PDA

View Full Version : Jojoba Oil

Annibelle
May 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I've read that a lot of LHC members really like jojoba, but could someone explain why? Or what their results have been? The only thing I've used thus far is coconut oil (which seems to work fine), but I'd like to do a bit more experimenting. :D

krissykins
May 11th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Jojoba oil is awesome because it's similar to the natural sebum your hair produces. It is essentially a liquid wax rather than oil, and it also is similar to silicones because it sits on hair and traps in moisture.

I love it because it makes my hair soft and shiny. I love my hair after I put jojoba oil on it :D

Tefnut
May 11th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Jojoba oil is balancing. Not too thick and heavy and is easily absorbed.

Tatybird
May 11th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I bought my first jojoba oil three weeks ago.
The reason I bought this oil is that I found quite a lot of good reviews here on this oil. I noticed that people who like coconut oil prefer jojoba oil as well. And as I really like coconut oil on my hair I decided to try the other one too. Moreover, jojoba oil can be used as a skin sun protection treatment. So when I was buying my oil I thought that in case I didn't like it on my hair, I would use it on my skin:) .
So far I've been using it only on my ends as the bottle is rather small (2oz). I apply the oil on my hair one hour before taking a shower. I like the result. My ends are soft, not greasy. Hopefully, I won't get any splits for a long, long time;)
Now I can say that apart from coconut oil my hair likes jojoba oil. Grape-seed oil will be my next try;)

HintOfMint
May 11th, 2011, 04:51 PM
It does in a pinch for my hair if I have nothing else lying around and it's feeling particularly dry and tangly.

I like it because it is light and multipurpose. I can use it to remove makeup and sunscreen.

Other than that, there's nothing I particularly LOVE about it. It's an alright, basic oil.

buttercupmcgee
May 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
This is by far my favorite oil. As Krissykins pointed out, it's the closest thing in nature to the sebum our scalps produce. I love to douse the length in a heavy coat and let it sit overnight. When I wash the next morning my hair is like satin. I haven't found any other oils that seem to absorb so seamlessly into the hair shaft. I also like coconut, but more as a frizz tamer than treatment.

WittyWordsmith
May 11th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I just got some Jojoba today, and so far so good! LOL. I'm really interested to see how my hair reacts over the next few weeks.

I ordered it because I heard it was a good starter oil, and I'd never used any oil on my hair before.

Thanks for asking this question, I was wondering myself!

Quezie
May 11th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I use it on my skin, actually. It regulates oil production, apparently!

I'm going to try it on my hair soon as well. (:

cowgirllong
May 11th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Jojoba oil makes my hair really soft and silky. When I put it on the ends and just left it over night, I didn't really see the difference. Then I saw a video on youtube where someone said they put almond oil on their hair from the ears down and left it for 2 days before washing. Like me, they wash once a week. I've been doing that for about a month and I am loving it!

Dragon
May 11th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I like mixing it with olive oil. I use it as a leave in conditioner.

Jenn of Pence
May 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I like jojoba; I don't use it in gobs or anything, but I like it on my hair as well as moisturizing my skin.

Jojoba oil makes my hair really soft and silky. When I put it on the ends and just left it over night, I didn't really see the difference. Then I saw a video on youtube where someone said they put almond oil on their hair from the ears down and left it for 2 days before washing. Like me, they wash once a week. I've been doing that for about a month and I am loving it!

:hmm: Interesting. I've been oiling my ends with jojoba lately. I'm not usually a heavy oiler because I'm a wear-hair-down kind of girl, but now that the weather is getting warmer I'm willing to do more updos to see what oil actually does to my ends. Even an overnight oiling makes them soft, but I'd certainly be willing to try this if the results are that good. Thanks for the tip! :D

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
I would say jojoba oil is the secret to my long hair success! :D I like to lightly oil my hair after it is fully dried, and sometimes before I braid it, it keeps my so hair shiny and soft! Also it doesn't smell bad :agree:

Zesty
July 3rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Jojoba is very nice and light, and I like that it has no smell, even straight from the bottle. I find using very little (I dip a finger into the bottle, rub the oil onto my palms, and swipe it down my hair a few times; 2-3 of these, usually, to distribute it through my hair) leaves my hair soft, shiny, tangle-free, and manageable, even without cones.

