PDA

View Full Version : Been neglecting my hair for a year

pittsburgpam
May 14th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I haven't been on here in a long time and basically been doing nothing to my hair. It's benign neglect, haven't abused it, but neglect all the same. It has grown to almost classic since I haven't even trimmed one bit.

I came back here a couple of days ago and after reading all the posts (again) I decided to "do" something so, last night I oiled my hair with shea butter and almond oil then braided it for bed. I washed it this morning, didn't comb it out or anything, and just let it dry while I went out to a farmer's market.

Oh my gosh! My hair is as soft and silky as a baby's. I'm trying to keep my hands out of it! I used Finese shampoo and a mixture of Fructus and Pantene conditioner.

I really need to do this more often and you all are an inspiration to take care of it.

long&blonde
May 14th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Wow, your hair is lovely, your post is my inspiration!

krissykins
May 14th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Ahh, benign neglect. I miss the days where I wasn't obsessively rubbing castor oil on my scalp and olive oil on my ends.

Welcome back! We're glad to have you :flower:

jojo
May 14th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Your hair looks beautiful so it works for you! I am on the road to classic though another 16" yet :( maybe I need to do this!

pittsburgpam
May 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
For a few years I was cutting off 2 to 3 inches every few months. While in the shower with conditioner in it I would comb it out straight, let water run over it so that it all came together into a point, and cut off the thin ends. It never seemed to get longer than waist length but duhhhh!!! I was cutting off the growth every 3 months. That old training of needing a trim.

Haven't done that at all in probably a year, I do S&D occasionally. I guess the constant cutting of thin ends has helped it be not too scraggly now. I rarely blow dry it. I did on Mother's Day (the sig pic) and before that was my son's Journeyman Carptener ceremony last November. I either wet bun or I twist it into one long rope to dry. I use a wide tooth comb and sometimes a wide bristle brush. I don't do ponytails and if I braid I leave at least 6 inches unbraided on the ends and use a safe hairband (not too tight).

Just needed to leave it alone and treat it gently.

jenhow
May 14th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Such beautiful hair!

jojo
May 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Great tips! I am dusting every 3-4 months as my hair is so fine it breaks if I go any longer.