PDA

View Full Version : Semi-permanently green.

kettle
May 14th, 2011, 02:46 AM
I'm on the road to dying my hair green-blue with Manic Panic's Enchanted Forest. I have the dye; but receiving it in the post this morning has got me wanting some advice/information from those who've used this product in the past, before I just go slapping it on my head.

My bigggest concern is how quickly and thoroughly the colour will fade. I actually like my natural hair colour; I wouldn't like to have to grow out a green tint from my tailbone+ hair. How long did it take for your colour to completely fade? DID it completely fade? I've never used any other dyes, semi-permanent or otherwise. I have dark blone, verging on ginger hair - plenty of pictures in my profile. I won't be bleaching.

I guess that's the biggie. I'll be doing a strand test, and waiting a while before actually going through with it. I love the idea, but I'm after a sudden, temporary change. I want to be sure that's what this will be :)

Thanks for reading. Any other pointers or advice would be very much appreciated.

CrystalStar
May 14th, 2011, 04:42 AM
One of my friend dyed her hair using Manic Panic pink, and when she went to the hairdressers for them to do it and they completely botched it up! To make the dye go in really strong and vibrant, when you apply it try putting a plastic bag over your head and giving it a blast from the hair drier! I did this for my friend after the hairdressers didn't get the colour to stick and it came out BRIGHT pink, the way it was advertised. To make it last longer I'd suggest trying to stretch the washes a bit, and perhaps conditioner only washing.

It DOES completely fade, however my friend did have pale blonde/pink hair for a couple of weeks, which may be similar with yours fading, however with green tones. It does wash out eventually though so no worries on being permanently green! :D

squiggyflop
May 14th, 2011, 08:08 AM
um, ive used that exact color.. no it never completely faded. i had to cut it out.

but i didnt know about color oops back then.. so if you really need to you can force the color out with color oops

kettle
May 14th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Squiggy, I've never heard of color oops - just did a quick google. I wonder how damaging this would be. It is slightly scary that the colour stuck aorund for you. Research tells me how long it sticks around depends on the porosity of your hair. I have no idea how porous mine is. Perhaps I should find out!

CrystalStar, a green tint for a couple of weeks sounds absolutely fine! I don't mind if it sticks around for a few months, as long as it does go eventually.

I think at this stage what I'll probably do is a strand test, and then perhaps try a little bit on some of my ends, and see how long it lasts. I don't mind losing an inch or two; I'd be more than a bit gutted to have to chop it all off!

Thanks for your replies :)

Qamar
May 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Every time I've used Manic Panic it has completely gone in about two weeks, and usually less. CO washes will extend its life. My kids have had the same experience.

elbow chic
May 14th, 2011, 12:55 PM
That's exactly why I have never manic-panicked my hair. I have "the perfect" sort of hair for it, but if it doesn't wash out.... oooh, I would be so mad!

ElusiveMuse
May 14th, 2011, 12:58 PM
If you're applying it to non-bleached hair, it will eventually fade out. If your hair is more porous, it will take longer.

Roseate
May 14th, 2011, 01:02 PM
How long did it take for your colour to completely fade? DID it completely fade?

A long, LONG time. I used to do a MP purple, I forget the exact color name, and it took months to fade out completely. Maybe 6? It did eventually fade completely with no damage to my hair, but the last few months were a really unflattering bruise-y color, and I was pretty sick of it.

Maybe do a sizeable chunk on the underside of your hair first and see how it fades? Because IME, you have to live with the faded version of the color much longer than you get to enjoy the fresh brightness. I enjoyed my purple, but the fading was kind of a PITA.

kettle
May 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Roseatte, at the moment the underside idea is seeming like the best option; I'm thinking maybe the last inch of my taper, or just a small strand of my underneath. I'd actually be fine with it lasting a few months, just as long as it does go! Without having tested, I'm thinking my hair shouldn't be overly porous - I've never dyed or chemically treated it before. But I test might not be a bad idea, either.

I'm really appreciated the replies, thank you! I'm paying a bit more attention to those who flag up the sticking-around aspect, but I'm encouraged by those who say it'll wash out pretty quickly...

I do have a friend's wedding, and a couple of family occasions to consider...

May do a porosity test along with my strand test this evening. Thank you again to you lovely repliers :)

[edit]: Qamar, your purple highlights in your siggy are gorgeous!

