PDA

View Full Version : Can you use ACV too much?

DreamDance
May 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I have what may be a silly question:

I've become addicted to ACV rinses in the past few months. Can you Rinse with ACV to a point where it damages your hair? I'm using it every 2-6 days or rather every time I wash or instead of washing.

It makes my hair feel fantastic, and my scalp has stopped itching altogether even when my hair needs washing badly, I just want to make sure I'm not going to damage my hair anymore than it already has been.

Thanks!

krissykins
May 11th, 2011, 10:12 PM
If it's not diluted enough, then yes. It tends to dry out hair if you don't get the right dilution. I'm sure many daily ACV users have been going strong for long periods of time, but I haven't done it for long, so that's the best answer I can give :flower:

Kathie
May 11th, 2011, 10:32 PM
The acid pH of the ACV brings the scalp mantle back to a neutral pH and helps to flatten down the keratin scales. The thing is- that conditioner also has a low/acid pH for the same reasons. Many conditioners have citric acid added to them. So, I guess if you are using a good concentration of ACV, not too strong, then no I would say its just like conditioning your hair. Again, like krissykins said, this is all dependent on you ACV concentration :flower:

Joribear
May 11th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I can't stress it enough - if you're using ACV rinses, be sure it's very diluted! When I first found LHC, I was reading about ACV rinses, but could never find a "formula" for making the rinse. I figured, ehh, can't be that big of a deal, so I mixed up a 50/50 ACV to water rinse.

Ummm, WOW! :eek: Talk about dry, dry, dry hair! My hair felt like a rat's nest, it was so dry and tangled! I said a mental "Screw this!" and slathered on a ton of conditioner to try and work out the mess.

It was about a week later that I found posts where the ratio was more a tablespoon of ACV to a quart of water, or so (depending on the poster). Ummm, yeah, I was way off! Since then, I do ACV rinses every time I wash! :)

jojo
May 12th, 2011, 04:04 AM
If your hair feels and looks good and your scalp is healthy go for it! I do a ACV rinse every 3 days with no problem; I use about a tablespoon in a pint of water.

DreamDance
May 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Thank you all for your responses! i've been using about 1 Tablespoon to about 2 cups of water so I guess I need to up the water content. I haven't had any tangles from it that I can tell though, thank goodness.

Joribear: Wow! I can't imagine using that much ACV! I would think it would make your hair smell like a vinaigrette!

Kathie: that explains why I don't have to use as much conditioner anymore. Neat fact. Thanks.

Joribear
May 12th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Joribear: Wow! I can't imagine using that much ACV! I would think it would make your hair smell like a vinaigrette!

Oh, it was HORRIBLE! Some got in my eyes, so my eyes were burning, the smell was almost over-powering! I have a small bathroom as it is and with that much ACV, I was barely able to contain myself to wrap a towel around me when I got out!

Mind you, this was the weekend I first found LHC, so I had nothing to do but try different things.... Yes, very long and INFORMATIVE weekend! LOL

I do ACV rinses now about every other wash, so at least twice a week. At least I learned my lesson! :)

krissykins
May 12th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Oh, it was HORRIBLE! Some got in my eyes, so my eyes were burning, the smell was almost over-powering! I have a small bathroom as it is and with that much ACV, I was barely able to contain myself to wrap a towel around me when I got out!

Mind you, this was the weekend I first found LHC, so I had nothing to do but try different things.... Yes, very long and INFORMATIVE weekend! LOL

I do ACV rinses now about every other wash, so at least twice a week. At least I learned my lesson! :)

I want to call this "newbie's remorse" bahahaha

Joribear
May 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
I want to call this "newbie's remorse" bahahaha

It was a weekend FULL of "newbie's (n00bie's!) remorse!!! :oops:

krissykins
May 12th, 2011, 08:56 PM
It was a weekend FULL of "newbie's (n00bie's!) remorse!!! :oops:

Don't worry. I tried a SMT with a protein condish during my first week. My hair loves protein, but not in an SMT. My hair hates honey, too. :p

DreamDance
May 12th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Don't worry. I tried a SMT with a protein condish during my first week. My hair loves protein, but not in an SMT. My hair hates honey, too. :p

The one time I used honey in my hair I forgot to read that you shouldn't let it dry on your hair. I've been too scared since then to find out if my hair likes honey...

krissykins
May 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM
The one time I used honey in my hair I forgot to read that you shouldn't let it dry on your hair. I've been too scared since then to find out if my hair likes honey...

