PDA

View Full Version : I just snapped a Ketylo stick....

julliams
May 14th, 2011, 04:33 AM
making a hypno bun. I honestly didn't think this was possible! Anyone else done this? Can it be fixed? It's a dymondwood one. Does this mean I need a longer stick? I didn't think I was putting that much pressure on it but the hypno bun is so tight and secure I guess it was just too much for the stick. I guess I have thick and STRONG hair - lol.

CrystalStar
May 14th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I was looking up snapped hairtoys on the search feature yesterday and it seems a lot of people have had ketylos break right down the grain of the wood!

I received my first hair sticks yesterday and I'm terrified of breaking them.. they just seem like they couldn't possibly hold all my hair up! :p

julliams
May 14th, 2011, 04:41 AM
It's a real bummer because I really like these sticks and I really didn't think they could break under normal use.

CrystalStar
May 14th, 2011, 04:44 AM
A few people repaired broken hairforks and sticks with woodglue, it might be able to be saved!

No luck with superglue though, it tended to just re-break the minute it had any stress on it :(.

pepperminttea
May 14th, 2011, 05:09 AM
I managed this with a weaker wooden stick, but not a ketylo yet - I avoid doing the really super-tight styles for that reason (and, y'know, the scalp pain :p). Probably no need for a longer stick (unless your buns literally eat them so much they're unstable), just stronger sticks.

I'm not sure it'd be fixable - maybe if you post a photo of the break?

apynip
May 14th, 2011, 07:39 AM
wood glue or gorilla glue should patch that right up.

Kristin
May 14th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I'd contact Kevin. He might be able to fix it or give you advice.

Peanutter
May 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Wood glue tends to be stronger than the wood itself, but will remove any flexibility from that location, thereby putting more stress on the rest of the stick. If you use wood glue to fix, you just have to be more careful than you would ordinarily, but it should work fine.
If you've never used gorilla glue, I would be wary of using that, as it expands sooo much and can be messy, but depending on where the break is, any cosmetic flaws can be covered with the hair, as long as you can sand down any rough spots.

krissykins
May 14th, 2011, 08:41 AM
First of all, I would recommend not messing with it too much. Dymondwood has been treated with a lot of chemicals and you wouldn't want to expose that to your skin.

Secondly, shoot him an email and ask what should be done.

Also, what kind of stick was it? I think most people end up breaking a green acrylic he sells. I haven't heard of anyone breaking his dymondwood pieces, but it is possible you're not the first. Haha

Qamar
May 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Oh noes! I hate breaking a treasured hair toy.

renarok
May 14th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I have broken two. A beautiful green aquapearl and a light colored wood one. Can't remember the wood.... I am now very careful not to torque them, just carefully screw them in.

Sorry you lost a hair toy.:(

islandboo
May 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM
So far I have had no problem, but my hair is thin and probably doesn't stress the wood as much as some of you thicker haired folks

jojo
May 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM
:( hope you get it fixed; these are my favorite all time sticks!

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I had a similar incident with my wooden hair sticks a few months back. I asked a friend of mine how I could have done so since they were a solid wood, when they explained my hair was too thick. Since I found this out I make my own metal hair sticks now, maybe you should try metal instead of wood.