PDA

View Full Version : Major damage

happybear
May 11th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Has anyone ever majorly damaged their hair from over-styling? Just curious as to some techniques people may have used to get hair healthy again.

My stylist told me recently that my hair is so fragile and damaged that I am not allowed to blow dry it or style it for one year.

I have very fine (like spider webbs) hair, that is thin and curly. I used to have very long hair, and it was healthy because I never needed to style it. Then a hairdresser told me that thin/fine hair looks bad long and convinced me to bob it. It has been short for 10 years now. I liked it short, however because it is curly (in a crazy way) it looks bad curly short, so I would always blow dry it straight. I also parted it on the side (in the same spot) for 10 years, and now my part line is apparently thinner than the rest of my scalp. I didn't know you shouldn't do that..

I have begun washing with BS, or HennaSooq's soapnut shampoo and conditioning with ACV, just to avoid any damaging chemicals.

I let it air dry now, and just bun it during the day because it still looks bad down.

I am coconut oiling, but it seems to heavy for my hair and I can't get it out easily without SLS shampoo.

I am also putting AVG on overnight, and want to start Jessies hair oil on my thinned out part, in hopes of getting some regrowth. I just henna-ed it on the wknd, and it definitely helped to strengthen it.

Can anyone recommend any other tried and true things that will help nourish my scalp/hair?

gthlvrmx
May 11th, 2011, 05:35 PM
That hairdresser lied to you!! Thin or thick, it looks beautiful whichever way you like it best! There are many members here with long, fine hair :D And it looks wonderful!
Protect those ends! :) Check and see what your hair really needs, i usually try a stretch test on a shed hair strand after a wash and check my ends after anything i did.
If the coconut oil isn't working anymore, you don't have to keep using it. Balance is the key :)

celebriangel
May 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Many people here find baking soda washes to be very harsh; have you tried the conditioner only method? Many curlies and wurlies find it to be good, and if you use a conefree condish there's no need for clarifying washes with sgampoo. I agree that you should probably give up blowdrying; many finehair find it to be very damaging for their fragile hair.

Additionally, you can get oil out with conditioner. I do a very heavy scalp oiling with castor oil before every wash; to remove, I soak my dry hair in conefree condish,massage in, leave on for 10 minutes or so while I run my bath and stuff, then rinse out. Perfect oil removal.

For damaged hair, really baby it. Braid your hair for sleep, and invest in a satin pillowcase. Avoid bobby pins and elastics with metal bits for updos. Comb your hair very gently with a seamless wide tooth comb. Don't brush, except perhaps with a tangle teezer. Also, nightshade has a wonderful article on caring for damaged hair here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Your hair is definitely not too fine for you to have it long. A male friend of mine has waist length, F/i hair. It is very thin and baby-fine. It is also incredibly, ethereally beautiful.

Is the side parting your natural part? If not, *maybe* that would cause some hair unhappiness. But if it is your natural parting, what your hairdresser said was foul lies. Letting your hair sit in your natural part is definitely not damaging. Good luck! You really won't believe how much difference you can achieve in your hair's health you can achieve with gentle care methods.

PS look for the smt thread, and try one. They are awesome for volume and moisture. There is no need to shampoo first, it is quite cleansing as well as moisturising - just do a quick CO to remove any gunk/oil/buildup/etc. They really are miraculous. :-D

PPS once you get enough posts, feel free to pm me or leave a message for some more advice and hugs.

|Xei
May 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM
If coconut oil is too heavy for you, you might want to try camellia oil (I use Oshima Tsubaki Oil). I also have fine hair, and I find that camellia oil does a great job of conditioning and protecting the hair, while leaving it non-greasy or weighed down. It absorbs really well, so personally, I feel like it's actually doing something for the conditioner of my hair. It IS a little on the pricey side, but you really don't need to use a lot of it. The most I've ever had to use for a regular oiling is 4 drops, but that was during winter when humidity was very low.

For 3 months or so now, I've been using a leave-in moisturizer called Phyto 9. This stuff is amazing. It eliminates frizz, gives a very lovely gloss to my hair, and makes it feel very silky. I have a lot of chemical/styling damage on the last 8 inches or so of my hair, and this leave-in makes even those parts look healthy. The effect seems to last as well, as I have forgotten to apply it several times after washing, but my hair retained that glossiness and silkiness. It's fairly pricey at $30CAD, but even for my length of hair (hip, and layered), I find that a pea-sized amount is sufficient. It's cone-free and scent-free as well, so perhaps that might appeal to you.