Roseate
May 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
May do a porosity test along with my strand test this evening. Thank you again to you lovely repliers :)

Just a head's-up, that test may not predict how long it will stay. My hair is very non-porous by every kind of test I've tried, but it still held onto the MP longer than average, no idea why. Enjoy, green hair is fun!:D

kettle
May 14th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Just a head's-up, that test may not predict how long it will stay. My hair is very non-porous by every kind of test I've tried, but it still held onto the MP longer than average, no idea why. Enjoy, green hair is fun!:D

Thanks again :) I'll definitely track results! If I go for it, we all know there'll be pictures... :D

slz
May 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I will try this colour + a more flashy green (will mix the two unevenly) this summer when I'm on holiday - on my grey-white roots. So I can't help with your question BUT I'd love to see pictures once you've done it :D !

(ETA OMG 999 posts >< )

kaned_ferret
May 14th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I'm pretty experienced with the whole semi vegi dye mental colours thing, and firstly I wanted to say in my experience the results you get for both colour result and longevity are greatly affected by not bleaching your hair first - lovely damamged bleached white hair will make the colour look as it does on the given result swatches, anything other will be very different. Greens and blues in particular are very difficult to look good or stick to most hair, including bleached hair unless it has been bleached to hell and back. And even then once it starts fadig you can very quickly get moldy unflattering colours which then miraculously stick about seemingly forever..

I've done several shades of green and blue over the years, and I love it fresh but always hated the fade out. Because you are not planning on bleaching (go you, I'm glad I'm well away from my days of bleach and destruction now lol!) you will probably not get the most vibrant of results and depending on how your hair decides to grab it or not, you could be looking at a greatly reduced sticking time - or not at all for that matter, I have in the past tried some semi vegis on my virgin hair and they washed straight out with the first wash :/

I'm giving the downside/worst case to balance out the good here, I love greens but most definitely strand test first!! I like the idea of trying it on the bottom of your hair - if you only did the underside it wouldn't give a true result as the underside tends to stay more vibrant with semi colours as it is less exposed to sunlight and outside factors usually - I'd love to see pictures of the results you get!

elbow chic
May 14th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Hey, since there are some experienced MP dyers here: are there any semi-perm colors that fade to purple or blue? I think my hair might actually benefit from a super-faded blue or violet, so if that didn't wash out for months at a time I'd be more okay with that.

kaned_ferret
May 14th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Hey, since there are some experienced MP dyers here: are there any semi-perm colors that fade to purple or blue? I think my hair might actually benefit from a super-faded blue or violet, so if that didn't wash out for months at a time I'd be more okay with that.
I've used SFX more than MP, but it's all much of a muchness - I found that the SFX deep purple had a fantastic fade out on me, though once it went through lighter shades of purple it did eventually end up pink - the important thing to look out for is the base colour, so if you're looking to keep a blue/cool tone, I'd say get a purple that is a blue-based purple rather than a red-based one if that makes sense?

RitaPG
May 14th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Just wanted to add something; an underside strand test might not be very true. I dyed my hair purple a while ago, and the outside layers of hair (I think it's called canopy?) faded a LOT faster, probably due to sun exposure. Most of the purple is gone by now, but when I part my hair on the sides, there's still a lot of color in it.

Oh but do post pictures when you dye, I'd love to see the color :D

elbow chic
May 14th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I've used SFX more than MP, but it's all much of a muchness - I found that the SFX deep purple had a fantastic fade out on me, though once it went through lighter shades of purple it did eventually end up pink - the important thing to look out for is the base colour, so if you're looking to keep a blue/cool tone, I'd say get a purple that is a blue-based purple rather than a red-based one if that makes sense?

Makes total sense, thanks!

theodora
May 14th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hey kettle, color oops is called colour B4 in the UK and you can get it from Boots. It's really good and won't damage your hair. I used it because I died my hair mahogany (it's naturally blond) and realised I didn't want that much maintenance.
The application is quite strenuous though and it smells absolutely disgusting!

CrystalStar
May 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM
You could attempt to dye some shed hairs with it, and wash them the way you usually do along with your hair. May be a bit odd, but it should give a realistic idea? :D

kettle
May 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I just checked out this Colour B4 thing, cheers theodora :) I JUST did my test, with a bunch of hairs I trimmed last (had to have a little rummage through my bin... don't judge me!). Left some out for comparison, and dyed a snippet. Left the dye on for around 25 minutes (jar advises 15-30 mins).

Just took pictures. I've dabbed off my dyed specimen, and it seems dry and therefore hopefully the colour will be representative. I'll edit if it changes much. But here they are.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2585/5722628622_7165e02511.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/5722625202_f882e4a86c.jpg

I think I love it! It's a little darker and richer than I imagined, with more of a blue sheen in the light.

CrystalStar... it is actually tempting to use the snippet I dyed to see how quickly it fades. I CO normally, which might make it a bit awkward, though I may switch to more frequent shampoo when I'm after the colour fading... so it might be worth a go.

Lilli
May 15th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Wow. I can't wait to see your hair this color! But I worry that the fade-out will be unattractive...

