PDA

View Full Version : This could become an obsession

Stub
May 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
So last night I pulled something off my dog that was either a scab or a tick that had been scratched until bloody. I couldn't tell so I got out my old loupe (got it for a photography class years ago) to take a closer look. It was just a scab, but the healthy young dog hairs I saw under the loupe were SO amazing, I had to look at my own hair. OH. MY. GOODNESS. Magnification is very very very bad when one is looking at one's hair ends!! I had a huge desire to start snipping, but I refrained. But I am finding myself tempted to get that thing back out and start S&D'ing! Ha! Also, my hairs had a greenish tint under magnification, but it was wet from being washed and I was in my dark green bedroom, so no doubt the paint on the walls was being reflected under the lamplight. Still. Magnification!

Kristamommyx3
May 11th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Oh man, having the ability to see splits before They can be seen with the naked eye COULD lead to obsessive behavior. I'd say do it once a month and then put the thing away! Lol

jojo
May 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM
So glad my photography skills are not up to much; id be bald!

Jenn of Pence
May 11th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Yes.... I'm also way too obsessive to go there! :D

I think somewhere there's a thread or article with pictures one of our members took of hair under a microscope...I wonder if I could locate that again. It really is fascinating to see, like you said!

Stub
May 11th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Focusing through a loupe is very hard on my eyes but oh so fascinating. After I posted I went and looked through it at hair in the sunlight and the hairs look a little like fiber-optic cables. By which I mean the ends are dark while the length shines almost see-through. It's very weird! All the little imperfections are way too noticeable under 8x magnification though. The tiny splits and dots where it is broken but hasn't fallen off yet. I snipped a tiny clump of ends just to see if there would be a difference and I could totally see where one hair had been cut on a diagonal in the bunch. So cool. And the colors are amazing too! I can't look very long though, like I said it hurts my eyes, but it sure is fascinating.

tigereye
May 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Oh wow! I think you got me hooked too. I had a little peek through a mini microscope my dad gave me that cost a few pounds out of Lidl, and oh, my goodness! I looked through at my length, and some of my ends, and the colours are oh so beautiful! Like lots of miniature rainbows. And even the actual colour of the individual hairs. My natural colour is a dark, slightly reddy-brown, but you could see so many different shades of brown and red under the microscope.
Didn't find any splits through. Looks like S&Ding is doing the trick. I took a look at some hairbrush hair I was keeping to do some henna experimentation, and found some splits there to look at, and decided you are absolutely right. Magnification is a VERY BAD THING when it comes to split ends.

LittleFairy
May 13th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Magnifying sounds like S&D for Advanced to me ;)

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I don't even want to think about my hair under a microscope right now because I still have hair dye at the ends.

Venya
May 19th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I'd best avoid that, if I know what's good for me. I'd just go mad! : )

jenhow
May 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Sometimes, ignorance is bliss!
Actually - a lot of the time!!