Products aside, I found that going cone-free and sulphate-free really helped me treat the damage that I got from a year or two of heavy styling (blow-drying every day, sulphate-shampooing the entire length, using a lot of styling products like mousse, clay, wax...). Sulphates were just much too harsh for my fine hair, and no matter how I've tried to dilute my sulphate shampoos in the past, they still dried out my hair. After going cone-free, moisturizing treatments actually started working for me, and that improved the condition of my hair immensely.

Like many others on this board, I really enjoy doing the SMT, but I tend to add 4-5 drops of oil to mine (usually camellia oil). I feel that it does a really good job of moisturizing my hair, and with long-term use, I do notice my hair becoming less frizzy, and a little easier to manage.

happybear
May 11th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Hi,

Thank you for the link. I find this site is overwhelming (but fabulous!) Seems like there is almost too much info! So some direction is much appreciated!

Ya the baking soda was a bit harsh, but I experimented with the ratio and I found one that is ok so far. I alternate with the soapnut shampoo. I have to wash my hair everyday though because it is quite oily. I am hoping that because I am no longer putting heat on my scalp (hot water and blow dryer) and not styling it that the oiliness will calm down a bit so I won't have to wash as much.

I am intrigued by the CO wash, but also afraid that it won't really clean the grease out of my hair. I will try it on a weekend and see what happens.

I think my natural part is in the middle but I liked the way it looks on the side. my stylist said that you should change up your part periodically if you blow dry/style a lot. She said that most people who straighten concentrate their energy on the top most layer of hair, because the top layer is what people see the most and you want that to look the best, so the hair around the part can get more damaged from pulling it taut to straighten and putting too much heat on it. It makes sense to me, I definitely manipulated the top layer the most, especially the front section (everyday for 10 years!) and now that I am parting it elsewhere, I can see that the thinned out area is only where my old part is particularly at the front.

happybear
May 11th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Products aside, I found that going cone-free and sulphate-free really helped me treat the damage that I got from a year or two of heavy styling (blow-drying every day, sulphate-shampooing the entire length, using a lot of styling products like mousse, clay, wax...). Sulphates were just much too harsh for my fine hair, and no matter how I've tried to dilute my sulphate shampoos in the past, they still dried out my hair. After going cone-free, moisturizing treatments actually started working for me, and that improved the condition of my hair immensely.

Oh god, I used so much bad stuff on my hair too, clarifying shampoos everyday, so many awful mouses, and thickeners that left so much nasty buildup! My hair was so dry. Ugh, never again!

I have only changed my ways for the past 3 weeks and I have already noticed a difference, especially after I henna-ed and incorporated AVG

I have seen Phyto 9 before but I can't remember where, did you get it at a salon? I want to give it a try

cowgirllong
May 11th, 2011, 08:00 PM
You are definitely on the right road if your hair has improved after 3 weeks!

celebriangel
May 12th, 2011, 04:21 AM
The reason I say BS washes are harsh is because they fluff up the hair cuticle. Now if you use ACV afterwards that should smooth it back down, but one of the reasons commercial hair is so bad is yhat repeatedly lifting the cuticle then putting it back down again will eventually mean it won't go back down properly. I am glad BS seems to be working for you, but please don't make the mistake of thinking that because something is 'natural' it is necessarily better or more gentle.

I used to have oily hair, and washed every day, but the reason my hair was oily was because I was stripping it every day, causing overproduction. I found that by weaning my hair onto gentler cleansing methods, my hair became much less oily. I now wash once a week with the CWC method, usibg dilute SLS free poo in the middle and conefree condish for the Cs. I also CO in between sometimes if I'm going somewhere special and it's not washday yet.
I really would recommend trying to stretch your washes, as it will really help to handle your hair as little as possible. I promise that the CO method will remove your greasies as long as you use a conefree condish at least for the cleansing part of the method.

If you decide to stick to your current method, I would try using a light conefree condish or leave-in (I do both) after the ACV rinse. Use it from the ears down to aid detangling, and it won't give you the greasies unless it is too thick or heavy for your fine hair.