This is the only oil I've used so far. I think I might start getting some coconut oil for deep treatments or to mix into SMTs or something, and continue to use jojoba as my leave-in once my hair is dry. It's too expensive to use in large amounts. ;)

Isala
July 3rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
My favorite feeling in the world for my hair is when it is nearly all the way dry, but just a tad wet still- so it's a little heavier, a little darker, and a little smoother/ silky. I just tried jojoba for the first time a couple days ago, and my first impression is that jojoba makes my hair feel like this! It was cool! I think I put a little too much on, but it seems to have absorbed in over the days so it doesn't even look greasy anymore. When I put on too much coconut oil, I just have to wash it to make it look presentable again. I liked it! (I still love coconut too. I like playing!)

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
This is the only oil I've used so far. I think I might start getting some coconut oil for deep treatments or to mix into SMTs or something, and continue to use jojoba as my leave-in once my hair is dry. It's too expensive to use in large amounts.

It IS expensive, but it lasts forever if you use it in tiny amounts because that's all you need! x] I used Christmas money to buy my jojoba oil :D My dad was like, "You're buying oil with your Christmas money??" Why yes, yes I am! :P

Zesty
July 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
It IS expensive, but it lasts forever if you use it in tiny amounts because that's all you need! x] I used Christmas money to by my jojoba oil :D My dad was like, "You're buying oil with your Christmas money??" Why yes, yes I am! :P
Oh for sure. A very light oiling is enough to make my hair feel great. I only have a 1oz bottle of it right now and even after knocking it over and spilling a lot of it (clumsy me, I could have kicked myself :rolleyes:) I don't think I'll need another one for a while. And I don't want to change that by wasting it with oil + conditioner experiments. :eek:

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Oh for sure. A very light oiling is enough to make my hair feel great. I only have a 1oz bottle of it right now and even after knocking it over and spilling a lot of it (clumsy me, I could have kicked myself ) I don't think I'll need another one for a while. And I don't want to change that by wasting it with oil + conditioner experiments.

Ohh I did that too, I was so angry with myself!! :steam How much did you pay for yours? I got a 4oz bottle of organic jojoba oil for only $10 :o I've had it since December and it's not even a quarter gone!

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
I've read that a lot of LHC members really like jojoba, but could someone explain why? Or what their results have been? The only thing I've used thus far is coconut oil (which seems to work fine), but I'd like to do a bit more experimenting. :D
What I love about jojoba is that it acts almost like cones on my hair, it provides a nice, shiny coat and a bit of slip. When I braid my hair I usually use two or three drops of jojoba before, it looks sooo shiny :crush:
Jojoba oil is tricky, though, I can use lots of coconut oil and it soaks all up, but my fine hair finds it harder to absorb when I use too much jojoba.
Oh and also, it's an AMAZING skin moisturizer AND make-up remover ^^'

Zesty
July 3rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
Ohh I did that too, I was so angry with myself!! :steam How much did you pay for yours? I got a 4oz bottle of organic jojoba oil for only $10 :o I've had it since December and it's not even a quarter gone!
I think I paid like $5 and free shipping -- I really wanted the smallest possible amount so I could try it and not feel like it was such a huge waste if it didn't work. I've got my eye on an $8 4oz bottle for whenever I feel the need to replenish my stash (and I'll be more freaking careful with that one! lol).

swetiepeti
July 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
has anyone who used Jojoba also used Argan oil? Asking as that's what I'm using now, used to use either EVOO or almond oil for every thing but now use Argan for daily, and Almond or EVOO for big soaks. The EVOO I always have on hand for cooking so if I run out of anything I always go back to it although I prefer Almond oil if I'm going to mass apply sit and soak. The Argan I just use a few drops of daily starting at the ends and working up until I need to wash. I have to wear my hair braided for work (nurse) and so even if I oops and put on too much who's to know but me? I've yet to try coconut oil either. From the posts I've read thus far it looks like I"d try the coconut as a replacement for large dosing soaks and Jojoba for daily use instead of my Argan oil. Comments? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
I think I paid like $5 and free shipping -- I really wanted the smallest possible amount so I could try it and not feel like it was such a huge waste if it didn't work. I've got my eye on an $8 4oz bottle for whenever I feel the need to replenish my stash (and I'll be more freaking careful with that one! lol).

