PDA

View Full Version : supplements vs shampoos

Brenna
May 13th, 2011, 01:02 AM
okay, first off I have wavy to very loosely curly hair. am wanting to grow my hair. I had very thick hair, not so long, until I had kidz. and it still won't stop falling out, lol. so now I'm considering supplements for my hair or special shampoos or whatever to help it out. any ideas?

oh, also, I have used dr. miracles and while it works great - its just too greasy and my hair is already greasyprone.

so, any ideas?

Sharifa
May 13th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I've heard that prenatal vitamins and Biotin work very well for growing nails so they might work for hair as well. I don't think any shampoo would help though. Have you consulted a doctor? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will reply soon. Good luck!

nazzooyzo
May 13th, 2011, 05:07 AM
havent used it myself but a lot of people on this forum say castor oil is good to gain thickness. and i use daktarin which helps with length for a lot of people

pepperminttea
May 13th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Post-partum sheds are common, but if it's been a long while and it's still going, please see a doctor. It might be indicative of something more serious. (Hopefully not - but it's good to check these things out. :))

WaitingSoLong
May 13th, 2011, 06:07 AM
MTG and monistat are the first things to come to mind. MTG is a horse topical application, not only is it greasy but it smells like bacon. LOL. Works, but not really worth the mess IMO. The key ingredient is sulfur and I know it can be bought in powdered form and mixed in with poo or condiotioner but I have never bought/tried it. Monistat has a whole following here on LHC. I also found it greasy because I was too poor to afford the name brand stuff which does not use mineral oil. Nothing I have ever tried has increased my growth but....

I will give a thumbs up to castor oil as I use it on my lashes and brows and it seems to be very effective. I won't use it on my hair except in wash-out treatments because of the grease factor. I was using it as a scalp rub but it was just too messy for me.

As for shampoos, well, if any part of the problem is fungal, shampoos can help.

Welcome to LHC and I hope your shedding stops, soon, but hormones can longer for quite some time postpartum.

twilightmom
May 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM
MTG and monistat are the first things to come to mind. MTG is a horse topical application, not only is it greasy but it smells like bacon. LOL. Works, but not really worth the mess IMO. The key ingredient is sulfur and I know it can be bought in powdered form and mixed in with poo or condiotioner but I have never bought/tried it. Monistat has a whole following here on LHC. I also found it greasy because I was too poor to afford the name brand stuff which does not use mineral oil. Nothing I have ever tried has increased my growth but....

I will give a thumbs up to castor oil as I use it on my lashes and brows and it seems to be very effective. I won't use it on my hair except in wash-out treatments because of the grease factor. I was using it as a scalp rub but it was just too messy for me.

As for shampoos, well, if any part of the problem is fungal, shampoos can help.

Welcome to LHC and I hope your shedding stops, soon, but hormones can longer for quite some time postpartum.

Does the castor oil help grow the lashes and brows or does is just conditon them?

Brenna
May 13th, 2011, 10:44 AM
okay, thanx. just last night I tried for the first time conditioner-wash-conditioner. it looks a bit nicer to day. will have to see how that goes. okay, maybe I'll check out more vitamins then.

Firefox7275
May 13th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Welcome! :) If you have a healthy diet you shouldn't need supplements, unless prescribed by your doctor for a specific medical condition. Nutrients work synergistically and in opposition - supplementing one or a small group can do more harm than good. :( Do you meet or exceed your government's recommendations for healthy eating?

Brenna
May 13th, 2011, 10:51 PM
No, diet is something that I'm working on. but because of my health issues, I can't eat all foods that have all the healthy stuff in it because I really should stay away from high sugar fruits & veggies, etc.

so, yes, i do need some supplements. but not too many because then I'll get sick.

Firefox7275
May 14th, 2011, 03:27 AM
No, diet is something that I'm working on. but because of my health issues, I can't eat all foods that have all the healthy stuff in it because I really should stay away from high sugar fruits & veggies, etc.

so, yes, i do need some supplements. but not too many because then I'll get sick.

I would be happy to make some suggestions if you would like to let me know what your health issue is (I do nutrition consults IRL). :o If you are diabetic/ PCOS or similar are you familiar with the glycaemic index?

jojo
May 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Agreed with the resident nutritional expert Firefox. I am also a healthcare professional and would strongly advise against any unnecessary supplements.

Brenna
May 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
yes, I have pcos. the biggest problems i have is finding something simple to make when I need a quick snack and I'm super tired.

Firefox7275
May 14th, 2011, 04:57 PM
yes, I have pcos. the biggest problems i have is finding something simple to make when I need a quick snack and I'm super tired.

