PDA

View Full Version : Split Ends (after cutting hair)

Tennessee Rose
May 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hi everybody.

The other day I decided to trim my hair after six month to clean the ends a bit. I did not cut much, and I cut it with my hair wet.

Yesterday I saw thousands of split ends there. I cut like an inch, so the possibility of having not cut the split ends well is a bit remote. I don't use the dryer...well I caught a cold so I use it a bit, but only in the top of the head to prevent catching a flu or something.

So, I thought...can it be because scissors were not well sharpened? Do they make split ends?

By the way, today I made a bit of S&D. When should I cut my hair again? I use to wait 5-6 months.

Sorry for all those questions. And thank you for your answers.

salls
May 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I would think that it is due to blunt scissors or ones that were not designed to cut hair.

Sundial
May 13th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I agree with salls, that is usually the cause behind split ends that occur right after trimming

kyandii
May 13th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Blunt scissors definitely. Number one reason why I stopped going to my old hairdresser, her scissors were always blunt!

jojo
May 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I have to agree with the others.

squiggyflop
May 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM
ive done experiments with different scissors and my microscope (because i had WAY too much time on my hands)

freshly and properly sharpened scissors create a blunt end to the hair even under the highest magnification

dull hair scissors, created crushed ends which looked torn under the highest magnification

paper scissors SHRED the ends instantly. this is visible even under the lower magnifications and looks gruesome under high magnification.

(also dollar store hair scissors create the same ends as paper scissors)

so yeah, its the scissors

Fethenwen
May 13th, 2011, 12:17 PM
^ Wow, thanks for sharing!

Thank God I sharpened my scissors before doing a trim *sigh of relief*

Tennessee Rose
May 13th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Oops!!!

Answering all what you posted. Yes those scissors were for cutting hair, but i should have sharpened them properly.

So...I dunno if I should wait 6 more months.

Squiggy, what a detailed answer. Thank you!

Right now I'm hyper mosturising my hair with a mix of conditioning cream, aloe vera (a big leaf in its whole) and EVOO...so I can feel better at least, cause I don't think I am repairing anything.

Carolyn
May 13th, 2011, 01:52 PM
If you can, go somewhere like Sally's and get yourself a good pair of dedicated hair scissors. Those scissors should NEVER be used to cut anything but hair. Check for sales. You can get a good pair for around $40 give or take a little. I would suggest doing a lot of S & D on your ends. Nip off those split ends. It will take a while. Spend your evenings getting cozy with your new scissors. You also might want to consider oiling your ends. In maybe 3 months or so assess the condition of your ends. You may or may not need to trim again.

Tennessee Rose
May 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
If you can, go somewhere like Sally's and get yourself a good pair of dedicated hair scissors. Those scissors should NEVER be used to cut anything but hair. Check for sales. You can get a good pair for around $40 give or take a little. I would suggest doing a lot of S & D on your ends. Nip off those split ends. It will take a while. Spend your evenings getting cozy with your new scissors. You also might want to consider oiling your ends. In maybe 3 months or so assess the condition of your ends. You may or may not need to trim again.

I really appreciate your comment. But it is impossible for me to go to Sally's since I live in Spain...hehe.

I used to oil my hair twice a week time ago, but jojoba oil was so expensive that I started using EVOO (since we have a lot here) and then I forgot about it. Now I use a mix of conditioning cream+ aloe+ evoo once a week (and conditioner after every shower...of course!), but anyway I will try to do the oiling thing again 'cause it was a good routine. And yes, I'll buy some good scissors and try to make a lot of S&D.

allmixedup88
May 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Now I'm scared to get my hair cut, lol
How ca I tell if the scissors are sharp enough?

Mesmerise
May 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM
If you don't have a local shop where you can purchase hair cutting scissors from, you should be able to buy some online.

I personally think it FEELS different snipping your hair when you've got sharp enough scissors. Good ones just slice through the hair well, in a way others don't!

My trimming scissors were just a cheap pair that came in a set with some clippers, but I found out that they worked really well for S&D, and I also use them to trim now with Feye's method. I don't get split ends from them either!

I think the best thing you can do is get yourself some reasonable hair scissors, and then give yourself a microtrim to cut off those new split ends.

spidermom
May 15th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Another possibility is that the split ends that you are seeing now were hiding in your length before the trim, and now that you've cut back to their level, they are more obvious to you.

squiggyflop
May 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
spidermom is right, it could be that the splits were hiding if there arent that many..

ive gotten 3 people asking me which scissors i used that gave the hair blunt ends even under the microscope. they were 16$ goody brand all titanium hair scissors from walmart. they are the ones that are completely metal not the ones with plastic handles. they were fresh out of the package when they gave the blunt ends even under highest magnification. i got them from an urban walmart. the ones in the suburbs dont always have the all metal ones. i suggest buying new ones every 10 months if you trim often like i do. im always trimming because my hair grows unevenly. it costs more to sharpen them than to buy new ones. they make for great fabric scissors when they are retired from hair duty

askme
May 16th, 2011, 10:41 AM
well i had the same problem and i started using [Mod Edit: item/description removed] and now i dont have any split ends and i really suggest this oil its pretty good :) :cheese: ;)

CrystalStar
May 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
You will definitely be able to find salon quality scissors online! Don't think of it as a cost, a pair of high quality scissors is an investment that will last years and save you thousands in salon visits for trms and shape-ups!

Anje
May 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I'd suggest getting a fresh new pair of hair scissors (unless you can get them professionally sharpened locally) and trim a tiny bit ASAP. Letting the splits stay there for months won't do you any good and might lead to more damage.