PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you have a 'Farrah Fawcett" hairstyle??

Thumper
May 13th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I am interested in maybe changing my look. Right now my hair is straight and just past BSL. It's also all one length. I've been watching some 'how too' videos on youtube and most say that you need to have layers for this look? I don't know if I want to start chopping my hair. My hair is already very fine and I know that most say that layers make your hair "look" fuller and longer even, but in reality I would have less hair! I've had the long straight look for so long now and I'm kinda wanting a change. I'd love to hear from any ladies that have this look and how you find it?

Thanks!

WaitingSoLong
May 13th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Yeah I don't think that can be done without layers at least around the face. I have not persoanlly had that type of style but I have had a shag cut and sported it for years and liked it a lot. I think some of those styles are pretty dated, depends I guess.

MonaLisa
May 13th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I'm personally big fan of layers..can't imagine not having them.
What you should pay attention to, if you decide to go for it is how they are cut.
You shouldn't let stylist thin out your hair, and also...try not have deep layers, i don't know how to call it..
It's different if you layer 1/3 of your hair ( on surface) and 2/3...which leaves the longest layer really thin and not healthy looking in my opinion.
They will give you more texture, and ability to make some sexy styles, your hair will be a bit lighter, and at least mine gets more volume, and yet if it done properly you won't lose any length.
you should also start with long layers, and remember you can always cut more if you like it :)
Also, are you planning to heat style a lot for this different look? You said your hair is straight..
I hope you can avoid that, and grow your hair long and healthy :)

torrilin
May 13th, 2011, 06:40 AM
It takes a lot of hairspray, hot rollers, and a layered haircut with bangs. Since you're listing your thickness as i, odds are it will not be possible for you to get the look the way Fawcett does. Your hair is thinner than hers, and your hair texture is finer. That means the clumps your hair naturally makes are going to be smaller and more delicate.

It is common for hairstylists to say layers make hair look fuller, and they're right... but only when they're talking about someone whose hair is the sort where getting longer stretches out their curls or waves (and this is a fairly common hair type... my husband and his sister both have it). For the rest of us, nope. Layers make our hair shorter and thinner looking.

If you're willing to do the upkeep needed, and you don't freak out about your hair clumping into rat tails or mouse tails, the Fawcett style might work well for you. I'm too damn lazy, so I stick with fairly blunt hair.

Carolyn
May 13th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Torrilin is exactly right about layers in "i" hair. Very good advice.

I have had a Farrah cut. It was way back in the day. My hair is on the oily side and it doesn't hold a curl well. I am guessing that your hair might be similar, at least with the not holding a curl well part. I washed and hot rolled my hair daily. I also used a curling iron to get the wings to flip back properly. It had to curled because with that cut left straight, my hair looked like a chopped up mess, which it was. I went from past mid back, all one length hair to uber layers. I was used to being able to do ponytails and half ups in addition to wearing my hair down. I remember being so frustrated that I couldn't even do a simple ponytail anymore without the aid of a lot of bobby pins.

I remember having directions from a magazine article for the cut. It was layered all over. There was a sketch showing the lengths for the layers. I wish I still had it or could remember the lengths. I'm sure there are lots of variations on the cut that maybe wouldn't have as many layers but this supposedly was the real Farrah cut. I looked really good in it but it was very high maintenance and super limited in styling options. I can tell you I would never do it again.

Thumper
May 13th, 2011, 01:01 PM
.........I looked really good in it but it was very high maintenance and super limited in styling options. I can tell you I would never do it again.

I guess you're right. I do really like the look, but my hair does NOT hold a curl well. Speaking of curls, how do you get the look in your signature??? What absolutley stunning....STUNNING hair you have!

