PDA

View Full Version : Protein?

Kristamommyx3
May 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
How do I know if my hair needs protein? I was considering using mane and tail again, just because I used it successfully years ago when my hair was waist length. However, when I looked it up in the " search", there was talk about protein overload and dryness. Any opinions on this?

krissykins
May 13th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Here's some food for thought (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44).

My hair always feels dry at the ends and no amount of oiling will tame it when it needs protein.

Jenn of Pence
May 13th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Here's some food for thought (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44).

My hair always feels dry at the ends and no amount of oiling will tame it when it needs protein.

Thanks for the link, Krissy; that's the article that immediately came to my mind, too.

I personally have trouble with too much protein, causing my ends to be dry and velcroey. But you can diagnose your own hair to see what it needs. Just remember to always moisturize thoroughly with any protein treatment! :)

BrightEyes7
May 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM
My hair tends to get stretchy and snap easily when it's in need of protein. Gets dry and brittle after protein overload.

Kristamommyx3
May 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Hhhmmm.... I will have to investigate some time soon. Thanks!

Anje
May 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I tend to have problems with protein, but some people really do well with it. Hair that has been bleached, permed, and in some cases colored practically requires occasional protein treatments. Protein treatments usually are drying and need a moisture treatment for a followup -- that's not always a bad thing, because the protein seems to help the moisture "stick". Lots of people love conditioners that include small amounts of protein in them.

If you want to use it or feel like you should based on your hair's behavior, power to you. Do make sure you're familiar with the symptoms of protein buildup, in case you overdo it. But don't be afraid -- it works for a lot of people.