PDA

View Full Version : Preventing breakage

Darkhorse1
June 17th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Sorry if I'm on a posting marathon, but I LOVE the fact there are other people here who can help me.

I'm trying to reduce how much breakage is in my hair. I have naturally wavy hair, and I work with horses/compete/show etc. As a result, I'm in the sun a lot, so I tie my hair up to reduce the amount of breakage/sun damage. However, I do get careless with hair ties (coated, non-metal parts), and I'm noticing breakage near the crown of my hair/head.

Any tips on what styles I can fashion with a tilly hat/baseball hat? I braid it when I ride, then fold the braid up with an elastic. I also use mega conditioner.

Are there any tried/tested/true sunblock for hair?

Riot Crrl
June 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Are there any tried/tested/true sunblock for hair?

Nope, not besides physical barriers like hats/scarves. The FDA doesn't approve SPF for hair products or even a testing process, because the ingredients don't really last so long on hair and distribution issues prevail too. (Some hair products state an SPF anyway, they get around it by claiming the SPF is actually only for the scalp.)

When you fold your braid up you can wrap a bandana or scarf around it then put a tie around that to keep it on. You should probably be able to use your "bad" ties for that, and the fabric will protect hair.

Other than that I would suggest to become pickier about the ties when using them straight on the hair. Covered elastics with no metal are not too bad, but scrunchies are even better.

busnutmedic
June 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I think Spidermom said she wraps ribbon around her braid tassels and then puts a scrunchy around that. That might help some. I haven't been braiding my hair lately at all because I'm afraid of breakage, but I think I will try that next time I braid.

Bonnie

Curlsgirl
June 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Take your time when detangling and also when you are putting up your hair and taking it down. It will be worth it in the long run. I braid, turn it up and fold it under and clip with a Flexi 8 sometimes. You can get the smaller scrunchies that don't show so much. They have a pack of small soft ones at CVS and Walmart. Or you could try the hair hosiery by Scrunchy or make your own with a pair of panty hose. I hardly ever use the elastic bands anymore. They just seem a little more prone to break the hair even without the metal.

Darkhorse1
June 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM
((HUGS)) thank you SO much!! These are awesome suggestions. I have a nice horsey scarf I use as a bandana--I'll use that over the braid when I fold it over, and tie it over that to avoid breakage. I'm a scrunchie nut, and recently have been using more of those terry cloth hair ties/braided fabric hair ties over hair elastics.

Can anyone reccommend a good leave-in spray on conditioner?

Curlsgirl
June 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
((HUGS)) thank you SO much!! These are awesome suggestions. I have a nice horsey scarf I use as a bandana--I'll use that over the braid when I fold it over, and tie it over that to avoid breakage. I'm a scrunchie nut, and recently have been using more of those terry cloth hair ties/braided fabric hair ties over hair elastics.

Can anyone reccommend a good leave-in spray on conditioner?

A lot of people here (including me) just mix a favorite conditioner with distilled water and put it in a small spray bottle. I like Biolage conditioning cream or Beauty Without Cruelty leave-in. It doesn't even necessarily have to be marketed as a leave-in conditioner though.

peacecat3
June 17th, 2008, 10:28 PM
What about snoods? French and Dutch braids tucked into a snood or scarf? Low buns? I find a good hair fork holds my hair like cement if I can do the bun properly (wrap it tightly enough, on damp hair). It would be great if you could post what works for you!

asantegold
June 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM
You can try to put aloe vera gel in your hair. Its a natural sun protectant.

sipnsun
June 30th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I also ride, show and teach riding lessons, so I'm in the sun a lot also. I love a clip I bought at Wal Mart, I put my hair in a bun on the crown of my head and this clip works like 2 chopsticks. My hair isn't as thick as yours, but this has worked great.

sipnsun
June 30th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I forgot, I usually coat it with a good conditioner, like Biolage conditioning balm before I pull it up to go outside. I usually don't use an oil because I think of how my skin burns with a tannin oil and I certainly dont want to do that to my hair.