PDA

View Full Version : Damp bunning, what was your experience?

Jcv-Shelley
May 10th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I've heard of damp bunning before and been to a couple threads, but I haven't visited many posts as to how long it takes for the bun to dry all the way through. From what I've read, most people's hair is wet as they take them down to dry during/before bed-time. I also wanted to know if anyone did anything special before putting it up. Like misting with diluted oil, conditioner, or even honey. I've heard the lazy wrap bun is used for this method, but can any other updos work? Like sock buns or Gibson tucks. Do you prefer to let dry halfway through? Pics would be great! :) I'm sorry if this has been discussed before! :o

staryfox6
May 10th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I like to shower at night before bed (I get extra sleep in the morning!), so i often sleep in a damp bun. Sleeping in a damp bun allows me to oil lightly and when i wake up i have gentle waves to wear loose.

Kristamommyx3
May 10th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I used to do this every morning and leave it in all day. It seemed to make my hair happy, but it gave me a very itchy scalp eventually. Possibly a fungal infection or other sort of reaction to having a constantly damp scalp.

Annibelle
May 10th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I let my hair dry half-way before bunning. So far, the only bun I know how to do is... well... just wrapping my hair up and sticking my spin pins in! I only have waist-length (though the last 5-6 inches are very wispy), fine hair, so it doesn't take long for it to dry, even in a bun (maybe two or three hours bunned). I usually just put a little bit of coconut oil on the ends before putting it up.

I was going to upload some photos, but it seems that they have to be from a website and not from my computer...? I'm new here!

Lianna
May 10th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I've been damp bunning everyday since around september last year. It takes long to dry, about 3/4 of a day for me. I used the sock bun mostly.

Annibelle, use photobucket (or similar) until you reach 25 posts, then you can have an album here.

chenille
May 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM
When I damp bun, I let my hair dry at least halfway, preferably more, and then gently comb with a large tooth comb before putting it up. This morning before work, I put it up in a cinnabun-type thing with a hair fork; and when I took it down today around dinnertime, it was still barely damp in the middle. My hair is between BSL and waist, if that helps. Oh, and I haven't yet tried adding anything to it before I put it up. I'm planning to find some clear aloe gel to see if I can invent some sort of leave-in that will encourage the bunwaves to stick around for more than a few minutes. :)

Annibelle
May 10th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Lianna! I just got a Photobucket account and uploaded some photos. Now I just gotta figure out how big to make them when I post them here... :)

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P5093648.jpg

^ My simple bun...

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P5093618.jpg

^ The resulting curl...

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/P5093628.jpg

^ The waves left after breaking the curl apart. This is a lot of volume for me-- my hair is actually waist-length (though very thin toward the last five or so inches) and stick-straight 99% of the time (though my hair will get some uncooperative waves any time it rains). So the bun does a lot for me!!! (But, despite what the photo may indicate, it does NOT turn my hair red! Ha! My flash decided to turn off for the last photo...)

HintOfMint
May 10th, 2011, 07:15 PM
It's pretty much the only way for me to have nice hair when it's down. It smooths out the top, gives me volume, and leaves loose curls at the bottom.

I shower at night so I end up sleeping in the bun.
If I have just washed my hair, I squeeze out the extra water and put in some sort of leave in conditioner, serum, coconut oil or some mix of the above. I'll fingercomb my hair upside down and then right side up. I'll then putz around on the internet or study as my hair dries just a little bit, occasionally running my fingers through my hair because I'm restless. Then I'll put it in a cinnabun at the top of my head, secure it with spin pins and sleep.

Sometimes it's still damp in the morning, sometimes not.

I also think damp bunning helps my hair retain the scent of my conditioner longer. But it could be just my imagination.

owlathena
May 10th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Beautiful curl annibelle!

I don't damp bun very often. I'm going to try to do it more. I use just a little coconut oil on half dry hair.

chelles2kids
May 10th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I do it both ways as already mentioned...I've washed & damp bunned before bed and slept in a bun on top of my head...I've also just kept it in a lose bun until I get ready to go to bed and then lay it over my pillow to finish drying during the night.

And...I've washed it first thing in the morning and then wore it in a lose bun until later that night till it's dry.

I have waves and damp bunning helps me tremendously to keep my wave formation...if I don't damp bun for at least a few hours my hair ends up a frizzy, poofy mess.