The thing about honey is that it needs to be applied to damp or preferably wet hair so it isn't sticky. You can let it dry on your hair; plenty of LHCers do with great results (go look up our awe inspiring member CinnamonHair :D) Also, if you don't want to lighten your hair, make sure to heat it for a little bit to kill the peroxide.

Peanutter
May 13th, 2011, 06:21 PM
This is what makes this noob a little scared to experiment! I tried a baking soda/ACV regimen for like 2 weeks when I was hennaing, and I also didn't know the ratio of ACV to water... I couldn't figure out what soft hair everyone was talking about!

DreamDance
May 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
This is what makes this noob a little scared to experiment! I tried a baking soda/ACV regimen for like 2 weeks when I was hennaing, and I also didn't know the ratio of ACV to water... I couldn't figure out what soft hair everyone was talking about!

Oh no! I can't use baking soda on my hair it gives me super-frizz and it takes weeks to do away with. I've tried a pinch of baking soda in a quart of water and it STILL dried my hair out. But don't be afraid! experimenting is what lets you find your perfect hair routine.

Eire
May 13th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I use diluted ACV every day -- in fact it's the only product I use on my hair besides some jajoba oil on the ends -- and my hair loves it!

DreamDance
May 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I use diluted ACV every day -- in fact it's the only product I use on my hair besides some jajoba oil on the ends -- and my hair loves it!

you use it instead of shampoo and conditioner? Do you leave it on your hair for any length of time? Did you have any transition period like switching from sulfates to CO? And (last question I promise) do you use it all over your length every time or just on your scalp?

Sorry for the question barrage. I'm very interested in switching over to ACV entirely with the smooth soft results I'm getting, so your post is exciting! :poot:

McFearless
May 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
No, with your water/acv ratio your hair will be fine. I think using too much acv in a single rinse might cause your hair to dry out and tangle but heavily diluted everyday? Nah.

Peanutter
May 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Oh no! I can't use baking soda on my hair it gives me super-frizz and it takes weeks to do away with. I've tried a pinch of baking soda in a quart of water and it STILL dried my hair out. But don't be afraid! experimenting is what lets you find your perfect hair routine.

I will still experiment, but I'm gonna do research first! :)

battles
May 13th, 2011, 09:05 PM
you use it instead of shampoo and conditioner? Do you leave it on your hair for any length of time? Did you have any transition period like switching from sulfates to CO? And (last question I promise) do you use it all over your length every time or just on your scalp?

Sorry for the question barrage. I'm very interested in switching over to ACV entirely with the smooth soft results I'm getting, so your post is exciting! :poot:

This sounds interesting to me too.. Will keep an eye on this. :P

Aurantia
May 14th, 2011, 07:56 AM
As an occasional ACV user I'll be tuning in here for results...

In the meantime, I feel like someone needs to start a "Newbie's Remorse" thread. :eyebrows:

Eire
May 14th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Yes, I use it without using any shampoo and conditioner, and I did it without any transition period. My hair tends to be greasy at the roots and dry at the length. I tried using CO before but it made my roots even greasier and my length weighted down and lank. I had been using a strong shampoo every day, but the greasiness would be back by shower time. I decided to just abandon the shampoo and conditioner altogether. To be honest I was expecting a greasy transition phase, but it never happened.

My basic hair wash routine:
(1) I comb my hair and brush with boar bristle brush about 20 strokes to distribute oils immediately before showering. I put a small splash of ACV in a cup and put it in the shower.
(2) I get in the shower, and under warm water massage my scalp with the pads of my fingers for about a minute.
(3) I turn the water to cool, and comb through my roots and length with a plastic wide-tooth comb. Note: my hair isn't very tangly, so people with thicker hair would probably want to skip the length part.
(4) I turn the water back to warm, do the rest of my shower stuff.
(5) I turn the water to cool, fill the cup with water, and slowly rinse it over the top of my head, making sure to get it in the hairline, the crown, and the sides. I vigorously massage my scalp with the pads of my fingers for about 10 seconds.
(6) I rinse off the ACV in the cool water and comb through again with my plastic comb.
(7) I get out of the shower, wrap a towel around my hair for about 5 mins, then apply some Jajoba oil to the ends and gently comb through with plastic comb. Let air dry, and done!

