PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

MindBeforeMouth
May 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM
So for my Aerobic Dance class, I just learned that we are going to be swimming in summer. I sound like such a girl but I don't want to mess up my hair. Not how it looks when I get out but the condition. I was wondering what everyone does when they go swimming. If they have any hairstyles they prefer or conditionings they do. Anyways, any helpfull tips are appreciated! :D

Dark Queen
May 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Well, it's been a long, long time since I've been swimming, but I used to braid it so it wouldn't get all tangled. I'd also wash and deeply condition right afterwards, because the chlorine can really dry up your hair. If I didn't fix it, it would feel like hay :(

Qamar
May 14th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I make a ponytail, braid it and add extra hairties every four inches down the length of the braid. It holds like a rock. Saturate your hair with club soda or plain water before swimming to minimize the chlorine it'll absorb, the rinse well after your swim and deep condition weekly. This works well for my almost classic hair, and I have almost no tangling.

Jemoiselle
May 14th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I saturate my hair in coconut oil root to tip, if I have time, sit in the sauna a few to help it soak in, sleekly bun it, and go. Works great for me, and in the end, everyone is going to have wet looking hair anyhow right?

pepperminttea
May 14th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I swim first thing in the morning once or twice a week. The night before, I do a very heavy oiling and then braid my hair in a single English braid. I sleep on it (silk pillowcase helps keep the fuzzies at bay), and don't redo the braid at all. Before I get in the pool, I get it saturated in shower water. After I swim, I just bun the braid until I get home, and then very loosely take out the braid to wash my hair without detangling at all. One wash later, I detangle as normal. I don't notice any extra damage this way (and trying to detangle the hair while it's got chlorine in... goodness no, it's like tacky straw). I do still get a bit of dryness compared to a wash without swimming first, but a lot less than I used to. Nevertheless, have your favourite deep moisture treatments at the ready. :)

CrystalStar
May 14th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I avoid swimming for all the same reasons as you, but there are ways around it.. If you get your hair wet in the showers before getting in, and heavily oil your hair, then braid it, a LOT less chlorine will be able to penetrate the hair shaft.

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I french braid the crown (part on my head) into three braids, then combined them into one ate the nape of my neck, after securing the end I pull it into a tight bun, after swimming i go home and condition the ever living daylights out of my hair ( i just undo the bun for this) then the next day i repeat after taking my hair out of the braids then I just let it dry*( side effect- lots of wavy hair)

Scarlet_Heart
May 14th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I agree with what the others said and would just add that if you're worried about any chlorine being left in your hair, you could try this shampoo. I use it after I swim and it's really good at getting the chlorine out. It's called "Ultra Swim"

http://www.ultraswim.com/

Firefox7275
May 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Smother in oil, braid and cover with a swimming cap. You shouldn't really use leave-in conditioner or body lotion before you go in a chlorinated pool as it combines with the chemicals (sudsy scum, mmm). And never go into a spa pool with a male you don't know or anytime you see suds or scum, it's probably bodyfat. :run:

charalito
May 14th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I swim 4 times a week and absolutely agree with the oiling and braiding method. It doesn't have to be really heavy oilings, just as long as you cover your braid lenght. And one thing I swear by are speedo silicone swimming caps. Worn properly, you can even manage to keep your hair dry (always surprises onlookers when I take the cap off and it's dry). I have used other brands and don't like them as much.

Cowgirl16
May 14th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I swim 4 times a week and absolutely agree with the oiling and braiding method. It doesn't have to be really heavy oilings, just as long as you cover your braid lenght. And one thing I swear by are speedo silicone swimming caps. Worn properly, you can even manage to keep your hair dry (always surprises onlookers when I take the cap off and it's dry). I have used other brands and don't like them as much.

How do you have your hair in the cap? Braided or just in a bun? and do you oil your ends even though your using the cap?
Thank you any informaton you can give me. We just put in a pool and I would like to enjoy it wihout sacraficing my hair :D

charalito
May 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
How do you have your hair in the cap? Braided or just in a bun? and do you oil your ends even though your using the cap?
Thank you any informaton you can give me. We just put in a pool and I would like to enjoy it wihout sacraficing my hair :D

I lightly oil from the ears down and then braid my hair (french, english, doesn't matter). Put the braid tassel up to my crown while I place the swimming cap and that's pretty much it. Last week the brazilian swimming team was training at my pool and many of the girls were longhaired aswell. Some of them bunned at the top of their heads.