Quahatundightu
May 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I am following closely, I always wanted to put some green in my hair.. I tried once with something like MP to do a part of my under layer but it didn't take at all. Love the colour, good luck!! :) I'm sure it will be gorgeous!

spidermom
May 15th, 2011, 04:45 PM
My daughter painted some MP atomic turquoise into the undyed parts of my hair last weekend, and it's completely gone already. The red-violet is Punky by Jerome Russell (Rose Red), and it lasts much longer. I think it took 3-4 months for the color to be gone completely last year.

RitaPG
May 15th, 2011, 04:54 PM
My daughter painted some MP atomic turquoise into the undyed parts of my hair last weekend, and it's completely gone already. The red-violet is Punky by Jerome Russell (Rose Red), and it lasts much longer. I think it took 3-4 months for the color to be gone completely last year.
That's interesting. I used Stargazers some-blue-color-that-turned-green and it took me almost two months to wash off :thud:

Messyhair
May 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Mine was never bleached prior to adding Manic Panic or similar temporary dyes, but the colour never completely vanished and had to be cut out every time. I had better luck with the pink shades, but it was still rather permanent, if very faded.

beccababesx
May 16th, 2011, 03:37 AM
No advice from here, but enjoy having green hair! I wish I had blonde hair and I could dye my hair fun colours like green or blue :(

stinamoo
May 16th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Do NOT use color oops or ColourB4 or similar colour removing products on vegetable dyes - they are designed to work on peroxide mix dyes which work in a very different way, and it will just damage your hair unnecessarily. Harsh shampoos or dish soap/washing up liquid would do a much better job at removing any lasting tints.

I think the green will be a fun change though :D

pink.sara
May 16th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Do NOT use color oops or ColourB4 or similar colour removing products on vegetable dyes - they are designed to work on peroxide mix dyes which work in a very different way, and it will just damage your hair unnecessarily. Harsh shampoos or dish soap/washing up liquid would do a much better job at removing any lasting tints.

I think the green will be a fun change though :D

Totally agree with this. Colour B4, colour oops, elimin8 and other colour removers/strippers remove oxidative dyes and will do precisely nothing for vegetable dyes like manic panic, stargazer, directions, pravana, etc. It will however smell like a dead fish on your head and dry your hair out. (I have used them many many times.)

On totally virgin hair you shouldn't be looking at a permanent stain, particularly as green and blue are very high maintenence, but you may be left a bit greeny tinged for a few months.

It is a lovely shade on your test piece though. Good luck if you decide to go for it :)

kettle
May 16th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Yikes, thanks for the heads up on the colour removers guys! I won't be doing that then!

I haven't even done the deed yet, and I'm already thinking about how to get rid of it if need be... I'll just do it, and deal with that if I need to. It sounds like the chances are it won't be much of an issue, anyway. I just like to be prepared :)

Spidermom, you're actually my main inspiration for trying this, I think your purple is truly lovely. Thanks for your input.

I've set the date for next Monday, purely due to the fact that it's my next day off - I'm working seven days this week, and I'd like to give myself time to do it and get used to it. I'm also a careworker, so I'm considering bracing my old ladies, though I'm hesitant to check whether or not my work allows unnnatural hair colours - I really want to just do it now. It's the one thing that's worrying me now, so perhaps I should just check with them...

All being well, photos on Monday. Thanks all.

[edit] I just checked with my manager (who is fantastic), and she's all for it and wants to see when it's done! :D Bless her!

Lilli
May 16th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I haven't even done the deed yet, and I'm already thinking about how to get rid of it if need be...

To me, this means you shouldn't do it. :-)

kettle
May 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
To me, this means you shouldn't do it. :-)

Nah :) I really want to, I'm just naturally too cautious. I actually think this is the exact reason this would be really good for me - I always um-and-ah, and never DO anything. Hair-wise and life-wise! I'm really looking forward to making a change, even if it's a fun, silly hair one :)

ashke50
May 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I just dyed my hair in purple streaks, and it is great fun!
I do wonder slightly how it will fade out, and whether I will have any trouble getting rid of it. However, almost all of the comments I have found online about Manic Panic are people complaining it washed out too quickly, not that it wouldn't wash out, so hopefully it will be fine.

kettle
May 24th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Guys, I just wanted to let you know that I did it! And I'm very happy with it. My housemate helped me - read, I sat still and held bits while she did all the hard work! I've posted a new "green" album on my profile for anyone who wants a look.

I'll do my best to record the fading process in this album, too. Though at the moment I'm so in love with it I'm thinking I'll try and maintain the colour for as long as possible.

Thanks for all your advice and support! :flower:

lilalong
May 24th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I just looked at your album and it looks great!!!!!

