PDA

View Full Version : No Rats or Bumpits required!

Sundial
May 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I have been trying different ways of poufing up my hair.

Bumpits always slid out somehow or is hard to conceal. The teeth always poke out somehow and the color does not even blend with my hair.

I tried making a rat to solve the color blending issue but I realize that I have problems trying to collect enough hair to make a rat. The hair strands keep collecting dust and grosses out the OCD side of me, so I always end up tossing the hair midway.

So I have been thinking ..... instead of making rats out of shed hair, why can't I just make a rat out of hair that is still on my head? That way, I never have to worry about the rat falling out, nor do I have to worry that the color doesn't match. Even if I didn't comb hair strands over to conceal it fully, it wouldn't look out of place right?

I finally got round to trying out my idea today:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2h8coj4.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/28l47r5.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2ugkj9w.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/30tqkba.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2w5v98g.jpg

It is still holding up after half the day! :p And nothing seems to be sticking out, it just looks like it's all my hair (well, theoretically it really is just that it is all coiled up inside)

Instructions:
1. Section off a strip of hair just behind bangs (this is meant to hide the "rat").

2. Braid a small section of hair directly behind the strip that was sectioned in step 1

3. Coil the braid up and make a mini braided bun. Secure it down using pins.

4. Flip the section of hair in step 1 over this mini braided bun and smooth it over until the bun is concealed. Then secure the hair with a comb/hairpins.

I used a hair comb (Yay! Big thanks to Phalaepnosis for teaching me how to use a haircomb properly so that it wouldn't slip out) to secure in these pictures. And I opted for a braided bun because I thought it would be more secure.

vanity_acefake
May 12th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Thats a brilliant idea.
Thank you for sharing.
:)

Fairlight63
May 12th, 2011, 06:07 AM
That looks very good on you! I will have to try it.

Sundial
May 12th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks Fairlight63! My DH just came in through the door and he really seem to like it (and it is a rare occurrence for him to comment on my styled hair). I am planning to wear my hair this way to a friend's wedding this weekend

Eire
May 12th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Nice idea! Gonna give it a shot soon.

Chetanlaiho
May 12th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Great idea, I'll have to try this ^_^ also, your hair is lovely :)

StephieNavyGirl
May 12th, 2011, 07:41 AM
It looks beautiful and very polished/elegant.

::Yay! Another style I can try!::

LoveMyLongHair
May 12th, 2011, 07:45 AM
awesome idea......I love this forum!!

racrane
May 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I love the idea!

jojo
May 12th, 2011, 09:19 AM
thank you for sharing; what a simple but great idea!

Arya
May 12th, 2011, 09:34 AM
There was a really cute video tutorial on youtube for something similar, except she just spun it around like a bun instead. It was a cute Chinese girl who did three different types of bumps with no bumpits..my favourite was making a ponytail with the hair you want to bump, flipping the tail of it underneath to create the volume. Wish I could find that vid!!

MsBubbles
May 12th, 2011, 09:35 AM
What a great idea!! I hope my fine hair is thick enough to cover the braided bit up, but it's worth a try. God knows nothing else works to simulate height on my hair.

On you it looks very Jennifer Love-Hewitt!

Sundial
May 12th, 2011, 09:44 AM
There was a really cute video tutorial on youtube for something similar, except she just spun it around like a bun instead. It was a cute Chinese girl who did three different types of bumps with no bumpits..my favourite was making a ponytail with the hair you want to bump, flipping the tail of it underneath to create the volume. Wish I could find that vid!!

Oh the ponytail thing sounds like a great idea! I'm not sure if I am visualizing your instructions correctly ... It sounds like maybe a topsy turvy ponytail underneath to give some volume and then covered over with hair?? I think I may have time to test that out tomorrow before the wedding dinner on Saturday so I'll try giving that ponytail idea a trial run :flower:

Sundial
May 12th, 2011, 09:50 AM
What a great idea!! I hope my fine hair is thick enough to cover the braided bit up, but it's worth a try. God knows nothing else works to simulate height on my hair.

On you it looks very Jennifer Love-Hewitt!

Thanks for the sweet comment :flower: let's see if Arya's suggestion works and if so, I believe it may work better for fine/thin hair since the ponytail pushing back out will create some volume without needing a big ponytail (in my head it seems to work perfect, I really need to test it out tomorrow to see if it works exactly the way I'm picturing it)

vanillabones
May 12th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I'm afraid my thin fine hair wouldn't be able to hide it either (if I even had enough hair to try this style hehe) Would it be too much to ask to see step by step pictures? :( I am a little confused as to the size of the bun/braid you make and how you cover it with hair

Sundial
May 12th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I'm afraid my thin fine hair wouldn't be able to hide it either (if I even had enough hair to try this style hehe) Would it be too much to ask to see step by step pictures? :( I am a little confused as to the size of the bun/braid you make and how you cover it with hair

Sure :) I'll do it in the morning when I try out the other method that Arya suggested too! Will drop you a message on your profile page once I update with step by step pictures

vanillabones
May 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Wonderful thank you :D

Cowgirl16
May 12th, 2011, 10:21 AM
What a great idea; I'll have to try this :)

BLove
May 12th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Wow so smart of you to come up with this idea. I am looking forward to trying it myself.

Phexlyn
May 12th, 2011, 10:34 AM
What a great idea! I hope I can make this work on my hair for the next dancing class :)

theodora
May 12th, 2011, 10:34 AM
That's such a good idea! Usually when I want to create a bump for a 60s hairstyle I end up backcombing the hell out of my hair. Which is clearly not a good idea considering it's already damaged to begin with. Whoops.

