PDA

View Full Version : Scalp only washes-do you get many tangles where wet meets dry?

shikara
May 11th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I'm wanting to give scalp only washes a go. Obviously there will be little to no tangles from below the nape and down, but am wondering what type of tangling may occur in the area where your dry hair meets the area that is having water poured over it as the water can 'push' hair down, so to speak. What are your experiences? Do you wait til it all dries before you comb it out, or do you do so right away?

DoubleCrowned
May 11th, 2011, 06:54 AM
My experience is that the length ends up damp from the rinse water because of gravity, so there isn't a wet-meets-dry situation, but I don't have much hair. I don't have trouble with tangles afterwards; just air dry without combing. I do not wash my hair tangled, though; I brush it well before washing.

jojo
May 11th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Ive not tried as yet but what a good question. Hopefully Spidermom will see this and post, she has just started these.

Gabriel
May 11th, 2011, 07:04 AM
I started scalp only washes on April 10th. So far I really like this wash method and have had little problems with it. I get a little tangling where my dry hair meets my wet hair but it's not really tangled or knotted, just the difference in wet to dry. I easily comb it out while it's still wet and then just leave it dry.

I do a full wash on Sundays. Every other day I scalp wash only.

I found that the conditioner I use on full wash days seems to help or hinder the tangle factor. One that coats my hair a little more seems to be problematic.

LornaDoone
May 11th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I have been doing scalp washes for about a year now and I've not had any trouble with tangling. I do make sure to comb out my hair before I wash it.

Once I take my hair out of the braid I have it in while washing and start to comb it out, there isn't a distinct line of wet and dry hair. In some places the wet portion of my hair extends several inches past the wet portion of the hair right next to it.

In my experience, combing out hair that is partially wet from a scalp wash is easier than combing out completely wet hair or completely dry hair.

islandboo
May 11th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Ha! I always just assumed it meant applying shampoo to the scalp and not the length - it never occurred to me that it meant wetting only the top of the head. Oh, well, it has been working just fine for me that way...

spidermom
May 11th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I get the least tangling if I leave my hair up until it dries, which can take forever, so I often end up taking out my "whatever" before my hair is fully dry, but I leave it alone until my hair is completely dry. I can always run a damp comb or fingers through my hair if I get any wonky bits.

Magicknthenight
May 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm wanting to give scalp only washes a go. Obviously there will be little to no tangles from below the nape and down, but am wondering what type of tangling may occur in the area where your dry hair meets the area that is having water poured over it as the water can 'push' hair down, so to speak. What are your experiences? Do you wait til it all dries before you comb it out, or do you do so right away?

I don't scalp wash much because of the tangles. Every time I've tried it i braid my length and sometimes cover that..Then wash only my scalp. I don't care for it. I wish i did because it would be good for my length. However no matter how careful I am when i take it out my scalp has a ton of tangles that i have to comb out wet. I don't wanna have to deal with them dry. I figure those tangles are worse then just letting my length get wet. For some reason when I do scalp washes my length seems to disagree with me as well. I have no clue why. I've tried tilting my head different ways and also washed it as if i were standing up straight under the shower. No matter what I do it just tangles and when i get out to comb my length rebels and the tangles in my scalp aren't worth it. I can go without washing for a while or CWC it all and its fine. Just try it once or twice and see if you like it. If not you never have to do it again :)