PDA

View Full Version : Awesome scarf tying vids!!

LoveMyLongHair
May 12th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I know a lot of us are always looking for cute ways to wear scarfs for style and hair protection. I just found this gal on YouTube and wanted to share.....she shows step by step how to do them and they are just precious. The Rapunzel Braid Scarf one is really different and so versatile.

Check her out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheStyleUnderground

LoveMyLongHair
May 12th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Actually, all of hers are cool....the urban wrap down low one looks so complicated, but in watching her do it, it's really not....4 layers of color and so neat!!

http://youtu.be/_JPsl9DD2p8

Madora
May 12th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the link, LoveMyLongHair! That was very interesting and creative. Cute way to attain the "feel" of long hair w/o having to wait for it to reach that length.

LoveMyLongHair
May 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Thank you, I thought all of her tying vids were very creative..

LoveMyLongHair
May 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Would anyone have any suggested website for getting pretty scarves to do these with?

Phexlyn
May 12th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for posting this link!
She really has some pretty and creative styles :)

terpentyna
May 12th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Thank you so much for the link!

candlesandfish
May 12th, 2011, 12:02 PM
For those looking for scarves, she has an etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/thestyleunderground?ref=ss_profile

there's also tznius which has gorgeous stuff (and cheaper, IIRC) http://tznius.com/

Look up headscarf, orthodox jewish, frum and tichel, you'll get lots of this stuff :)

LoveMyLongHair
May 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM
For those looking for scarves, she has an etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/thestyleunderground?ref=ss_profile

there's also tznius which has gorgeous stuff (and cheaper, IIRC) http://tznius.com/

Look up headscarf, orthodox jewish, frum and tichel, you'll get lots of this stuff :)

Ah so!! Thank you so very much. :flower:

Firefly
May 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I have several scarves I love but rarely wear because I'm not sure what else to do with them-- thanks so much for the link; lots of great ideas there!

pepperminttea
May 12th, 2011, 12:11 PM

There's also CoverYourHair.com (http://www.coveryourhair.com/). :)

LoveMyLongHair
May 12th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I have several scarves I love but rarely wear because I'm not sure what else to do with them-- thanks so much for the link; lots of great ideas there!

Most welcome to all, but that is what we do here on LHC, we share so well. :joy:

I also have some lovelies, but after watching her vids......I would like to have more. I love her multi layering technique, she makes it all look easily done.

candlesandfish
May 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM
It turns out that the maker of the vids has a new shop, much bigger, here: http://thestyleunderground.bigcartel.com/

They don't ship outside the USA, sad. I'd LOVE one of their scarves for visiting slavic Churches and the yoshi hats are adorable.

Yozhik
May 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the link! I really enjoyed her tutorial on the angelina high pony tail. :)

I bet it gets hot wearing 3 layers of scarves, though!

Cocoa_Crema
May 12th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks so much for sharing. I watched a movie about gypsies called "Crazy Stranger" and I loved colorful scarves that women wore. I have tons of scarfs at home and I don't know how to use them. :)

pittsburgpam
May 12th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Thank you for the link. Those are wonderful styles.

verene
May 12th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Beautiful. I think I need lighter weight scarves than I own to do some of those - but it does give me an excuse to buy more head-scarves :wink: , and new ways of wearing them!

darklion
May 13th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Fabulous videos!!!
I've always wanted to wear my scarves in my hair... but I never knew how.
I can't wait to try these out!

Sundial
May 13th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Thanks for sharing! I just looked through a few of the videos and they are fantastic! :thumbsup: I never knew there were so many ways to wear a scarf

WaitingSoLong
May 13th, 2011, 06:30 AM
THANK YOU!!!

I have several scarves and there is a local consignment shop that has tons and tons of scarves and I buy one almost every time I go in there. I cannot wait to watch more of these videos. There is a girl at our library who rocks scarves and she pointed me towards the consigment shop.

I cannot say they look good on me, though? Still...I like them for some reason.

LoveMyLongHair
May 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I was so excited to see how many ways she shows to wear therm........