During the summer months...I actually wash more often in the morning & put up wet to help keep me cooler during the hot summer days.
Yes...I'm a bad girl & have been known to wash my hair twice in one day if it's super hot or I've been outside and have gotten super sweaty.:silly:

Debra83
May 11th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Funny I just found this thread....I'm sitting here with a damp, not soaking, sock bun thing on my head about to go to bed. I just finished watching, for the second time since being on LHC, the "sock bun (secret sock bun method) curling hair method" you tube video that somebody post in a different thread. My hair is longer now than the first time I watched it, so I thought I would give it a try again. (first time, my hair was too short for it I think and I ended up with pretty zany curls.) This time may go better...hard to say with my fine, wavy/curly hair. Also, I don't remember if I did it the first time as the girl in the video or not. Don't remember the ponytail holder part. If it works in the morning, I'll try and grab a pic before I rush off to work!

shikara
May 11th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I also prefer to do damp rather than more wet and often will dampen my hair both before bed and before an updo the next day. It seems to make my hair feel more luxurious but even better, it's so darn nice to comb through after. I don't particularly jump up and down about bun waves on me for some reason, so I will dampen the last 5 inches or so and roll it into a large roller, or wrap it in a cutting from a nylon stocking and do two very large pin curls. I've also just twirled it around and around and worn a scarf, gypsy style. Often, if I've dampened and bunned it, there may still be some dampness in the morning, but that's just fine because it's going up again anyway!!!

Sundial
May 11th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Annibelle those curls are so pretty!

annieangel149
May 11th, 2011, 01:25 AM
damp bunning never worked for me! when i took it out the next morning my ends were all dry and crunchy! why is that?

Annibelle
May 11th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Annie, have you tried oiling the ends before bunning? I always do, and I've noticed that my ends always come out smooth and nice but the oil has all been soaked up while bunned! I think oiling could really help you!

Chetanlaiho
May 11th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I like damp bunning since it seems to make my buns much more secure xD and if I do a lazy wrap bun my hair dries up pretty straight. Unfortunately I have to wrap the ends so they get this kind of weird c form rather than a curl :/

Sophie.Bold
May 11th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I always avoided this as my grandma back in Colombia(very hot weather) would say my hair would rot on the always wet part, get a black dot on that part and break from there, So I have never done.... Wonder If Grandma was right.....

Fufu
May 11th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I do damp bunning recently, though i usually let my hair to be about 80% dry before bunning and when I wake up and let go my hair, I adore the curls and volume it gave to my straight and limp hair.

Jean Stuart
May 11th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I like to damp bun when I add extra oil or cream to my ends after a wash.

jojo
May 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I havent done this in a while but I bun with damp hair; my hair takes forever to dry though its waist and thick.

Now honey I have been using in conditioner but it can lighten hair as it has a natural peroxide in it. To just benefit from the moisture and shine it gives microwave the honey first and this will kill the peroxide in it. I get lovely results from honey, even putting it on neat to freshly washed hair and then rinsing is a wonderful treatment and no its not sticky!

baaaad_kitty
May 11th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Noob question: How do you sleep with your bun? On you back still, or on your side? I assume the bun is at the back of the head and not at the nape (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And also, don't the pins stick you when sleeping? I tend to move around a lot when I sleep but I have been thinking of damp bunning

Debra83
May 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Okay....drumroll....here it is!! (secret sock bun curls)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=102607

Anje
May 11th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I don't do this a ton, because I find that my scalp becomes displeased with having a damp bun against it for hours on end. But it does a nice job at making my ends feel more moisturized.

It's best for your hair if damp buns are not tightly twisted, as damp hair is more likely to stretch and break.

So the bun does a lot for me!!! (But, despite what the photo may indicate, it does NOT turn my hair red! Ha! My flash decided to turn off for the last photo...)
But does it turn your hair purple, as the second photo seems to indicate?

Lianna
May 11th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I always avoided this as my grandma back in Colombia(very hot weather) would say my hair would rot on the always wet part, get a black dot on that part and break from there, So I have never done.... Wonder If Grandma was right.....

I live in a very hot weather myself (Brazil) and have been putting my hair up all my life (minus the few years I had a pixie twice). And I wash my hair everyday.

baaaad_kitty, the best way for me to secure a bun to sleep is a scrunchie, not pins, they would slide down. I think I sleep in all directions, but mostly side.

Silverdragn7385
May 11th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I damp bun during the week. I wash my hair in the mornings and blowdry the top of my head just enough to get my bangs dry enough to properly style them. I let my hair down at night. It's usually still a bit wet when I let it down. Unfortunately, I really don't get much volume or pretty waves when I let it out. It still looks flat and wonky. If I slept on it and it dried completely, it usually looks a bit better...but not nearly enough to wear I'd want to wear it out like that in public.

