PDA

View Full Version : What are YOUR methods/tips/tricks for scalp only washes?

shikara
May 12th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I'm looking forward to this Sunday when I plan to try my first scalp-only wash. I sure hope it works - tangles are my biggest concern. I notice there are many ways to do this, whether its standing up, head down, bunning, braiding, bagging, using showerhead, jug, cup....... What are your strategies?

christine1989
May 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I haven't the slightest idea but I second that question! I've often wondered how people do scalp washes so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

gthlvrmx
May 12th, 2011, 10:31 PM
i have never done this, ive read a little on it once, im curious to know too :)

Nastasia
May 12th, 2011, 10:38 PM
This is how I do it:

1. Make a ponytail, then pull the band away from your head a bit, so you can get at the scalp underneath.
2. Braid the ponytail.
3. Grab a plastic bag (I use the small ones you get from convenience stores),put your braided ponytail in it, and tie the handles of the bag just above the elastic of your ponytail.
4. Shower as normal.

It takes a bit more effort to shampoo all of your scalp and then rinse properly, but it's not very hard. I end up with my hair wet down to my shoulders, usually. That also depends on how high you put your ponytail. I don't have any problem with tangles.

krissykins
May 12th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Have you checked this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85)? It has PICTURES :)

shikara
May 12th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Here's how I'm thinking of doing my first one. Before the wash, do a good combing, loosening any 'debris' and stimulate the scalp a bit. I think I'll put my hair in a couple braids, combed a little more toward the front, so I can pour the water from on top and behind, with my head just a little down. I'll mix a couple jugs with a shampoo application each and fill them with water - a very diluted mix, and pour them gently and slowly over and around my head. Slowly so hopefully I can minimize water pressure forcing hair to tangle where the braid starts. Then rinse with the same jugs. If I'm doing it in the tub, I can use the sides to rest the arm that's holding the braids, because I've heard that sore arms can be a problem. Well, anyway, I'll report how it works out!! And maybe other suggestions and input on this thread will cause me to adjust my plan:eyebrows:

Teazel
May 13th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I've tried various methods over the years, and this is how I scalp wash now:

Scritch my scalp (I have seborrheic dermatitis), detangle my hair then make a tight ponytail using a soft hairtie.

Place a towel close at hand. Dilute some shampoo in a small squirty bottle. Get the kitchen mixer tap running at the right temperature.

Tuck my ponytail into my waistband (used to tuck it into my bra at shorter lengths), then bend over the kitchen sink and get my head thoroughly wet.

Squirt the diluted shampoo all over - this is a great way to ensure the awkward bits at the sides get their share - and do the lathering thing.

Rinse under the tap, then blindly grope for towel and blot head dry.

Done!

This method takes about 5 minutes - well, 10 if you include the detangling - and is ridiculously easy. I hardly ever wash the length now and always regret it when I do because "I can't do a thing with my hair" for at least a week after! :silly:

Gabriel
May 13th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I detangle my hair first. Then I make a ponytail that is loose at the crown of my head. I tried at the very top but it makes the front too tight and I risk snapping hairs that way. I braid the ponytail and use a large claw clip to connect it to a shower curtain ring slightly away from the water. Then I wash/condition my scalp as usual.

It took a little getting used to, sliding my fingers through my hair and carefully scrubbing the scalp with the pads of my fingers but it's easy as long at the hair is ponytailed right.

Once I'm finished showering I will wrap a towel around my head, leaving the braid on top until I'm ready to unbraid and comb it out.

My length stays dry this way and my hair is usually only wet to around chin length. It's not difficult to comb out either, just requires a bit of gentleness since some hair is wet and some is dry. I use a wide tooth comb for this part.

I'm at a length where this is possible for me so this might not work for you exactly unless you are taller than me (almost everyone is).

shikara
May 14th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Just a little update on my first ever scalp only wash. I did it as I explained a couple posts back except the two braids I did were first tied off with part of a cut stocking at about shoulder under my ears rather than combing forward. It turned out beautifully and I may never wash all my hair at the same time again. My usually tangle prone hair had virtually no tangles. I may next try washing my length only similarly - gently pour water down the length which will be over my shoulders in front. Apply some very diluted shampoo by pouring it over (this won't happen very often) and rinse the same.

LornaDoone
May 14th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I do scalp washes similarly to Gabriel. I make a loose braid at the crown of my head, and keep it out of the way while I wash.

In the shower, (since my braid is not quite long enough to reach the shower curtain rod) I use a claw clip to attach my braid to a plastic coat hanger and then hang that from the curtain rod. This is helpful if I drop the shampoo or something, because I can take the hanger off the curtain rod and still hold my braid out of the water and not worry about my hands being wet.

If I am doing a quick wash in the sink, I hang the end of my braid from a hook suction cupped to my bathroom mirror.