PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get your hair trimmed

BeccaAngel
May 10th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before... But I just wanted to ask.:)

Jean Stuart
May 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I like to go every 6 months but will stretch it to a year out of laziness.

growingpains
May 10th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I voted 2, but it's more like 3... sometime maybe 4.

Intransigentia
May 10th, 2011, 05:02 PM
In the past it's been annual - every late spring/summer I'd go in and say waah my hair is too thick and heavy and unmanageable* please remove it. Which is how I went from heavily-layered SL to just past APL and back, for years and years.

I've made a resolution: Now that I've learned how to manage my hair, I'll be getting more frequent - like maybe twice a year? - very small trims.

* Ooh hee hee hahahaha that was before I joined LHC and saw ACTUAL thick hair, way way way longer than mine, and far from impossible to deal with.

pepperminttea
May 10th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I voted once a year, since it's often closer to that than to six months. Really though, I don't have a set schedule, I just do it when necessary.

Coan-Teen
May 10th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I answered never because I've thus far not needed any trims since beginning my growing process. I suppose if I did, I would get one, but it would be on a strictly as needed basis, not on any kind of schedule. Maybe add an infrequent option?

christine1989
May 10th, 2011, 05:05 PM
This poll really needs an other/cheese option! I have my trimaholic bouts where I trim 3+ times a month but have also gone over a year with no trimming at all. I am nothing if not inconsistent ;).

mistik
May 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Truly my answer would be as needed... selected once a year as that's probably about how it works out.

Firefly
May 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I self-trim whenever I feel like I need it-- I've gone over a year without touching it, and other times have done a dusting a few months in a row. It really depends!

spidermom
May 10th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Every 3 months seems to be the right schedule for me, maybe 4 months if my ends are holding up really well. One thing I know for sure, a year is too long!

ooo
May 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Twice a year seems to do the trick for me.

Messyhair
May 10th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Last time was 1.5 years... this time I plan on it being a year. When I grew it out last time, it was every 3 months. It doesn't seem to be getting longer any faster this time around. I guess I was trimming only a small amount every 3 months, and now I'm trimming off a bigger amount at a time, so it works out.

Mesmerise
May 10th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Well I put every six months, cause that used to be pretty standard for me pre-LHC. Of course I was going to a regular salon and probably getting more trimmed off than I'd usually like.

Now though I'm planning on 3 monthly trims (of 1cm) until I get to waist, and then I'm going to maintain for at least a year (with maybe a wee bit of growth) so it will thicken up at the hemline, and to do so I will trim 1cm a month (my hair grows errm maybe 1.3 to 1.4 cm a month so I guess my hair WILL get a bit longer in this time, but very slowly...like 3cm in the year or something!!)

staryfox6
May 10th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I hate going to the salon. One of the main reasons I have decided to "go long" is because then I never have to go back to the salon ever again! :P

boudica
May 10th, 2011, 07:51 PM
staryfox6! I'm with you. I never want to see the inside of a salon again!

I joined LHC in January 2011, and have learned a LOT since - like the ends that I was cutting off every year were 'fairytale' ends and not damage. I've learned how to S&D and I'm interested in finding out how fast and how far my hair will grow if I just let it do its thing. I'm oiling and bunning daily and otherwise taking very good care of it now. There's bound to be some difference.

I'm very curious to see what kind of growth pattern my hair will take on. It's been six months since my last trim and it's still pretty blunt. I'm somewhere between BSL and waist now.

My plan is to let it grow until it gets to hip length and see how I feel. I may keep that length and trim up regularly until it's blunt. I may aim for TBL or classic, if I'm giddy with the victory.

maborosi
May 10th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm trying to space it out to every 2 months. It seems like my hair isn't breaking much anymore, so I'm able to stretch it out, woo hoo!

~maborosi~

Ishje
May 11th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I alway's used to trim only once a year, but since I bleached my hair I have to trim a bit more often, so once every 6 months.

dinnee
May 11th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I take off half a cm to a cm (1/8 an inch to 1/4 an inch) every 2 months because I have quite a bit of damage in there. I want to see how long I can stretch it, but since I only started in January, I'm not sure how long I can postpone. :)

Night_Kitten
May 11th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I voted once a year, because so far that's what Iv'e been doing, but this year I'm trimming every 3-4 months to try and thicken up the ends, and when I like my ends again I'll go back to once a year :)

SwordWomanRiona
May 11th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I haven't gone to a hairdresser's since Primary school, I just do microtrims when I feel my ends need them, I don't have a fixed schedule. But I'm planning to do a 'more serious trim' from past classic back to classic with the aim of thickening up my ends a bit.

nobeltonya
May 11th, 2011, 06:33 AM
It depends.. I voted 2 months, but I try to stretch it as long as possible. I've been self-trimming for the past year now, but I'm considering letting my husband trim it, so it'll be even lol.. but, the last time I trimmed it (7 weeks ago), I did a dusting, but it wasn't enough. Now, I need about 1-2 inches taken off.. :P And, I've noticed small splits in the thinner hairs (not even the longest ones..), and I "search and destroy" those when I get a chance, because I keep a pair of scissors in my bag heh

jojo
May 11th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I trim every 3-4 months but put 6 as there wasnt an option for that. I tend to really go with how my hair looks and feels; if it requires monthly dusts it gets them but I do try to reach the 3 or 4 month mark. I tried yearly trims but my fine hair can't handle such a long gap.