That's the routine that works well for me. My hair's been a lot less greasy at the roots, I've had no problems with dry skin or flakes, and the length is soft and has actually gotten wavier. When I put my hair up I notice there are fewer flyaways, and it seems that my shedding has decreased.

Hope that was helpful :D

DreamDance
May 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Eire: That was very helpful, thank you. My hair seems similar to yours from your description, just a little bit more fine... I think I shall try it!

Joribear
May 14th, 2011, 02:37 PM

No, with your water/acv ratio your hair will be fine. I think using too much acv in a single rinse might cause your hair to dry out and tangle but heavily diluted everyday? Nah.
Yep, ACV not properly diluted will cause the dry hair and tangles. My first time doing an ACV rinse with way not enough water, all I could think of was: "What the heck were those women talking about this making your hair soft?? How bad was their hair to start with!?!?" I honest to God thought ya'll were bat :poop: crazy! Once I realized it needed to be diluted more, I joined the ACV crowd! :D

In the meantime, I feel like someone needs to start a "Newbie's Remorse" thread. :eyebrows:
^^ This^^^ Definitely this! ^^

Kathie
May 14th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Go on! I think there would be many an interesting story in there :D

ravenreed
May 14th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I have been using ACV just about every wash since I first joined LHC. It was one of the first things I tried and worked amazingly well. My poor scalp was so dry and itchy before I learned about the benefits of ACV. I think it is important to remember that some of us have very hard water and might need a stronger concentration. I know I do. I use about 1 tablespoon of vinegar to maybe 8 tablespoons of water.

Sometimes I swap out ACV for lemon juice because occasionally if I don't wash the vinegar out quite well enough, I get somewhere to dance and when I get sweaty, I smell like a pickle. So, to avoid this, I have decided to use lemon before any big events. But when I am home alone, I don't care.

GRU
May 14th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I use an ACV rinse after virtually every CO-wash, anywhere from 4-7 days/week.

About a tablespoon in about a quart/liter of water.

Eighteen months later, my hair and scalp are still happier than ever before in my life.

Mrspuddinhead
May 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Personally my hair loves ACV, sadly my husband doesn't. (We like to snuggle on the couch and he prefers the natural sent of my hair.) Any who I have to come up with a happy medium. After reading many comments I've come to believe I've been using to muich ACV so I will delute it much more. I think it is a trail and error type deal. That way I'm happy, my hair is happy, and most importantly my puddin' head is happy. I notice my hair is much more shiny, less tangled, less frizzy when I do use ACV vs. when I do not.

allmixedup88
May 16th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I used ACV (diluted) almost everyday and it made my hair super dry, now I only use it a few times a week!

GRU
May 16th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Personally my hair loves ACV, sadly my husband doesn't. (We like to snuggle on the couch and he prefers the natural sent of my hair.)

Get some citric acid powder and mix a bit of that with water -- there's nothing "magical" about ACV... just get something acidic and go from there!

Mesmerise
May 16th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I have run out of ACV and have been using other vinegar (white wine vinegar I believe...) and I just slop a bit in a mixing bowl and fill the bowl up with water in the shower... I don't measure out concentrations or whatever! I find my scalp gets less itchy, which is good...cause otherwise I itch...and pick...and irritate...etc. etc. it also makes my hair soft.

Unfortunately I still have major frizzies :(.

azhie
May 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Is there a difference between using ACV and white vinegar?

GRU
May 17th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Is there a difference between using ACV and white vinegar?

Not really -- they both acidify your hair/scalp.

Some people prefer the smell of ACV, some prefer the smell of white vinegar.

Some people prefer the ever-so-slight tinge of red highlights they may get from ACV (no guarantee of it happening - very few people have reported this effect from what I've seen here at LHC), others prefer the totally-clear white vinegar.

But they both *work* the same.

Mrspuddinhead
May 19th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Get some citric acid powder and mix a bit of that with water -- there's nothing "magical" about ACV... just get something acidic and go from there!