Has anyone from your medical team gone over the glycaemic index? You certainly do not have to avoid fruit, just limit certain fruits and always combine carbohydrates with a protein source. Fibre and fat also reduce the GI of a meal/ snack, but obviously fat needs to be moderated. Soluble fibre is best (beans, lentils, jumbo oats, barley, many fruits). Make life easy by filling your cupboards and freezer with foods that require no prep - frozen veg, frozen berries, canned tomatoes, canned or dried tree fruits, canned beans and lentils. Rice can be cooked and refrigerated or frozen, reheats in microwave with a splash of water - brown basmati is lowest GI. Even bananas can be frozen so they don't go overripe and become higher GI.

Quick and easy low GI snacks

Baked beans, squirt of tomato paste plus half fat grated cheese
Houmous with raw vegetable sticks and brown pitta fingers
Grilled pineapple cottage cheese on wholegrain granary toast, side of canned red grapefruit (drain juice)
Nut muesli, chopped green apple, canned sliced peach (drain juice), and plain yoghurt (own muesli from jumbo oats, barley flakes, flaked almonds, walnut pieces)
Berry smoothie (blend frozen berries, 1 banana, milk powder mixed with plain yoghurt OR coconut milk)
Microwave scrambled eggs with baked beans, squirt of tomato paste
Fruit salad and canned evaporated milk (unsweetened) - canned red grapefruit, chopped green apple, frozen berries, sliced banana. Sprinkle with walnut pieces
Vegetable omelette - dry fry in non stick pan, fill with frozen mushrooms and frozen bell peppers. Serve with wholegrain granary bread
Cinnamon toast (soak wholegrain granary bread in whisked egg, dry fry in non stick pan) sprinkle with ground cinnamon and sliced almonds. Serve with frozen berries and canned sliced peach (drain juice)
Microwave baked sweet potato filled with low fat soft cheese, side of frozen broccoli or cauliflower
Microwave sweet potato wedges covered with frozen chopped bell peppers, chilli sauce and half fat grated cheese
Fish pate (mash canned pilchards in tomato sauce with low fat soft cheese) served with brown pitta fingers and raw vegetable sticks.

For an actual meal
I always make double as I am too lazy to cook daily, it's quickest if you defrost stuff in the fridge the night or morning before.

Salmon spaghetti with green vegetables - canned pink salmon, frozen French beans, frozen broccoli florets, lemon juice, low fat mayonnaise, black pepper to taste. Heat fish and veg through, cook brown pasta mix and serve.

Spaghetti and 'meatballs' - jar ready made tomato sauce (no added sugar), frozen bell peppers, frozen Quorn meatless balls. Heat through, cook brown pasta mix and serve.

Lentil curry and rice - jar tomato based curry sauce OR low fat curry paste plus coconut milk, canned green lentils, frozen mushrooms. Heat through, serve with brown basmati rice from your freezer. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.

Vegetable chilli and rice - jar ready made tomato sauce (no added sugar), canned kidney beans in chilli sauce, frozen bell peppers, frozen mushrooms. Heat through, serve with brown basmati rice from your freezer and half fat grated cheese.

Brenna
May 15th, 2011, 09:55 AM
well, I'm actually allergic to a lot of foods: carrots, celery, eggplant, all fruits with skins except grapes (cherries, apples, pears, etc), I can only eat fruits with peels or rinds and all berries except strawberries. I can also eat tropical fruits - guavas, not kiwis, papayas, mangos, coconut. I'm allergic and sensitive to lots of beans and nuts. and NO tofu. i am very allergic to soy products.

Firefox7275
May 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
well, I'm actually allergic to a lot of foods: carrots, celery, eggplant, all fruits with skins except grapes (cherries, apples, pears, etc), I can only eat fruits with peels or rinds and all berries except strawberries. I can also eat tropical fruits - guavas, not kiwis, papayas, mangos, coconut. I'm allergic and sensitive to lots of beans and nuts. and NO tofu. i am very allergic to soy products.

Well that moves the goalposts! Have you been referred to a dietician and/ or a gastroenterologist? You might want to be tested for leaky gut syndrome or similar, if you haven't already.

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Does the castor oil help grow the lashes and brows or does is just conditon them?

It helps them to grow, or from what I have observed, it helps in regrowth (from plucking). It makes them logner, too, it seems. I have been using it awhile and the difference it has made on my lashes it very noticeable.

Brenna
May 16th, 2011, 10:08 AM
how do you apply castor oil to eye lashes? will have to try it for my eyebrows. from a pluckjob went crazy, lol

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Brenna, I have mine mixed 50/50 with coconut oil because I dislike the sticky texture of castor oil. I bought a pointed tip bottle from Sally's and mixed it in that. I keep it by my bed and when I take off my glasses to sleep at night I squirt a drop on my finger and rub it into my brows (one drop each) vigorously. I do the same with my eyes, one drop per eye rubbed along the lashline, upper and lower.

Warning, this will remove any eye make-up you have on so you may want to remove it ahead of time or wake up with raccoon eyes LOL. I usually wash my face before bed anyway to remove make-up. I rub my eyes in the morning and this dislodges any leftover make-up and I just wipe it away with a cloth. I do not wash it off but you can if it feels greasy. It seems to be pretty absorbed by morning.