Oh that is a great idea! I am thinking about trying coconut oil, and so I think I will start with a small amount :) And $8 is a great deal! lol and do be careful, a bigger bottle = more space taken up on counter = higher chance of hitting it with your elbow and spilling it all! :D

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
has anyone who used Jojoba also used Argan oil? Asking as that's what I'm using now, used to use either EVOO or almond oil for every thing but now use Argan for daily, and Almond or EVOO for big soaks. The EVOO I always have on hand for cooking so if I run out of anything I always go back to it although I prefer Almond oil if I'm going to mass apply sit and soak. The Argan I just use a few drops of daily starting at the ends and working up until I need to wash. I have to wear my hair braided for work (nurse) and so even if I oops and put on too much who's to know but me? I've yet to try coconut oil either. From the posts I've read thus far it looks like I"d try the coconut as a replacement for large dosing soaks and Jojoba for daily use instead of my Argan oil. Comments? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I've used used Argan before. It's similar to jojoba but not as heavy. They are both good as a leave-in after washing. Personally I prefer jojoba, not only because it's cheaper, but because I'm sensitive to smells. And argan makes me nauseous, go figure :p

timotej
July 3rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
I have to ask - is jojoba similar to coconut oil in some way? Someone in this thread mentioned something like that I think - I would like to try jojoba (because I need shine) but if it acts anything like coconut oil that would leave me with dry and crunchy ends. Would it?

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 05:08 PM
I have to ask - is jojoba similar to coconut oil in some way? Someone in this thread mentioned something like that I think - I would like to try jojoba (because I need shine) but if it acts anything like coconut oil that would leave me with dry and crunchy ends. Would it?
I think that coconut has some protein in it, if it made your ends crunchy maybe your hair doesn't like it.
I think jojoba is nothing like coconut, though. It is more similar to our own natural oils, and while coconut penetrates the hair, jojoba acts more as a sealant and gives shine and slip.
I love them both for different reasons, you should give it a try. If it's too heavy as a leave-in, you can mix it with your shampoo or use it before washing. And if it doesn't work at all for hair, you can always use it as a face moisturizer or make up remover ^^'

Phiona
July 3rd, 2011, 05:09 PM
I use it on my skin and now my skin is absolutely clear!!!! I highly recommend it.

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 05:12 PM
I think that coconut has some protein in it, if it made your ends crunchy maybe your hair doesn't like it.
I think jojoba is nothing like coconut, though. It is more similar to our own natural oils, and while coconut penetrates the hair, jojoba acts more as a sealant and gives shine and slip.

So lemme get this straight: Jojoba doesn't penetrate? If it doesn't penetrate how come it becomes absorbed into my hair, and makes it soft without making it look oily? So for a deep treatment, I should use coconut oil? I tried EVOO, but it didn't really do much for me :/ Unless I used it wrong... D:

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
So lemme get this straight: Jojoba doesn't penetrate? If it doesn't penetrate how come it becomes absorbed into my hair, and makes it soft without making it look oily? So for a deep treatment, I should use coconut oil? I tried EVOO, but it didn't really do much for me :/ Unless I used it wrong... D:
I'm not sure, I could be an idiot and just said something wrong... there's a thread about it, lemme check.

timotej
July 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
I love them both for different reasons, you should give it a try. If it's too heavy as a leave-in, you can mix it with your shampoo or use it before washing. And if it doesn't work at all for hair, you can always use it as a face moisturizer or make up remover ^^'

Ok thanks, that sounds good!

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure, I could be an idiot and just said something wrong... there's a thread about it, lemme check.

You aren't an idiot, you are right about the slip and shine! ^-^

Regan
July 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM

Nah, you're absolutely right.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971

Jojoba oil is a polyunsaturated oil and it doesn't penetrate the hair shaft. Although I'm not sure if 'penetration the hair shaft' and 'absorbing' are the same thing.. Is it? :/

RitaPG
July 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
There it is!
http://www.untamedtresses.com/content/108-sorting-out-hair-oil-confusion.html
If you use just enough to give a light coating, it shouldn't look oily. Doesn't mean it penetrates, though. But then again, it could be a porosity thing and your hair absorbs it enough that it doesn't look oily. I can't use more than two drops of jojoba or my hair starts to feel oily.
EVOO is goof for deep treatments, I prefer coconut oil, my hair no longer feels brittle and dry. But some people mention it made their hair crunchy, so I think it could have something to do with protein (also because it's mentioned in an article that coconut oil prevents protein loss during washes)

Of course all of this is too realative and depends only on the hair type. You can try coconut, but if jojoba works for you, keep using it :)

SoulOfTheSea
July 3rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Wow thank you so much for that article guys! I had no idea there were penetrating and nonpenetrating oils! (Even though I have been lurking around LHC for over a year now!) I will definitely save that link and also I will give coconut oil a try :) Thanks so much again! :cheese: