PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to "hold" styles? Specifically, bangs...

jenjen10
May 10th, 2011, 05:02 AM
There is NO WAY I can go without curling my bangs (and since I cut those anyway I d0n't worry about the damage) but I don't want to use hairspray on them to keep them in place because that makes me need to wash more often and I am trying to switch over to CO...

What will hold hair in place without causing buildup? or is that impossible?

Firefox7275
May 10th, 2011, 05:08 AM
You might try aloe vera gel or homemade flaxseed gel? These are used by some Curly Girls and can be washed out with just conditioner.

jojo
May 10th, 2011, 06:44 AM
it doesnt really matter using heat on your bangs/fringe as they get cut so regular. I have a fringe and blowdry daily with occasionally straightening them. As long as your not using heat on your length, theres nothing to worry about.

jojo
May 10th, 2011, 06:45 AM
You might try aloe vera gel or homemade flaxseed gel? These are used by some Curly Girls and can be washed out with just conditioner.

that might be difficult as fringes/bangs get greasy quickly; i find just using shampoo enough.

Chetanlaiho
May 10th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I use a conefree hairspray on my bangs after straightening them, I CO and from what I can tell it gets the hairspray out just fine :) (granted, I don't use a whole lot)

heidihug
May 10th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I use a light-hold hairspray on my bangs every day. There is absolutely nothing else that will work for me. Believe me, I've tried.

jojo
May 10th, 2011, 10:18 AM
See I cannot abide hairspray or mouses, mooses? mowses? aww i give up! (did i spell that right, sorry had a brain fart and cannot think how that is spelt; funny how that happens :D) in my hair. I just blowdry and run the straightener through once and its fine.

RadiantNeedle
May 10th, 2011, 10:24 AM
See I cannot abide hairspray or mouses, mooses? mowses? aww i give up! (did i spell that right, sorry had a brain fart and cannot think how that is spelt; funny how that happens :D) in my hair. I just blowdry and run the straightener through once and its fine.

Moosi!

<.<
>.>

I have no idea! *trundles off*

jojo
May 10th, 2011, 10:53 AM
^^ ha ha I still havent fathomed that one out>>>>>>>>>>>>jojo runs off and hides in shame!

RadiantNeedle
May 10th, 2011, 11:44 AM
It might just be mousse. Like sheep! There's no sheeps or sheepses!

jojo
May 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
ahhh I think you got it mousse but is that not the desert? theres a lot of these mousse things when you think of it ha ha!

CrisDee
May 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Hahahaha, you girls are too much! :rollin:

Somewhere I stumbled upon the best hairspray in the universe. Recipe:

Take one whole lemon, slice it up into your smallest saucepan. Cover it with about 1 1/2 cups of water, bring it to a boil, then simmer it for a couple hours. Strain it into a squirt bottle. Add a squeeze of aloe vera gel and a blob of honey for additional hold, and a couple tablespoons of alcohol (can use vodka) as a preservative. I'll tell ya, this stuff holds better than any commercial hairspray I've ever bought, with absolutely no buildup and no icky white flakes.

Here's a pic of the kind of squirt bottle I use -
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5166&pictureid=102559
this is the 8oz size, but Walmart sells this stuff in a 1oz size for 97 cents - and they sell empty squirt bottles for 97 cents. I like the fine-ness of the spray from the perfume bottle better than that of the empty ones, so I just dump out the perfume and use the bottle. It fits in my purse for touchups throughout the day, but I almost never have to touch up - even after walking behind jet engines to get to my airplane!

tinti
May 10th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Mousses :p

What about that "hairspray that dissapear as soon as you brush it out" thing? :p Elnette or something like that? Smells like grandma but it works when I've used it.