With oily hair, cornstarch or baby powder are your best friends. Dust a little on your roots to remove excess oil. Also, a smooth updo turns wash-day hair into hait that iust looks shiny.

Camellia oil is a good choice for fine hair, and a few otuer options I've heard from the Fs are jojoba oil and sweet almond oil. How are you using your oil? If I run out of coconut oil I use EVOO, which I need to be careful.of as it's rather heavy, so I take literally one drop, rub my hands together so my whole palm is shiny, then runmy hands down my length. I the n use another.drop and put it on the last few inches only. I do this when my hair is damp after a wash. This might work for you with coconut oil; it's worth a try if you already have some, and many people find they can have success by changing the method of application rathet than the oil in the first instance.

Ah, I understand about your part now; fear not, if you are not heat styling this won't happen, and the hair should grow back (castor oil massaged into thin patches or all over the scalp has many reported successes for this sort of thing). Good nutrition (and maybe a multivitamin, but please choose one with a sane dose) will also encourage strong, healthy regrowth. It is fairly likely that you will regain some thickness.

Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions.

happybear
May 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I used to have oily hair, and washed every day, but the reason my hair was oily was because I was stripping it every day, causing overproduction. I found that by weaning my hair onto gentler cleansing methods, my hair became much less oily. I now wash once a week with the CWC method, usibg dilute SLS free poo in the middle and conefree condish for the Cs. I also CO in between sometimes if I'm going somewhere special and it's not washday yet.

I was doing the same thing too,

If I run out of coconut oil I use EVOO, which I need to be careful.of as it's rather heavy, so I take literally one drop, rub my hands together so my whole palm
is shiny, then runmy hands down my length. I the n use another.drop and put it on the last few inches only.

Oh dear,I think i have been majorly over oiling! I use far far more than one drop. Haha, that's probably why I have a hard time getting it out. I try it again with less.

happybear
May 12th, 2011, 05:11 PM
and by "same thing" I mean, I was stripping my hair everyday

Mina17
May 12th, 2011, 06:38 PM
[quote=happybear;1598532]

I liked it short, however because it is curly (in a crazy way) it looks bad curly short, so I would always blow dry it straight.
/quote]

Sounds kind of like my hair...I liked it short, but had to blowdry and straighten to make it look presentable. I don't have major damage, but my hair is pretty dry. I think I've seen the biggest difference with stretching the time between shampooing as long as I can, and I often use conditioner only instead of shampoo. When I do shampoo I use the CWC method. I've tried CO but my hair looks limp when I do that exclusively, so alternating methods works better for me.

I have trouble with oiling too. It's hard for me to find the right balance between enough oil and greasy hair. I usually end up having to put my hair up in a bun when I oil in order to hide greasy looking hair. I've found leave-in conditioners with a little Fox's Shea Butter Cream on the ends works better for me when I want to wear my hair down.

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm interested in reading other people's responses.

happybear
May 12th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I just want to say thanks to everyone that has responded, I really appreciate the advice!

I have trouble with oiling too. It's hard for me to find the right balance between enough oil and greasy hair. I usually end up having to put my hair up in a bun when I oil in order to hide greasy looking hai

I am going to give oiling one more try, Have you tried using Aloe Vera Gel? I find it really helps tame frizzies and moisturizes my ends without grease. Though if you use to much it gets a bit crunchy, but i would rather have crunchy than greasy!

vanillabones
May 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I am very greasy as well and have damaged hair and am just saying that CO doesn't work for everyone, you should try to see if it does for you, but it doesn't mean that it will get rid of your greasies, If I WO (water only) or CO my hair always looks and feels greasier than before.

I have an SLS free organic shampoo from EO that is wonderful though :)
I was every other day and if I use dry shampoo or baby powder I can go further. Good luck! I really recommend dry shampoo if you want to wash less :D

snoopy
May 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM
happybear,
I understand when you say your hair is thinning along your hair part
Hairloss could be coz of excess use of heat, but it could also be due to some other reason.
So to be on safe side

Get your thyroid levels check
Get your Iron level check

Start taking Biotin and MSM, believe me these will help you a lot.

happybear
May 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I am very greasy as well and have damaged hair and am just saying that CO doesn't work for everyone, you should try to see if it does for you, but it doesn't mean that it will get rid of your greasies, If I WO (water only) or CO my hair always looks and feels greasier than before.

