PDA

View Full Version : Seemingly successful repair job!

buttercupmcgee
May 13th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Last week I used a curling iron and hairspray 4 times for job interviews (I still haven't found the heatless curling method that makes me look presentable. I always get weird bends and triangle-head.)

Anyway, I was crushed because I'd made it 3 months with no heat. My hair is at my shoulders now and I'd like to make it to 2012 with no trims (hence the lack of heat rule!) My ultimate goal is mid-back.

So, after I did a clarifying wash to get the gunk out last Saturday, I decided to wash my hair only once this week--today. Each morning since last Saturday I've done a light oiling, and then last night I coated my hair in EVOO and left it on over night.

I'm happy to report my hair is like satin today. It actually looks better than ever---shiny, supple, and happy. What a relief. It was feeling particularly sad and crunchy after last Saturday's wash, and I was worried I'd done permanent damage. I've never used EVOO before, usually I use Jojoba, and I am thrilled at the results.

I also think not washing it for 5 days (horrible as it was at times) was really the key. Does anyone else's hair love to be left alone after being traumatized?

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else needs a remedy. I'd also love to hear about what's worked for others in this situation!

cheetahfast
May 18th, 2011, 06:46 AM
My hair loves being left alone in general. It's very curly and if I touch it, it will frizz out. It was dry and slightly damaged from years of straightening, daily washing, and blow drying.

I cut off about 6 inches of damange last year and I tried NW/SO, which my hair seemed to like, but now I wash 2 or 3 times a week, since I do intense workouts and think the sweat might make my hair smelly (ewww!). I've found oiling makes my hair much nicer when styling.

Also for me using a gentle shampoo has really made a difference too.

Jean Stuart
May 18th, 2011, 07:05 AM
glad a little pampering made a difference.

littlenvy
May 18th, 2011, 07:38 AM
My hair loves to be left alone. It looks its best on the 2nd and 3rd day after wash. After that it feels great and behaves great but doesn't look all that well.
And my hair does love EVOO. :) I get the same soft silky effect as you.

However, damage is damage and while you can hide it and even make the hair look like it didn't happen, over time it will show up.

celebriangel
May 18th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Have you tried Curlformers? I admit I haven't used them myself, but in the photos I've seen they seem to produce regular, even curls much like the ones you get with a curling iron.

Anyway. How come you needed to curl your hair for interviews? I mean, you are prefectly free to curl your hair if you like to, of course, but you seemed so reluctant to curl and worried about the damage I did wonder why you didn't just do a french twist or do hair wrapping to get it straight or something.

In any case, did you wash gently rather than brush the hairspray out? From what I've heard, the damage hairspray does mostly happens when you bru**** out, and the hair is stuck so you get this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

(scroll down for picture of hairspray damage) I was almost more worried about the hairspray than the curls, to be honest. But I'm happy to hear you think it's been okay! Might it be worth doing a protein treatment then a moisturising one to restore your hair some more? I hear that's the ticket for heat and chemical damage.

Unofficial_Rose
May 18th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I can relate re damage for interviews. I've just had some layers cut in to get rid of some old henndigo - but even blowdrying doesn't make it look good now - I've had to flatiron it, just so that it doesn't look stupid. :rolleyes:

Glad the EVOO worked for you - it's the best oil for my hair as a prewash treatment (although bhringraj is excellent too).

If I'm staying at home or even meeting friends, I can live with it looking silly for a few weeks. Interviews though - economic reality dictates looking your best and feeling confident.

growingpains
May 18th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Don't worry a little heat won't stop you growing to MBL! I used heat from years and am currently there. If you use heat every day it'll be a problem, but a couple times? No biggie!

jojo
May 18th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I use heat occasionally, theres times you just got to! If I have abused my hair with heat, i always pamper it and yes EVOO is my oil of choice too!