Angel_Abby
May 11th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Noob question: How do you sleep with your bun? On you back still, or on your side? I assume the bun is at the back of the head and not at the nape (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And also, don't the pins stick you when sleeping? I tend to move around a lot when I sleep but I have been thinking of damp bunning

I use a scrunchy and position the bun at the top of my head. I roll alot in my sleep, so having it on my neck, or the back of my head would probably wake me up!:)

Jcv-Shelley
May 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Staryfox6 - I've been taught to avoid sleeping with wet hair, my grandma said it would give me a headache in the morning; (even still I tend to do so, I myself also love extra sleep.) I'm not a fan of the bun waves though, so I might start just oiling my ends.

Kristamommyx3 - When I'm out the door my hair is usually dry and down (I know I know) so I wouldn't know what it would be like to have a wet bun all day. A fungal infection doesn't sound too pleasant, maybe it could be the sunlight? Or maybe you have hard water? Sorry this doesn't work for you

Annibelle - Don't worry, I can't do many buns either 'cause of my short, poky layers(at least no good ones). My hair is inching it's way to bsl, but maybe I'll get waist length after another year or so. My hair on it's own can take 4-5 hours to dry, so 3-4 hours damp bunning would be a miracle for me. And thanks for that lovely picture!

Chenille - I still need to stash up on my hair-toys, I only have the basic ones. Adding aloe vera sounds like a great idea! Wish I could try some shea-butter but it doesn't sell where I am.

HintofMint - Glad to hear damp bunning is working well for you. I don't use serum since I've given styling products a while ago. I have heard of others also having that leftover conditioner smell, it must be a pretty neat thing. I also was never fond of finger-combing because I could feel and hear it squeak against my fingers. Lol I'm restless as well, always patting my bun thinking to myself “is it dry yet, is it dry yet already?!” My hair can't handle any kind of pins when it's wet, it will eat it up.

Chelles2kids - Bunned or not, when I shower before sleep it's never dry in the morning. I almost can't believe the patience people have for damp bunning, I think I could only damp bun on the weekends cause going out with wet hair was never a favorite for me. I also think damp bunning could benefit curlies a lot as well. It's even given my heavy, straight hair a couple of waves here and there.

Debra 83 - Ironic how these things happen, no? I think the secret method was to wrap it around your ends then fold the rest of your length in next (sorry for my inability to explain these things) and the “normal” way was to fan it around the sock then tuck in the parts that stick out. I remember when certain updos would give me wacky curls when my hair was shorter as well. Thanks for taking the time to get that pic.

Shikara - Finally, someone who also isn't so excited over bun-waves from damp-bunning haha. Interesting way of styling your ends. Haha so true. I probally wouldn't care if my hair was wet if I was going to put it up anyway.

Sophie.Bold – Like I've mentioned, my grandma said it would give me a headache, turns out I've just been doing it wrong lol.

jojo - My hair isn't that long but it's thick, and also takes a couple of hours to dry. If I wash in the evening it's always damp before bed. I've also heard of honey actually being a leave-in. Here's the link. http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17026

Anje - I always am kinda scared that I tucked in my ends wrong, or wound up my bun too tight...

Silverdragn7385 – When I damp-bun, my hair is almost always wet when I let it down. And the waves I get from it actually look un-natural as well since my ends are straight while my length is curly. The number of times I've slept with damp hair and woke up with it dry is none-nada; maybe it's 'cause of my fan?

baaaad_kitty
May 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Fascinating stuff, these bun waves!

Debra83: your hair looks really nice!

Debra83
May 11th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Debra 83 - Ironic how these things happen, no? I think the secret method was to wrap it around your ends then fold the rest of your length in next (sorry for my inability to explain these things) and the “normal” way was to fan it around the sock then tuck in the parts that stick out. I remember when certain updos would give me wacky curls when my hair was shorter as well. Thanks for taking the time to get that pic.

Yeah, really weird how these things happen. Yes, you do well in describing the secret method - I couldn't do it better, except post the link to the youtube video! Your welcome for the pic!

Fascinating stuff, these bun waves!

Debra83: your hair looks really nice!

Thank you!!! I took the left over curls tonight, and without wetting or washing, put them up in a "secret sock bun method" again. All I did was spray a little of the Ojon hair leave in in it first because we have had torrential rain tonight, and they are calling for flurries, so I'm trying to help avoid frizzies in the morning! Same deal, I'll try to post a pic tomorrow morning before working both jobs tomorrow day and evening - that is if I don't wash it out after undoing it when I get up. We'll see!!!

pittsburgpam
May 12th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I damp bun quite a lot since I almost never blow dry my hair (maybe twice in the last year). I usually put it up when I get to work so it's not dripping wet. When I take it down in the evening it's usually a little cool damp still. I haven't had any issues with it and I love how smooth and silky my hair is when it dries.