JamieLeigh
May 11th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hmm. Whenever it looks/feels like it needs one. I was trimming 1/8" off every week, trying to maintain my length last year, but this year I'm not trimming at all. From one extreme to the other! I guess there is no option for me in the poll either. :p

elbow chic
May 11th, 2011, 09:17 AM
It's been well over a year for me.

I put "never" but I do plan to trim again when the need arises. I don't mind an un-even hemline, and my ends still look and feel good, so I'm leaving well enough alone for now.

JulietCapulet
May 11th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Once or twice a year.

celebriangel
May 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Depends - in the past, normally once a year. This year it's been 3 times - once to even up my grown-out-pixie hemline, once to chop out my layers (but he gave me more layers...) and once to remove the d*mn layers once and for all.

And now I'll be back to once a year, probably. I'm amazed my hair has grown at all, but it's gone from APL to BSL.

Loreley
May 11th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I do microtrims every month.

Druid of Alba
May 11th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Once a year, and I always try to cut my hair during a new moon in either Scorpio or Cancer. So there are only a few days a year that I can even get my hair cut on :p

curlymarcia
May 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I am trying to change it from every 3 months (sometimes only 2 months) to 6 months. Wish me luck.

BeccaAngel
May 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I am trying to change it from every 3 months (sometimes only 2 months) to 6 months. Wish me luck.

Good luck! :)

Kathie
May 11th, 2011, 10:46 PM
This year I'm aiming for one trim... i.e., no trims for a year :p so I chose the once a year option. But before that it was every 2-3 months.

krissykins
May 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM
As often as it needs it, which is usually every 6 months.

Raqdoll
May 11th, 2011, 11:54 PM
I also try to wait as long as possible. Although I may do tiny trims on a monthly basis until I get rid of these layers (ugh!) but it's okay because I just learned how to do it myself and trimmed off some some ends that were getting kind of velcro-ish :) ::happy dance!::

Avital88
May 12th, 2011, 12:33 AM
It changes all the time i used to trim every 6 months before and once i waited 9 months but now my ends are too thin in my opinion and i'm gonna trim my hair next week and in august. Might take off a bit more than planned because my V hemline is bothering me too much.

Phexlyn
May 12th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I voted every 2 months, which is mostly accurate. I try to trim every month for thickening up the ends, but I forget it every now and then ;)

michaelw
May 12th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I opted for #2 - but it varies and then it is only a search and destroy splits - my stylist does it sooo well!

BLove
May 12th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Was getting it done ever 3months but after joingin LHC and making changes to my hair rutien I am now able to get one ever 6 months.

LadieRyrie
May 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Normally I get an inch trimmed off every six months. I have these horrible burnt-looking layers (which I can't figure out, since the only time I used heat on my hair was three times last year with a straightener) and I'm dying to get rid of them.

Once they're gone, I can probably manage with trimming off half an inch once a year.

embee
May 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Last time I cut/trimmed my hair was in August 2005. Have no plans to do it again ever. :D

ArienEllariel
May 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Somewhere around a year but it could be longer. I've been a little over a year since my last trim right now.

Blond Unicorn
May 13th, 2011, 08:02 AM
mostly I have a trim every 4-5 months .
I voted for 6months

Idun
May 13th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Usually every 6th month. But now I´m already in my 9th month after last trim. I really need one, but I´m scared of the hairdressermonster.

Hiriel
May 13th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I had my boyfriend trim my ends about four months ago or something like that. It was the first time in over two years. I trim if my hair looks like it needs it, but I'm trying to get a less blunt hemline actually, so I don't trim more often than I have too.

QMacrocarpa
May 13th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Cheese is easy to trim!

I'd say "as needed" which probably varies. I'm not really sure, I just started keeping track of things like when I trim my hair this year. Probably in the 6 months to a year range. I recently self-trimmed because I was noticing short broken ends in my tangle teezer and when I looked at my ends they were all splitty. No S&D for me, so it was time for a trim.

squiggyflop
May 13th, 2011, 12:44 PM
how often do i get my hair trimmed.. almost never.. how often do i trim my hair myself? about every 2 months.

i havent gone to a salon in a long time. they seem to think a centimeter is 3 inches long. plus they always RIP through my hair with seamed fine tooth combs while it is wet.. and they put the same amount of conditioner on my hair as they do on a woman with a pixicut.

i trim my hair when i feel like it needs a trim, which is usually like every 2-3 months. i might be able to stretch it now that ive got a tangle teezer

charalito
May 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I used to go to a salon every 6 months or so and wasn't liking the results. My last visit was a bit over a year ago. Now I trim my own hair according to the lunar calendar on specific signs, so it's about every 2 months. Those trims are minimal .5 - 1cm only, just to keep the ends in shape and get rid of my layers.