Unfortunately, my hair is too dark to dye it green without bleaching, but maaan, it looks awesome!

kettle
May 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Thank you so much, Lilalong! I'm really pleased with it. I'm sorry you're unable to dye without bleach :( Something this dark might leave quite an attractive highlight/tint in dark hair. It's a pain there isn't a kinder, bleach-free method, though!

slz
July 18th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Kettle, the wonderful results you obtained helped me take the plunge and do it - on my grey roots, since the lengths are far too dark unfortunately. So here are the results, on 2.5 months or so worth of roots :

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8293&pictureid=108153
(more pics in my "going green" album)

I couldn't get some enchanted forest readily, so I went with a mix of 2 different tones of Directions green (apple and alpine). I'll have to take outside pictures since those are quite crappy (cellphone + bathroom light ...).
I'm quite happy with the results, although it's going to get better once I get longer roots, I really like it already.

pink.sara
July 18th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Love your green results :) was just posting to say I was wrong on my previous post! Colour oops and color B4 claim to do nothing for veggie dyes like manic panic but after applying it to my purple streak I was mostly back to bleached White with a blue tinge, so removing it may well work for you.

Not that you'd want to that green is ACE! :D

GreenEyedKat
July 18th, 2011, 04:46 PM
um, ive used that exact color.. no it never completely faded. i had to cut it out.

but i didnt know about color oops back then.. so if you really need to you can force the color out with color oops

I'm having the same issue with a color that is semi-permanent, they not completely fading. I have to go a completely different route, but I have used color oops in the past. So great tip there!!!

Squiggy, I've never heard of color oops - just did a quick google. I wonder how damaging this would be. It is slightly scary that the colour stuck aorund for you. Research tells me how long it sticks around depends on the porosity of your hair. I have no idea how porous mine is. Perhaps I should find out!

As far as color oops, I used it after I had dyed my hair with permanent black! I rinsed and rinsed like crazy after I used the color oops. When I got out and my hair had dried, my hair was GORGEOUS, soft, manageable, etc. Color Oops really worked for me in that case! I had heard of it doing weird things to other people, but for me the experience was a great one!

kettle
July 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Kettle, the wonderful results you obtained helped me take the plunge and do it - on my grey roots, since the lengths are far too dark unfortunately. So here are the results, on 2.5 months or so worth of roots :

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8293&pictureid=108153
(more pics in my "going green" album)

slz, this is AWESOME. You're making me want to re-dye all over again!! I've stopped maintaining it and mine's nearly completely gone now. I still have a tub of Enchanted Forest left, so I can envisage doing it again at some point in the future.

pink.sara and GreenEyedKat, thanks for the info on ColourB4. My green seems to be fading reasonably well, though I did shampoo the heck out of it for about a week or so, for some reason. I think I wanted to know for sure it would fade. I'm back to CO now, and it still seems to be going very gradually. I'm not opposed to the strange, murky green it's faded to, so I don't mind it hanging around. But good to know ColourB4's an option, if I decided I needed it gone.

slz, off to look at your album now :)

[edit]: Thought I'd treat you to some fade-progress pics, since I just uploaded them! Please excuse messiness of Hair, I wasn't going to share these on LHC because of this, but they seem appropriate now.

First with flash, second without. Both clickable for bigger.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/5955278963_308d363bfa_m.jpg (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/5955278963_308d363bfa_b.jpg) http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6017/5955842168_57566d44ef_m.jpg (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6017/5955842168_57566d44ef_b.jpg)

Panth
July 20th, 2011, 03:40 AM
: Thought I'd treat you to some fade-progress pics, since I just uploaded them! Please excuse messiness of Hair, I wasn't going to share these on LHC because of this, but they seem appropriate now.

Out of curiosity, how long has it been between your last dye application and these photos?

kettle
July 20th, 2011, 05:46 AM
I last "topped up" my dye for my friend's birthday on June 9th, I believe it was either the 7th or 8th. Early June, at any rate. I mixed it with conditioner and let it sit for around half an hour, so it wasn't a "full on" dye. It looked like one though!

So those pics are around six weeks after any dye touched my hair. As I mentioned, I did shampoo with clarifying/anti-dandruff shampoo and increase my washes for around a week, when I suddenly decided it had faded enough to warrant this. The rest of the time I've just been on CO washes, and it still seems to be fading pretty well.

So well in fact, that people keep commenting that my hair's back to normal! (I can still see really obvious green in the length, but I guess my canopy is sun-faded too so looks even less green, and I nearly always wear my hair up.) I've even managed to secure I new job with this colouring, so either my new employers don't care about hair colour, or it's so inconspicuous they couldn't tell :p

IndigoAsh
July 20th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Manic Panic's colors always completely wash out of my hair by week 8. I have very porous hair.