Debra83
May 12th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Yeah, really weird how these things happen. Yes, you do well in describing the secret method - I couldn't do it better, except post the link to the youtube video! Your welcome for the pic!

Thank you!!! I took the left over curls tonight, and without wetting or washing, put them up in a "secret sock bun method" again. All I did was spray a little of the Ojon hair leave in in it first because we have had torrential rain tonight, and they are calling for flurries, so I'm trying to help avoid frizzies in the morning! Same deal, I'll try to post a pic tomorrow morning before working both jobs tomorrow day and evening - that is if I don't wash it out after undoing it when I get up. We'll see!!!

Here it is this morning:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=102660

terpentyna
May 12th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I damp bun, because like Anje said - it is such a miracle for the ends...

Recently I've shed so much afterwards that I have to stop and see if this is the problem as I suscpect. does anyone have any idea why this may be? I do toss around at night a lot and maybe my hair is safer when loose...

Roseate
May 12th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I almost can't believe the patience people have for damp bunning, I think I could only damp bun on the weekends cause going out with wet hair was never a favorite for me.

For me, damp bunning requires less patience than drying down; I hate having damp hair all over me, and my drying time is similar to yours, so it takes half the day to dry if it's down.

If I bun it, it doesn't bother me that it's damp, since it's up and out of the way. I don't think I would ever have given up blowdrying if I hadn't discovered damp bunning.

tigr
May 13th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Debra83 - It looks great!

Jcv-Shelley
May 13th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Pittsburgpam – For some reason, no matter what I do; my hair dries a little cold (I bet it's the AC). I gave up the blow-dryer some time ago. I could never find the right one (either it was too strong or weak.) Gave me some split ends to snip off as well!

Terpentyna – I still can't believe that water can moisturize the hair, but it seems to be a so nice to a lot of members in LHC. I can't help you much with hair-loss. Have you tried damp braiding or using scrunchies/ouchless elastics? Maybe a satin pillowcase would help. Or maybe your hair is just falling out of the bun and you need a more secure one (I heard the sock bun was good).

ETA: I remember jojo asking me for a certain link in the secret sock bunning method. I'm not sure if anyone on LHC made a vid about it. But I found a girl who can explain it fairly well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM

annieangel149
May 13th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Annie, have you tried oiling the ends before bunning? I always do, and I've noticed that my ends always come out smooth and nice but the oil has all been soaked up while bunned! I think oiling could really help you!

just found your reply! yep thanx! why did't i think of that? lol! i will try it :hifive:

jaine
May 13th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I use this bun for damp-bunning (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61439154@N03/5700869390/in/photostream) at shoulder length with layers ... it's a modified french twist, I suppose. I make it with my finger like that because it gives me more symmetrical bun waves than starting it out like a peacock twist and then tucking the ends under. Actually, you can see my bun waves from that bun in the beginning of the video, because I dried my hair in the same bun.

I'm always on the lookout for buns that will look good at work and then create nice symmetrical bun waves when I take it down.

Another good one that I like is one big rag curl at the nape of my neck, using a pretty scarf for the rag, and then pinning the ends of the scarf so it looks like a flower.

ETA: oh and I love, love, love putting hard-hold gel in my hair before I damp-bun it. It makes my hair super smooth and soft and shiny when I take it down and brush it out. I get the smoothest hair from that if I let my hair completely dry before I take it down, including the bun.

Debra83
May 13th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Debra83 - It looks great!

Thank you!!! Turns out I like the results from the damp "secret sock bun" to the dry "secret sock bun". Could be too that it was freshly washed with the damp one and washed the day before with the dry one....plus, I curled the curled hair again too.

gthlvrmx
May 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I tried it once and only once seeing that sleeping on my wet hair caused me so much itching in the morning and the rest of the day. Not so comforting. I damp bunned once and i got the same results, just over where i had the bun. I didn't like the feeling, i just liked how smooth and together all my hair looked in a bun :p

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM
When I'm to tired to stay up after taking a shower before bed I'll part it then twist each part in towards me then after twisting enough it twirls itself into a bun and then I secure it with a scrunchy, the results for me are wavy hair with curls.

jojo
May 14th, 2011, 07:49 PM
love your waves Debra! I have been doing the sock bun thing where you roll the hair round the sock; brilliant! I never knew to do sock buns like that before, I aways just brought my hair in the middle of the sock and smoothed it over! wondered what the rave was about but i saw the same video as Debra and tried.

