PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION about CO

Annibelle
May 11th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I just heavily oiled my hair with coconut oil. I've been washing my hair with shampoo and not conditioning after a heavy oiling, but my hair turns out just like it would if I shampooed and conditioned with regular conditioner without oiling when I do that. What is your experience? Does shampooing AND conditioning after oiling make it to oily? Have you ever skipped the shampoo and CO after oiling?

Thanks! :cheese:

Carolyn
May 11th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I do a CO wash with either WR or VO5 after a heavy oiling. It's never failed at getting the oil out and always leaves my hair so soft. I don't use shampoo to get the oil out.

heatherovka
May 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I do the same as Carolyn. Recently I did an overnight soak with 1 TBSP of coconut oil and the next morning washed it all out with conditioner only. If I am really worried about it I'll do a CO wash with lots of conditioner, rinse, then do it again. My hair was soft and shiny, no stringy greasiness at all!

Annibelle
May 11th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Sounds good! I've used Pantene almost exclusively for years... I wonder if it will work as well for this as WR or V05. I have some Suave in the cabinet-- maybe I'll try that.

Carolyn
May 12th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Your Pantene conditioner will likely have cones in it. I would advise avoiding a coney condish for CO washing. Try the Suave. I think it will be a much better choice.

ETA: When I've done a heavy oiling I do what I call a "long CO soak". I saturate my hair with the conditioner, cover the mess with a shower cap or conditioning cap, then cover that with a Turbie Twist or a towel. I leave that on quite a while, at least an hour. Rinse, and do a second conditioner of choice.

Cleopatra18
May 12th, 2011, 04:33 AM
I always heavy oil my hair and I cowash after. I use a diluted conditioner. I have an empty conditioner bottle where I put the amount of conditioner I want to use then just fill it with some water and shake it till it lathers well. Then, I put it all over my scalp mainly and whatever left on my length. I massage gently cause my hair can be very fragile and tangly in the shower. I don't leave it as much as carolyn, just for 5-10 mins max, then rinse. I have no oil residue whatsoever.
ETA: I always use a coney conditioner, it's a must for me, even though my hair is not damaged or anything like that.

GRU
May 12th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I'm another who uses conditioner to wash out oil. Has never failed me!

Annibelle
May 12th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Update: I used Pantene conditioner to wash before I saw the cone warning... I rinsed for probably 5 times as long as I normally would for both shampoo AND conditioner, and my hair still ended up oily! But I hadn't let my conditioner sit at all. This morning, I think I'm going to try using Suave conditioner.

ETA: When I've done a heavy oiling I do what I call a "long CO soak". I saturate my hair with the conditioner, cover the mess with a shower cap or conditioning cap, then cover that with a Turbie Twist or a towel. I leave that on quite a while, at least an hour. Rinse, and do a second conditioner of choice.

Carolyn, do you get your hair wet before you put the conditioner in to soak? And when you do the second conditioner, is it okay to use the same one? And do you do the entire length the second time?

Thank you guys so much! This forum has been incredibly helpful for me! So glad I found LHC!

Carolyn
May 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Update: I used Pantene conditioner to wash before I saw the cone warning... I rinsed for probably 5 times as long as I normally would for both shampoo AND conditioner, and my hair still ended up oily! But I hadn't let my conditioner sit at all. This morning, I think I'm going to try using Suave conditioner.

Carolyn, do you get your hair wet before you put the conditioner in to soak? And when you do the second conditioner, is it okay to use the same one? And do you do the entire length the second time?
I really think you'll have better luck with the Suave than a coney conditioner. Here's what I do after a heavy oiling. I don't get my hair wet. I just gob on the conditioner. I use 1/6-1/5 of a bottle of WR. I really cover my hair in the conditoner. If I wet my hair it would be so runny. It's runny enough as it is. I bag my hair in plastic and cover with my Turbie. I often have to lay a small folded towel over my shoulders and along my neck to soak up any conditoner drips. Then I'll let the conditioner sit on my hair while I surf the net and watch tv. I don't use my CO conditioner for my second conditioner as I like a heavier more moisturizing conditioner. Some use the same conditioner with good results. I'm a person who can't use too much conditioner. My hair eats it up. You'll have to experiment and see what you like the best. I usually do the entire length the second time but I've also done it apply the conditioner from the ears down too. I don't leave that conditioner on as long. I'm guessing it's on my hair 10-15 minutes while I'm in the bathtub. If you like a coney conditioner, I'd suggest using it for your second one. Give it a try and see if you like it.

Lianna
May 12th, 2011, 09:58 PM
CO always worked for me to get oils out too. But not coconut oil (my hair doesn't like it), takes me at least five SLES washes to get it out. Seems like your hair handles it fine and coneless CO would be a good option!

CrystalStar
May 13th, 2011, 01:07 AM
CO is a miracle when it comes to getting oils out! Never had a problem CO'ing cocout oil out once.. But be wary with olive oil if you try it :) It proved itself to be more of a challenge to wash out than coconut to me!