Thanks GRU. I have come to find out after reading many comments my mixture was WAY off. I've diluted it and hopefully the measurements are correct. So far the results are still good and my husband and hair is happy. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give that a try as well. :)

GRU
May 19th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks GRU. I have come to find out after reading many comments my mixture was WAY off. I've diluted it and hopefully the measurements are correct. So far the results are still good and my husband and hair is happy. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give that a try as well. :)

Glad you found a fix! And yeah, it doesn't take very much vinegar to make a big cup of water slightly acidic...

WittyWordsmith
May 19th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Does anyone make a diluted mix of this ahead of time to store in the shower? Would it still be effective this way?

I'm thinking of using one of my old conditioner bottles and mixing some ACV in a batch to follow my CO washes with.

GRU
May 19th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Does anyone make a diluted mix of this ahead of time to store in the shower? Would it still be effective this way?

I'm thinking of using one of my old conditioner bottles and mixing some ACV in a batch to follow my CO washes with.

I dilute the ACV that I keep in my shower by about a third (just to make it last longer b/c I can get heavy-handed sometimes), but I mix it as I need it each day.

I keep a half-liter Aquafina water bottle with semi-diluted ACV in the shower, and I have a big plastic cup that is probably just shy of a liter that I keep stored upside down over the top of the water bottle. When I'm ready to rinse, I put a splash of the ACV into the big cup, then fill it the rest of the way with water and dump it over my head. Then the big plastic cup gets upturned over the water bottle until the next time.

spidermom
May 19th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Once is too much for me; vinegar leaves my hair wildly fly-away. Every hair floats off on its own trajectory; it's not a good look.

I need to use products that weigh my hair down.

Mrspuddinhead
May 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM

I have one of the large Garnier Fructis bottle that contains my ACV mixture, which stays in the shower with me. I find it still effective.

Cimorene
May 20th, 2011, 09:28 PM
The first (and only) time I tried an ACV rinse, I had no idea you're supposed to dilute it, so I just opened the bottle in the shower and dumped a big bunch on my head! As you can imagine, the smell was overpowering. :laugh: Then I was like, "Am I supposed to rinse this stuff out or leave it in?" I ended up rinsing it out, but my head smelled like the inside of a Long John Silver's for days.

I've been considering trying ACV again because my scalp is SO ITCHY, and I have dandruff and canopy fuzziness like you wouldn't believe. But clearly, I need to do more research on the subject before a second attempt. :D

GRU
May 20th, 2011, 09:38 PM
The first (and only) time I tried an ACV rinse, I had no idea you're supposed to dilute it, so I just opened the bottle in the shower and dumped a big bunch on my head! As you can imagine, the smell was overpowering. :laugh: Then I was like, "Am I supposed to rinse this stuff out or leave it in?" I ended up rinsing it out, but my head smelled like the inside of a Long John Silver's for days.

I've been considering trying ACV again because my scalp is SO ITCHY, and I have dandruff and canopy fuzziness like you wouldn't believe. But clearly, I need to do more research on the subject before a second attempt. :D

:lol: Oh, poor Cimorene! I can't even imagine how overpowering the smell must have been within the confined space of the shower!!!! http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/confused009.gif

(A tablespoon in a quart of water should suffice for future attempts! :) )

Also, for your flakes, have you tried CO-washing? My scalp has never been happier than it's been since I started CO-washing and ACV-rinsing a year and a half ago!

Cimorene
May 21st, 2011, 09:08 PM
:lol: Oh, poor Cimorene! I can't even imagine how overpowering the smell must have been within the confined space of the shower!!!! http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/confused009.gif

(A tablespoon in a quart of water should suffice for future attempts! :) )

Also, for your flakes, have you tried CO-washing? My scalp has never been happier than it's been since I started CO-washing and ACV-rinsing a year and a half ago!

Well, I tried the ACV rinse again last night. I put "a splash" of vinegar into a 4-cup measuring cup, added a couple drops of rosemary oil to make it smell better, and filled the cup with water after shampooing my scalp and conditioning the ends. That worked much better, and there was no noticeable smell afterwards (in fact, I can only smell the lovely pineapple-ness of my Aussie conditioner).

My hair seems shinier today, but my scalp still itches like crazy! I've been scratching it all day, and pulling big ol' dandruff flakes out of my hair. I've always had a fussy scalp - lots of dandruff, and it gets greasy about 2 days after washing. I'm sure it doesn't help that I unconsciously scratch my head when I'm worried or deep in thought.