One question though, is it ok to do this every time I wash my hair? My ends feel great but I just wondered!

Jcv-Shelley
May 16th, 2011, 05:18 PM
jojo – I've never been to keen on the sock bun, but the new method is a whole lot easier! I would think that as long as your not tucking in the ends wrong, or see-ing any damage itself; there's nothing wrong with it.

jaine- That's a great thing to have; nice curls just from bunning. My curls always ended up awkward and uneven. I've never heard of applying gel while it's drying, I'll have to try that! I see you like wet-styling, and thanks for that video. :)

gthlvrmx – Back then I had itching problems from my scalp because I let my damp hair down while I slept, when it was in a bun though; I found it okay. At least it made your hair look smooth that day :p

washurei – Haha that happens on almost all of my wash-days, so I know how you feel. Their seems to be a lot of variation in “damp-bunning,” I used to think it was a one-way kind of thing. I'm surprised that a lot of people benefit from this. I'm just one of those people who puts it up while it's wet cause it gets in the way. (And I don't like the feel of it.)

xbanannax
December 4th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I was searching google images for "chelating shampoo before after" and came across pictures from Annibelle under related images. What a random yet relevant thread find!

Wow, anyway, I have been doing this technique off and on since I was 14; I'm now in my thirties. I got away from this technique for about 10 years when I discovered flat ironing and Brazilian blow outs. I'm back to it as I try to grow out the damage. My hair options are limited, because the curl pattern in my hair is very random and requires heavy gel or heat to manage. This technique has always made my hair more smooth and manageable and avoids heat and product. Occasionally though, I do use product to enhance the result. The technique varies based on my hair length and desired out come.

I discovered this technique by accident. I took showers at night and didn't know what to do with my curly hair out of the shower besides moussing and scrunching. So, after the shower I would towel dry, brush, and twist up the hair into a sausage and clip it vertically with a large claw clip to get it out of the way. When I began doing this technique my hair was APL and not really long enough for a bun, but rather just a vertical sausage like twist. The end of the twist curled nicely then and more or less stayed in the clip or just peaked out of the top. Here is a recent picture of the sausage so you get the idea (minus the clip). Of course my hair is much longer here:

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/loodieloodieloodie/Hair/561be244-570c-4a21-8f57-3e25776a2146_zpsqqg4w0uz.jpg

Then I would go to sleep, claw clip and all. Of course the more wet the hair, the longer it took to dry. Sometimes I would wear it up in the clip for two days to get it to dry completely, retwisting it in and out of the claw through out the day. The result was the same every time ... smooth curls and I was like hell yea! If may hair was completely dry when I would undo the twist, the result was tight spiral curls. If my hair was still damp, the twist would create loose spirals or waves. The longer my hair got the more of a bun it became. Like this:

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/loodieloodieloodie/Hair/c2ba9897-e2a4-453b-b105-3f67f6c04f0f_zps1tzfz8nx.jpg

Which gave this, ca. 2000:
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/loodieloodieloodie/Hair/IMG_9344__zpswc8qsulb.jpg

...and more recent pictures:
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/loodieloodieloodie/Hair/IMG_9007__zpssnsdxvxv.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/loodieloodieloodie/Hair/IMG_8202__zpspy50qjzq.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/loodieloodieloodie/Hair/IMG_8207__zpsybyjpzaa.jpg
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/loodieloodieloodie/Hair/IMG_972640_zpswrpep3rt.jpg

I am very picky with what the end of the twist looks like. I don't like straight ends. Perhaps because of the heat damage my hair doesn't curl like it used to or maybe my hair has changed, so these days I have to clip the ends carefully to create a nice spiral that matches the rest of the length (notice the small clip in the second picture). If I want my hair to be completely dry in the morning, the hair must be barely damp when I twist it and even then sometimes I will wear the bun during the day because it didn't dry all the way through. As you can tell from the pictures I get from waves to spirals, and anywhere in between when I unravel the twist.

Obsessed1
December 4th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Looks lovely. I always sleep with a bun but I do it with a hair tie which makes my ends look frazzled and kinked in the morning. I need to figure out another way. I've never tried a sock bun. I wouldn't do it do personally because my hair takes 3 hours to dry even if it's just down and in warm weather. Doing plaits or a bun dry is enough to change the style of my hair overnight. Occasionally I will spray the tiniest amount of water on the outside of the plait, barely a mist, if my hair was damp inside a bun or plait it would never dry

Obsessed1
December 4th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Wouldn't do it damp* sorry

cat11
December 4th, 2015, 07:33 PM
That looks good!