I live in the very hot, very sunny south and am frequently outside doing farm chores, lawn duties, fencing, or just playing with the critters........hair as long as mine does not tuck up well underneath ball caps......and a pony pulled through the back is great BUT, the pony is exposed to the damaging sun, so it has become a 'no-no'. :p

I will be trying these ideas out to see how well they work, but I am so hopeful they will be 'the trick'....looking cute and protecting my hair, too....what a plus. :love:

Idun
May 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I love the look of these scarves and the different tying variations. I like the look of the braided yushi hast too. So convenient! But I must admit I´m not sure I have the courage to wear scarves and hats like that in public. The last time I did someone said I looked like a pirate. It is really unusual here. I´m having an inner debate.

LoveMyLongHair
May 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I love the look of these scarves and the different tying variations. I like the look of the braided yushi hast too. So convenient! But I must admit I´m not sure I have the courage to wear scarves and hats like that in public. The last time I did someone said I looked like a pirate. It is really unusual here. I´m having an inner debate.

Yes Idun, I feel your debate and share in it with you. :bunny:

Especially in the community I live and work in, that being said, I will start them on the farm (home) and on weekends, when I venture out to the feed store, etc, I will start my "public foray" that way to test the waters. :shrug:

At work one of my bosses calls me 'hair' not by my name. If needs me he says, "hair, come here" lol....He saw it down yesterday for the first time in over a year and said, "that's a riduculous amount of hair....wow!!" :smack:

So, I told him, 'no worries, I have the PRETTIEST scarf/headcovers coming.......he cringed and said, 'you scare me with that stuff' :rollin:

I told him "be afraid, be very afraid"......lol

If you brave it out enough to go publc, please let me know how yours turns out! I will report back once I have tried,also.

:puppy:

Idun
May 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM
At work one of my bosses calls me 'hair' not by my name. If needs me he says, "hair, come here" lol....He saw it down yesterday for the first time in over a year and said, "that's a riduculous amount of hair....wow!!" :smack:

So, I told him, 'no worries, I have the PRETTIEST scarf/headcovers coming.......he cringed and said, 'you scare me with that stuff' :rollin:

That´s funny! :rollin:

I think I need to find a scarf that doesn´t look so... religious. It is perhaps easier to get away with scarves in the summer. I will report back. :)

LoveMyLongHair
May 13th, 2011, 01:12 PM
That´s funny! :rollin:

I think I need to find a scarf that doesn´t look so... religious. It is perhaps easier to get away with scarves in the summer. I will report back. :)

I am with you there........mine need to be less religious looking and more...shall we say, generic?

I would get the strangest reactions and looks if I wore the very religious'y' looking ones.

squiggyflop
May 13th, 2011, 02:13 PM
i like the Rapunzel braid scarf video. i must get more scarves so i can do that one

error
May 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Oh thank you so much for posting this youtube user , she is so awesome! I had no idea how to wrap my hair in creative ways without it slipping using my scarfs , now I was able to throw together this costume photo in reference to one of my favorite movies Krull http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/100_6593.jpg I wanted to recreate Lyssa Widow of the web . <--Huge nerd over here .. yep :cheese: hahaa thanks again for posting! Much appreciated .

arwenevenstar37
May 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
uuu I love her! i have a couple of her scarfs adn they are just beautiful! also they do not slip adn stay on all day! :bounce:

owlathena
May 13th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I'm going to try some of these! Thanks for sharing!

Idun
May 14th, 2011, 04:39 AM
uuu I love her! i have a couple of her scarfs adn they are just beautiful! also they do not slip adn stay on all day! :bounce:

Do you use the black semi-sheer stocking caps underneeth? I´m a afraid my skull shape and slippery hair is a challenge when it comes to wearing scarves.:confused:

Idun
May 14th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Apparently The Style Underground (http://www.thestyleunderground.com/) ships internationally only if the order is over $150 :(

WaitingSoLong
May 16th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Idun, I buy scarves that cannot be mistaken for religious, such as ones with peace signs or tie dye or I even have one with skulls LOL. Theone I wear all the time is striped in vibrant colors....fuscia, red, gray, bright blue. I do get the pirate comment when I wear it. It is T-shirt material and stretchy and I put my hair in a bun, put it over my head and tie it around my bun (the bun is completely covered). This is my working style (yard work, etc.). I have only worn it is public once.