Brenna
May 17th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I just applied it to my eyebrows last night. I used a q-tip. I think I'll just try the eyebrows for a month or so and if I see any diff, maybe I'll try the eyelashes.

but thanx for reminding me about the castor oil.

alyanna
May 17th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I've been using minoxidil 2% for 3 months now. It's really helped stopped the shedding and I've got new growth. It's at least been scientifically proven to be safe and effective. BUT it is recommended for people who have AGA.

I'm very wary about this Monistat business...

celebriangel
May 17th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, firefox, but I have been very run down after having glandular fever, and have been taking a one-a-day A to Z multivitamin where none of the doses of vitamins or minerals exceed the RDA (I saw some branded ones where the dose was as much as 350% RDA! Eeek!).

Is this still something I should avoid? I am all in favour of having the best diet I can but with the post-viral fatigue and heavy exam load, though I do eat a decent diet with a fair amount of lean protein, fruits, vegetables and dairy, I am aware that I still fall short of the 5-a-day and an ideal diet, and had heard from Igor on her blog that she took a one-a-day multivit; it helped her hair and general health and she went to the doctor and got all her levels checked and was informed they were normal.

Wow that was a long sentence. Any info? I know not to megadose or focus one one group of vitamins, but is a multivitamin still not a good idea?

Firefox7275
May 17th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, firefox, but I have been very run down after having glandular fever, and have been taking a one-a-day A to Z multivitamin where none of the doses of vitamins or minerals exceed the RDA (I saw some branded ones where the dose was as much as 350% RDA! Eeek!).

Is this still something I should avoid? I am all in favour of having the best diet I can but with the post-viral fatigue and heavy exam load, though I do eat a decent diet with a fair amount of lean protein, fruits, vegetables and dairy, I am aware that I still fall short of the 5-a-day and an ideal diet, and had heard from Igor on her blog that she took a one-a-day multivit; it helped her hair and general health and she went to the doctor and got all her levels checked and was informed they were normal.

Wow that was a long sentence. Any info? I know not to megadose or focus one one group of vitamins, but is a multivitamin still not a good idea?

I am genetically incapable of a simple yes or no answer to any question, sorry! :o My concerns over supplementing in general are two-fold: firstly supplementing individual or small groups of nutrients, and secondly supplementing in place of a balanced diet. An insurance policy is not a problem, TBH I do so myself! A complete product will not do you any harm unless you are over-emphasising or eliminating entire food groups, or have a metabolic disorder.

Five a day is not the gold standard for fruit and veg intake, it's actually the bare minimum for health. The research supports nine portions per day, for that reason several countries do recommend seven or nine. Five was selected in the UK because it was seen to be manageable for a population eating only three on average. When you have been or are stressed - illness is stressful physiologically - your need for nutrients increases. It's also worth knowing that research suggests good nutrition and physical activity (only if you can) will help you concentrate and retain knowledge. :hifive:

I am not going to lie nine a day takes dedication; but five just takes a little organisation. Half a can of baked beans with a squeeze of tomato paste = 2. Breakfast cereal with one portion of dried fruit and one of frozen berries = 2. :disco: 160g mixed frozen veg nuked with dinner = 2. One piece of fresh fruit and a carton of juice at breaktime = 2. Grated cheese on the beans, milk on the cereal and yoghurt with your fruit and you hit three portions of dairy too! :cheese: Next time you buy groceries grab ANY canned, dried, frozen fruit and veg that catches your eye - make it easy to eat well.

What is your oily fish intake like? The minimum is three portions a week which barely anyone in the west hits (certainly not me)! If you like it grab some canned pink salmon or pilchards in tomato sauce for sandwiches or supper, if not get hold of some fish body oil capsules. Omega-3 is essential to the health of every cell - brain so learning, healing, hormone production, skin, immune function .... Fish oils is the one supplement I recommend over and over again and doctors are over the moon when my clients say they are supplementing. Only time not is if you have a clotting disorder or before an operation (unless on medical orders).

Lastly sugar, refined white carbs and caffeine: try to avoid these as they put the body into a state of stress and suppress the immune system. Pulses, fruit, wholegrain cereals and breads are good sources of energy and not need lots of preparation. I know that may be tough with exams but just do your best. HTH and not too preachy, good luck with your exams! :pumpkin:

Brenna
May 18th, 2011, 05:26 PM
what is aga?

alyanna
May 18th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Androgenetic Alopecia

It's hereditary male-pattern baldness.

Dang I hate typing that sentence :(

alyanna
May 18th, 2011, 07:14 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7747&pictureid=103189

Brenna
May 19th, 2011, 11:22 AM
oh sorry, No i don't think this is it. I think maybe its just lack of nutrients maybe. Vitamins ARE on my list, just not this month, lol.