Do you really think CO will help with the itching? I'm a little wary of it; I'm afraid it might make my scalp even greasier.

I was reading the CO thread today for more info, and I picked up a bottle of Suave clarifying conditioner while I was out and about - I figure I can at least try it and see what happens. :shrug: Thanks for the suggestion!

GRU
May 21st, 2011, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear that the ACV went over better this time! :thumbsup:

As for the flakes and itching, I can only report what I've experienced. The problem with flakes/itching is that there can be numerous different reasons for it -- not all flakes are automatically "dandruff" even though the people at Head & Shoulders would like us to believe so! :rolleyes:

A couple centuries ago (okay, it was only a couple decades ago, but I FEEL that old), I had a doctor put me on a prescription dandruff shampoo (it smelled NASTY, too!). It didn't help, I think because I didn't actually have "dandruff" -- using an anti-fungal shampoo isn't going to help if you don't have a fungal condition, you know?

What helps me is regular cleaning (at least every other day, using a good scrubbing motion with my fingerpads -- NOT my fingernails) with conditioner rather than shampoo. Between the CO-washing and the ACV rinsing, the only time I have a flare-up is when I've gone two days without washing.

The problem with shampoo is that it works TOO well. It ends up stripping all the bad AND good stuff from the surface of your scalp, which can then cause your scalp to say, "Holy crap, I've been strip-mined totally bare! I've got to ramp up production of those oils/sebum to replace all that missing protective stuff! All hands on deck! Alert! Alert! Get those oil pumps cranking oil to the surface PRONTO!"

Washing with conditioner (which has milder surfactants than shampoo) will lift grease and dirt without stripping the scalp so harshly.

Some folks have a "transition" period of anywhere from a week to a month, when their scalp is still cranking out tons of oil out of habit -- they get greasier faster during this transition period (note, however, that many people never experience a "transition phase" at all when they start CO-washing -- I never did). Some people who usually shampoo-washed twice a week find that they have to CO-wash daily or every-other-day at first, but as their scalp calms down and recognizes that the alert level can go back to normal, they are usually able to stretch out washes.

As for me, with my temperamental scalp, I have to wash at least every other day. It has nothing to do with getting greasy -- I think I could go a week without looking greasy! -- it's just due to the fact that my scalp needs a decent massage with a mild cleanser to break loose all those dead skin cells that will end up morphing into nasty flakes and even scabs/lesions on my scalp if I don't remove them soon enough.

Read around on the CO-washing thread for more info -- there are some people whose hair doesn't like CO-washing, but I'd say that the majority of hair types are successful with it, based on what I've seen here at LHC.

Cimorene
May 22nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
Sweet! Thanks for the advice. I'm due for another hair washing tonight (I usually have to wash every other day, especially during the swampy KY summers) so I'll try it and see how it goes. I'm hoping the Suave clarifying conditioner is a nice middle ground between shampoo surfactants and the thick, coney Aussie conditioner that I use on the ends - not as harsh as shampoo, but not so heavy that I have a hard time washing it out.

GRU
May 22nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
I don't think any of the Suave line are hard to wash out (provided, of course, that it's one of the 'cone-free versions). I think you'll be just fine.... let us know how you get on afterward!

torrilin
May 22nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
Could be a lot of things... like GRU, my scalp skin is dry. Unlike her, the cure for mine is a very plain shampoo, diluted a bit for scalp washes. The more ingredients and fragrance, the less my skin likes it.

My husband's scalp also tends to look very dry and flaky. In his case, the issue is his psoriasis. He's got a quite severe case, so he's on regular UV treatments. Unfortunately, his hair protects his scalp from the UV light very well, so any psoriasis patches there don't get treated. Instead he uses a coal tar shampoo (Neutrogena T-gel is cheap and works well). Eczema can cause similar issues, as can fungal infections on your scalp. There are probably more I haven't thought of.

You can't tell just by looking if the issue is one thing or another, so if the problem is upsetting you a lot, it would be best to see a doctor. The difference in my husband's comfort between the right treatment and the wrong one is astonishing... and REALLY visible. My results aren't as dramatic as his, but I definitely scratch and fuss a lot more if I use the wrong shampoo.