PDA

View Full Version : Geting the 'sock' in 'sockbun' with TB hair?

TheBluffs
May 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Yesterday, I decided to try a sock bun. Watching a video on youtube, I understood it as you take a sock, cut for a circle, then put in your hair like a scrunchy. Kind of fold your hair over that, and tuck in the ends.
But what happens when your 'tucking in ends' are at your hips? Are sockbuns for people with APL, and BSL hair? :confused: Or is there a way to do it with longer hair?

Ithildae
May 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I wrap the remaining length around between bun and head. Or braid it and then wrap. A picture with braided ends can be seen in my album.

heidihug
May 13th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Start the bun at the very tips of your hair, and wrap them around the sock. Roll up, redistributing the hair as you go. Fasten with pins when you can't roll it any further. It makes a massive head-eating bun. I am wearing one today.

Panth
May 13th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I wrap the remaining length around between bun and head. Or braid it and then wrap. A picture with braided ends can be seen in my album.

This.

Or do a fully-rolled sockbun, as Loepsie demonstrates on her youtube. Although I've never quite figured out how to do one of those and keep it all even.

Firefox7275
May 13th, 2011, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM

squiggyflop
May 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM
i like the fully rolled sock bun look myself, it makes the bun HUGE

BrightEyes7
May 13th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Wrap the remainder around the bun...

Or I like the look of a fully rolled sock bun... and since you have a lot of hair, you can use a smaller sock. Bigger sock...bigger bun!!

jojo
May 13th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I did my first sock bun curls yesterday and I am just past waist. I had to wrap the ends a few times before turning the sock but it worked out well!

ETA- I did the full roll. I had only done sock buns in the past by putting hair in pony and then brushing hair over sock or doughnut. i find the roll down method way easier and yeah huge fat bun too!

Jean Stuart
May 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM
I have a hard time with that too. the fully rolled seems daunting.

Cowgirl16
May 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM
My hair is past Classic and I can't do a fully rolled sock bun :( I dunno if it is the length combined with the thickness or what but I can't seem to do it. I've tried several times and about half way rolled it starts to get all tangled and hung up. :confused:
I have a mesh sock that I put my hair through, then fan my hair over it and secure it with a band, I then braid the remaining hair and wrap it around the base of the bun.

My Avatar picture is a sock bun :cool:

IvySchex
May 13th, 2011, 09:44 PM
My hair is pretty thick, is full waist length, and maybe just hit a straggling hip length. I do a sock bun (loepsie's way) almost every night. It does make a huge bun, so I don't wear it during the day, but I love to do it at night.

Ivy

MissManda
May 13th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I also love the fully-rolled sock bun! I love how huge and plush it makes my bun look and it is very comfortable to wear. I also think a sock bun with braided ends is very pretty, but my hair is too short and I can't make it look neat yet, even if I use two braids instead of one.

UltraBella
May 13th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Count me in too ! Love the fully rolled sock bun. My hair is hip length, very thick and layered but with a bit of practice it works fantastic !

Renbirde
May 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I've done the fully-rolled type on my thick classic-length hair, and it WASN'T headeating. :D It was reasonably easy to do too-- way easier than when my hair was at waist and layered (I don't have layers now). The sock is one of these (http://www.backcountry.com/smartwool-margarita-sock-womens?CMP_SKU=SWL0163&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&mv_pc=r126&mr:trackingCode=D89E93DD-F061-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA), in the black colorway.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3262&pictureid=80909

squiggyflop
May 13th, 2011, 10:23 PM
i found my picture.. i call it, super lumpy first fully rolled sock bun..

its a fine example of when you should redo the bun because its become too lumpy
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/firstfullyrolledsockbunAug24th2010watermark.jpg

so yeah, you can totally do a sock bun.. just try not to make it lumpy like my first one.. and yes i naturally have a weird light streak on my underside

Jemoiselle
May 14th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Add me to the crowd that likes the foam donut sock bun, hair pulled through and secured over the form, then the ends braided and wrapped around to kingdom come. When my hair was TB length, I did this all the time. The rolled sock bun looked awesome too, but I found it left my hair tangled and I had to put it through much more brushing to get it all sorted out. Made me less inclined to do that on a regular basis despite looking fabulous! I guess it depends on your hair type! Good luck and enjoy! I think it is one of the funnest styles, the braid wrap looks regal around the bun in my opinion. To us here, we all know how it's done, but to the rest of the world, they wonder how we did it :)