any longer... but I've begun oiling and taking vitamins, so maybe that will help! :cheese: