PDA

View Full Version : How to self trim short hair?

buttercupmcgee
May 11th, 2011, 05:50 PM
My hair just reached collar bone (yay!) It's been four months since my last trim, and I'm looking to stretch it to the 6 month mark before dusting it myself. Has anyone self trimmed at this stage? Any tips?

I want to make it to my goal length and then I'll get it professionally shaped, but until then, I'd like to avoid the famous salon "half an inch = 2 inches" thing. Especially since 2 inches at this length is so drastic, but for me, at my goal of mid back it isn't as traumatic.

Ermine
May 11th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I'm self trimming at the pixie growing out stage. As for how... I just pay very close attention in the event I do get my hair cut professionally and use the same techniques. Best of luck. All I can say is go slow and keep reevaluating - you can always take off more but not less.

jojo
May 12th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Hi, if I was you and this is what I did at your length; do not trim until you can do a pony without clips. I made this my goal. your hair is so young on the ends, it shouldn't need a trim. The only reason to trim when hair is short is to keep it in a certain style. Put the scissors away and by the end of summer, you will lots of growth.

buttercupmcgee
May 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Hi, if I was you and this is what I did at your length; do not trim until you can do a pony without clips. I made this my goal. your hair is so young on the ends, it shouldn't need a trim. The only reason to trim when hair is short is to keep it in a certain style. Put the scissors away and by the end of summer, you will lots of growth.

Thanks for this, super helpful. Just wondering if you mean low or high pony?