PDA

View Full Version : How to clarify?

Blackfire
May 10th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I dont know how to clarify my hair.... ive been washing every other day and alternating between Hairtrition, wich is sulfate free shampoo, and Mane n' Tail shampoo and condish. I heavily dilute the Mane 'n Tail... I DRENCH my hair in coconut oil before every shampoo and use mayo as a moisterizing treatment once a week before a shampoo... this has seemed to be working really well besides for that after a month my hair seems like these random hairs just want to go UP. it also feels just ever so slightly crunchy....:confused:

growingpains
May 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM
The two methods that I've read about to deal with cone type buildup (or buildup from most other products) are apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinses and baking soda. I use ACV, works well and is mild. For ACV I just mix it up with some water, an inch or so in a huge glass of water (dunno ideal proportions though) and dunk my hair in it once wet and shampooed. I condition after. I rinse it out, but others don't it seems.

I'm not sure how to use baking soda but it's more drying I hear. You may want to google both methods along with the long hair community; this is quicker than searching LHC itself.

Roscata
May 10th, 2011, 09:43 PM
There are two ways:
1. Baking soda and vinegar rinse: How to Go No Poo (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Go-No-Poo/)
2. Using a clarifying shampoo. Example of a cheap one: VO5 Herbal Escapes Clarifing Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying Shampoo (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=v05+clarifying+shampoo&um=1&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=919&bih=974&ie=UTF-8&cid=284137043932453457&sa=X&ei=dgXKTfnuMdLRiAKTxYWdBQ&ved=0CGcQ8wIwAQ#)

Good luck! :D

Blackfire
May 10th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I will try the ACV....sounds like the best option for me!

Anje
May 11th, 2011, 10:10 AM
ACV alone won't remove buildup from silicones, so it's not considered clarifying when used alone. Baking soda/Bicarb will remove them, but needs an acidic rinse afterward, which is where the vinegar comes into play. Vinegar does help remove soap scum and hard water deposits, which is where a lot of the confusion comes in.

Another thing to consider is that Mane'n'Tail is really high in protein. Some people's hair loves protein, but other folks find it builds up, making hair dry, crunchy, rough, and tangly. I'm in that second group and try to steer clear of the stuff. So if clarifying doesn't fix things for you, try switching to a protein-free routine for a while and see if it gets better.

HintOfMint
May 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I second the Mane 'n Tail protein issue. I've had major protein buildup from that brand and I've been sparing with protein ever since.

Good news is, a sulfate free shampoo still clarifies protein buildup (at least in my experience), so, as long as the other shampoo you already have doesn't have protein in it, you shouldn't have to get a new shampoo.

Blackfire
May 11th, 2011, 06:51 PM
well I did a plain ACV rinse a few hours ago, and think it really helped! usually my hair takes like two hours to dry.... It only took like an hour this time! it also is forming curls a lot better and has a lot more body....doesnt feel scummy or grainy like it has been so its probably the hard water and or coconut oil building up! my hair seems to do great with Mane 'N Tail so its prolly not protien.