So far I have found damp buns give me tangles...

Sarahlabyrinth
December 4th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I am happy to damp bun, but only if my hair is around 90% dry. I don't use any leave- ins.

cosmic crusader
December 4th, 2015, 09:34 PM
I always sleep with a bun but I do it with a hair tie which makes my ends look frazzled and kinked in the morning.

I use a stick and my ends are still kinked and frazzled after damp bunning, even after a good trim :[!

Frankenstein
December 4th, 2015, 10:52 PM
I always damp bun on wash nights but it can take forever to dry. It makes my ends look wild and flippy.

xbanannax
December 5th, 2015, 10:42 AM
That looks good!

So far I have found damp buns give me tangles...

Thanks! Do mean after you untwist the bun?

... I always sleep with a bun but I do it with a hair tie which makes my ends look frazzled and kinked in the morning. I need to figure out another way. ...

I use a stick and my ends are still kinked and frazzled after damp bunning, even after a good trim :[!

To form nice ends I place my finger (usually my thumb) in the center of the sausage (axial direction) and twist the remaining hair end pieces around my finger forming a spirally coil. Then, I slide the coil off the finger. At this point the coil is akin to a pin curl except it's a cylinder shape. I clip it using a small clip like this :
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa450/loodieloodieloodie/Hair/IMG_9891-1_zpsc7d1toi4.jpg

Ignore the fact that some of the teeth are broken, but I like these clips because the tip of the teeth on the left and the right rest on each other instead of folding past each other like some claw clips do. This is a good thing because it holds the coil in a cylinder shape and doesn't smush it .

Hairkay
December 5th, 2015, 12:09 PM
I've had damp buns. It does take longer to dry but it stretches out the ends of my hair a bit. Growing up we got bantu knots (little buns) after shampoo day on damp hair. I don't use hair dryers so my hair just has to dry in whatever way I've styled it.

Alastríona
December 5th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Damp bunning always resulted in wet hair x hours later, and an itchy scalp. Shame, I'd love for it to work!

Xbanannax, fabulous curls, love it! Welcome to the forums.... and I have a feeling I stalk you on your nail blog as well...

:-)

EbonyCurls
December 7th, 2015, 05:03 AM
I only dampen the bottom 2/3 of hair when I damp bun (otherwise I would get scalp issues from the constant dampness). I do not add any additional product between washes (save gel on roots for smoothing back updos/ponytales), as I find that the water is moisture enough and prevents build up of products. Also, I have found for my hair that adding any additional moisturizers without 1st washing out the previous ones, makes my hair tangly and brittle.

Also, I use globs (handfuls really) of V05 moisture milk conditioner as my leave in when I style my hair after washing...so merely adding water when damp bunning is enough to reactivate the moisturizing properties of the leave it.

DB'ing leaves my hair soft and supple in the morning which makes it easier to wash if it's a wash day, and easier to comb through if it's an updo day, with little or no breakage. I can only comb through my curly hair if it was recently damp (or sopping wet), without getting breakage.

roseomalley
December 7th, 2015, 09:45 AM
I have been damp bunning for two years. I apply Camelia oil to the ends of my damp hair only and bun into a high cinnamon bun held with spin pins. I usually do this at night before bedtime. The next day, My hair has a nice wave. I should add that I have fine hair, so it easily drys by morning. Not sire how thick hair would dry?

xbanannax
December 7th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Damp bunning always resulted in wet hair x hours later, and an itchy scalp. Shame, I'd love for it to work!

Xbanannax, fabulous curls, love it! Welcome to the forums.... and I have a feeling I stalk you on your nail blog as well...

:-)

Thanks, it's a great place to be! Also, perusing is totally not the same thing as stalking ;) :couch:

lithostoic
December 8th, 2015, 01:08 AM
My hair always ends up not dry in the morning. Even if it was just barely damp enough to feel cold, it's exactly the same level of dampness when I take it out.

Phanaferous
December 8th, 2015, 11:35 PM
I do this all the time, but it's really out of laziness. Here's how my mornings look when getting ready to go to work: Finishing up in the shower, enjoying the warm water; maybe I'll check the time -- wipes off the glass to peer at clock-- crap! I have 5 minutes to get in the car! Frantically dry off, turban hair, quick swipe of deodorant and mascara, quick brush of teeth, unturban hair, twist into bun, throw on my scrubs and run for the door.