Carolyn
May 13th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I guess you're right. I do really like the look, but my hair does NOT hold a curl well. Speaking of curls, how do you get the look in your signature??? What absolutley stunning....STUNNING hair you have!Thank you :flowers: My curls that day were done in a salon with a curling iron. I had my hair colored and trimmed. I like to let my stylist have at it with the blow dryer and heat styling. I rarely do it at home and my salon appointments are usually about every 4 months. It's so much fun to have my hair styled like that. But the curl usually only lasts a short time. On a good day that type of curl would last 2-3 hours if I was lucky. On a sweaty hot humid day, they would be gone within the hour. I'm glad I have my curls captured on film for posterity :D

heidihug
May 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM
My hair is also straight and fine. I tried for years and years in the '70's and '80's to have Farrah-type hair. Epic fail, every cut and every perm. Ugh. What a nightmare. Layers just make fine and thin hair look even finer and thinner. And stringier, in my case.

My siggy pic is like Carolyn's in that it's a rarity, but mine is even moreso - a once-a-year event that requires an all-day effort that includes careful curling using perm rods in the morning, leave-in product, cool blow drying for about a half-an-hour, lots of hair spray, and no movement until after I get a picture. Then, by the end of a four-hour night out my hair is simply slightly wavy and tangled beyond belief, too.

squiggyflop
May 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM
eeeek my hair does this naturally!.. thats one of the main reasons i grew my hair out, to keep myself from having farrah hair.

how did i get the hairdo, well.. i have this huge curl pattern.. all my hairs grow with a 2-3 inch diameter curl pattern.. so you would likely need rollers that big.. my hair is just so darn flippy.. ugh, i would get questions about it all the time "you do know its not the 70's right?".. now that my hair is long the weight of the hair pulls the flippy curls into waves, unless its in a ponytail, then it forms a huge spiral curl

as to keeping hair to curl, i have more luck with drying my wet hair into curls than using heat to set them..

eta: evidence of giant curl pattern (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51856)

HereIGrowAgain
May 13th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I would say don't do it. My aunt has had this hairstyle for... forever, and she has your hairtype. It looks fluffy when she first styles it, but after an hour or two it starts to go into mullet territory. She's not shy with the styling products, either.

I would recommend long layers, and some blunt-ish bangs. It'll give you some interest in your length, and you can have fun pushing your bangs this way and that. I think it would keep your look a bit more up-to-date, and you won't have to worry about the style drooping during the day.

When my hair was longer, I had three distinct layers cut into my hair; one at shoulder, one at APL, and the longest was nearly BSL. You couldn't see the levels when it was dry, but it was really really easy to make sure the same hairs got trimmed every time. That greatly reduced the visible split ends that were up for S&D.

alyanna
May 13th, 2011, 03:05 PM
It takes a lot of hairspray, hot rollers, and a layered haircut with bangs. Since you're listing your thickness as i, odds are it will not be possible for you to get the look the way Fawcett does. Your hair is thinner than hers, and your hair texture is finer. That means the clumps your hair naturally makes are going to be smaller and more delicate.

It is common for hairstylists to say layers make hair look fuller, and they're right... but only when they're talking about someone whose hair is the sort where getting longer stretches out their curls or waves (and this is a fairly common hair type... my husband and his sister both have it). For the rest of us, nope. Layers make our hair shorter and thinner looking.

If you're willing to do the upkeep needed, and you don't freak out about your hair clumping into rat tails or mouse tails, the Fawcett style might work well for you. I'm too damn lazy, so I stick with fairly blunt hair.

THIS!

I had the Farrah Fawcett hairstyle and absolutely adored it, but that was about 12-13 yrs ago when I was a solid ii and a 3a at least. I tried to get a similar cut about 5 years ago and it was an absolute nightmare. Your hair is quite long and I don't think it will hold that many layers (from fringe, or even chin, all the way down) very well at all. By the time you reach the longest layer, you'll have about 10 hairs left.

What did work, is the Heidi Klum shag. That was my last haircut before deciding to go long. That was pretty and the layers worked well on my fine hair. Looked kind of trendy and retro at the same time and styled really well too. But of course that's a shoulder length haircut ;)