PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice ASAP - Potential Bad Habit Forming

Gwen
May 11th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Lately I cannot stop touching my hair. I'm always touching, twisting, scratching, feeling, or playing with it and I. Can't. Stop. Maybe it's nerves or stress... I have no idea. I know that this can eventually cause damage though, and I was wondering if any of you have ever done this? I never did it in the past, but for some reason as of late, I'm always touching it (well, except for RIGHT NOW as I type this, lol).

How did you deal with this and eventually stop? I still do it even when my hair is up! :confused:

Gwen

Sweet Beat
May 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Same here! I Do it often, especially when I have braided my hair I play with the hair below the robberband.

Anje
May 11th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Sounds like stress... At least you're not pulling it out, right?

Easiest thing in the short term is to put hair up in a comfortable updo, then cover it with a silk scarf. Something to block your hands from reaching your hair.

Learning to knit or crochet might also be helpful.

spidermom
May 11th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I don't know how many people are like me, but I must admit that I'm very annoyed when people around me constantly fiddle around with their hair. I think it would be especially bothersome in the work place, so I hope you aren't doing this on the job.

I really don't see as it would be too damaging, though, as long as you aren't twisting it as tight as it will go or pulling the split ends open.

Gwen
May 11th, 2011, 01:40 PM
At work I'm usually ok because I'm typing or writing most of the time. It's in the evening as I watch TV (mainly) that is the problem.

I'm not pulling out my hair... I just keep touching it, playing with it, scratching (not massaging) my scalp lightly because it feels good (but I know if I do it too much it'll cause damage in the long-run).

Stress... Ya, that sounds about right. I need something else to fiddle with :p

Gwen

oktobergoud
May 11th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I have the exact same thing! I just can not stop touching it and it's really annoying. My mom has the same thing, and I have no idea what causes it.. boredom I think??

Sharifa
May 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I go through phases where I'll absentmindedly fiddle with my hair a lot. I think it is stress-related. It probably doesn't do much damage unless you're yanking on it or something though. I second the suggestion of knitting or crochet or some other type of craft to keep your hands busy, or try worry beads or a stone or something like that to touch instead of your hair.

spidermom
May 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Get yourself a silk shawl with fringe; play with that.

Intransigentia
May 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I'm a person who just plain gets a lot of pleasure from touching shapes and textures, and hair is lovely to touch, especially well-cared-for LHC hair! My suggestion: enjoy your hair, be gentle with it, and give yourself times when you can totally indulge in touching it. So for example, give it a good oiling and going-over with a BBB in the evening while you watch TV, get your fix, and then, as everybody else suggests, cover it up and find something else to do with your hands.

owlathena
May 11th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I touch my hair all the time too. In class, at home, all day long I'm running my fingers through it. I don't think its noticeably damaging. Its a stress thing for me. I notice I do it more when I'm feeling overwhelmed.

christine1989
May 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I do this too (and have for years) but no damage yet :). I figure, if it isn't doing damage then why stop?

WaimeaWahine
May 11th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I would just try to keep it up and out of the way and maybe get a toy to fiddle with while watching TV. :)

HintOfMint
May 11th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Silk scarves, updoes, and an iron will. I have the worst time avoiding fiddling with my hair.

Silverdragn7385
May 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM
When I wear my hair down, I'm constantly stroking the ends! Mostly because my hair feels SO SILKY! I can't stop touching it! :P

cowgirllong
May 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM
This is something I would never have thought of as being a problem. But I knit! I think the shawl with a fringe idea is great. I can get obsessive about playing with fringe on a throw.

mistik
May 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I'm a fiddler... always have been.

DreamDance
May 11th, 2011, 09:20 PM
If it's really bothering you, or you're fiddling with your hair in public (which many people find rude, not to mention the hairs you may leave behind from the fiddling) I second the worry stone.

I tend to be a hair petter when I'm at home relaxing. If I'm not fiddling with my own hair chances are I'm giving my hubby a scalp massage with argan oil. So, I don't see much of a problem with hair fiddling when not out and about or at work.

Hope you find something that is comfortable for you!

beccababesx
May 16th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I do this! It does cause damage, so my advice is put it UP and try to forget about it.

nobeltonya
May 16th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Same here! I Do it often, especially when I have braided my hair I play with the hair below the robberband.

Indeed, I do too! I'm bad about reaching around the back and playing with the ends when it's loose also.. usually I get a few loose hairs, though.. so that's my justification. :) At least I don't twirl, or chew on [yes, I've seen this..] the ends of my hair.. but, I've got to make a conscious effort not to touch it. *slaps* bad hands..

Audrey Horne
May 16th, 2011, 06:14 AM
A bit OCD-related hehe Yes, I used to do it too, I must confess. What have I done? I switched myself to entirely another habit, so I don't "torture" my hair anymore :-)

Barniie
May 16th, 2011, 06:19 AM
When I was younger I used to suck on my hair and wind little strands around my tongue until they got caught there one day and I had to get my hair chopped to get my tongue out! Not fun. That pretty much deterred me from then on ;)

julliams
May 16th, 2011, 06:21 AM
For me it's anxiety and boredom. I'm certain I'm doing damage to my hair as I pull my fingers through tangles. Not good!

Melanie Marie
May 16th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I think Anje's advice is really good. Cover your hair up with a scarf.

LadieRyrie
May 16th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Same here. I scratch my head a lot, especially when I do homework or when I'm listening to other people talk. In fact, I'm doing it now! Wow...okay.

Basically, you threaten your hands. If you find one in your hair, cut a fingernail really short on it as punishment.

Firefox7275
May 16th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I have always twirled my hair but the habit got really bad a few years ago - I do so when I am tired, bored, concentrating .... so it is not always anxiety as people assume (and comment on, so rude). I have definitely damaged my hair doing so: at one point I had terrible breakage in the middle of the ponytail from finger combing it. :(

I've partially managed to break the habit by stopping wearing a ponytail. Now I use a beak clip so the ends are not available, also deliberately transferring the habit to my fringe (bangs) as it doesn't matter if they get damaged. Lastly an unexpected side effect of wearing my hair curly and having to air dry loose, is not touching. This is ostensibly because I know if I touch my hair whilst drying it will go fluffy, but I suspect it's actually breaking the routine associated with the habit. :D