My hair is type ii BSL and there's lots of room to grow in the regular speedo silicone cap, but on their website they are selling longhair versions of those fantastic caps (less colors, but who cares :) )

Cowgirl16
May 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I lightly oil from the ears down and then braid my hair (french, english, doesn't matter). Put the braid tassel up to my crown while I place the swimming cap and that's pretty much it. Last week the brazilian swimming team was training at my pool and many of the girls were longhaired aswell. Some of them bunned at the top of their heads.

My hair is type ii BSL and there's lots of room to grow in the regular speedo silicone cap, but on their website they are selling longhair versions of those fantastic caps (less colors, but who cares :) )
THANK YOU so much :D :D I am headed to their website now!

MindBeforeMouth
May 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the tips :). I'm going to try them out and see how they work. :)

Toadstool
May 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
And never go into a spa pool with a male you don't know or anytime you see suds or scum, it's probably bodyfat. :run:

Body fat:confused:?

Kaya
May 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Ok, so this may be a rather dumb question, but what the heck. I've been dying to know. :D

For those who oil their hair before swimming, are there any issues with the oil washing off in the pool?

MindBeforeMouth
May 16th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Ya and it olive oil ok? :)

teela1978
May 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
And never go into a spa pool with a male you don't know or anytime you see suds or scum, it's probably bodyfat. :run:

Body fat:confused:?
I'm with Toadstool. What?????? And not just the bodyfat. What's your issue with strangers in the hot tub?

ETA: when I'm swimming laps I'll wet my hair down, put it in a neatish pile on my head and then slap on a swim cap. If I'm not really lap-swimming, I just braid it, wet it down, and go have fun. Sometimes I won't even do that :) Personally I'm not one for letting my hair get in the way of doing fun stuff.

Justy
May 16th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I usually CO to wash my hair, would that be enough to get any chlorine out if i oiled and wet down before swimming, or would I have to use a shampoo?

I'm thinking of starting swim lessons, I can swim a bit but it's not pretty, so this topic is timely.

LadieRyrie
May 16th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I usually CO to wash my hair, would that be enough to get any chlorine out if i oiled and wet down before swimming, or would I have to use a shampoo?

I'm thinking of starting swim lessons, I can swim a bit but it's not pretty, so this topic is timely.

Same, same...I'm a WOer. And a swim cap hater. shudder: I guess oil and water is the way to go.

Allybean
May 16th, 2011, 01:16 PM
As someone who works in a pool, hearing that people put oil in their hair and them jump in the pool makes me sad. :( I really hate having to teach swimming in a gross pool. The oil can clog up the filtration systems, and which makes it harder to keep the pool clean. Or at least, that's what my bosses have told me about ANY styling products (including conditioner) or body lotion or things getting into the pool. It's why the health department, at least up here in WA, requires people to take a full soap shower before they get into a public pool. It keeps them cleaner longer.

Oil+a cap should be fine, as long as the oil doesn't touch the water. But if you're not going to cap, really, just wet your hair down, fully saturate it with water ahead of time, and then rinse as soon as you get out of the pool.

MindBeforeMouth
May 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Ya. I wasn't that sure about the oiling. I will probly just cover my hair in water, braid it tightly, and after put in leave in condioner. Then when I get home I'll probly just deep condition. :)

charalito
May 16th, 2011, 05:06 PM
For those who oil their hair before swimming, are there any issues with the oil washing off in the pool?

I oil either the night before or a few hours beforehand and always use a swimming cap, so there's no contact with the pool water and no washing off. It's just a preventive measure should I get any chlorine in my hair.

Kyla
May 16th, 2011, 05:32 PM
As someone who works in a pool, hearing that people put oil in their hair and them jump in the pool makes me sad. :( I really hate having to teach swimming in a gross pool. The oil can clog up the filtration systems, and which makes it harder to keep the pool clean. Or at least, that's what my bosses have told me about ANY styling products (including conditioner) or body lotion or things getting into the pool. It's why the health department, at least up here in WA, requires people to take a full soap shower before they get into a public pool. It keeps them cleaner longer.

Oil+a cap should be fine, as long as the oil doesn't touch the water. But if you're not going to cap, really, just wet your hair down, fully saturate it with water ahead of time, and then rinse as soon as you get out of the pool.

I completely agree with Allybean. I lifeguard and teach swimming, and let me tell you that oils, conditioner, other products, and even deodorant can mess up the chemicals and make the pool pretty cloudy and gross. I highly recommend oiling or conditioning beforehand, but please put on a cap. (You can even put on two, that sometimes holds it to the hair better) Also, always shower beforehand, in order to keep the water clean. Otherwise, just don't complain about swimming in a scummy pool! :)
I was going to give hair advice, but everybody already beat me to it. Darn, lol.

Qamar
May 16th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I was going to say, pool filter equipment doesn't like oils in the pool, but I've bene beaten to it. :) Thats why I saturate with water first, then rinse and condition/oil afterwards.

Justy
May 16th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the quick replies about the oil. I must admit I had visions of mini oil slicks as I've never mastered a good seal with a swim cap. A good clean water saturation before and rinse/conditioner after sounds like the way to go.

Allybean
May 16th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks for all the quick replies about the oil. I must admit I had visions of mini oil slicks as I've never mastered a good seal with a swim cap. A good clean water saturation before and rinse/conditioner after sounds like the way to go.

I'm in the water almost every day, for a few hours a day, and getting my hair wet before, and rinsing and conditioning after works fine for my hair. After I rinse and condition, I coat my hair in conditioner, and let it sit until I get home and take a real shower. I think that helps, too.

My hairdresser once told me that as long as I don't let the chlorine dry in my hair, I should be fine! I'm not sure if that's right or not, but so far, so good.

Hailes
May 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I'm in the water almost every day, for a few hours a day, and getting my hair wet before, and rinsing and conditioning after works fine for my hair. After I rinse and condition, I coat my hair in conditioner, and let it sit until I get home and take a real shower. I think that helps, too.

My hairdresser once told me that as long as I don't let the chlorine dry in my hair, I should be fine! I'm not sure if that's right or not, but so far, so good.
I swim a few times a week and after reading this so glad that I have been doing what everyone is saying, about wetting your hair first etc braiding it, then leaving a conditioner in a for a bit after. I never really used oil as with it having a spa etc your not suppose to go in the pools, jacuzzi etc with products on it has plenty of signs around! So glad to know that also if you dont let the chlorine dry in your hair it should be ok, I never let the chloring dry in my hair anywy! But I hate swimming caps so yes I will stick to what I am doing just maybe leave the conditioner on a bit longer! Thansk everyone :)

aspartame gram
May 18th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I'm actually rather fortunate. At my gym they use a salt water/saline pool, so it's not actually very harsh on my hair or skin. I love it! Only thing is that the water is freeeeeezing!

Jean Stuart
May 18th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I always have the intention to not get my head wet. But I always end up going under to chase the kids.

MindBeforeMouth
May 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I'm hoping we dont have to go underwater and we are just doing laps. Then ill just put my hair in a bun so it doesnt get wet. I'm not actually sure what we are doing thought. :/

Chetanlaiho
May 20th, 2011, 08:32 AM

I used to do that every week, for about six years straight ^^; (I'd leave the chlorine in for nearly a week too). It's the only real beating my hair has ever taken xD

Allybean
May 20th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I used to do that every week, for about six years straight ^^; (I'd leave the chlorine in for nearly a week too). It's the only real beating my hair has ever taken xD

When I was still a competitive swimmer, I had the worst habit of never rinsing or washing! My hair was really crunchy and gross....and a little green. Rinsing has definitely improved things for me!

Chetanlaiho
May 21st, 2011, 09:20 AM
When I was still a competitive swimmer, I had the worst habit of never rinsing or washing! My hair was really crunchy and gross....and a little green. Rinsing has definitely improved things for me!

I don't think I even rinsed it out halfway proper 90% of the time either ^^; I'd been doing it since I was quite young so I guess I always thought that my hair was supposed to be like that xD (I only ever tied it back in a tight ponytail anyway)

Now I'm actually afraid to go swimming even though I frikking love it, I don't wanna ruin my hair ^^; (I CO and I'm afraid it won't get all the chlorine out).

Chamy
May 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM
I feel ya! Its not that girly really. Best thing is to use a swimcap. There are some really cute ones out there, not just the silicone plain ones. But other than that, a good tip that has helped me while swimming is to really saturate your hair with water before you get into the chlorine(im assuming you meant you will be swimming in a pool with chlorinated water). And really moisturise it A LOT afterwords.