I have an SLS free organic shampoo from EO that is wonderful though
I was every other day and if I use dry shampoo or baby powder I can go further. Good luck! I really recommend dry shampoo if you want to wash less

I am gonna try the CO wash on the Saturday night, and not shampoo on Sunday to see what happens, but need to find a decent condish, I am gonna grab a few tomorrow, I found a list on this site (though i can't find it again!) I recall VO5 conditioners were listed. I haven't used a traditional conditioner in a very long time. Many stylists told me not too and to use a leave-in instead.

last weekend I experimented with leaving AVG in overnight to "clean" and rinse in the morning. I found it worked quite well, and my hair felt clean when I woke up, like no sebum had accumulated over night (usually my thin hair is noticeably stringy and "scalpy" in the mornings) But I found by mid day, i could see a bit of scalp around my part, and when i took my hair down later it felt heavy. had I have put some dry shampoo in in the morning, it would have been fine. I use Cake's hair and body powder, it smells like cake and is tinted brownish/red so it isn't as noticeable. I hate the way it feels in the hair though, very gritty, and god forbid if it rains and I don't have an umbrella!

vanillabones
May 12th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I know what you mean! I feel like I have grit or chalk layered on my scalp with dry shampoo but I have to use it if I don't want to shower before work since I'll have to afterwards anyway. I'd love one to smell like cake but I don't like the tinted version dry shampoos :(

I would definitely not be skipping conditioner :)
I use V05 as my first C in CWC and I have the clairfying kiwi conditioner to 'CO' but I only CO wash if I need to clean my hair to put deep treatments on or something since it will leave my hair greasy anyway. :P

My hair is also very stringy and there are so many members here with long beautiful thin hair so you can definitely grow it and it will NOT look BAD :(

happybear
May 12th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Get your thyroid levels check
Get your Iron level check

Start taking Biotin and MSM, believe me these will help you a lot.

Genetic hair loss runs in my family as well, so that is also a worry of mine. I think the loss may be a combo of damage and natural thinning, though I don't know for sure, however I can safely say that i have not treated my hair well in a decade, and that has likely caused a lot of the problems I am trying to fix.

I used to take biotin, for 2 months, I didn't notice much of a change in my hair, but my nails were fantastic. perhaps you need to take it longer to notice the benefits in hair, or maybe the dose wasn't high enough

aspartame gram
May 12th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Happybear, good luck to you! Everyone has some amazing advice and I truly hope that it helps. I avoid most heat styling because I can immediately feel the difference in my hair. When I was in that transitory period between short pixie and above the shoulder length I would french braid my hair and pin it back. It helped mask the odd flippy habit it had because of the layers, and everyone complimented me on the style. Maybe that would help you too till it becomes longer?

happybear
May 13th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Happybear, good luck to you! Everyone has some amazing advice and I truly hope that it helps. I avoid most heat styling because I can immediately feel the difference in my hair. When I was in that transitory period between short pixie and above the shoulder length I would french braid my hair and pin it back. It helped mask the odd flippy habit it had because of the layers, and everyone complimented me on the style. Maybe that would help you too till it becomes longer?

Thanks I will try it! usually I "bun" it, and by "bun" i mean twist the length and secure it with a clip, so not really a bun, but the closest I can get with my length. It is getting bring though

I am currently growing out a chin length asymmetrical bob, so the back is a bit shorter than the front. the back is almost shoulder length and the front is hitting my collarbone. I want to trim the front to match the back, but I want to do it myself, stylists in my neck of woods don't recognize "just a trim" in their vocabulary, and call it "cut & style" and charge $50 for trimming a few stragely ends...so I'm gonna save my money

happybear
May 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM
UPDATE

So I just CO washed for the first time. I used TreSemme Naturals, silicone free Radiant Volume conditioner. I left it for 15-ish minutes, after massaging for a while. I rinsed, then followed with ACV rinse.

Verdict:

Very good!

I don't care for the scent, but wow did I ever get some serious volume! I would never have though a condith would actually clean my hair until i found this forum. I am now converted. My hair is super clean, voluminous and incredibly soft.

I just put it up and inspected for rogue hair-cleavage, and to my surprise, I have no hair cleavage today...this is interesting

Problem:

My hair is a bit too fluffy and fly-away at the moment. It is frizzy (but not dry frizzy). Maybe I left it on too long? Anyone have this problem?