PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble Getting Colour To Take On Grey Hair

nastasska
June 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I just spent quite a bit of money on having a professional Semi Permanant put through my hair to cover up the ever increasing White bits and though it has covered pretty well there are still white hairs showing through :evil:
I have read about "Stubborn Grey Hairs" and now I have them if you have the same problem what do you do to get the colour to take whether you're using Natural or Chemical colour:confused:

missy60
June 17th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I think it might not be your hair, semi permanent color is temporary and isnt recommend to color grey. I would move up to at least a demi permanent and if that doesnt work you might have to go with permanent color. That is what you get the best coverage on greys with. It is now recommended to color grey roots with a permanent and refresh the ends when needed with a demi.

Curlsgirl
June 17th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Did the hairdresser recommend a semi-perm color? If so, I would go back ASAP and show her what it DIDN'T do and get her to fix it especially since it wasn't cheap. Sometimes they can't tell if a certain head of hair will do best with what until they try it. Right now, my colorist is trying a toner on mine to see if it will cover the gray enough in between highlights. Don't be afraid to go back and tell her what happened.

Toadstool
June 18th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I thought to cover grey you had to have a permanent for the very reason that semi doesn't cover grey completely. My hairdresser uses permanent; when I have tried semi permanent at home it hasn't covered it.

Riot Crrl
June 18th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Many hairs are different, which may be the problem the hairdresser had. I personally had semi-permanent vegetable dye stay in my grey (as well as the rest of my hair) WAY longer than "permanent." I also ended up eventually ColorFixing it out after months, which is totally not supposed to work, lol. I would second the advice to go show the hairdresser what it is doing.

Tap Dancer
June 18th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I use a permanent dye and the color only covers my white strands for a short time. I'm talking about a week or so. Gray/white hair seems to be very resistant, unfortunately.

psvzum
June 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM
First I want to tell you how beautiful your hair is : )

I would go back to the stylist and show her the grey's that are peeking through. If she recommended this to you, you should be satisfied or get your money back. Like other's have said, you might (probably) need to use a more permanent dye to get the coverage you need.

lynnala
June 18th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I've never been able to get color to stick in my hair at all since it started turning white. I think for one thing my hair is very non-porous so the dye doesn't penetrate. There is a porosity test you can do, but I've forgotten what it is! I found that cassia does color my white hair if left in for 3 hours, see my siggy pic. It does fade, but since it's good for my hair I can do it as often as I want. I've also heard that amla powder will darken white hair if used like cassia, but I haven't tried it yet. The castor oil in CV shampoo bars also darkens my white hair. Just found the porosity thread:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=626&highlight=porosity+test

mellie
June 18th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I have had luck using henna/indigo mixed with coffee and a little apple cider vinegar on my grays. I have to be sure to shampoo right before though, because any natural oils on the grays are going to resist color. The ACV helps the color hold onto the grays.

Xandergrammy
June 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I use a permanent dye and the color only covers my white strands for a short time. I'm talking about a week or so. Gray/white hair seems to be very resistant, unfortunately.

That's how my hair was too when I dyed it. It's one of the reasons I stopped dyeing.

spidermom
June 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Interesting this should come up. I looked at my reflection this morning and thought 'face facts my dear; you look old and hagard and need a makeover. I debated cut and color off and on all morning (while avoiding the mirror).

I did errands around lunch time and noticed dark-haired women with gray/white hairs showing through (3 total), like the dye didn't take, not like these women were between touch-ups. I thought "there's another reason for not coloring my hair; it doesn't work."

But I still look old and hagard and need a makeover.

whisper
June 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
My grays are starting to resist the semipermant dye. I've been able to use is successfully for about 8 years; now they are revolting. So, we went to a slightly darker color which worked for a bit. But the color was getting too dark for my liking. So I researched and I found an article on Naturally Curly which explained that there are transluscent semi's and opaque semi's.

Fortunately, my stylist works with the opaque semi in her salon too. So I moved from Redken Shades to Goldwell Colorance. So far so good. But later on down the road if the color doesn't cover, I'll move to the permanent.

Good luck!

Euphony
June 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
There are a lot of beautiful colors that can be done with using henna as a base. I have a silver spider on top of my head that you cannot see ever unless my roots have grown too much. I also have a friend that has tail bone length hair that is at least 80% white, but with her henna you cannot tell unless she hasn't done the roots lately.

Missie
June 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM
another horrible thing about white (grey) hair is how resistant to holding color they are in your EYEBROWS !