PDA

View Full Version : Hair Color Help!

adriana860
May 10th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hi all =)

I am considering putting henna in my hair. It will be my first time, thought, so I am very clueless as to how my hair will turn out if I do. I am trying to achieve the color down below. First of all, would I be able to achieve this look with henna and indigo? Should I just go with regular hair dye?

To all you experienced henna lovers, what exact mix of indigo and henna will achieve this look? Would anyone know how much lemon juice/vinegar/red wine/ water I need?

Thanks so much for helping a girl out!
Here is the picture:
http://www.celebhairstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Straight-hairstyle.jpg

PLEASE HELP!

Roscata
May 10th, 2011, 11:20 PM
It depends on your original hair color and the type of henna you use. Could you post a photo of your present hair color? :D

adriana860
May 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks!

Here is my current hair color in direct sunlight.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62682894@N04/5704295221/in/photostream

please help a girl out!

Anje
May 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM
You know, I'll bet you can get that color with just straight henna over your hair. Depending on the strength of the variety you use, it might take two applications, though.

No matter what, if you're not open to getting whatever result you get, do strand tests. Do them in little baggies and carry them in your pocket to keep them warm for best results. Then wait 3-5 days before you make any judgments, because henna usually starts out with orangey results and then settles down a bit.

I'd suggest using nothing but pure, warm water for the henna. Lemon juice typically doesn't give better results, and it's often irritating to the scalp.

jojo
May 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I agree with ^^ your hair is pretty dark already so a straight henna would give you a dark auburn colour.

Quezie
May 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I agree with Anje, try a stand test with just henna first.

Firefox7275
May 13th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Welcome! :) It's well worth a good read around the 'Recipes, Henna & Herbal Haircare' board, also working out the (PITA) search function. I learned, for example, that henna darkens substantially if you heat treat it.

adriana860
May 13th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Thank you all so much! :cheese:

Does lemon juice lighten the hair? Would I need to stay away from that? Should I add red wine vinegar to darken it?? Thanks again!

Strand test here I come.......

jojo
May 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Lemon juice "may" lighten light blonde to light brown hair but it really dries the hair out. Just add hot water to the henna, its all I did! oh I used to add a little EVOO too! Make sure when you wash it off use handfulls of conditioner; its easier than shampoo!

Good luck!