PDA

View Full Version : Props to an awesome hair stylist!

Fencai
May 13th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hi Family! Its been a looooooooooong while since I posted! Been through some life changes (all for the better) but figured I'd start with the praise of a hair stylist! (And sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share a great hair experience with you all!):cheese::cheese:

Well, for the first time in four years, I decided I needed a hair cut. My ends were radegy and yucky, and it just looked lifeless. Not to mention, that I couldn't stand the fly-aways any more, and I think pulling the hair straight back into buns is just starting to look too harsh.

A couple weeks back DBF decided it was time to donate his hair (the donatable length was 16" from rubber band to tip! He cut more than that cause he ended up with a crew cut when he was done.. lol It looks great and he grows and donates regularly so it'll be back in no time) so I went to FX Studio (http://www.fxstudios.com/fitness/Hunt-Valley.aspx) in Hunt Valley where he went.

First off, the salon is amazing! I can't speak highly enough about it! I'll definitely go back for other services.. besides where else can you go that they give you free cold stone ice cream, wine, beer and drinks!? They also have movie theatre size screens that you can watch from your individual room, no open floor, you have total privacy for your time there! Also as I was waiting, the nail lady came through looking for her other client, and couldn't find her so we started chatting. She ended up giving me her card and a discount for a pedicure!

I was really nervous going in, as like I said, it had been 4 years since scissors touched my hair.

Kim was my stylist, and she talked with me for a good ten minutes before we did anything. I told her about my hair history, what had worked in the past, what didn't. My daily routine and the level of styling I felt I am able to do on a daily basis. Exactly what I was looking for in a cut and style. I told her I wanted to keep the length, but needed some style added to it. I also told her that with the wave in my hair, no razor cuts. She agreed and smiled and said, we'll take it slow, and you can see what we're doing.

Oh! And the salon uses all really great products! No junked up stuff! :)

She washed my hair and conditioned it (all the time I had a hot towel on my face that had a LOVELY aromatherapy oil on it... that was nice!) Not once did I feel her nails on my head, it was a really nice soothing shampoo and massage.

Then she started the cut. I was comfortable enough with her, that I let her cut about 2" off the total length. And while it looks so short now to me, it still hits my bra strap, but looks soooooo much healthier. She then cut in some long layers, and even though we were ultimately going with a side part for the style, she took her time and made sure it was even side to side, so if I wanted to part in the middle it would look ok.

After the layers, she did a little bit of face framing layers, and then put in an awesome smoothing cream, and suggested we dry it just a little bit so that she could see what my natural wave would do before she cut in a thin side swept fringe. I agree, and she went to work. She was so gentle and kind to my hair!

We then cut in a small fringe. after it was all done, she showed me exactly how much product to use and exactly how to style it.

I couldn't have been more pleased with my expirience and anyone who's in the Baltimore area... please go see Kim! PM me and I'll give you her info and her exact hours!!! She really took her time. I was there almost an hour and a half for the cut and style.

I LOVE the new style and am so happy that I did it, and will keep Kim in the phone directory! She understood my goals and kept to exactly what I wanted her to do!!!

and yes... as soon as I can get DBF to take a pic.. I'll post a new pic.. cause as we all know... no pic... it didn't happen :p

pepperminttea
May 13th, 2011, 06:55 AM
First off, the salon is amazing! I can't speak highly enough about it! I'll definitely go back for other services.. besides where else can you go that they give you free cold stone ice cream, wine, beer and drinks!? They also have movie theatre size screens that you can watch from your individual room, no open floor, you have total privacy for your time there!

I hope you don't mind me asking, but with those kind of facilities; how much did the cut cost? Sounds like they really pampered you! :)

Fencai
May 13th, 2011, 07:01 AM
no worries... it was $50 flat for the whole thing. I decided that I was willing to pay a good price and go to a nice salon

spitfire511
May 13th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Wow!! So glad you had a nice experience - sounds like you were pampered for sure! :) I think we need to see pics of the new style :D

growingpains
May 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
no worries... it was $50 flat for the whole thing. I decided that I was willing to pay a good price and go to a nice salon

Wow, in the city I live in a standard women's cut at a high end salon is upwards of $75... (I pay $30 :) at a very old school place with one lady who works there and owns it. She's the best ever).

Glad you got what you wanted!! yay

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 08:09 PM
wow that sounds really cool, I self trim most of the time so paying 50$ for salon quality, not so horrible.:)

HintOfMint
May 14th, 2011, 08:11 PM
She sounds awesome! Might be in the area this summer, so I might stop in!

xoerincolleen
May 14th, 2011, 09:15 PM
That sounds amazing! And you got all that pampering for only $50? I might have to head up there when it's time for my next trim!

Mesmerise
May 14th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Wow, sounds great! And $50 sounds amazing for the service you got. I go get a trim and it costs me half that :rolleyes: and errm that's with no washing or anything either. And usually takes them 10 minutes.

Sounds like a great experience!

gthlvrmx
May 14th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Wow that's great! So much pampering! :D
I think my low price of a trim (10$ for 2 inch, 5$ for 1/2 or dusting) is rather cheap compared to that, but i do not get all that special treatment! Wish i did. I'm glad you are happy with your trim and Kim!

Jean Stuart
May 14th, 2011, 09:39 PM
50 seems a small price for such a great time.

UltraBella
May 14th, 2011, 11:44 PM
So glad you had a wonderful experience !!!! Thank you for sharing it with us :)

HintOfMint
May 15th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Oh damn, I just realized, I had JUST cut my hair a month ago and I'll only be in the area for the summer.

But but but... I want the hot towel and scalp massage and wine!

Dragon
May 15th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Thats great news, I'm glad you had a good experience :)

jenhow
May 15th, 2011, 01:03 AM
It sounds like you were really lucky in your hair stylist and the pampering sounds divine :).

Qadupae
May 15th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Man, that place sounds fantastic! I would pay 50$ for that ^_^

Fencai
May 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I know! Its great! Im gonna hit the spa portion for some of their other treatments!

hintofmint-take your biotin so you can get a trim this summer! :) LOL
its well worth it!

hs_atreides
May 16th, 2011, 08:57 AM
THat's the stylist I want to be--the one that listens to the client and absolutely commited to doing what the client feels comfortable with. Not scissor-happy!
I am very happy you had such a wonderful experience!