So yay for a bump recipe which sounds like it won't ruin my hair! Thank you!

HintOfMint
May 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Fabulous idea!

Also, I could never get behind making a rat. Collecting shed hair kinda grosses me out too and I keep thinking of clumps that get stuck in the shower drain, even if I'm just looking at shed hair in my bed or brush.

hockeygirl256
May 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I like it. Much better than teasing :)

Arya
May 12th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Oh the ponytail thing sounds like a great idea! I'm not sure if I am visualizing your instructions correctly ... It sounds like maybe a topsy turvy ponytail underneath to give some volume and then covered over with hair?? I think I may have time to test that out tomorrow before the wedding dinner on Saturday so I'll try giving that ponytail idea a trial run :flower:

Basically, you gather all the hair at the sides and front that you want up, and gather it into a little ponytail on top of your head. Then you coil the hair from the ponytail, and flip it forwards and underneath the ponytailed hair. Then you can pin it, or leave it if it feels secure enough. ^__^

Sundial
May 13th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Instructions (with pictures):

1. Section off a strip of hair just behind bangs (this is meant to hide the "rat").
http://i54.tinypic.com/m953ih.jpg

2. Braid a small section of hair directly behind the strip that was sectioned in step 1
http://i55.tinypic.com/103wwm0.jpg

3. Coil the braid up and make a mini braided bun. Secure it down using pins.
http://i56.tinypic.com/2i9l63d.jpg
The section meant to cover the braided bun is circled in red.

4. Flip the section of hair (circled in red) in step 1 over this mini braided bun and smooth it over until the bun is concealed. Then secure the hair with a comb/hairpins.

Sundial
May 13th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Ok, so after Arya pointed out another method I tried something else out today.

@ Arya: I'm not sure exactly if this was the method you were talking about but I tried to visualize your description and came up with these 2 other ways of doing it. Let me know which was the one you saw in youtube

Method A

1. Section off some hair for hiding the rat.

2. Make a mini ponytail directly behind the section mentioned in step 1

3. Create an inverse Gibson tuck and secure it with a hairpin (I used a small 2" crimped pin)

4. Flip hair section over the inverse Gibson tuck and conceal

Method B

1. Section off some hair for hiding the rat.

2. Make a mini ponytail directly behind the section mentioned in step 1

3. Divide the ponytail in 2 directly behind the hairtie closest to your scalp, pull the length of the ponytail from the bottom up all the way through. This creates a waterfall/peacock tail effect which creates the volume in the pouf

4. Flip hair section over and conceal

The difference between the 2 methods is that Method A uses a crimped hairpin while Method B doesn't. So those who are more tender headed and doesn't want to use hairpins can just give Method B a try.

After trying all 3, I realize I like Method A the best even because it gives the smoothest finish with the least effort. But the only issue that I had with it is that I was worried that my hair will start spitting out the hairpin because the tension from wrapping waist length hair into the mini ponytail was a bit much.

The earlier method I mentioned in the first post was more comfortable and secure but I had to be more careful while concealing the braided bun.

Method B was the easiest and took the least time, but it also gives the most unpredictable results - my slippery hair had a tendency to flip on 1 side instead of spreading out evenly like a proper peacock twist, so I tend to have a higher bump on 1 side.

So in summary, tenderheaded folks may prefer Method B. Lighthaired folks may prefer Method A. And those who are having an active day will prefer the original one mentioned in the first post.

In any case, just try out all 3 to see which works better for you. Afterall, anything is better than teasing ;)

arc691
May 13th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Good idea~ it certainly looks very pretty on you!

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/andrearcolson/My%20Smilies/fantasy21.gif

vanillabones
May 13th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hooray! Thanks for letting me know you posted. I just sat here studying what you've done (hehe) and I think I understand now. What a great alternative to backcombing! This will be so useful to me when my hair is longer since I used to love teasing to get some volume especially on the back of my head my hair is so flat and thin :) Thank you

Paranda Belle
May 13th, 2011, 08:56 AM
You can also take a large scrunchie that's similar to your hair colour, make a small ponytail behind the band of hair and wrap the hair around the scrunchie to make a bun then hide it with the band of hair. The thinking behind using the scrunchie is that it gives you a bit more volume. I've also used two scrunchie buns side buy side to make the whole thing look a bit flatter and even on top.

Never occoured to me to braid the "bump" though! Well done!

freckles
May 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Very clever! I will definitely try this :)

Arya
May 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Wow, Sundial, those are great ideas!! I'll definitely have to try it. My method is the gibson tuck one, but I actually just put all the hair in a gibson tuck, I don't have a piece in front to hide it.

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I do some thing similar, however i don't braid the section I use to create the bump, i just curl it (with out a curler at all) then, I secure it with small bobby pins then I carefully spread the "cover" of hair over it and pin ( sometimes with bobby pins, other times with clips, barrettes, etc.

boudica
May 16th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Brilliant idea! I'm going to try this tomorrow!

Thanks for sharing!

vanamo
May 16th, 2011, 02:51 AM
This looks amazing! And doesn't need a massive amount of hair teasing and hairspray. I have a fine hair but have lots of it so I'm pretty sure it'll work for my hair.

Sundial
May 16th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Arya you are right, it does look good on its own too :D I just put in the extra hair just in case the Gibson tuck springs back out :p I had people asking me if I did my hair at the salon, they thought it was all professionally backcombed/teased

Qadupae
May 16th, 2011, 03:13 AM
That's an awesome hair friendly idea to make a mini braid for a bump ^_^ I know I don't do the bumps, but I know a couple of ladies at my work that do that could benefit from this tutorial.