It's still damp 12 hours later when I get home, but in all fairness it started out as almost dripping wet. I'm sure it has some waves once it dries completely, but by then I'm ready for bed and will brush it the next morning, so they don't last.

Ingrid
December 9th, 2015, 12:36 AM
My hair takes more than a day to dry completely. When I put it up damp, it takes 3 days to dry. No joke!

Priska
March 19th, 2023, 07:29 AM
I've never even known about this, thanks! Must try also this way to get nice hair :)

Ada-banana
March 19th, 2023, 11:25 AM
This moisturizes my hair, so I do it every time I take a shower.

SeppV
March 19th, 2023, 12:29 PM
I stopped doing anything that would slow down the time it takes for my hair to dry. The longer the hair stays wet, the worse for the hair. Maybe it's nice, as far as styling goes (some curls/waves), but I think the hair benefits more from just getting dry as fast as possible. Not talking about blow drying with high heat, obviously. Personally I air dry with my hair loose, but if I had a blow drier I would probably blow dry with cold air. My hair dries fast anyways, but if I bun... I imagine it would take, really, really long!

lapushka
March 19th, 2023, 02:23 PM
Think about what it does to laundry when you bundle something inside something that's wet. Yeah. I would not do it to hair either.

rosenester
March 19th, 2023, 03:11 PM
I used to do this all the time the years before I joined LHC and a little bit last spring, I brushed it and bunned on my nape with a satin scrunchie, slept on my side, usually biked to work with the bun still in and brushed it out when I arrived at work. it gave me really pretty loose waves. It took 12-15 hrs to dry rather than 2-4 hrs normally (humidity and temperature dependent).

My scalp did not suffer, but I wondered if I was damaging the hair by manipulating it so much when wet by brushing it and prolonging the drying process. So I switched to air drying and only brushing my hair when fully dry while I grow out the remaining bleach damage. But I do miss the bun waves, but I am now trying to embrace my natural texture rather than manipulate and change it :shrug: I find it interesting that so many LHCers do this (or used to) :flower:

Edit to add photo: damp bunned vs air dried April 2022
https://i.imgur.com/QhTSEdcl.jpg

mochichichi
March 19th, 2023, 03:35 PM
I can only wash at night because when I bun damp my hair will still be wet when I take it down and the inner most loop will hold wave more than the rest leading to a weird lopsided loop.

embee
March 19th, 2023, 04:28 PM
Seems like when I damp bun, my hair inside the bun does not dry for a very long time and I don't like that. Mostly it depends how damp though - and how tight the bun. There's also a smell to bunned damp hair and after a while it gets sorta sour, at least to me.

foreveryours
March 19th, 2023, 04:50 PM
Seems like when I damp bun, my hair inside the bun does not dry for a very long time and I don't like that. Mostly it depends how damp though - and how tight the bun. There's also a smell to bunned damp hair and after a while it gets sorta sour, at least to me.

Yeah, that smell is called growth and not of the good kind

Fiorentina
March 20th, 2023, 02:07 AM
Think about what it does to laundry when you bundle something inside something that's wet. Yeah. I would not do it to hair either.

I think that says it all and I am totally agree with lapushka, indeed.
Regards
Fiorentina

WednesdayAddams
March 20th, 2023, 02:44 AM
As thin and fine as my hair is, it never dried when I damp-bunned. So I gave up after a few tries.

shelomit
March 20th, 2023, 06:03 AM
This is what I do after washing my hair (sometimes just a bun, sometimes a braid or braids into a bun). It's true that it makes my hair take even longer to dry. . . but it already takes more than a day for my hair to dry if it's down, so I'd much rather have the convenience of it getting out of the way than the convenience of a sliiiiiightly less egregious drying time. No scalp complaints, but I've also got a pretty hardy scalp.

embee
March 20th, 2023, 06:22 AM
Slow drying hair is one reason I began to stretch out my washes. Spending a day and a night with damp hair hanging around at near classic was just dangerous for the hair, and damp bunning did that "growth" thing foreveryours referred to. :( Summer isn't nearly so bad as I can go out on the deck and sit in the sun and the hair is drying in no time. Winter is just the opposite. Although my house is very dry indoors during winter, my hair just hangs there damp. Odd. Tiresome.

illicitlizard
March 20th, 2023, 08:38 AM
Damp bunning is something I do as a last resort if I didn't plan ahead and have to go out and do things anyway after washing my hair. Hairdryers take too long for my poor planning sometimes.
I hate it, my hair will still be damp when I bring it down, no matter how long I have it up for. It feels gross having damp hair (like, the physical texture of damp vs dry hair) and don't particularly want water damaged hair, so tend to avoid if I can.
Heatless curls that require slightly damp hair overnight however, I'm ok with!

lapis_lazuli
March 20th, 2023, 02:53 PM
Aside from the fact it would take my hair several days to dry in that state, it would simply be too heavy and probably painful to wear. I've already learned I have to wait until my hair is 90%+ dry before putting it up or I won't be able to smooth my scalp hair out properly and it will pull.

angel-baby
March 20th, 2023, 05:22 PM
I don't like damp bunning. I've never gotten good results from it, and my hair doesn't dry fully. I wish I could get the gorgeous waves that some people get from it.

SandyBottom
March 20th, 2023, 05:35 PM
I love damp bunning BECAUSE my hair doesn't dry fully. I tend to have dry ends otherwise. As a matter of fact...it's in a damp Nautilus right now:)

SeppV
March 21st, 2023, 05:25 AM
I suppose there is a difference between WET and DAMP too, of course...

baanoo
March 21st, 2023, 06:56 PM
I suppose there is a difference between WET and DAMP too, of course...

Yessss this here - I damp-bun my hair frequently (in winter I won’t if I’m going out at all or else I’ll never warm up!) but it’s always at the 85%-dry mark.

AmaryllisRed
March 21st, 2023, 07:27 PM
Wearing a damp bun as I type this. Takes way too long to dry.

Shorty89
March 21st, 2023, 10:32 PM
I used to love damp bunning. I have never washed every day so there was always enough time for my hair to fully dry between damp bunnings. They usually happened when I was in university and showered before I left the house in the morning. It always made my hair, particularly my ends, super soft. Unfortunately, with scalp eczema, I can't do damp hairstyles often. I rarely do them anymore.

ETJ CURLS
August 25th, 2023, 07:53 PM
I'm convinced that damp bunning was a huge contributor to me having severely broken hair in places on my left side c. 2021. Once I became aware of the issue I've mostly switched to braiding or using a claw clip when my hair is wet/damp.

Fiore
August 26th, 2023, 02:14 AM
Sometimes I do it, too. Mostly during summertime if I don't have time to air dry. But I prefer damp braiding rather than damp bunning.

Für immer
August 26th, 2023, 03:45 AM
I don't like it.
My hair gets a tangled mess, and there are always badlooking waves afterwards, plus I don’t think it's good for your hair to leave it wet for too long.

yes, I realize damp and wet isn't the same thing, but try telling my hair that. Bunning it damp makes it take forever to dry.

fairy_hair
August 26th, 2023, 02:56 PM
If I don't allow free air flow to my roots after washing, I end up with scalp acne and itching, and it gets greasier faster too if I bun when wet or even if i fail to fingercomb the hair so it can dry faster. So not for me!

eunioa
September 1st, 2023, 07:36 AM
I don't really know, I've done it multiple times & I don't notice any benefits or the opposite. It's kind of annoying though because my hair already takes hours to dry loose, so, when bunned it takes foreverrr. Also, sleeping with buns is uncomfortable.

ArienEllariel
September 2nd, 2023, 07:18 PM
Bunning my hair while it's still damp really doesn't go well for me. It'll never dry properly if it's still wet in some way.

angel-baby
September 6th, 2023, 11:48 PM
I never get good results from it. The waves don't look good, and I end up with flippy bent ends and flat roots.

ETJ CURLS
October 22nd, 2023, 01:57 PM
Recently I've been revisiting this concept, because buns are SO quick and convenient after washing if I'm trying to look presentable in the least amount of time before running out of the house. The issue is, buns work best for me when my hair is still wet or damp (unless I've taken the time to blowdry, but that defeats the "quick" part of the equation), so I'm trying to figure out how best wear buns when my hair is damp without causing breakage.

So far, I'm testing two main changes:

1. Only using silk or satin scrunchies (I've found some thin ones that match my hair colour/outfits) to reduce friction. (In the past, I exclusively used the regular goody hairties - not the ones with the metal though.)

2. Utilizing hairsticks more. I've recently gotten my hands on some sturdier, shorter sticks that are easier to manage inserting and wearing, and therefore am able to do some more complex buns that let my hair dry a bit better since the buns aren't so compressed. Additionally, the stick relies on the natural pressure caused by the loop(s) to keep itself in place vs being actually wrapped around the hair, so hopefully that will reduce friction as well. (Flexis do the same thing, but I only have one atm.)

While I'm still wearing braids as my go-to style majority of the time, I'm very curious to see if these small changes will yield positive results.