LoveMyLongHair
May 16th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Oh thank you so much for posting this youtube user , she is so awesome! I had no idea how to wrap my hair in creative ways without it slipping using my scarfs , now I was able to throw together this costume photo in reference to one of my favorite movies Krull http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/100_6593.jpg I wanted to recreate Lyssa Widow of the web . <--Huge nerd over here .. yep :cheese: hahaa thanks again for posting! Much appreciated .

Absolutely stunning!! :thud: that picture is worthy of a magazine cover!

LoveMyLongHair
May 16th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Apparently The Style Underground (http://www.thestyleunderground.com/) ships internationally only if the order is over $150 :(

I did read on the comments of her website, where someone asked her about international shipping, she said she is glad to ship to a friend or relative with a domestic addy, then they can forward.....seems a bit tedious to me.......but, hope this helps some.

LoveMyLongHair
May 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Idun, I buy scarves that cannot be mistaken for religious, such as ones with peace signs or tie dye or I even have one with skulls LOL. Theone I wear all the time is striped in vibrant colors....fuscia, red, gray, bright blue. I do get the pirate comment when I wear it. It is T-shirt material and stretchy and I put my hair in a bun, put it over my head and tie it around my bun (the bun is completely covered). This is my working style (yard work, etc.). I have only worn it is public once.

Great idea WSL! :thumbsup:

Idun
May 18th, 2011, 08:25 AM

I should look around in the nearby shops to find a more modern type scarf like you suggest. Allthough a skulls pattern would be a bit much for this old lady I think. :laugh: The striped one sounds great! The few scarves I own were bought a long time ago and they look kind of hippyish.

spidermom
May 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM
My favorite is "girl with a pearl earring" but it takes 3 scarves (if I remember correctly). That's definitely a look to save for a cold day.

SurprisingWoman
May 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM
These are awesome. I tried to do a scarf over my hair the other day when I was trimming raspberry canes and it was a joke. It's a scarf, how hard could it be? bahahaha....

These vid's will help immeasurably. Now all I need is a video on fruit tree pruning....

;)

LoveMyLongHair
May 18th, 2011, 09:14 AM
These are awesome. I tried to do a scarf over my hair the other day when I was trimming raspberry canes and it was a joke. It's a scarf, how hard could it be? bahahaha....

These vid's will help immeasurably. Now all I need is a video on fruit tree pruning....

;)
You gave me a giggle!!

WaitingSoLong
May 18th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah I don't really want to layer scarves in summer and she does a lot of 2+ scarves. I am really interested in the ones with no "tails" as I cannot stand them touching my neck.

Shorty89
August 8th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Yes Idun, I feel your debate and share in it with you. :bunny:

Especially in the community I live and work in, that being said, I will start them on the farm (home) and on weekends, when I venture out to the feed store, etc, I will start my "public foray" that way to test the waters. :shrug:

If you brave it out enough to go publc, please let me know how yours turns out! I will report back once I have tried,also.

I am with you there........mine need to be less religious looking and more...shall we say, generic?

I would get the strangest reactions and looks if I wore the very religious'y' looking ones.

I know the feeling. I live in an area with a large middle eastern population so I feel odd wearing a scarf and not being religious.

CurlyMopTop
August 8th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Thank you so much for sharing. Those scarves are lovely!! :)

JuliaDancer
August 8th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Gorgeous! And definitely not religious looking at all! I love scarves. I have a gorgeous deep red/purple silk one from a Tibetan shop in the city that I got for my birthday!

Raponsje
August 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM
It's a shame that scarves are associated with religion so strongly. In two hours I will be ridingmy bike to the trainstation and there is a very strong wind. Fifty years ago every sensible woman would have worn a scarf to protect her updo. No questions asked. But now you can't get away with more than a headband without getting weird looks. I really like the videos you posted. I love to see the power of creativity. On he website she keeps a blog with suggestions how scarf and clothes can fit together. Very worth looking at.